Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Women's cycle & Moon phases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic
Page: of 4

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2004 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim,
as you mentioned in the other category, I will share just a bit of info that I have on the subject of menstruation. I do not profess to be a scholar of this subject, but have studied it in my own efforts to obtain knowledge and understanding.
There are two books that I would recommend for this subject. The first is by Dr. Christaine Northrup, called Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. This covers the full spectrum of our lives with lots of suggestions and information from a woman ob/gyn.
The second is called Sister Moon Lodge: The Power & Mystery of Menstruation by Kisma K. Stepanich. It is out of print, but there are listings for it used on Amazon (that's where I picked up mine). She goes into detail about the moon and women's cycles. There's a bit of magick there too, and while I'm not a Wiccan, I feel there is knowledge there to be shared.
It was my understanding that to have your menses during the last phase/dark of the moon was ideal. I'm not certain where I originally read this, but will look further and see if I can pinpoint it.
I have found that personally, my menses are less painful when I have as little emotional stress during my cycle as possible. This means simplifying your life and your relationships. It's not an easy fix, but a worthwhile pursuit. It's about listening to what your body is intuitively telling you that it needs-- like resting when you're tired, quiet time when you need to think, etc. The other thing is to honor the priviledge of being a woman and having this capability to create life. If we aren't cursing our cycles, but flowing with them, using our creativity and listening to our inner voices, we are more likely to begin to be in balance. And that's what life is all about, being in balance. (IMO). Hope this helps!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Sep 15 2004 7:22:32 PM

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  09:41:50 AM  Show Profile
I am glad to see there is someone else out there that has learned to appreciate their cycle as a good thing and something that makes up women special. No one else can create life inside of them but us and I find that to be a special priviledge. I have nine children and felt like each one of them was a gift. There was nothing I liked more than to feel that life moving around in me. When I was not pg I always enjoyed knowing that my cycle was also a gift and if you view it that away then it definitely is easier to deal with. Life is good ! We were created for a purpose and we need to learn to flow with that purpose...it sets us a part.
Hugs, Rhonda P in CO
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
This is going to be a great topic! Rhonda, I did not learn to appreciate my cycles until I was into my late 30s. I am now 53 and looking forward to that phase of womanhood that the Native Americans and other peoples honor as cronehood or white hair or wise one. I have had two extended breaks from my regular cycles in the past 2 years. One was restarted when my thyroid was found to be underactive and now I am told by my female doctor that I have indead started into that phase of life.
Clare, Don't you just love Dr. Northrup?
In my studies I have found reading about and participating in Moon lodges to be a wonderful eye opening experience. I remember learning as a child in some history class that the native tribal people shunned their women when they were bleeding and banished them to a separate lodge where they could have no contact with the rest of the tribe during this time. I have since learned that this was a gathering place for the women to honor their cycles and a power place for all the tribal women. A place set apart for the women ( women who live close to one another usually end up on a very close cycle) to gather, be together and do special work regarding the spiritual and physical health of the entire tribe.
Clare, what you have said about simplifying and removing stress as much as possible is exactly right. This was another purpose of the moon lodge. The women were not responsible during that time to cook, clean or to do what ever jobs they usually attended. It was a time of quiet prayer, hand crafting and ceremony, a time set apart to honor themselves and to give back to the earth the life blood from their womb. I do not know about the dark of the moon cycle being either better or less painful but in my studies I have been taught that to be on your moon cycle during the full moon had to do with your power connection to the creator. My cycles have always varied between 26 and 32 days so some times I would be on the full moon and later in the year I would be in the dark of the moon. The thing I have always noticed about these variations of cycle was that when I was in a cycle that came during the full moon I had vivid dream patterns and when they came during the dark of the moon I had no dreams that I could remember. Anyone else experience this?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  11:17:31 AM  Show Profile
Eileen!!! We are on the same page here! The book the "Red Tent" is the same premise. The Jewish women went to the red tent during their monthly bleeding time. I'm sure there were alot of cultural reasons for it. Personally I have found that I'd just rather be by myself during this time, rather than in groups just because I need quiet.. If I had the option of a Moon Lodge or Red Tent situation with women, I think I would like that option too.. But here I sit at work today, surrounded by office noises.... we do the best we can.
Also, in the time between my bleeding is when I notice that if I have less stress then, then it is reflected during my bleeding time when there is not as much pain. My association with this is that I'm almost "birthing out" the accumulated pain, in effect cleansing my body of it... not holding on to it. It's the junk that we hold on to that hangs around and causes all the problems physically and emotionally.
I think what I read was that if you bleed during the dark of the moon, then by the time of the full moon you should be ovulating, which coincides with the male species being especially inclined to want to mate then. So.... not being in the re-creating category now, that is not critical for me... but it still seems to be a natural way of being.. I did look briefly at the Moon Lodge book again last night, and it did say cyles will fluctuate still, even if you are aligned... I think I'll reread that book again. A refresher is always good.
I'm sure that within the next few years I'll be in the Crone category.... but in the meantime I think I need a Moon Lodge experience or two or twenty!!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile
This is a very interesting subject! I read a book called Women Who Run With the Wolves; Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarrisa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D that addresses some of the issues here. She had many tales form ancient cultures about the stages in womens lives one being the time of childbearing and early cronehood and the power and mystery of menses. Eileen she also addresses the common archetypal motifs in women's dreams that be of interest to you. I too have experienced these dream phases in my cycle. I am 48 and have noticed the past few years great blood loss with no ill effects to my health in my cycles. I think it has to do with age, but also turns of events in my personal life like my oldest daughter leaving home. Did anyone experience a shift in their cycle because of July's blue moon? Two full moons in one month really wreaks havoc on my cycles. I had two bleedings in one month! I usually bleed on the full moon.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I usually bleed during a full moon as well but I started today, and tonight when I looked out back I noticed a sliver of a moon. I have hardly any cramps.

I read a book several years ago called "Her blood is Gold". I read a book review in NOW magazine and ordered the book. It is a very special time in a womans life when she bleeds. This book explored women who actually give their blood back to the earth by sitting in an isolated private place to bleed into the eart (a little graphic, sorry if anyone takes offense, but I feel probably none of you will). I need to did it out and reread it.

Clare, I am going to go online tonight and search for Sister Moon Lodge.

One of my best friends' mother took her and her sister out to dinner to celebrate their 1st period. I think girls need something like that, as it is not a "curse", it a celebration of womanhood.

Good things to think about as I sit her and drink my Womens Moon Cycle Tea!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  10:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
Clare I have not read the red tent but will now!
Jenny I too have read "Women who run with wolves" and others by this author. I can relate.
If any of you are interrested in reading about native peoples and their oral traditions I have read over and over again my copy of "The Walking People" by Paula Underwood. It is a poetic narative all in prose relating one cultures oral history. Paula was the last oral keeper of the song and was allowed to write it down. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!
One thing that comes back to me over and over is the teaching that, what the one cannot accomplish along the many can accomplish together.
You can get it from;
A Tribe of Two Press
P.O.Box 133
Bayfield, Colorado,81122
There is a new one out that I am going to get called ;
The wisdom of Paula Underwood ( Turtle Woman Singing) It is a video.
There is much in her works that speak to the wisdom of honoring our bodies and our families. She has wonderful childrens teaching stories too!
Kim, I have not read "Her Blood is Gold" but will get that one also. I have participated in moon lodges and have had the experience of sitting on moss to give my blood back to the earth. This is an awesome experience. Not gross at all!
Jenny,
As I had not had a bleeding in 6 months I was surprised to begin bleeding on the blue moon as well. I also experienced a series of very important dreams at the same time. This seems to be the time when my daughter and I have a very close spiritual link and experience the same dreams.
Have any of you ever heard "Brook Medicine Eagle" speak or listened to any of her teaching tapes on womans moon time and moon lodges?
We woman are a powerful force for good in the earth when we put our heads and hearts together!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  10:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Eileen for the address! I too have read of Brooke Medicine Eagle and her works with women! I bought a copy of the book Coming into our Fullness, On Women Turning Forty by Cathleen Rountree on my 40th birthday and she has a profile and narrative by Brooke Medicine Eagle. One of my goals this decade of life was to visit her lodge. Thank you for refreshing my memory of this remarkable teacher! I will explore her works now in that I seem to be in a transforming time in my life as I tell I am entering the "moon-pause". I feel consciously I am fearing this next step and my body is reacting by bleeding abundantly and erratically. I know I need to just go with it and not fight my body shift to cronehood. I just have to ask my enlightened sisters if they have ever observed a change in their complexion appearance during and right after moon time. My skin gets more luminious and clear. Am I crazy or is this a mystery of menses? I have noticed this ever since my 20's at the peak of fertility. This is such a great topic!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile
I too have read Brooke Medicine Eagle... she seems to be a good teacher... however, people in Native circles dis her work because they claim she is not Native, as she professes to be. So much controversy... I think if it speaks to us and helps us through, that then is valid, in my opinion. Same for Jamie Sams. I really enjoy her work too. Same claims from people... who is the final authority?
Drumming... I've always been drawn to it, but haven't experienced a drum circle. I love the sound of deep rhythmnic drumming. Something so centering about it.
Thanks for the book recommendations... I'll have to check those out too!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2004 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Skin changes occur for me as well. Right before I get a little more oily and then during the first day I seem a little bumpy but not pimply then after that it all is fresh and new looking. I think it has to do with the flushing of the toxins as we cleanse.
As far as the controversy over the authors I just choose not to listen as I take in what I feel is the right stuff for me and eliminate what I feel does not work for me. When you really get right down to it we are all related! I have found writings about things like moon lodges in almost every race of ancient peoples. Much of the ancient wisdom passed down from mother to daughter was lost beginning around the early 13th century and following right through to the 17th century during that horrible time known to us as the years of the witch trials. Begun as a result of the pandemic known as the black death the witch trials literally destroyed whole villages of women who were doing nothing more than practicing the healing arts to help their families and villages. Many of the worlds villages during that time were without women at all not as a result of the plague but as a result of having been burned, decapitated or tortured to death by the religious officials who wanted the focus for the disaster removed from them! It is a wonder that we survived as a race of people. I do not know but can only surmise that the only way for women to escape this fate was to develope a way to be together to share their secret knowledge to their female offspring. It seems to me that the bleeding time would be a natural time to be together and be able to escape the eyes and ears of the men. Perhaps in europe where the time in womans moon cycles came to be known as the "curse" was actually developed by women as a way to preserve this knowledge that was rapidly being killed. Who knows maybe women were "honoring" themselves by referring to this time as being cursed, and creating a diversion from the constant surveilance by the men.
If you have interrest in this subject there is a book I have been reading lately ,
"The sweet breathing of plants" a compilation of writings by women about our green world. Edited by Linda Hogan and Brenda Peterson.
An article in this books speaks directly to the subject. It is titled "The Fate of the Wise Woman" writen by Jeanne Achterberg
It was taken from a book :"Woman as Healer" copyright1990 by Jeanne Achterberg printed by Shambhala Publications, Inc.
Any way all of that to say, If the teachings are good and valid then why the controversy except to attempt to shut up a good teacher. A more acceptable form of witch burning?
Women are wise! Women are spiritual! Women are creative! When women get together we can move mountains! Right now in history we are becoming a force to be reconed with! The Earth wants to be healed and right now I see more women working toward that goal that ever and some of us are fortunate enough to have a Good Man who is right there backing us up, who would die to protect us in that effort no matter how small our individual efforts are.
I appreciate and validate each one of you!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2004 :  5:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen! I read with great interest your musings on the loss of oral traditions between the 13th and 17th centuries between women. I totally agree with this! Women were persecuted just for growing medicinal herbs in their gardens for healing, even the old midwives were fair game for the "witch hunters". I have pondered the reason for this black time for women in Europe and I think it all came down to fear of women's sexuality and the power they had in the healing and intuition they had naturally as a birth right. Mothers did not want their daughters to engage in these arts for protective and survival of their species as you put. One remarkable woman who rose up as great teacher and beacon for women was St. Hildegard of Bingen. She was a German prioress of a convent in the 12th century. I read some of her teachings and this women was a feminist, visionary, herbalist, musician, artist, gardener, healer, diplomat to the royalty and on and on. She even had a hospice to care for the sick and a vineyard and her own wines from the monestary. She had many visions which she recorded about the "greening power" in all life. She even treated women's STD's and sexual problems. All this in a nun in the 12th century! There is alot about her on the Web and has a cult following of women to this day! She had very modern ideas about agriculture being sustainable if one works with the forces of nature. I agree that women are powerful beings who have the gifts of healing and nuturing for the good of life!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2004 :  7:07:11 PM  Show Profile
I do know for a fact that women in a tribe..commune or family do cycle together. I have seven daughters and we all cycle in a two week period and then we are done for the month. One starts and then the rest follow. We are the healers and the nurturers of the earth and all that is in it. We have survived because we are strong and not weak as society tries to put us down. We have always found a way to survive. Their is no man without us because we are the givers of life.....Hugs, Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2004 :  07:22:32 AM  Show Profile
I've noticed this too Rhonda! In my family of birth my mother sister and I would cycle together, when I left home for college all the women in my dormitory wing would be cycling together, and now my oldest daughter and I cycle together when she is home for the summer. I have often wondered what the mystery is behind this, but I am sure it has to do with ancient tribal living our female ancestors lived. Maybe it has to do with the way women collectivly bond with one another, even strangers. I recently met with my cousins new young bride from Poland and we instantly bonded sharing stories only women can share. If only women could rule the world in place of men...

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2004 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm so excited! Sister Moon Lodge is on it's way to me as we speak. I was also cleaning the storage room this morning and found my copy of "Her Blood is Gold'.

Eileen, That is so neat that you have been able to participate in a moon lodge and give your blood back to the earth. What beautiful thing to be able to participate in.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2004 :  6:12:12 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to say "Hi" and not just lurk. I'm trying to catch up and read every thing I've missed in recent weeks. I really appreciate this topic of conversation as an active follower of feminist spirituality. I would love to reread the Red Tent, and Women who run with the wolves too as well as some of the other books mentioned. What would everyone think of doing this together and having a book discussion? Here is website you may be interested in for a place in Washington where a woman conducts moon circles etc. that I recently found http://sacredgroves.com/
Many blessings!
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2004 :  7:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth-- Good to hear from you again! and thanks so much for this link... I've spent some time reading about this woman.. she is inspiring. If you have time, read this page about why she's doing her work by donation only... good food for thought. http://sacredgroves.com/money.html

Her space isn't that far from my daughter's, so maybe we can arrange to attend one of her seminars together. That would be a wonderful thing for us to share.

I'm up for rereading THE RED TENT, or SISTER MOON LODGE... I would need to order in the WOMEN WHO RUN WITH WOLVES. Great idea. What do you say, girls?

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2004 :  07:41:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth! I think that is a great idea for a book/web discusssion on this subject. I checked out the sacred grove link and Therese is fantastic! How I wish I lived closer to participate in this. I have to share this with all of you... about 6 years ago I had this tremendous urge to build a sacred circle on my land. I had a teenaged daughter and many girlfriends at the time that seemed troubled and I had this desire to build this circle to gather with these women. I went to a farm auction and there were the most beautiful limestone posts I have ever seen. I immediatly thought of a mini stonehenge in my pasture. The rocks were huge and weighed tons and I had no way to haul them to my land. I still want to build something so I am thinking about gathering native sandstone that is abundant in fields around here and build a circle. My husband thinks I'm slightly off center but he is a man and does not understand...

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2004 :  1:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare & everyone,
Yes, I would love to go and visit Sacred Groves when I'm in Washington and meet you there. I'm hoping to go up sometime soon, I haven't been since February and miss my darling granddaughter Stella (and her parents too!), I worry that she will forget me sometimes.
I read the page about working by donation, that was very profound. And I had not heard of Peace Pilgrim before, what an amazing person.
I don't have Sister Moon Lodge, I should order it. Does everyone have the Red Tent?

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  10:24:32 AM  Show Profile
I have just received a copy of the Red Tent from the library. Started to read it last night. Am loving it so far.
Kim Who is the author of Her Blood is Gold? Can't seem to find it at the library but with author they will order it for me on interlibrary loan.I love the idea of a reading circle.
Thankyou Elizabeth for the info on the moon circles. I will read through her sight today.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Eileen.. here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062506412/qid=1096479132/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1368425-6992659?v=glance&s=books
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare,
You must be a wizz at this computer search stuff. I am just beginning to teach myself about how to use my office programs so searching for things gets put to one side. When I do go looking I get frustrated by all the choices and have not figured out how to close in on what I am really looking for.
Appreciate your fast responses.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark Jenny, Clare and everyone,
I'm really glad we got onto this topic. I have missed my woman's circle that disbanded as people moved away (to Washington) or were too busy with finishing college etc and I think this group can fill a void for me.
When my oldest daughter, Jasmin (who is now 22) got her first moon (my preferred word for menstration!) we had a "Blessing Way" with all of the significant women friends and her young friends that felt comfortable taking part. I come from a pretty conservative family so unfortunately my mom would not have understood and didn't attend. Still it was a lovely experience. We all told our stories of our first moontimes, some were funny, some were sad. We sang, we did a ritual I made up in which we measured yarn for a blanket of wishes that I wove for my daughter. Then when my younger daughter, Jillian, got her first moon, she didn't want to talk about it, or have me embarass her with all my kooky woman friends. She went and sat in the big tree in the middle of our yard and cried. It was actually an amazing experience too, because Jasmin went up and sat in the tree with her and they sang and talked. So in a very natural way Jasmin acted as midwife for her little sister and welcomed her into the world of women. I think I would have liked to have a ritual of some kind as a girl and I at times have had my healings through my children's experiences. I wonder what they will say about these things when they are older and their daughters become women.
I got Her Blood is Gold from Amazon and am ready to read any of these books as a group when you are. What do you want to start with?
brightest blessings!
Elizabeth

Edited by - ElizArtist on Sep 29 2004 12:33:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
What a warm wonderful thing Jasmin did for Jillian. What a wonderful thing to do for your daughters. I only wish I had been given this treatment when my time came. Back in the early 60s where I came into my womanhood and in the family where I grew up this was considered a curse and my mother could not even bring herself to discuss the process with me. So sad. I did better for my daughter but it was not until the time was well past that I finally overcame my upbringing and began to learn about other societies and how they handled this very special time of life. Audrey and I have since shared many moon circles with each-other and have a far deeper relationship to each other than I ever had with my mother. I am certain your daughters will carry on the tradition in their own way as you have taught them respect for their womanly bodies.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  4:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Eileen,
Her Blood is Gold is written by Lara Owen. I am rereading mine as we speak. I also received my copy of Sister Moon Lodge and am reading this too. Very interesting.

Elizabeth, how wonderful to have had a group of like minded women to celebrate your daughters first moon. Mine came at Thanksgiving when I was 12.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  4:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Dear Sisters, I have The Red Tent and started to read again dthese last few moonlit nights. It is truley an amazing and healing story. It seems we share similar experiences Eileen when we had our first moon. In 1969 amonth before I turned 13 I entered womanhood confused, angry, ashamed because my mother did not guide me. She seemed angry about the whole process. It was my dear father who comforted me and reassured me that day, and I will always be grateful to the tenderness my dad had shown me. I am trying to think of something meaningful for my 12 year old daughter to celebrate her nu-moon time and Elizabeth and all other sisters here will inspire... Have any of you heard of the White/Red/Black bracelet? I think the white symbolizes the young maiden, the red the fertile childbearer, and the black, the wise one or crone. My daughter is really excited about it all. I hope that is a good sign.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  3:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I think a white/red/black bracelet to celebrate a first moon is a wonderful idea. Will you and your daughter make it together as a ritual project together when her moontime comes? or will you buy one for her? Yes the colors are the maiden/mother/crone, that was another thing we did a Jasmin's blessingway, I hung streamers of the three colors in the entry way of our home and everyone had to pass through them into the living room. The kids loved that, they ran back and forth through them the whole time I left them up.
My mother was pretty good about helping me with my first moon because she too went through a difficult experience her first time. She started at school and, of course was sure she was dying, her teacher was a man and had to tell her it was normal and sent her home, she was very embarassed. When she got home it was her father who told her the entire story because her step mother was no help at all. It's sad isn't it?
You know it's funny because I think many of us on this board are very nostalgic and enjoy old fashioned things. But these there are really some old attitudes that are best left behind us. I'm very happy that we have come so far. Do you ever wonder what new things our children will come up with?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page