Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden Next Topic
Page: of 4

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  9:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I would love to be involved, but I am just starting to garden and i have no seeds to trade. Would love some sunflower seeds :)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  10:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Gals, don't worry if you've nothing to trade. Just let me know what you would like, I'd be happy to send it along. No point in having seed sitting here that I have no use for.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  10:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Julia -

I will make a note, it won't happen until Fall because I have never saved the seeds before. However, let's see what comes up in the spring, because many times I get extra plants because I let it reseed itself. So I might just beable to dig up a volunteer for you. I will put a note on my list to see what it does. These balloon flowers are a deep periwinkle blue. They grow about 2' tall in a cluster. They look like little balloons/chinese lantern shape and then they open up into a pretty little flower. Multiple blooms on each stock. In the fall the birds love them for the seeds. Anyway, in some form or fashion I will get you a plant. Right now with the rain, nothing is happening - it is pouring.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I would LOVE some of your yellow welch poppies! I adore poppies and now is the time to plant them here! Let me know what you want in return!!! :)

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  9:43:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Anne, seeds or plants would be swell!
Junebug, send me your snail mail and I will get them off to you! Don't feel the need to return anything, but I am always up for a surprise!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  04:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia, your a true farmgirl, and I can do a surprise!!!! :) And Beth, I would love to swap for your giant pumpkins too, I told my granddaughter we would plant some this year just for her, so let me know what you want in return! We got up to 71 yesterday, and now the itch to plant is great!

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Geeze Diane I'll take you up on that offer. I'd love some feverfew, Especially cone flower and may be a little advise along with the cone flower I haven't been able to grow it and I know my Grandmom always grew them, they can't be that hard. May be some lupins too. I'll send ya something in return anyway, it just might not be seeds. Although I do have a lot of Love-in-mist seeds and cali poppies if anyone's interested.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Right now I have Zinna seeds from Burpee...2003. I can't vouch if the seeds are still viable since I don't grow Zinnias. If you will email me with your address I'll put them in the mail. If there's more than a couple of you who want them, I'll divide them up and mail them out. When they are gone I'll look around to see what other seeds I have and post them one at a time. I think this will keep the cost of post down, or at least not such a large expense at once.

I hope to hear from you!
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia, I'll take you up on the Zinnia sieeds as the deer decided to try the flowers, so I didn't get to havest any. Thanks, Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:31:07 PM  Show Profile
My husband owns a community newspaper and he has had a garden writer from time to time, well one of his last writers got hooked up with Ed Hume seed company. Ever since then my husband gets regular mailings of seeds. So right now I have to share the following new packets of seed from Ed Hume -

1 packet - Swiss Chard "bright lights"
1 packet - Flowering Cabbage & Flowering Kale mix
1 packet - Artichoke "green globe improved"
2 packet - Parsley "forest green"
1 packet - Florence Fennel "finocchio"
1 packet - Tomoato "napoli roma type"
1 packet - Onion "italian red torpedo"
1 packet - Ground Cherry "husk tomato"
1 packet - Rock Garden "low growing flower mixture"
1 packet - Clarkia "elegans double choice mixture" (from the picture looks like mini carnations, various colors)
1 packet - Nasturtium "dwarf jewel mix"
1 packet - Godetia "double azalea mix"
1 packet - Livingston Daisy "mixed colors"
1 packet - Strawflowers "mixed colors"
1 packet - Statice "mixed colors"
1 packet - Pumpkin "lumina"
1 packet - painted daisy "merry mixture"
1 packet - beet "chioggia"
2 packets - winter squash "delicata"

Okay, first come first serve. I hate to see these go to waste. It is just me and DH and we have enough veggie seeds to take care of us. Just e-mail me and I will mail you a packet. As I get more I will do more postings, we get them for free and the garden writer he has now doesn't use that many.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  04:44:43 AM  Show Profile
WOW Anne, every gardeners dream to get free seeds from a seed company, and I can't imagine your garden writer not using that many? I would love to try the onion, the name alone sounds yummy! What can I send you in return? And if your hubby ever needs another garden writer, I'd love to apply, the fringe benefits are great! I'm emailing your addy now. Thanks for the kind offer!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  06:22:19 AM  Show Profile
WOO HOO, Anne, your husband has hit the jackpot! So nice of you to offer these up.

I'd like the Tomatoe, "napoli roma type" I'll email my address to ya'

Thanks!!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  06:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi there -

Got some e-mails from some of you gals, so here are the seeds that have been claimed and the ones that are left.

1 packet - Swiss Chard "bright lights"
1 packet - Flowering Cabbage & Flowering Kale mix
1 packet - Artichoke "green globe improved"
1 packet - Parsley "forest green" - whispering pines
1 packet still available - Parsley "forest green"
1 packet - Florence Fennel "finocchio"
1 packet - Tomoato "napoli roma type" - Cajungal
1 packet - Onion "italian red torpedo" - Junebug
1 packet - Ground Cherry "husk tomato"
1 packet - Rock Garden "low growing flower mixture"
1 packet - Clarkia "elegans double choice mixture" (from the picture looks like mini carnations, various colors) - Julia
1 packet - Nasturtium "dwarf jewel mix" - medieval cat
1 packet - Godetia "double azalea mix"
1 packet - Livingston Daisy "mixed colors"
1 packet - Strawflowers "mixed colors"
1 packet - Statice "mixed colors"
1 packet - Pumpkin "lumina" - Whispering Pines
1 packet - painted daisy "merry mixture" - Julia
1 packet - beet "chioggia" - Aunt Jenny
2 packets - winter squash "delicata"

I will pack up and mail out within the next week.

Anne

Edited by - asnedecor on Jan 15 2006 4:01:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:13:51 AM  Show Profile
Your a true blue farmgirl, many thanks!!!

Go to Top of Page

goatgal
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Chasity
Catron MO
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Send goatgal a Yahoo! Message
THis sounds wonderful. I do not have a very good green thumb but nonetheless love to garden, even though some years half of my flowers dont bloom right or the animals eat all of my veggies...lol. I dont have alot to offer b/c as you can probably tell I cant ever salvage a whole lot myself but would be willing to share what I have. For those who would be willing to share with me, it would be greatly appreciated. I love unique and beautiful flowers.
Go to Top of Page

goatgal
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Chasity
Catron MO
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Send goatgal a Yahoo! Message
also, any gardening hints on how to make my process more rewarding would also be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  12:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Chasity have you ever ordered a Stokes Seed catalogue? They're free and you can order one online. It is a virtual bible on growing just about every kind of flower and vegetable known to man! I do order from Stokes, but I use their catalogue as a reference book too.
Those who emailed me wanting seeds...they are on their way. Hopefully they will make it through customs! Unfortunately I am now out of coneflower seed, but I do have some of the others left.

Diane - on waterlogged Vancouver Island
Go to Top of Page

goatgal
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Chasity
Catron MO
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  1:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Send goatgal a Yahoo! Message
No Diane but I will, sounds like just what I need. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  11:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Chasity, I have many seeds left over from last year that should still grow, I use up to 2 yr. old seeds with good results, I'd be happy to send you some to get you started? My best gardening hint, go organic!! Everything loves the natural process. Let me about the seeds.

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  2:51:45 PM  Show Profile
I have news from the post office! Sorry it took me awhile to get this to you...

The postman told me that if you buy a padded envelope cost $1.99.. you send the seeds through bulk. He said do not put seeds just in an envelope cause when they are fed through the machine they will be busted. He said with the envelope you can reuse it by putting a new mail label on it. The cost should be very low, lower than a stamp.

Also he looked up the code for Canada. There isn't any blocks on seeds, as long as they are legal, and the cost is under $20.00 if it's above that then Canada can charge taxes.

Julia... Zinnia seeds are yours. I just need an address to snail mail them to. Email it to me if you don't mind and I'll put them in the mail by Monday.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  5:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Okay seeds going into the mail tomorrow. Finally got some stamps, padded envelopes, etc. So enjoy. Still have seeds left, just look at the list. Should be getting more from Ed Hume. When I get another few, I will add to the list.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to join in, too. Like Rebekka, I'm starting out and don't have any seeds to swap, but I could offer other things. Let me think about what I have or could make.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  7:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Missy- Thanks for the hollyhocks! They will be so lovely in my garden. Also- for my first piece of mail art, what a fun treat. I think I will frame it!
Love,Rebekka

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Jan 13 2006 7:24:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  07:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Patti -

If you are interested in anything I posted earlier on this thread let me know and I will send. Don't need anything in return, just want to know that the seeds won't go to waste.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  5:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka- I'm so glad you enjoyed the card and I hope the seeds work out for you!!I still get just as excited with each piece of mail art as I did the first.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com

Edited by - lamarguerite farm on Jan 14 2006 5:03:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page