Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  9:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Your apron is absolutely darling! I have started on the aprons for my girls for Christmas. I have pieced the dresden plate pieces left over from my wedding quilt. I haven't decided if I will make them into a pocket or quilt it on the bib of the apron. I just finished a clothespin apron for my friend for her birthday. I used the idea of the european pattern that Brigette posted. I plan on making one for myself. Simply, Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  9:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Jenny you are so incredibly talented! You should make and sell these! (I'd be interesting in purchasing one!)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:21:35 PM  Show Profile
SuzyQ...forgot to answer your question..the calender I mean is the one that came with the chapter kits...it only has through August on it..so I am hoping for a new autumn one...but it has some ideas on it. the harvest apron pattern is in MJ's book...I adore the fabric used on the big front pocket!!
Thanks so much Molly. I keep thinking about selling them..just not good at pricing and like that. I for sure have enough of an apron wardrobe for myself now!! I lost count how many I have. I cut out three more tonight..all in vintage repro prints. One for me and two for extra..when I get them done maybe I will post them and sell them. I will have to see how they turn out.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Jenny:
Your apron is cute, cute, cute!! I LOVE the red, how festive! Wow, and you have three more cut, how do you do it all?! Do you make your own bias tape?
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  09:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Kay! Wasn't it fun? ARe you completely hooked now? :o)
Meadowlark, I can't wait to see your pictures, it sounds just adorable.
Dedicated Accumulator - WELCOME! It's always nice to have another MO girl, and even nicer that you are adding to our ranks of "Apron Talk." Where in MO? There are 4 or 5 other MO farmgals, so we are growning. Yee-haa!

It was so much fun reading and catching up. I haven't been on the forum for the last several days and boy have I missed you all. I've been working late into the evening on my business at home and we have had email problems here at work so I couldn't even log on. I feel like I've missed so much, but it's heartwarming to be able to jump right back in and read about all the good finds. You've all brought a smile to my face and given me a boost to get back to the machine. I don't guess I read back far enough, though, whatever happened to the traveling apron idea? Is that a go?

Clare, you were so funny, I had to laugh outloud, "Breath, Meadowlark, breathe." Meadowlark, do you really want to be cured? :o) Cured of fun!? Please, don't do it. :o(

Don't mean to keep bringing this up, but when you asked about wearing aprons in public I have to admit that I have done that on several occasions. As I have mentioned before, my home business requires me to wear aprons, which I do with pride and in great fun. Well, once I have it on, I forget about it; sometimes I have to go into the store before or after my shows, and as you might guess - my apron is usually still on. And as you have already said, it either creates strange looks or interesting conversation. Isn't it nice to have a "uniform" that is so-o-o-o comfortable? Think about all the jobs that require uniforms. There are many that I wouldn't think of wearing all day - policemen, men's business suit & tie, women's business suit, hose & heels, even the funny little vests they wear at the theatre. Aprons just seem to be alot more comfortable and personable - but I know that's a whole matter of perspective. I'm not judging anyone else's uniforms, just saying I would rather wear an apron before I would choose to wear any of the others. There is a purpose and place for everyone.

Well, girls, my print job just came back from the printer, so I must assemble presentation binders. I will check in from time to time now that email is back up and running. Have a great day of blessings - and treasure hunting.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
All of your aprons are making me want to make one! I'm so plain-jane though, I just want to make a simple one in off-white linen with some neat ribbon trim - an unexpected kind of trim. Guess that's sort of my trademark: plain-jane fabrics with the unexpected somewhere on it. I made a wool skirt once, long, A-line, fully lined of course, and added thick cotton furniture trim on the bottom of it, and a matching little purse. You would never guess how many people thought I had a designer outfit - wanted to know if it was Versace or something! LOL! As if I EVER spend lots of money on anything.

I wear jeans most of the time so I could see a simple apron like that going over my jeans and habitual button-down shirts (when not plain white cotton) pretty nicely.

Lynda, what kind of work do you do? You mentioned getting things back from a printer so I was wondering. I'm a graphic designer so I sit in front of a computer all the time (save now with a messed-up back, I get to lay down with a laptop because I can't sit!)
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny. My bookstore is ordering MJ's Idea book for me I should have it next week. I can't wait.

I love the aprons you made.

Edited by - Susie Q on Aug 25 2005 10:11:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  1:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Got to let you all know that I made a "spontaneous apron" last night. It only took me about an hour. I bought this really pretty table "runner" at a vintage/junk store. Well, not so much of a runner, it was more like a square of off white fabric with elaborate baskets, fruit spilling out, leaves, pumpkins, embroidered and applique'd. Close to one corner was a large whole. So I cut that corner off, diagonally, just below the whole. I had a card of off white double fold bias tape, which I used to make the strings/waistband. I just gathered the material at the cut off edge to the width I wanted it. (Makes sense?) Then, from the cut off corner part I made a small pocket. Turned out marvellous! I wore it today with pride! About $3 material cost made me feel like a million bucks and I rescued a handmde item in the process.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Gee, I don't know why, but all of a sudden I have a big urge to run to the fabric store and make an apron tonight!! I've never tried one, but what the heck, gotta start sometime. What is it about aprons that are so comforting? I still remember baking with my mom and putting on her full size apron. I wish she still had it. My sister misses it too.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Klara, what a great Ideal. My daughter and I were actually talking today about using vintage linens for aprons. I have so many runners, tableclothes and such that I should look through for possible apron wearing.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Molly, I have wanted to ask you for some time, What does "Cead Mile Failte" mean?

Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Julia, thanks for the courage to ask! I had the "Cead Mile Failte" question, also. But being my true self, I was too shy to ask. Sounds like something Gaelic and like everyone should immediately know what it means. I am looking forward to the lifting of the veil, if Molly chooses to end our wondering...
Using vintage linens for aprons is actually very convenient in many aspects: most of the work is already done for us (and in most instances we would probably not even be able to dothat kind of work, for time-and/or ability-constraints). And, specifically when we use a piece with some damage, it is a good way to honor the piece and bring it to good use. Also, we are actually using a piece of fabric, that would otherwise just be sitting in a drawer feeling left out!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Isn't Cead Mile Failete "One Hundred Thousand Welcomes" or something?
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  12:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Ok, girls check out Country Home mag, Oct issue page 89, custom aprons!!! Someone has started a business, you girls get busy!!!!!!! I need to buy one!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Kim -- what is custom about them? Tell, tell!!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Kim, Kim, Kim!!!!! What was on the cover? I can read but sometimes 4,000 similar magazines on the newstand tend to blur my brain and I have always been cued to visual images...just a quirk of mine I guess.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:24:39 PM  Show Profile
It is a table and chairs, 2 of which are windsor and fall leaves on the ground. fabric pattern on far left of mag is gold, pumpkin and a sage green. Country Home is in a deep orange. The one in the mag is custom for "shopgirl". Apparently they fashion them from new and vintage fabrics. Halter style to mid thigh. website is www.42ndandorange.com (I have not been there yet.)

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  6:05:51 PM  Show Profile
I went to the website and the aprons are cute but nothing I would get real excited about. But it does give me a great idea on what kind of prices are being charged.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  9:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Klara, I bought a cute old linen hand towel today at a yard sale. It has crochet lace and embroidery on it. It is the perfect size to make an apron for a little girl. Go thing tomorrow it Saturday!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  12:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia! Yes, "Cead Mile Failte" means "One Hundred-Thousand Welcomes" ... Lynn, you know your Gaelic!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  12:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Julia, great idea!
I agree with Kay. Looked at the website and those aprons are "fine". I think they can not be too labor intensive if she wants to make any money on them! That's usually the problem with those handmade items: when you do them REALLY nice and REALLY special, it's so much time that goes into it and you'll never get paid for you investment!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  5:48:49 PM  Show Profile
I finished another apron last night..my favorite yet..wore it all day today...had a house and yard full of company...it is a 1940's repro fabric ...my favorite yet mostly blue and some red and yellow. and has red bias tape trim. I was going to stop making them for me..but I HAD to keep this one!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  10:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- the apron sound so cute!! I just love the 40s blue and red colors. My daughter starts school on Wednesday, the sewing room is organized, and I'm hoping to finally get an apron done from that pattern.

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  11:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you made the "everyday apron" out of MJ's Ideabook? It's wonderful! I made myself one out of a thrift store find--a poly/cotton sheet with SHEEP on it. I made my toddler daughter a matching apron (looks like a bubble pinafore) using a pattern from the 60s. I made all of the bias tape, and let me tell you, unless you have a bias tape maker, or absolutely can't find a ready made match, BUY THE STUFF. It takes forever to press. I also made the clothespin apron from the MJ book, and love it, too. Annie.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by realme52

Julia, great idea!
I agree with Kay. Looked at the website and those aprons are "fine". I think they can not be too labor intensive if she wants to make any money on them! That's usually the problem with those handmade items: when you do them REALLY nice and REALLY special, it's so much time that goes into it and you'll never get paid for you investment!

I know what you mean. I made a pleated, smocked pink gingham apron with alot crossstitch/embroidery detail. Someone saw me working on it and asked if I would make her one too. She would pay me all of $10 for the privelege. I just said " You might not think it but alot of work goes into these and I make them for my self or as a special gift only. Sorry."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page