Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  10:03:46 PM  Show Profile
I was at Walmart today looking through any magazines I might 'need.' I saw a neat picture in the Winter 2005 Issue of Country Almanac (I think it was) on page 20. They had used aprons on the walls as if they were art work. Looked real cute. I did not buy the issue as it was $6.95...yikes! Thought some of you night want to check it out just for fun!

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jo-Ann's Fabrics. They're finally having a sale on McCall's patterns so I was able to get the rest of those retro apron patterns I've been wanting all year for $1.99. They had some great fabric bargains too.

Does anybody know where I can find a 1/2" single fold bias tape maker? That way I can have the option of making 1/4" double fold too. Jo-Ann's doesn't cary them.

THanks.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan, I would have thought that JoAnn Fabrics would have had it. Maybe try JoAnn Fabrics on line or just google it. I have had one for several years and love it.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen, I asked two stores, they only carry the Dritz 1" regular and then two widths of the Clover brand that apply a fusible backing. There is a quilting store nearby I'm going to try before checking online.

Your grandmothers apron that you described sounds like what I've been looking for. Sure wish I could get a copy or a tracing of it to try and make. I'm a messy cook too. So bad I've got cooking jeans that show too many absent minded wipes.

Edited by - Susie Q on Sep 03 2005 4:39:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  5:19:00 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I were watching Forrest Gump last night and for the first time I noticed how wonderful Forrest's mom's aprons were!!! One especially (when Elvis was staying at their boarding house) was so cute!! When I pointed that out to husband he looked at me with the most blank stare. I guess I do "have it bad".

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile
That's so funny. As I read your post I LOL, and my girls asked what was so funny. I read it to them and they gave me a blank stare. I think probably similar to your husband's. Oh well, at least we get it!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  10:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, we're alot alike. I was watching The Grass Harp two days ago and when one of the characters dies she is wearing the neatest apron. The ends of the back/yoke pieces swing around to the front and create the pockets and armholes. That poor lady was dying and I was admiring her apron.

I wanna try to make it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  10:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I have seen the Grass Harp. Now would I be REALLY nuts if I watched it just to see that apron??? I assume it is a good movie too..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  3:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Back to school today. For home-ec today, in between applesause making, was starting to teach my daughter to sew. Her first project, what else, an apron. This week-end we will be going to the city, and she will be able to pick out the fabric. I think, however, I am more excited about the apron than she is, though I think my apron wearing is staring ot rub off on her. As I was sitting at the compter she came in the room clad in an apron, she was making cookies. So hopefully I've got the next generation started.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Julia, Your post made me smile! Thank You!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:47:55 PM  Show Profile
OO! I hope the smile wasn't for my poor spelling! Yikes!

I just found out that my G'ma's Singer featherweight has a seam binding attachemnt. I can even do two bindings of different widths and or colors at one time. No Pinning!! Can't wait to try it.

Edited by - Julia on Sep 07 2005 3:50:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  3:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Julia, that is so cool that you and your daughter are sharing this together. I love it when my 12 year old dons her apron and says "lets get to work". She likes to help bake sometimes, but not often enough. I gave my oldest daughter a half apron before she went to college this year. She is living in an apartment. I printed up some of my favorite recipes for her. Maybe she will actually cook, instead of eat like a college student on the run. How old is your daughter?

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:56:13 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is 13 and loves to be in the kitchen, but the apron thing for her is new. I think once she makes her own she will be more apt to wear it. As I was looking for aprons at the 2nd hand store she made mention that she only like to wear ones that have come from family, "the others have no history,for me". hmm.
Funny story. Yesterday a friend was by (she is a farmgirl too, and the other person in our local chapter). We visited, had tea and fresh scones with rose geranium jelly, and then she left to run errands, leaving her daughter to spend time with mine. I was fixing supper, donned in apron, when they, she and her 9yo son came back. I opened the door, and her son just stood there looking at me. No expression,just stared. He finally said, "Are you having a Maryjane moment"? I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. It was worth overcooking the potatoes!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh Julia that is a classic...I hope the girls at the farm read this...especially MaryJane! My daughter will be 13 in November! I have my fingers crossed, she seems to be the more domestic of the two of my girls. The other day we were grocery shopping and she eyed a feather duster. She asked if I would buy it for her! She said she read somewhere that they were good for light dusting...and needed one for her room. I about fell over.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile
So did she get the duster? I love it when my gilrs surprise me with things like that. My oldest was always domestically inclined, She has been maarried for 2 years, is able to be home and loves to wear aprons. My middle girl, who is 21, is in no hurry to get married. I love having girls. Because we homeschool, we have done a lot of home-ec. I figure anything to encourage them like dusters and aprons is the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:39:07 PM  Show Profile
You bet I let her get it! Last weekend she was dusting my bookcases with it at my request. I adore daughters too! Mine are the light and joy of my life!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile
She is always welcome to come dust at my house, I hate dusting. I even have a duster she can use!

Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile
You girls always make me laugh! My daughter is 16 and thinks I've lost my mind when I'm wearing my apron around the house - we used to both wear them when baking, but she's at "that age"...she's really a great kid, but I guess she doesn't think it's "cool". I can't imagine what she'll say when I want to wear it around her friends...I'm going to the thrift store tomorrow with the hopes of finding some great stuff. I bought an old apron pattern last month for about $2 but I think I'll have to trace it onto Parchment Paper to use it, because it's fragile. Julia, you're right to encourage your girls - all we can do is teach the next generation(s) and hopefully pass down the customs.

Deb P

"Well-behaved women rarely make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  2:04:18 PM  Show Profile
My girls (ages almost 11 and almost 9) are clamoring for new aprons..they wear some old ones that they arn't thrilled with right now..so I promised them new ones by their birthdays which are only a couple weeks away and only a week apart..good excuse to get more fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am thrilled that they are wanting to wear aprons like me!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:41:38 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I bought our fabric for our aprons. She picked out a vintage stripe and mine is a vintage calico. She picked out the diner pattern that Aunt Jenny has used. I'm excited. I will be making my own bias tiape for mine. I haven't done that since high-school, 30 something years ago. Wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  11:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hey Julia this is Julia! (sorry, I get a kick out of doing that!LOL) I bought material for my apron today too! Now I just have to decide which apron pattern to use...I have two that I'd like to try. The first one is out of MaryJane's book - has anyone made that one? I was wondering how big it is after the pattern is enlarged. I picked up another pattern at the fabric store which is similar and I'd like to try that one too...decisions, decisions...

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  9:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Yeah for Julias'! We got our fabric cut out today. I realized I need to get my daughter shears that are for lefties, if they make them. It was amazing the angles she would turn her hand to make the scissors work for her. Then I realized, after picking out the color of bias tape for her apron, once home it is the wrong size. As we got it two hours away, we may be making our own.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  06:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I've picked up bias tape in the wrong size too. If it's too large, it's easy to cut down, iron it out, and refold it. (and end up with twice as much!) Just a thought!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare! Fortunetly it worked fine. My daughter got her apron done today. For using bias tape for the first time, she did really well. I was very proud of her. She didn't stop till she finished, except when she helped me to pick beans and to have dinner. She wore it proudly so that I could take a picture to send to her Nana. It is hanging proudly on the herb drying rack for all to see. She told me that she is going to have to make cookies tomorrow so that she can wear it. She also let me know that she won't be wearing it all day like I do. I'll be patient!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Sep 13 2005 8:01:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  08:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Missy, Cheryl, & I have a booth at the NW Neighbors Market on Saturday. Wanted to share pics of some of the aprons and purses I've been sewing.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/therusticcottage/album?.dir=7598&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page