Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic
Page: of 25

dedicated-accumulator
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  1:19:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm also in Missouri and have been scanning the posts for some display ideas. I'd very much like to show them in my laundry room but it's a converted back porch to a Victorian home and it's pretty much ALL windows. I have pondered the 'apron curtains' idea but I'm afraid of sun damage. Do you starch your aprons for display?
MJ

quote:
Originally posted by showmemom

i have a little different take on the aprons. i have hung them up in my kitchen as art. i have one large wall and swagged a regular cotton clothesline along the top. with vintage clothespins, i hung aprons (some fancy and some of my grandma's-more worn but well-loved)along it. i used three aprons as a half-curtain above my kitchen sink.

i love the way they look. i have them for different seasons so i change them out regularly. i like to imagine what woman might have worn that apron and how her life was then and might be today.

talk to you soon. karen

living' large in MO

Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello, dedicated-accumulator!

Those are good questions for Karen - I haven't done anything with mine yet, but wasn't planning on using starch, because i'm not familiar with using it. My kitchen windows are shaded, so I'm not worried about the sun fading them. It could certainly be a problem, I would think. Could you hang something behind the aprons, to protect them from the direct sunlight?

quote:
Originally posted by dedicated-accumulator

I'm also in Missouri and have been scanning the posts for some display ideas. I'd very much like to show them in my laundry room but it's a converted back porch to a Victorian home and it's pretty much ALL windows. I have pondered the 'apron curtains' idea but I'm afraid of sun damage. Do you starch your aprons for display?
MJ

quote:
Originally posted by showmemom

i have a little different take on the aprons. i have hung them up in my kitchen as art. i have one large wall and swagged a regular cotton clothesline along the top. with vintage clothespins, i hung aprons (some fancy and some of my grandma's-more worn but well-loved)along it. i used three aprons as a half-curtain above my kitchen sink.

i love the way they look. i have them for different seasons so i change them out regularly. i like to imagine what woman might have worn that apron and how her life was then and might be today.

talk to you soon. karen

living' large in MO

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I would just make a little flat liner the size of the window width, the length of the aprons, of that fabric they sell at JoAnn's called "Rain No Stain" lining..it is sold as a lining for drapes.Just hang it on a tension rod inside the window..that will block the sun damage and give the outside of your window a plainer look too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  10:10:38 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea!!!
And I am so excited about the MJ stitching room book! Can hardly wait!! Thanks for keeping us informed CindyLou..and how neat the MJ is going to "apronize" the city gals when she goes to NYC..that is so fun!! I wear either aprons or overalls every single day..aprons more often for sure..unless I am doing yucky dirty work..and then I tend to put on the overalls...but han't been brave enough to wear them to town yet (the aprons..EVERYONE has seen me in my overalls) Hmmmm the aprons are alot nicer..I need to get on that! Anyone else wear them to town?? I do get comments from anyone that comes by my place that I wouldn't look like me without an apron on...

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  07:14:55 AM  Show Profile
I am too, I can't wait for it to come out. Meadowlark, I'm dying to see the apron you bid on! It sounds adorable!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, I won a vintage apron yesterday on Ebay! I love it; it is a full front apron that wraps around and has lots of pockets across the front, and is a dark green paisley. Problem is, I put a 10.00 limit on what I would bid. Well, only one other person bid me up from the 3.00 beginning so I had to end up paying the full 10.00!! Sometimes I wonder if the sellers have people do this on purpose to get the ending price higher. Arrghhh. Oh well, my fault for putting a higher maximum bid on it, right?

I have been seeing these vintage aprons that are from the 60's on the Ebay list, and there are really neat looking - a little of the hippie mixed in with a great, soft looking apron. May have to bid again! :)

What is going on with all of us? Fabric and aprons! But it is so fun!

jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile
I just got the pink/white collar apron today...oh it is so cute girls! I am taking pics of my apron finds and sending them to MJF like CindyLou suggested here. It will be fun to see everyone's aprons!!! I am sure they are as unique and diverse as all the farmgirls are! I still don't feel comfortable yet using my digital and posting the pics. MJF crew do a beautiful job scanning pics and posting them. JP, I have noticed that too about the price getting bid up to my maximum bid. I have wondered that same thing. Your apron sound really pretty! Send some pics of your aprons to MJF so we can see them!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:44:56 AM  Show Profile
I FINALLY won a vintage apron on eBay -- Yeah!! It's nothing fancy but will fit over my "stout" frame!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Kay!!

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:16:13 AM  Show Profile
I got a cute metal sign/wall hanging on clearance at Target yesterday. It says:
Life is messy.
Wear your apron!

Good advise! I'm taking it as my tagline :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE that!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to point out that, despite the fact that I'm not as into aprons as everyone else, (1) I love that everybody here is so passionate about them and (2) This thread is eighteen pages long. You ladies rock!

Cheers,
Kathy

http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Just got home from a quick run to the bank and they are working on our road so I took a detour to go around the mess. When what did I see but a yard sale that I had not seen this morning on my usual rounds of sales. On a back table of clothes there was a handmade pink and white gingham half apron. I could not pass it up at 50 cents. Can you believe it sat there all day and nobody took it home...guess it was meant for me! It is in perfect condition. It fit my robust frame, so I put it on after I paid for it. Off to my car I went carrying my vintage luggage I'd also bought. The ladies said, "Look she is even wearing it!" I wanted to make all my fellow farmgirl apron lovers proud of me!

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, You rock! Welcome to the apron society!!!! I love it that you wore it to your car!

Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  5:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, that wasn't a detour but the real direction you were supposed to go! Fate lead you to your apron!Congratulations on your find!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile
High Five, Pamela!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Pamela, a several posts later.... Yes,our chapter will be starting up in September. RIght now it is just me, my 13yr old daughter, a friend and her 11yr old daughter. We both homeschool and will be using our chapter group as part as our homeschooling. OUr first project will be an apron. It wll be fun to see what we all choose in style and fabric.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  8:29:40 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea to have the Farmgirl Chapter be part of your homeschooling. I can remember as a kid going to our church girls club and making projects. I think one of the things we learned was to make penny's from fabric scraps. It was something easy and we could work at our own pace. I think we were to sew them together to make a quilt, but I do not remember the quilt. Anyway, it was the beginning of a life of crafting. It is a very good thing to get your daughters going on projects at a young age. Aprons would be a great choice.
Be sure to take pictures of your progress for those scrapbooks.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  9:35:59 PM  Show Profile
WTG, Pamela!! A true Farmgirl wearing her apron to the car!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
A bust at the yard sales today. And I was on such a roll!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:00:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I am really excited to see the harvest aprons too..I noticed that on the calender right away..what a cute idea..I think we will do that for our first "chapter meeting"...even if it is just me.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

I'd love to make a harvest apron. It would be great to use when I'm picking my citrus trees. Which calender are you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:45:02 PM  Show Profile
I made another apron late last week...and ended up giving it to my neice while she was here visiting. Took a picture, though and plan to make more from the same pattern..I like it! you can see it at http://photobucket.com/albums/y45/AuntJenny it is the red one

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:54:36 PM  Show Profile
VERRRYYYY cute apron!!! Good job!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile
What a cute apron!! Where do you get your patterns? I wish I had an Aunt Jenny!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:36:09 PM  Show Profile
This one was a McCalls pattern still available and has a few other vintage/retro looking styles on it...cute huh? I am more than a little obsessed with apron making right now...fun stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page