Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 I feel most like a farmgirl when
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic
Page: of 10

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when:

I do anything and everything myself without purchasing anything but using what I have.

When I think to myself: "How far back in the process can I go.....can I make it all myself?"

When I compost indoors.

When I keep plowing ahead though some days are grim

A little red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:48:34 AM  Show Profile
When I'm weeding my gardens... but mostly when I'm working on my honeysuckle hedge. (Dreaming of spring now!)
When I'm rolling out crust for a fruit cobbler.
When I'm sitting on my Nana's old glider on my front porch.
When I'm making a bread pudding for the Tuesday morning Bible study group that meets at my barn.
When I'm writing about my grandparents and great-grandparents who were such hard-working pioneers.

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh rats.. I forgot to mention one of my favorite "feel like a farmgirl" things.
When I'm hand-quilting. Definitely feel like a farmgirl when I'm doing that!
Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  2:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by homemom

I am baking bread, with the apron I have sewn on.

I am making my own laundry detergent.

I am looking through the heirloom seed catalogs and reading on how to grow heirlooms in my backyard.

When I work on my craft projects, creating things with my hands.

I, too, am living in the city and yearning for the country. I try each day to bring some of the country into our home.

Thank you for starting this wonderful thread.
~Ruth~

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/

Happy Trails, from the Adirondack Mountains
Sisterhood #328
www.wolfpondstables.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  07:52:10 AM  Show Profile
I have loved pondering this from the day I first read it! After I made my comment, I went for a walk and started doing one of my favorite things... "limericking". This is the first verse:

I feel like a farmgirl when I
Am rolling out crust for a pie
When I'm wearing blue jeans
Making cornbread and beans
When I'm looking at stars in the sky

I loved putting it on my blog. http://field-days.com/im-a-country-girl
Thanks for the inspiration!
Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  2:40:51 PM  Show Profile
During these past few months I have felt most like a farmgirl when we lost power during the great winter storm of 2011:
We made a roaring fire in the fireplace to keep us warm.
We used our oil lamps and homemade candles to light our home.
We used our family's heirloom quilts piled on us to keep us warm and blanket us in a rich history of quilters.fabrics of days and clothing past.
We used the fire and our cast iron to cook our meals.
We had hollowed out apples,added choc chips & peanutbutter wrapped them in foil and put them in the coals for dessert.
I found my old enamel percolating coffee pot and used the fire for the best coffee we had in years.
My beau Chas and I were just reading at the beginning but then we just sat and talked to each other for hours and hours. We talked about what was...what will be and what we would like to do.
I knew I was a farmgirl when half way through when we were well feed and having delightful conversation and the power came back on - So we decided to turn it all off --yep, the lights & took the phone off the hook, turned off the cells, for the rest of the weekend and continue on roughing it just like we had been. It was wonderful. refreshing and romantic.

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Blueberry
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Donna
Fresno California
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  09:32:44 AM  Show Profile
I wear my new apron I found on marketplace and bought from Grace.
When I get stuck behind a tracter or some piece of farm equipment while driving to work.
When driving on the freeway behind a hay truck and I get to smell the fresh cut hay.
While digging in may garden and planting what I grew from seeds.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  7:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I really felt like a farmgirl when I was on the airplane with all those "business types" with their electronic devices (not a put-down but just my observation) and their business clothes and their city talk. I love the farm and I feel like I just "belong" there. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile
I feel like a farm girl when I can share making a pie, planting a garden, sewing a quilt, living life simply and with joy with my daughter. I love to see my "old" experiences through her new eyes!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile
- i love the smell of the fresh earth when my husband tills the fields
- i sit down to dinner and know where all the ingredients came from
- i am excited to plant my seeds or can my tomatoes
- see something in a store that i really love, and say to myself " i can make that!
- i drive my husband's big diesel pick-up to town.
- i am with my family, who are farmgirls & boys

"This country needs cleaner minds & dirtier fingernails." Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I've felt truly like a Gulf Coast Farmgirl when I was reading "The Self-Sufficient Life" by Oil lamp with no power or water after Hurricane Ike in 2009.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  08:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I stare out my window and see nothing but corn fields and trees for miles around.
When I am baking
When I am crafting
When I look up at the night sky and see lots of tiny stars twinkling in the sky.
When my manager says he doesn't know what a Muskmelon is.
And when I think about the fact that we're moving to Alaska in less then seven weeks and driving for nine days! Which means a nine day camping trip through places I have never seen!

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack

Edited by - TansyShy on Mar 12 2011 08:20:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
When I lay on the grass in the dark next to a cornfield and can see the stars and hear the corn grow. Did you know you really can hear corn grow? Kind of a squeeeaaakkk-squeeaakkk as it turns and grows in the husk. Makes me smile and count my blessings.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  7:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when...

...I'm trucking around in my Chevy Blazer with my MaryJanes Farm "Certified Farmgirl" bumper sticker!

...I slip into my apron to work in my kitchen, even though my kitchen is torn apart because we're doing a "do-it-ourselves" remodel.

...I have no idea what to make for dinner because I've been working in my garden or volunteering somewhere but I can pull a few things out of the cupboard and fridge and put together a meal that everyone loves.

or when I see my kitty, Michaelangelo, sitting in the window with the morning sun gleaming on his fur!

Lovin' the lifestyle!

Carrie xo

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  3:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
I love this post, i love reading everyone replys, im a farm grl from OH an i miss it so much now my hubbie an i are stationed in calie with the marine. an with the lil bit of back yard that i have , i fill like a farm grl wen im working in my yard, it brings me back wen i us to with my mom. Also wen i cook from scratch.

[ /size=1 ]I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelon[ /size=1 ]
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:28:11 PM  Show Profile
I really love this post.
I feel most like a farmgirl when I am feeding our chickens, tending the garden, reading Joel Salatan's books!
Nice to know lots of you want to be farmgirls, we are not alone farmgirls; lots of us are reviving the old crafts and teaching
others the old ways.

A servant is one who gets excited about making somebody else successful!
anonymous
Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Grandmell, so glad you made it to your own farm! Borrowed some land and got goats on it, I feel most like a farmgirl walking that tree-shaded
dirt road to the unfinished raw wood barn we built. Hearing the goats "talking" to me as I walk to the barn door...
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like the farmgirl I was when I am in the country. When I grew up, we did things the old ways (wood cookstove, carry water, etc.) It was all hard work but great for youngsters. I live in the city now and physically can't do all the work I still feel like a farmgirl when I make bread or pies, wear my apron, crochet, quilt and find somewhere there isn't so much city noise. You can take the farm away from the farmgirl but you can't take away the feelings.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  05:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Love this post.

I feel most like a Farm Girl when I put on my apron and walk out to the backyard and fill my apron pockets full of veggies and herbs for our dinner. There is nothing like growing your own food.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a Farmgirl, after the weeding is done in the garden, the bread dough Is rising on the kitchen counter, the cows and goats are fed, and I then sit under a shade tree with a big glass of iced tea and survey my accomplishments. Then I smile and sigh deeply, because this is where I have been all of my life.

Light and Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Clee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cindy
Hampton VA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I'm pushing the wheelbarrow, digging in dirt...sans gloves because I love the feel of dirt, hanging clothes on the line...OR

...making kombucha or tibicos beverages or soaked-grain bread loaves from my own milled flour, in my home-made apron...But MOSTLY...

...Sitting on the back deck with my husband, feeling the cool of the fan and the sweat of an icy beverage in hand. I roll the bottle across the back of my neck, around and up under my chin before I even open it for that first sip. It is the end of a day of hot and heavy yardwork.

My hair is in a rolled bandana, the back clipped up for coolness. My feet are bare and just out of boots, toes unconstrained and wiggling with glee.

Eyes, nose and ears soak in the rewards of happy, tenderly loved foliage, vegetable and flower...all bowing to the whim of a barely there breeze as the sun's golden descent hastens.

The pond chuckles over fan-tailed fish as the birds bathe with abandon, spraying yellow-white diamonds into the air above themselves, at times so zealous in their task that they create miniature rainbows. Their family and friends scurry for the day's last meal at the feeders as a mockingbird trills the first cascading, magical notes of his evening love song. The toads are just warming up for a night of their own sonnets. They are diligent lovers and will continue for hours, calling sweetly and loudly to mates, "Meet me down by the old pond!" There, they'll make new babies...babies that will be in attendance at next year's warm weather lovefests.

Night comes softly-a gray-black drape of sheer velvet, kept in cool storage. Against this curtain, fireflies make their entrance like ballerinas on tip-toe, blinking approval timidly at first, but only moments later, boldly becoming a standing ovation...a thousand tiny, shimmering stars.

And though we sit quietly, now holding hands, our hearts are applauding, too. Of what do we approve? The Day. The Night. Creation. Creativity. Working hard. Living Well...Being. It is now, more than any other time, I dare this city in which I live to say I am not...for I know that I am...'Farmgirl'.

You can take the girl from the farm, but never the farm from the girl.
http://www.thenourishednana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile

I put on my "barn boots" (barefeet) and go to the garden to harvest some lettuce, spinach, cucumber and tomato for a lunch salad.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmRose
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Rose
Napa CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  10:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Today, I feel most like a farmgirl when I glance over from my computer at work and I see all of the plant starts I brought in for my co-workers to take home.
Yesterday, when I get out of bed early and go up to water the garden before I leave for work, and when I get home to cook a celebration dinner for friends. We ate fresh greens from the garden, foods I preserved last fall and wine from our family winery.
The day before, when my husband and I are putting just a few more plants into the garden after dinner and the kids are in bed but before it is completely dark.
And before that, when my kids and I plant bean seeds in the garden before school.

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves~Edna Buchanan
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  6:44:21 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl at the end of the day. Putting my feet up cause they hurt from standing, sitting on a comfy couch cause my back hurts, lookng out the back window at the garden all hapyy, green, standing straight up.

Mulch - Whatever
seeds and plants - $50-$100
Labor - Free I gave birth to kids

Satisfaction of a wonderful green garden - Priceless

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  6:57:39 PM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since I've been on here.
I feel like a farm girl when the neighbors cows get loose and I help get them back in the pasture where they belong, bread is baking in the oven and I finished weeding the garden.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page