Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic
Page: of 25

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  3:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Is your publisher also going to enclose photographes? I hope so! I will be standing in line to buy this book. As I have said previously in this forum I'm not doing a lot of cooking and I haven't gotten a place set up to sew yet although I'm working on it.

That said I love your stories because they bring back so many memories of my grandmother and grandfather. I don't remember special aprons but I remember helping my "Mother Fahey" cook and being covered in flour and banging lots of pots. I believe I was around 4 at the time. And I remember her later, after she had moved out to the "farm" her in a plain apron cooking on an old wood stove. I also remember a strange story about someone running out of a burning house during the night with just her apron on. Now that's dedication to wearing your apron. I don't think it was my grandmother and I'm pretty sure that the house didn't burn down.

Thanks for all the great memories!!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  3:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Kathy ~ There will be either photos or drawings. I'd love some beautiful simple watercolors. Simplicity is what Farmgirls are all about. May I use your story? It's perfect.

Thanks,
P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Last night I was going through my old photo albums and I found a whole album full of Christmas dinner pictures. When I started looking through the years I noticed that there isn't a Christmas dinner that my mom wasn't wearing an apron. Now that I have my own apartment and am cooking for myself I've started to collect them as well. I really think it's fun to wear them grocery shopping or to your local farmers markets. I always keep my list in the pocket. Anyway it's just neat how something your mom does through the years unknowingly rubs off on you. Thanks for letting me share~
Kate

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Kate, any chance I can use your thoughts about your Mom's apron and holidays? I'd love to use a photo or two, as well. Please let me know. Thanks!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Anna, thanks for the beautiful memory! I htink fondly of my G'ma and Mom in their aprons when I was a girl. My Mom tried for years to get my sisters and I to wear aprons. I wear them now all the time and love being part of the legacy. I only wish I had their aprons so as to wear a hug from them.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:42:44 PM  Show Profile
CindyLou!!! It is like you looked in my apron pocket..I ALWAYS carry a hanky, chapstick and a mini leatherman tool in my pocket! Plus usually a hair tie (in case I need to get busy and my long hair is bugging me) and whatever I find laying around that needs to go somehwere else. (change, rubber bands, legos, hot wheels cars, barbie shoes and candy wrappers) I sure plan to try to get up there for the farm fair next July...I am dying to meet you all! You are right..Utah is not that awfully far from the farm!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  3:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Avery rainy day here on the Oregon coast so what do dyou do but sew aprons. I made two, one is a blue toile' clothespin apron for my cousin's b-day and the other is for me. Remember way back on this htread I made mention about Rosa, an older lady at my church who has aprons she and her MIL made in the 40's with feed sack bags. I made a pattern off one of them and made a "replica" of it. Tunred out cute. I am going to be doing a christmas fair with a friend and plan on making up a bunch from the styles of Rosa's.So I guess it is ok for the rain, cause other wise I be out in the garden cleaning up.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  3:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I've been wearing my MJF apron all the time lately, but with my ever-growing belly, I think I'm going to make myself a maternity apron. I'm not sure I've ever seen one, actually, but it will be fun to make. -Annie
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  3:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Better you than me, dearie. I found some great old '40s floral cotton (polished, I think, at one time) curtains which I intend to make into aprons. Will show you gals, when they're done.

Love,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  10:01:13 PM  Show Profile
A maternity apron would be cute! I bet there are patterns out there somewhere... if you don't want to make your own up!
My sis in law in Calif sent me an adorable new apron today with a feed sack look that said Dairy feed and has a cow head... very timely! I LOVE IT!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  10:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - I bet the 1941 apron pattern would make a great maternity apron since it doesn't have a waistband. Your new apron sounds cute!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile

Hi Jenny! Don't you just LOVE apron pockets?? So, now, we not only have the apron strings that hold us together, but the delight of wondering what treasures will show up in our apron pockets!! I, too, am always picking up little odds and ends up and stuffing them in my apron pockets. My favorite apron has one of those big all "across the front" pockets that holds a lot!! I even had a toothbrush and teeny toothpaste in my apron pocket at Farm Fair last year. Utah is NOT that far and I do hope you make it up next summer!! I feel like we're old friends. I can't wait to meet you!! You'll love Clare and Eileen! I am envisioning all the apron clad farmgirls arriving at the farm ~ it will be a grand time to visit and get to know each other!
love ya,

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  09:55:25 AM  Show Profile
An apron convention!!!!In Idaho!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  10:18:36 AM  Show Profile
it was such a beautiful breezy washline day that I washed all my kitchen curtains and aprons today.........
woohoo!!looks so purty!
what simple pleasures ,those aprons o' mine.

"Too Few Eggs of Blue" ( all my gals are broody or molty!!)

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 18 2005 10:40:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  10:25:26 AM  Show Profile
the 1941 apron pattern would be perfect for a maternity apron!! AnnieT..is a pattern from www.calicocat.com heck I should get a commision...I love their patterns so much I send everyone there. Check it though, Annie, really..cute! And simple. I like them made from 1930's retro new fabric...my favorites..I have made so many already!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  10:26:20 AM  Show Profile

Hey Meadowlark!! I have my fingers, toes, and apron strings crossed hoping that next summer you'll make it over for Farm Fair!! An apron convention indeed!! I envision a rainbow sea of farmgirls waving their aprons in the wheat field. I can't wait to meet you!! Just click those ruby red slipper together and land at the farm instead of OZ!!
love ya,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  10:27:45 AM  Show Profile
With the highs pushing 90 degrees think I will do the same and wash up my 'prons and sheets for that one of a kind country fragrance...pure sunshine and soft winds.Cindy Lou Sweet Who...I am stashing some twenties faithfully in my ruby slippers to make the journey to the "land of aprons and farmgirls". Hopefully my size 6 red shoes will hold lotsa 20's for the journey...if not..I will stash the rest in my little "dorothy basket minus Toto"!

Edited by - MeadowLark on Oct 18 2005 10:31:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile
CindyLou Sweet Who - I like that! Don't look now, but I think you've been christened an official Who, CindyLou! Did you get my suggestion about a Farmgirl University? That would be so much fun when we get together next year. I can't wait. Stashing my 20s in my bra where they're safe. (no one ever goes in there).

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Jenny, the Calico Cat link doesn't work. Got another one for them?

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  11:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Patricutah...Hey that's a thought...bet my bra could hold enough 20's for 15 farmfair trips!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message

JENNY!!!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:19:03 PM  Show Profile
I'll jump in here with the site: www.thecalicocat.com Click on the patterns button, and then aprons. I'm on the edge of making an order myself. Maybe tonight, when I'm weary and my inner voice cannot convince me that I have too many projects going right now. . . .
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile

You girls are all too kind! I was born before the Cindy Lou Who of Grinch fame. Cindylou Sweet Who works for me!!
I'm tickled to hear that you're saving your $20's for a visit to Farm Fair July 1st and 2nd ~ the farmgirl gathering will be awesome!
Yes, Patricia, MaryJane and I are pondering your wonderful Farmgirl University idea. We all have so many talents and love to share our ideas and skills. I'll be in touch so we can brainstorm!!
sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy I just forgot the THE in the calico cat. Oops...glad you helped!!
Meadowlark Jenny you crack me up!! (maybe because the same is true of my bras!! haha)
I just can't wait to meet you all!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenny, stop bragging!!!