Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Women's cycle & Moon phases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic
Page: of 4

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  3:58:41 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, very well said.... I too thought I was dying... the pain was so intense...and those first few months continued to be, mom even took me to the doctor and he suggested birth control pills....jeepers. Well, you know that was not an option!!! Mom is very closed mouth about these things and is not comfortable discussing these subjects at all.... but she did give me something to relieve the pain... hot toddys (made with a scant amount of whiskey, sugar and water). It did help and I did not become addicted.

My daughter and I can talk about anything... and continue to be that way. Cultivate a relationship like you wished you had was my thinking... We did do something special for her first moon, but I cannot remember specifically..(age???) I will have to ask her!!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Elizabeth, Clare and All,
I did have a rather traumatic experience as you said Jenny. I started at school when I was in the 6th grade before they taught health which began in 7th grade where the subject was taught about male and female body differences. You would have thought that with an older sister and a mother at home that I might have had a clue about this but it was never discussed at all, even with my sister so when I began I thought I was bleeding to death from falling off my bicycle on the way to school. The school nurse sent me home where I called my mother at work and she said well your young to have the curse already, and gave me some very short instructions on where to find sanitary napkins, ( I did not even know what these were) and how to put one on. No other discussion was held and I was left to figure everything out for myself and discouraged from any discussion.I am so glad I was able to talk to my daughter and that we have such a precious relationship. We too can talk about anything. I am looking forward to the things my daughter and her husband will do for their children as far as a coming of age celebration even for the boys! I only have one grandson at this time but think somewhere there are more grandchildren in my future. My middle son has a wonderful girlfriend that already talks to me like we are sisters and best friends. So sweet!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile
On the subject of the book review, I have been reading " The Red Tent" this past few days when I have had a moment to myself. I have just read the part where Dinah has been with the kings son and the king has offered the bride price for her. So far I have really enjoyed the read. The way the author shows the different cultural treatment of women is very interresting. Makes me wish I had been a part of the Red Tent, but also shows the shortsightedness of the men as well as the possibility that no matter how well prepared we might think we are something can change in an instant what our perceptions are and how we will be received.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

simplegirl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Teresa
OR
USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  06:53:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! I thought I would bump this topic up and ask if anything came of the book discussions? I have The Red Tent and Her Blood is Gold and love them both! If anyone is interested in starting something like this back up I would definitely be interested. My daughter is 12 and I am planning a Menarche Ritual as we speak. I am making her a hemp nacklace with a bunch of cowrie shells on it. She is excited as am I.

I have never been shy about talking to my girls (my other daughter is 7) about their moontime and I have always let them come into the bathroom if they wanted to, even if I was changing my pads.

My older daughter saw the 'Growing Up' video last year, claimed it to be stupid, and they switched and let the girls watch the boys video and vice versa this year. She said that one was stupid too. We have already talked about everything, there wasn't much left!

So, if anyone is interested, let me know!

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. ~Doris Mortman
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  08:16:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Teresa, Glad you and your daughter are honoring! It is SO important for young girls to have their women kin honor their first moontime! As you can read in some of the earlier posts some of us of the babyboom generation did not have an easy transition into womanhood. Alot of us have changed this and are honoring our young women and their power. Your hemp and shell necklace sounds wonderful! I have a 12yr old daughter also so this is an important subject for me to reflect on in preparing her "way". Have you heard of the symbolic colors of passages in women? White is the maiden time, red the fertile childbearing time, and black the time of the crone and wisdom and the end of menarche. I am weaving a bracelet in silk cord with these three colors and adding some stones for my daughters first moon. There are a lot of great and meaningful ideas here on honoring... Wasn't The Red Tent an awesome read? I am glad you revived this topic! What else will you and your daughter be doing to celebrate?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile
I havn't said much on this topic yet since I know it is something I need to work on! I didn't have any help from my mom when I was that age (I was actually 15 when I started!) and don't want that to happen with my girls. I have always been a mom of boys until these little dynamos came into our family nearly two years ago...well, the oldest daughter is now 10..will be 11 in Sept and I need to be thinking of this sort of thing. They did have the growing up video and that at school and I went to be with her. She is a talker, and was very shocked that she didn't ask questions there in front of everyone..but waited until we were alone later..we had a really good frank disscussion and I think it at least opened up the subject. I do want to honor her though, I think that would be so special for her. I learn so much from you gals!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

simplegirl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Teresa
OR
USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  09:12:30 AM  Show Profile
I know that we will be having a ritual for her, me and my 'kooky' women friends. :-) I have started a cowrie shell necklace made from hemp for her. I like the idea of a box for her stuff, maybe a special journal, a candle for her to light during her moontime. I think I have much higher aspirations than what we will actually do as I am not at all prepared and she is 12 already! It will be soon I know....*sigh* The best laid plans. I will keep working on it though.

Weren't there people interested in reading and discussing some of the books mentioned? Her Blood is Gold, The Red Tent? Any takers? I just found some discussion questions for the Red Tent on a library website. http://www.manitowoc.lib.wi.us/readers/guides/redtent.htm

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. ~Doris Mortman

Edited by - simplegirl on May 30 2005 09:15:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful topic and I enjoyed reading everybody's responses.

Just this last year have I begun to see this time as a blessing and not as a curse and my dream, when we get moved, is to have my own Red Tent (a most awesome book) on the back of our property. I want it to be a place of love, peace and joy where I (and my daughter and MIL) can go to spend time taking care ourselves, without the pressure of daily life, during this special time.

Has anybody else read or heard about sleeping in the moonlight during your cycle? I don't remember the reason why but I know that when I do, I sleep better and don't have as many cramps.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile
I tell you I just started my cycle on Tuesday, approx 5 a.m. and I have never had such horrible cramps, I actually called in sick! I'm thinking it may be due to no full moon. 9 times out of 10 it seems, it's during a full moon.

I read her blood is gold about 12 years ago. My ex husband thought I was nuts.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  9:24:51 PM  Show Profile
Kim, men just don't get IT. The warriors in Native American cultures were fearful of the squaws because they would bleed profusely once a month and not perish...We have POWER!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  5:17:08 PM  Show Profile
They don't get it do they? I keep telling Norm, "When your gone, there will be no more!" I'd rather live in a sustainable community surrounded by womenfolk!! Someone told a "joke" why are women the devil's spawn? who else can bleed for 7 days and not die. Ha! I agree with you meadowlark.....power and strength. That's why men don't give birth!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Erin, I have read that a woman is more likely to get pregnant during a full moon if her cycle is in the fertile phase. But have not heard of sleeping in moonlight to relieve cramps. I should try this as my periods have become more painful as I enter menopause. I was wondering if some of the older farmgirls experience pain in the breasts before moon time. I really experience a lot of pain... sometimes it feels like a knife. Then the pain subsides after a few days when I start. I try to control caffeine, carb intake at this sensitive time. I am concerned.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  6:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, I can relay a couple experiences that may help you help yourselves in this regard. I use a natural progesterone cream twice daily during the last two weeks of my cycle. This curbs the estrogen affects, which is what causes painful breasts, more bloating etc. Just rub a small dab on tender skin areas (I do it on my breasts, tummy and sometimes inner arms.) Works wonders for me in this regard. Estrogen in this phase of our lives tends to go overboard and this can throw us all out of kilter.
Regarding heavy bleeding. This one is more esoteric, but I have definately found a pattern for myself. If I am dealing with alot of emotional issues before my period, then I have one day of heavy bleeding with cramps... well they are more like contractions.... So I really try to keep myself on an even keel all the time, because it pays off during my moon time. It's like my body is trying to expel all that emotion via my bleeding. I'd personally rather let go of stuff much before that time.... Food for thought.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 03 2005 7:00:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  11:30:54 PM  Show Profile
I've heard of the natural progesterone creams, they are made from yams. I've also heard that soy is good for women in their moon time. Then there is the placement of the bed, feng shui suggests that each compass direction will bring different results as far as the affect on the body

Sleeping with your head to the North Strengthens physical health, South Deepens sleep, elicits intuitive capabilities and enhances your capacity to remember dreams, East Helps you wake up quickly and have more energy, West Slows life down -- good for stressed adults or hyperactive kids
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,

yep, I have the breast pain too, extreme tenderness and that swollen feeling, like I'm 2 sizes bigger. This started around the time I got off the pill and got an IUD, around this same time is when I started cramping too.

The Dr said that it was just "me", that always before I'd been regulated by the pill and now the pill was gone so the hormones could run "willie-nillie" (not kidding, his exact words and part of the reason I now have a female OBGYN)and that there really wasn't anything that I could do about it.

New OB says the same thing, much nicer though, but she did suggest the same things, no stress (haha) lower carb and caffine intake, get some exercise, drink lots of water and use hot/cold packs as I needed them along with Tylenol or whatever I took for pain.

I would definatly have it checked out though because it might be something else and it's better to know that it's "nothing" than for it to be and not have care.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  11:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth and Clare -

I'm curious - were you able to visit Sacred Groves on Bainbridge Island last year? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience, and if not, please let me know if you're planning to visit this year, as I live nearby and will also be attending some of her programs such as the Women's Moon Lodge. Sounds great!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  11:25:50 AM  Show Profile
I've thought about it Jana, but haven't gotten much further than that. I would love to do it, it's logistics and the cost of gas!!! (Isn't that a pain?)

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Clare, it's completely understandable - gas is so expensive these days. I find myself standing at the pump saying to myself, "(at $20)isn't it full yet...? (at $25) It's gotta be full by now...!"

Well, if you find yourself with a full tank of gas and want to head over for one of the Sacred Groves programs, let us know. I'll try it out in the meantime - they have a summer solstice celebration later this month that I might try to go to. I'll let you know how the experience was and perhaps we can get a group of farmgirls together to come on over for a short trip at some point in the future!

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile
The Red Tent is a wonderful book. It changed my life and it made me become a Doula (a women who assists a Mother with birthing her child). I'm happy that we are being open about this fact of life. too many people hide from it and that bugs me. Since I begun watching my cycle ( few years ago)it has become regular, I have become in turn to my body and I can feel when my moon is about to begin and even when I'm ovulating. I believe in rest durnig your Moon and I'm happy to say my husband respects that. Nutritionaly when you are bleeding you are losing a lot od nutrients and phycially our bodies are prearing practicing for labor. So it is a time to relax and sooth your body in whatever ways you can.
I have to recommend Luna Pads to you gals. I personaly try not to use anything disposible and this companies makes and sells organic cotton flannel reusable pads, especially for this time of the month. Blessed Be Sisters!
http://www.lunapads.com/home.php

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  2:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Melissa
I eally enjoyed your website!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  08:42:33 AM  Show Profile
Some months I have much worse cramps than other months and I think it has a lot to do with stress. Sometimes it's so bad I can't sleep at night. So I discovered a good recipe for relieving the pain. I make a tea. Well lets start here I make this mix of herbs that I keep in the house at all times. I call it Moon Tea because all of the herbs it contains are healing for women but we use it for all kinds of things. For one thing it tastes delicious. It good for tummy aches and nausa, it hides the taste of more medicinal tasting herbs and it's just a feel good tea. So I have this tea pot that make exactly two cups and has a basket in it to put the tea in to steep, so I fill that with the Moon tea. Than seperately I fill a little sauce pan with two mugs of water and a few handfuls of Cramp Bark and a few handfuls of White Willow and simmer on low with the lid on for about 20 mins. Then pour that water over the moon tea, let it steep, add some honey. And I'm telling ya, it works. Cramp bark is a muscle relaxer and white willow is for the pain ( it is where we first dirived asprin from). I definitely recomend this.
This is not an exact recipe and I make a lot at a time so this is just a guide line.
Moon Tea
2 cups Nettles
2 cups Red Raspberry
1 cup Red Clover
1 cup Oat Straw
For the cramps
Cramp Bark
White Willow - or for pain in general, but remember this where asprin came from so if you cannot take asprin for any reason than be careful with this herb.
Hope this helps.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  04:27:27 AM  Show Profile
I do look forward to my periods. It's sort of a break in the tension or a new start. The first few days I like to wear loose comfy clothes and just sort of take it easy on myself. I really notice that the first half of the month I am outgoing and social and the second half of my cycle I am content to stay home and work on my little projects.

I have 4 breastfed children, and after each one of them had a 14-22 month break from cycles. What a wonderful rest nature gives us.

Now I am 39 and my cycles haven't quite gotten regular again since last baby. One month it will be 28 days, and the next month, 38. This can be a little nervewracking since we are not using any birth control except fertility awareness.

Polly, on day 38 now, and tappin my toe!

Polly

http://mossbackmeadow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  7:13:10 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to navigate menopause naturally. I have noticed that during my moon times night sweating and breaking out in a sweat during the day is more frequent... has anyone experienced this? My symptoms have been mild so far...I am only 49, and my moons are very regular. Is this just body reaction to hormone shift bringing on the moon? I take vitamin E, B complex and black cohosh and small amount of soy product.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  06:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I cannot imagine looking forward to my period. It has always been excruiciatingly painful, always around noon on the first day I get a migraine, severe backache that runs down my legs and ankles, nausea (sometimes I yack), plus the cramps, chills, etc. The pain of my periods has left me howling and crying for three hours, when it finally begins to give way and I just fall asleep out of exhaustion. After that it isn't so bad, but I feel completely wrung out for two days.

I'm no pansy when it comes to pain, I've been a martial artist all my life and have continued sparring/working out with many a broken bone, torn ligament or what-have-you. My mother has even suggested I might not feel pain as well as I should!

My gyno says there is nothing wrong with me, some women just have it bad and we decided the best thing for me, since I don't want children now anyway, is just to stay on the pill and skip periods altogether.

I'm also a strong supporter of female OBGYNs. It may be just a matter of opinion, but I don't see how a man could ever have a CLUE what women go through having never felt it himself, any more than a woman can understand what an enlarged prostrate might be like.

Edited by - greyghost on Aug 10 2005 06:12:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jaime
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Indiana
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Lynn,
I know just what you mean! Before I went on the pill my periods were just like you described. I remember falling asleep on the bathroom floor many a night after throwing up. It would make me totally useless the first couple days of my period. My doctor finally switched my b.c. and it did get MUCH better. I still get cramps, but no where near what they were like before. I actually just went off the pill in June because my hubby and I are going to TTC late this year or early next. I noticed my cramps are a little more painful than I had been used to, but still bearable. Have you tried a different pill? My doctor put me on Ortho Novum 7/7/7 and it worked wonders. Maybe some of the other ladies around here know of some natural remedies you could try???

Jaime
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page