Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:33:13 PM  Show Profile
I am going to make some of the clothespin aprons for sure for Christmas gifts..they will be fun..only for my friends and relatives that are clothesline users of course. I am glad to hear the everyday apron turned out good too...the sheep fabric sounds cute!
Susan...your apron sounds so cute. Folks really dont "get it" how much work things are. Especially smocking!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  6:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm on my way to making my first apron. Got a McCalls pattern (on sale for .99), found some cute vintage fabric at Joann's, and have it cut out. So far so good. We'll see what happens when I'm wrestling with the bias tape.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  8:00:24 PM  Show Profile
you go Jan!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Oop! When I made mention about making the clothespin apron I attributed the post to "Brigette". The web site given was about a lady named Brigette. I can't find which one of you girls gave the post now. Sorry! I showed the one I made to my mom and she wants one too. They really are great things. After I modified it a bit, it was a snap to make.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Susan - good for you for telling her that!! It is an insult when someone makes that kind of offer. Obviously she doesn't sew or appreciate handmade things or she'd know they are worth much more. I had a lady that saw one of my rag quilt pillows. She wanted me to make two for her plus a matching throw for her couch. When I told her the price I never heard from her again!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  4:19:35 PM  Show Profile
I must say that I am just learning what you, Susan and Kay, apparently are much better at: asking for the "right" price of things! I admire you for telling people what you want for the stuff you make. I got better, but I am still so easily under-appreciating myself!
I had (so called) "friends" take advantage of that shortcoming of mine for years! They more or less scrupulously got "cheap labor" out of me. My own fault, but it hurt anyway. But that's probably another topic... Anyway, hats off to you!

News from the "Apron Front":
I did a little window-shopping-spree today and the shops (vintage, higher end home decor, antiques...) and boutiques are presenting aprons at each and every corner!! OR is it just that I am sensitized by this website???
I was thinking, while looking at all those products: too bad we all are so far apart! If the people from this site who are really good at and interested in and creative with aprons could get together, there would be a cottage industry born in no time at all!!!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile
I bought four vintage curtain panels this weekend that would make perfect aprons. All four for 25 cents. I just need to gather them and add a tie. They will be half aprons, from the waist down. But I figure I can sell them and most of the work is already done. I am always looking for something to turn into something else to turn a profit...can't help myself... it's the enterpaneur(sp?)in me. One day I plan to get a booth at the MaryJane's Farm Fair or The Farm Chicks Show and peddle many of my goods. I think these one time curtains turned aprons would be a good seller.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  7:45:24 PM  Show Profile
And how smart are you, Pamela!!!! All the seams and the time consuming work aready done! Good for you!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman

Edited by - realme52 on Aug 29 2005 7:46:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouraging words, Klara.

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  9:19:56 PM  Show Profile
I was going through my curtian stash the other day, and came across some I made years ago, from some fabric my uncle found in an attic as he was working on an estate sale. It is off-white, sheer cotton. I had thought they would work to make into aprons but they need jazzing up. Any thoughts?

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:02:09 PM  Show Profile
How about some rick-rack? Maybe some kitchen or farm-themed appliques? Buttons?
Multi-colors of ribbon? You'll come up with something:)

Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Sheer cotton? You could use hankies for skirt points and/or pockets or use fabric from a favorite piece of clothing that can't be worn anymore maybe pockets made out of a shirt from each of your kids. How about embroidered patches, butterflies and roses scattered across the skirt. If it's very sheer you could put a stronger colored print underneath it and make it reversable.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Klara -- thanks for your kind words. It is very hard for me to price the stuff I make too. I think the problem I have is that I take my work so personally and when someone doesn't want to buy it, it's like a rejection of me. So by pricing things lower they will sell and it validates me. I especially have this problemon eBay -- when someone doesn't bid I take it personally, like my stuff isn't as good as the next persons. But I have gotten past that, for the most part, and am charging what I want. If they buy ok and if not, someone else will. And if it doesn't sell I'll give it to someone as a gift. Guess I won't get rich this way but I don't sew to get rich -- I sew because I love it.

Aprons are everywhere! I don't think it's because we're looking for them because of this site, it's because they are becoming popular again.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  11:24:47 AM  Show Profile
You gals are right...Apron fever is sweeping the land, and I think it has to do with our uncertain times. They represent Mom, security, home, simple pleasures, wholesomeness. I wore my vintage bib down to my mailbox today and a woman in a minivan took a double take. I know she saw the apron. The look of a hunter gatherer was on her face.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I think MeadowLark hit the nail on the head with her explanation of what fuels the apron "wave"!
The fact that we need reassurance in those areas is nothing to be ashamed of. I wear my apron proudly, sending the "message" to myself, my family and out to whoever may see it.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  8:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sleepless Reader and Sue for the ideas, you have my brain whorling. They are great suggestions, I really like the button and the reversible ideas.

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  3:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I did it!!! I finished my first apron. It turned out so cute. I just love it. It looks like it's straight out of the 40's. I can't wait to start another one.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Jan. Everytime I have finished one I feel the same way..I get right on the next one!! If you have a way to post pictures I would love to see it!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Jenny I wish I could post a pic, but my camera broke about a year ago so I've been without pictures of anything!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile
A dream come true! Last night we were haveing dinner at a friends house. As I was longingly looking at her treadle sewing machine, I asked," WOuld you let me come play on it?" Her DH said' "You an have it!" I laughed and she said "If you want it, you can have it.' Needless to say, it is now in the family room of my house. I have wanted a treadle for a very looong time. SO my first mission after I get good at it is to make my friend an apron on it. I am so excited!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile
There was a great article in the Kansas City Star on aprons. I cut it out. I'll see if I can find it online and post it. It was about the resurgence of aprons.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile
This past week my sister in law was here for a visit and when she saw the apron I was wearing in the kitchen she said" Hey that looks like the apron mom made for grandma all the time." I told her that the pattern was in the stuff that was going to the trash when we cleaned out mom and dads house so I grabbed it and brought it home. I had never made it until last year. It is a full coverage apron with three deep big pockets in the front. It buttons on top in the back and is tied at the waist with a sash. It comes down to just below my bottom. I love it because it covers all of me and I am a very messy cook. I sewed a loop to hold a dishtowel so I have something to wipe my hands on besides the back of my jeans. Hubby is always teasing me about the big flour hand prints on my seat. Any way I got to hear the history of that apron pattern for the first time this past week. Grandpa and grandma were in the first group of german homesteaders in washington on the polouse and had a substantial farm. They had a bunk house and many hired hands that worked the farm with them. It was grandmas job to keep the folks fed and in clean laundry so she lived in her aprons. One for the kitchen and one for the laundry time. For years she hand sewed all of her aprons by lamp light at night. When Harold married Melba my parents in law, Melba took on the job of keeping grandma in aprons. She found this pattern and used it as long as grandma and grandpa were on the farm. When the boys took over and grandma and grandpa moved to town to retire the pattern went into retirement too. I guess the bit of history in the apron did not interrest Nikki my sister in law until she saw me in the apron. I love it and intend to keep on making this apron as long as I need them and will pass it on to my daughter.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  10:50:45 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful and heartwarming story, Eileen! History comes alive!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  2:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow Eileen..that is such a neat story!!
I felt so strongly about some repro '30s fabric that I HAD to buy that I need to send a peice to my mom just to see if it looks as familiar to her as it did to me when I saw it and had to buy it!! I made an apron from it..my favorite so far..in fact I am wearing it now. I hope she has a story to go with it. It reminds me of my grandma!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, That is the neatest story I have heard! How precious for you to have the pattern for your use. Traditions are so important, I believe even more so as our world seems to be unraveling at the seams.
So keep on a sewing!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page