Page: of 25

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  4:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Wearing an apron gives me the feeling of purpose.
I enjoy cooking/baking so much more when I wear an apron. I get teased by my boys. But, it wearing it just makes me feel like the "official cook".
I've also started wearing an apron while working on my crafts for Sunday School, and even while teaching. It has saved my clothes from those whirling paint brushes more than a few times.

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  9:34:57 PM  Show Profile
At the Farm Chic Show in Fairfield, Washington this pasted weekend..there were aprons everywhere. Not only were vendors wearing them, but many booths had them hanging for decor and for sale. Of course the kitchen crew that was selling baked goods had them hanging as decoration. It looked so homey and old fashioned. I think they are catching on! Let's hope so.
I found two more to add to my collection this past weekend.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Edited by - Photobugs on Sep 27 2005 9:35:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

martin
chelmsford essex
United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile
To all who agree. Could we start an apron society which main aim is to getting everyone back to wearing aprons like they used to. What do u think Clare?
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  08:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
John, I really think that is what MaryJane's Farm "girls" are. Maybe not just a movement to wear aprons but to embrace the values that have gone out of style. After all isn't that what aprons represent not only the value of hard work but the value that people used to place on their clothing. There didn't used to be a big box store down the road where you could buy a new T-shirt for $7.00 and there wasn't a plastic bin to throw the old stained one in.

And the shirt or dress that was ruined wasn't made in Taiwan for $0.25 an hour it was made with a needle and thread or a treadle machine. Each stitch made a difference and was done lovingly by a person that you knew.

But at the same time MaryJane's farm "girls" aren't at all cookie cutter people. You are a perfect example of that. I have my desires to make an apron and I've bought some patterns but right now I don't have much opportunity to make or wear an apron. But I love to come here and read about every one's aprons and their memories because they make me think about my past and help me with my dreams.

So I think the greater goal might be to lead by example and wear your apron proudly but to also support the values behind the apron wearing of "making do". And learning to make not only things of beauty but also things of everyday use and also to do as much as you can to not add to the waste stream. Because in reality that's really where apron wearing went... We became a throw away society.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  08:55:43 AM  Show Profile
Very well said, Kathy! Yes, I agree, all we have to do as a collective group is to wear our aprons when we want and where we want, and people will begin to notice. Did you see the pic of us on Sunday that Julie posted? Cindylou and Julie both wore their aprons to the FarmChicks Sale. I didn't, but probably should have. Next time! Here's the link to two cool farmgirls, out in public, wearing their aprons:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-connection/images/cindylou-clare-julie.jpg

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Sep 29 2005 08:56:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, Excellent treaty on wearing aprons...Good thoughts! Thanks! You go John, head held high!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  12:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Im getting ready to make an apron, im not really satisfied with the pattern, but will use it.
Does anyone know ofa good pattern for an old fashion over the shoulders apron? with no cutesy frills or bunches of ruffles. :)
I know there is one in my MJ book, but it has to be blown up.
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  05:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
If you have something like a lazerquick close to where you live, they can blow up the pattern in MJ's book - that's what I did.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  11:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Shirley, the Calico Cat quilt shop in Auburn has a good one..you can order online at http://thecalicocat.com
Go to Top of Page

Kerrie
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kerrie
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  05:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, I haven't read through every single one of these posts, so I hope this wasn't already mentioned, but this: http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/edwardian.htm (scroll down a bit to "Edwardian Apron Pattern") is an awesome "vintage" apron, especially for doing "farmgirl" type things!
Jennie is a good friend of mine but I promise she doesn't pay me to endorse her patterns. LOL
It's the easiest thing to stitch up too, it looks awesome in those quilters calicos you can find right at WalMart and you can easily cut it out and put it together in an hour or two, even if you're a beginner.
It's just a shame that I always forget to wear mine and wind up completely covered in whatever goop I happen to be working with on any given day.

"Patience is the companion of wisdom." ~Saint Augustine
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  05:39:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kerrie for the link. I love that apron over the long skirt! I am usually in jeans, but just yesterday wore a long linen dress to the Historical Society and it was so comfortable and I felt so good in it -- I think it would be lovely to make a long dress and apron for the holidays -- what a fun site!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  5:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Kerrie ~ I just ordered the apron pattern from your friend. It's charming! Can't wait to make it. Wish I had a waist....

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  5:53:21 PM  Show Profile
oooh..I love that one too! may have to order than one next!! thanks Kerrie!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  8:38:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Shirley

Im getting ready to make an apron, im not really satisfied with the pattern, but will use it.
Does anyone know ofa good pattern for an old fashion over the shoulders apron? with no cutesy frills or bunches of ruffles. :)
I know there is one in my MJ book, but it has to be blown up.
shirley in oly

Shirley, I just made View A from Simplicity pattern, #4692. It's a mother/daughter pattern. I like it because there are no gathers or ruffles and it has a nice fitted A line look to it.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  12:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the apron pattern ideas evryone
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Saw the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played" yesterday. The Mom had a couple of great aprons. They were full coverage ones. WOuld love to have the pattern for those. Oh, and it was a good movie.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:03:27 PM  Show Profile
I picked up a magazine called Home Appliance at Lowe's today and on page 14 is an ad for a cute apron. It says:
Hot Hostess Apron
"Hostess aprons are reborn, and with them returns style and elegance to home entertaining."
Their website is: www.jessiesteele.com and I think the aprons are adorable. They have a retro look, but with an up-to-date flair. There are also men's aprons. The one shown in the Home Appliance magazine is listed at $44.
John, I think the pretty ones would appeal to you, they're very stylish. I think the black and white gingham is "to die for". One more thing, John, you say you stand for traditional values, however, traditionally men haven't been apron wearers have they? Certainly not pink gingham? Just curious.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the web site, Nancy. I love the kicky little flounces.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies ~ received my Edwardian apron pattern from Sense and Sensabilities today and it looks like a lot of fun. I'll let you know how it makes up - probably after Christmas as I have presents to finish first.
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:28:57 PM  Show Profile

By the way farmgirls!! MaryJane, Anna and Julie are busily working on the next Stitching Room Workbook that will come out in May 2006. You will find ten patterns for unique vintage aprons ~ the farmgirls here have had a great time doing research for this book! Have fun with your apron projects!!
Sunnily yours,

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  05:00:33 AM  Show Profile
...another selection from "This Way of Life"

My Mother's Apron
"Today I found one of my mother's old aprons. I took it from folds of blue tissue and tied it around my waist. The fine homespun material from Sweden fell almost to the floor--snowy white, bordered with crocheted lace. This was Mother's Sunday apron.
I remember her everyday aprons, toogenerous lenths of calico or gingham. I can see her carrying kindling,vegettables or eggs in her apron. The apron she always wore on baking days was a never-get-lost pot holder for taking bread from the oven.
With a vigorous flick of that apron Mother shooed chickens or animals from the garden. When unexpected guests came, Mother snatched off the soiled apron, wiped my dirty face, or did some quick dusting before she put on a clean apron and opened the door. Her apron was always a hiding place from which a shy child could peek.
And on cool summer evenings, Mother would wrap her apron around me for warmth and protection of mosquitoes. Together we'd stand and listen to the evening sounds.
What happy memories of childhood were brought by one priceless heirloom--my mother's apron."

Anna Kertscher

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  09:03:28 AM  Show Profile

Good Morning BlueEggBabe! Thank you for sharing "My Mother's Apron." I have fond memories of Sunday dinners at my grandmother's house. She always wore an apron, which was usally dusted with flour since her delicious home made rolls were always served with Sunday dinner. Her aprons also carried eggs in from the henhouse, which my cousins and I loved to find in the nests. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  09:50:14 AM  Show Profile
My grandma always wore an apron too..both my grandmas did now that I think about it. I bought some fabric for an apron not long back and it reminded me so much of my grandma..not the one I was closest too, but my dad's mom..and I think she had a similar fabric in an apron ...at least thats the way I remember it..and it is my favorite apron now.
I carry eggs in my apron every single day. I have tried overall pockets and was sorry..yikes. there is nothing like an apron.
I loved the "mother's apron" too..thanks so much for sharing!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:05:26 AM  Show Profile

Hi Jenny!! I'm sitting here writing in my favorite apron, which was a great find at the Farm Chicks Show last May. I keep all kinds of things in the pockets ~ chapstick, leatherman for opening packages, hankie, etc. I always wear an apron when I'm cooking ~ otherwise I end up with flour or vegetable matter all over my clothes. An apron allows me to be a more spirited (some might say messy) cook!!
I hope you make it up to the farm sometime ~ Utah isn't sooooo far away and I'd love to meet you!!
Sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  2:01:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Farmgirls! MaryJane and Cindylou said it's OK if I write a book about our apron stories. We've all enjoyed reading them so much I'm sure other people will, too. Of course, you will all receive credit for your contributions. I'll be contacting you separately for permission and if you have any other stories or ideas let me know. Also I am looking for an illustrator. It would be great to have both these books illustratd by a Farmgirl. If any of you artists want to work on it with me, let me know.

Thanks for all cooperation. Farmgirls rule!

Hugs
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page