ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:12:48 PM  Show Profile
So I just got my seeds for Nicotianas in the mail today. My mom-in-law recommended them, since they smell so pretty in the evening They're also quite easy to grow apparently. Has anyone tried growing them? Any tips?

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:21:55 PM  Show Profile
These are really easy to grow and they smell awesome!! I always start them indoors!!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Fabulous, fabulous! I love nicotianas! I start early (according to package instructions) indoors. Just not too early, since you don't want them to get leggy. Be careful watering so you don't get damping off of the little teeny seedlings, and have good air circulation and good light.

It's certainly possible to begin them in the ground, too, and then they sometimes mature later in the year and be fresh in the garden when other things are 'bye'.

I grow Nicotiana sylvestris (the really tall, candleabra one), N.langsdorfii (green bells - how perfect!), one which is a mix of cranberry-pink colors, and N. 'Fragrant Cloud' (white). And my all-time fav is Nicotiana mutabilis, which is a miracle of a plant with white and pink bells on it, a great hummingbird attractor, and it reseeds to boot. In fact, most of my nikkis reseed.

Oh, and you can get the N. mutabilis mail-order from Select Seeds, which has fantastic old-fashioned annuals and plants.

Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh Katie-ell~~ I can feel your excitement in your posting.!
I saw something on nicotianas on hgtv the other day..I always forget what I wanted to plant by the next spring...I would like to have a "white" garden for night and I have always heard how nice the nicotianas smell~~Sounds like you have lots of experience..!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile
The seeds I ordered this year are purple - they're supposed to be a brand new hybrid this year. Can't wait!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile
The smell is wonderful..I havn't grown any since we moved here..will have to do that this year!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  9:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Watch for slugs....they ate mine last year!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I've never grown or smelled nicotianas, but, thanks to this thread, I started some yesterday! They are the N.langsdorfii, little green bells, and I am SO excited to plant them - thank you all for the inspiration!

Are these a type that will self-sow? If so, are they very prolific - like bachelor's buttons or flax, for instance?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  8:39:29 PM  Show Profile
I didn't have good luck the one time I tried nicotania (and I bought plants). I'll have to try them again. I have my cosmos seeds. I need to get my cleome seeds too before I forget. I love stuff that reseeds (as long as it's stuff I want there of course).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  06:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Anne E., I've grown the N. langsdorfii and just love it. They do self-sow a bit, but not invasively, like annual forget-me-not does (which I also love, and just pull out some so it doesn't completely overtake the perennials). If you do find that you get lots of seedlingsnext year, be sure to thin them out so you can get some strong, sturdy plants. I leave a few extras and then transplant those when they get a little bit of size on them.

I love the subtle little green bells, and use it in my yellow and purple garden (which has shades of chartreuse and lime greens in it). Enjoy your little bells!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile
I haven't started my seeds yet...how many weeks do they need indoors before I transplant them outside?

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Nicotianas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page