Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey there farmgirls-
I am just wondering if any of you share seeds- I would love to start my first garden with 'all' farmgirl flowers. I would be happy to pay postage or make a trade for a walnut pincushion or some other 'little' I can make. I do not know where to start as I only have a little organic container garden (and many of those were plants- not seeds). We are buying our first house-small farm this spring and I want to start dreaming!
I already have some of Frannie's Sunflowers from Kentucky---- can't wait for your advice as to when to sprout them indoors, etc. (Also- what are good plants to have around little ones- my girl will eat almost anything in the ground so I want to be sure I am not planting anything poisonous)
Be Well, Rebekka

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka- I think it would be great to do a seed swap. Right now all I have are a few hollyhock seeds in pink, white, and fuscia. Let me know.

Missy

If there is anyone in the the Vancouver/Portland area that would like to trade some plants, I have extra lemon balm, oregano, fennel and a few shoots from my lilac bush. I am looking for herbs and cottage garden type plants.

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka -- I don't have seeds (only hollyhocks from my dear friend Sher) but I can send you some starts from plants and herbs. I have pin cushion flower that needs to be divided as well as a couple of hostas. And I have a cute little everbearing strawberry plant. Plus some hens and chicks. Also comfrey. Since they are plants I wouldn't send them until about April when the weather warms up. As for starting seeds, each plant is different depending on how long it takes for the plant to mature. It usually goes by your last frost date and count backwards from that. You could probably look it up on the internet. I'll see if I can find some links for you.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jan 03 2006 4:57:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:59:37 PM  Show Profile
I will gladly send you fruit and vegetable seeds and some plant starters. I'll make sure they are for your climate. It would be an honor to know I'm spreading the love up to Washington.

Keep that dreaming up.....Your garden(s) will be beautiful.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  5:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka and any other Farmgirl -

I get shoots from my raspberries all the time, I could probably send some out mid spring. I also have starts from an old Lilac (lavendar in color). Seeds I have never saved, I always let things reseed in my garden, but this year if interested I could save seeds from a balloon flowers, foxglove and a hibiscus (sp?). Also I have a pink fairy rose that my neighbor took a start off this early fall and was able to get to root. This grows like a weed and needs a trellis, but later I can send starts to whoever might be interested. If my Asian lilies are too thick this year, I will have to split those as well. Right now hard to tell with everything in dormant, but willing to share as the right time of season comes to split, clip and save.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  5:12:43 PM  Show Profile
I can send some dark pink hollyhock and some pale grey hubbard squash seeds...how fun!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh my- This garden is going to be the VERY best farmgirl garden ever!!!
I am happy to plant them all- just let me know when the time comes for sending and I will send you some postage! With all these flowers (oh, the hollyhocks and lilacs and ....) I am sure that my garden will be wonderful. And of course once I get settled in I will share all my farmgirl seeds. I have some wonderful thornless (or very near thornless) raspberries from my Gramma at my Mama's house that are PROLIFIC and tasty and I can share shoots as well. I just love reading about everyone's garden and I love the thought of having a little bit of you all with me as I start out with mine. Thank You, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  03:35:58 AM  Show Profile
I hope this seed swap continues because I won't have any seeds till the end of summer to share, as we are also moving to our new farm in spring. I think sharing will be as much fun as getting the seeds!

Rebekka, I also want to start sunflowers inside this year and would also love advice. I want to grow some up the side of my barn. (My goal is to have my barn look as cute as Frannie's.) I for sure want to grow that new sunflower, "Baby Bear" for her because she loves bears. (she is 13 months.) I don't want to go off topic too much, but I think I'm going to plant her a sunflower path-forrest in a couple of years leading to a secret garden for her.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Laura- I hope so too! Since I will have a garden from my farmgirl friends long before I can share seeds- I will definetly be sending many seeds around in a few years. It will be so nice to have 'second' generation farmgirl flowers growing all over the place!!! I don;t know too much about sunflowers- I think they grow easily and I too will need to make a sunflower forest for my girl (that is such a magical idea), I am also planning on making a living willow fence and tunnel- they are incredible. I have friends who have a totally edible garden (every single thing!!!), their little girl just goes out and feeds herself an afternoon snack and plays for hours and she is just turning two! You should email Frannie about her sunflowers- to find out what her tricks are- she is CabinCreekKentucky. Love,Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Rebekka, I think I will start a thread on children's gardens.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile
I will take stock of what seeds I have, and then post to trade.
I would love to have a start of the thornless rasberry, and some growing tips.
I have never grown any berry bushes. I just seen a couple a nights ago in a seed catalog, a blueberry bush that you can grow in a container. I would like to get that, maybe.
I was also thinking along this same line that I would like to share some seeds or maybe work with a few gals on sharing seeds, I seen some things I wanted in the seeds of change catalog but I have a small lot, so I only use a small portion of a packet. So I would be very glad if someone might want to share their seed shopping list with me and we could share the seeds. Not sure of the details but we could work that out!!

Edited by - Bridge on Jan 05 2006 08:08:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Bridge thats a really good idea. I too have a small plot and well not much money either for spend on seeds. I try to be as thrifty as possible. This is a great idea. I'm game.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Seeds are a passion of mine and I have tons I would love to swap. One particular favorite is a marigold that I have saved every year. It started with a Brownie project of my daughter's who had to grow this plant to earn a badge. She was seven at the time and she is now twenty-four! Thus, we have come to call it "Karlie's Marigold".
But here lies the unknown...can we swap seeds with fellow Canadian farmgirls??
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Of Course we can swap with our Canadian sisters.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  10:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Will customs allow it to pass between Canada/US ?
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Bridgette- I will let you know when the raspberry is ready to head your way- I will have to ask my Mama when you divide them, I think it is late summer but I could be wrong. Email me so I have your info.

Diane- Karlie's Marigold sounds great (when I was little my Mama planted hundreds of marigolds- my best memory!) I have no idea about customs.....let me know when you find out

Laura- The childrens garden thread will be great- I want pictures!!!
Hugs, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile
I think they are allowed, but maneuvering through the customs website is a yawner lol. So if you want to send me your address Rebekka, I will put some in an envelop and send it your way and we'll see what happens.
I will post what seed I have to offer when I haul out the bin. Hopefully later on today.
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  11:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I have been collecting seeds for a garden of my own. I find that I buy radish seeds and end up with a thousand and only need a hundred! I'll be glad to share what I have with anyone. Postage is due to go up in the States this month. I'll talk the postman today to see if there is a way we can ship seeds for low cost and post back.
Mostly I have vegi seeds and some herbs like catnip. With our drought I don't know if I'll be able to plant anything. Pray for rain for us in the South Central states!

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  11:57:20 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about starting a seed round robin, so count me in! I love to swap seeds and have many. Now is a good time to start this too, I can't wait!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I have some giant pumpkin seeds, my father in law is always trying to get the biggest pumpkin in the area. I'll see what he has available. Would love some sunflower seeds. Anyone know of a good seed catalog company?

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile
You may want to ask at your local PO about sending seeds and plants to Canada. It may differ from state to state. I live in California and many things in catalogs cannot be sent here.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  08:41:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't have much but I'll certainly share what I've got.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile
I love Burpees and Seed of Change. You can get catalogs from their websites.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  09:51:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello.

What a great idea! This sounds like fun. Can anybody join in?

I am starting my first Vegetable/flower garden (ever) in the spring. I would love to be involved with the round robin.

Also, I have bought seeds that are like a postcard... you can write a message on the back.

I am still a little new here and need all the gardening advice I can get.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  1:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure I can disguise a few seeds in an envelop, so here's what I have to offer. I will send the seeds on a first email (with address), first served basis until I run out.

Red Orach Spinach - plant it once, you got it for a lifetime, but it's easy to control.
Coreopsis - Perennial in some zones, nice sunny yellow flowers that cut well.
Marigolds - orange & yellow taget - short, make nice borders.
Cosmos - tall, mauve & magenta annual and also white.
Coneflower - echinacea - tall purple perennial.
Poppies - red/pink iceland
Poppies - large pink Shirley and also red with black center variety.
Feverfew - single white blooms on lime green, neat plant. Perennial in some zones. Cuts well.
Teasel - grows those prickly cone things for dried arrangements.
Calendula - mix of tall orange and yellow.
Lupins - pink, perennial in most zones.
Karlie's Marigolds - grows about 12" high and blooms profusely. French variety.

I will probably have more, including some herbs once my seed orders come in (who plants 100 sage plants?!!). Let me know what you'd like and I'll send it on it's way.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  9:32:21 PM  Show Profile
I have seeds to swap as well. Yellow Welsh Poppies, Red Shirley Poppies, Hollyhocks, not sure what else. I think seeing farmgirls flowers smiling at me in my garden would be wonderful.
Anne- Could I get a few Ballon flower seed? Never have grown them before. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farmgirl Seed Sharing? First Garden Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page