Page: of 25

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Beauuuuuuuuutiful Kay! Love the pillow ticking purse too!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  10:28:20 AM  Show Profile
cute cute cute Kay...good luck at the booth!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile
TOOO, CUTE!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Those purses are adorable! As are the aprons!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  2:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Kay, You do a beautiful job on both the aprons and purses.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile
How fun are those! Love the purses. I really like the pillow ticking purse too. Good job!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Sep 16 2005 5:00:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Kay, the purses and aprons are really nice. Love the styles and the fabrics....perfect! I bet you sell out!

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  7:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Isnt it funny how instead of looking through your many boxes of fabric, and you know that you probably have just the right fabric) YA go to the store and buy more fabric to make that thing you have on your mine at the moment. ROFL
I went to get some old fashion looking fabric for an apron today, and I KNOW I have old fashion fabric in a box somewhere.
I didnt know really what I was looking for until I saw this little sunflower print ,a little smaller that a dime. I have seem it a dozen times, but this time it clicked. so I went to get a pattern, of course that one I found was all gone.APRONS MUST BE CATCHING ON.
anyways I got home and now excited to make it.
I dont like aprons that pull on the back of my neck, so Im searching, I think I have a pattern or two around here somewhere too.:)
shirley in Oly,Wa
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  8:56:59 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way about aprons on the back of my neck..that is why I like the '40s type aprons so well..they are more like putting your arms in "sleeves" and don't rub on the back of your neck at all. I was canning salsa today and didn't want to mess up one of my favorites so I used an older apron..butcher style and it has driven me nuts all day (nuts isn't a far trip for me..but still!!) Good luck with your apron making Shirley!! the fabric you got sounds so cute!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  6:40:57 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Aunt Jenny and Shirley! The reason I do not like butcher type aprons is because they tie around the neck in a way that pulls. I love the vintage style aprons because they lay on your shoulders instead.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, Made my bias tape and then got my apron done today! It was really fun. I wore it the rest of the day. It is hanging proudly next to my daughter's. I'm ready to make another one.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  7:38:17 PM  Show Profile
way to go Julia!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  8:39:54 PM  Show Profile
High five Julia!!! You rock!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile
My Aunt died from cancer a couple of weeks ago. My Mom called me yesterday to tell me that my Uncle came over and gave her 19 of my Aunt's aprons. My Mom, sister, and I are going to choose the ones we want this weekend. What a wonderful thing to have to remember my Aunt by. I'm glad her husband thought to give them to family rather than the Goodwill or something. Maybe he too understands the importance of aprons. Jan
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  11:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Kay I love your work. THat purse with the rosebud print, ruffle and chenile is so cute. Would you mind sharing who made the hankie print fabric you used on the first two of your aprons? I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jan, how wonderful to be able to recieve such a precious gift. I am happy for you.
I went toa an yard sale today and for $4 ame home with three small boxes for bias tape, ric-rac and all kinds of sewing things. I was very pleased.

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  8:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Fabrics had a great sale today. I got a couple of new apron patterns for $1.99 each. Woo hoo! Will probably have to wait until after the holidays to make them as I have lots of projects going for Christmas presents. Something to look forward to.

Happiness is something to do, something to look forward to, and someone to love.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  3:32:16 PM  Show Profile
A friend just cleaned out her sewing room and gave me 3 big bags of fabric. Lots of great prints. I feel an apron sewing marathon coming on!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everybody~For quite a while I've been tossing around an idea to write a book on aprons and buttons, two of my favoarite things. I used to be a reporter and still freelance. I'd like to include stories and photos like the ones we've been writing about in this thread, kinda give a history, maybe talk to pattern companies about the rise in people who want "retro" apron patterns, etc. Do you think it's a good idea and would anybody want to participate? Thanks, Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  1:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Go for it Patricia! I am in the process of photograghing all my aprons, new and vintage that I have collected, just to make a fun booklet for my coffee table and to give as gifts. I think your book would be a great idea with the resurgence of apron wearing. Don't know what I could do to help, but am available. Simply, Julia

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  7:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Julia, what I had in mind, and things could change, was a kind of "this is what aprons, my Grandma's apron, my Mom always wore an apron, means to me" kind of thing. Like we are all discussing and if you have photos, so much the better. An "over the back fence" kind of thing, for which the writers would receive credit.

All you'd have to do is tell me your story and let me copy photos if you have them.

Anybody wanna play?

Hugs,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I got the fabric for those two aprons at a small shop in the next town north of me. I honestly don't know what manufacturer it was but I do know that is a Royal Albert china pattern on the tea cups and tea pot. It was on the flat fold table -- I'm going up this week to see if they have more and I will let you know. I met a lady that is opening a tea room in our town and I may be able to consign my aprons, purses, and some tea cozies!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, I will start my brain a turning. I will be in touch.

Edited by - Julia on Sep 27 2005 09:26:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  11:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Julia, "As the Brain turns"....heh heh. Great! Thanks!

John, I think we teach best by example. When the world sees us wearing our aprons proudly, they'll want to wear them, too!

Apron farmgirls, UNITE!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  4:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Just the simple act of wearing my apron down my lane to my mailbox I can tell I walk straighter, prouder, with my head held high. I don't mean to sound like a dork, but wearing aprons puts a spring in my step.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page