Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 I feel most like a farmgirl when
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic
Page: of 10

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile
i feel like a farmgirl when I am
baking from scratch using handed down family recipes
preparing a good home cooked meal for my husband and kids
quilting or embroidering beautiful things for my home
being thrifty, reusing and not wasting just like we did when I was a child on the farm
sitting on the balcony watching the sun slowly set and the night settle in. such peace
even though I am an apartment dweller right now I will always be a farmgirl in my heart
Go to Top of Page

biker farm girl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Patty
Mtn. View Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  9:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when...
My husband and I are cutting hay off the same field that I hauled the hay from when I was a girl

when I go out early and milk the goats before heading off to my job

when I call the horses in from the pasture for their "supper", just like when I was 11

When I drive up my driveway and see my house... That my great grandfather built in 1928

When I help move the combines,trucks and fuel wagons for wheat harvest
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:29:29 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a Farmgirl when:
1. I wear an apron I made myself.
2. I tuck my little girl in at night under a quilt I made for her with my own two hands.
3. I see a big basket of blueberries and my first thought is "Pie!"
4. I would rather be knitting than watching T.V.
5. My 4 year old helps me garden by pointing out the weeds and letting me pick them so she won't "ruin my pretty pink nail polish".
6. I sit down at the end of the day with a nice cup of tea to count my blessings.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile
A visitor from town remarks "It's so quiet here. All you here is the tractor in the distance and the birds from the trees."
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:10:03 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when:
~ I'm hanging my clothes out on the line in the sunshine
~ I'm picking mulberries off the tree so my son can eat them with breakfast
~ I have strings of herbs hanging to dry from my kitchen curtain rod, whether they came from my herb garden or I bought them from the farmer's market
~ I'm re-purposing bottles and jars from the store to put homemade lotions & potions into
~ I get together with friends so we can practice shooting our guns or go fishing
~ It's my turn to go pick up our raw milk from the dairy farmer or my food order from the co-op
~ I make my own bread, jam, yogurt, ice cream, butter and cookies
~ I'm driving down a country road and I see the beauty in the corn stalks blowing in the wind or the wheat turning brown and in my head sing, "...for amber waves of grain..."

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:44:58 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I realize that I can make it on my own, WITH kids, dogs, horses, cats and chickens even though I didnt think I could, and neither did anyone else!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sarah,
You go girl! Come talk to us when you need a shoulder. Go to Our Virtual Porch site and come rest with us! You are strong to be doing it so hold your head up and remember why you're doing it.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  3:02:24 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I get up on my own early in the morning and take my cup of coffee out to the garden to see how much it has grown during the night. Just mother nature sounds or a far off sound of the neighbor's tractor.
When I go out to the garden and get everything I need for a meal.
When I go to the feed store and haul a pickup load of feed home for the animals or when sweat is dripping while we are haying and putting by for the cold winter months.
When I balance my check book and about all of my check went for vet supplies, fencing, and animal feed and salt and mineral.
When I tip my 5 gal bucket upside down and sit down on it in the sheep pasture and soon become surrounded by ewes and lambs to be petted. It is very easy to watch the sun go down or come up and say my prayers and give praise for my many blessings and this way of life. I feel so blessed and closer to The Lord living out here away from the hustle and bustle.
Many blessings to you
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  6:11:44 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I sit on the porch with a glass of tea in the early morning and think of all the old-fashioned things I've done since 1942. Did'net have indoor plumbing until I was 14; cooked on a wood stove; ate only food fresh from the farm; didn't have television until I was 15. Made my own fun by watching the wildlife in the field and went to town by horseback and farmed with percherons. I alsways hung my wash out after it was done by hand and seemed an apron and I were inseprable. Now its a memory life with precious farmgirls talking to each other about what we do. Ah.......celebrate! Thanks Mary Jane and all you girls. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  04:04:18 AM  Show Profile
I look in my pantry and see dozens of jars full of the bounty from my garden.
I look out my window over my sink and see my garden flourishing and my scare-crownie Sally waving in the breeze.
I get really excited when I find an old pair of overalls at the Goodwill store.
After a long day, I relax with my latest crochet or sewing project while my DH reads and my dog, Molly snuggles at my feet.
I lay out in my hammock under two tall pine trees and stare up through the branches and just breathe.
I find an old camper and work on restoring her with my DH and dreaming of future glamping adventures.
I snuggle under my sheets that have been hung on my clothesline and smell the freshness.
I meet so many wonderful new farmgirl friends through the sisterhood.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  04:09:31 AM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful thread! I get misty-eyed reading all of the responses! I am a farmgirl in the middle of the ity; I feel like a farmgirl when:
1. I wander through my garden with a steaming mug of coffee early in the morning while wearing my pjs and mud boots
2. I sit and watch the laundry drying on the line, especially if that day's laundry included any quilts or aprons I have made
3. When I hear the sealing ping of freshly canned produce
4. When I am picking cucumbers and don't see them all, just like my mother when she picked cukes from her huge farm garden
5. When I bring homemade bread to my neighbors
6. When my granddaughter helps me tend the garden and we have marvelous conversations
7. When my apartment dwelling daughter asks for a hanging basket of petunias for a mother's day gift

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Scottsville Farm Girl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Karen
Scottsville NY
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile
What a fun topic!

I feel most like a farm girl when I:
- pick vegetables right from the garden, bring them in, and make a nice meal
- make pin cushions with recycled fabric and felt
- dig in the dirt
- am very close to bees and butterflies
- make bread
- am thrifty
- take part in FarmGirl Swaps : )

Karen
Scottsvill Farm Girl
www.oatkacreekstudio.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  10:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello to Farm Girl Karen- We are practically neighbors! The Oatka Trail Road is my all time favorite road to bicycle on. Welcome to Mary Jane's Farm. I sent you an e-mail message introducing myself.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile

1. I'm walking through my yard barefoot...nothing but grass and earth beneath my feet
2. I'm hanging laundry on the clothesline
3. I'm baking anything!
4. I'm sewing, crafting, mending
5. I'm disecting all of my oldest sons favortie shirts from when he was a small child to make into a memory quilt for him for his 18th birthday in Jan.
6. I'm reusing anything.
7. All of our animals (4 cats, 2 guninea pigs and 1 dog) start begging for breakfast and I have to prod my children to feed them
8. we are eating an all homemade dinner without anything in it that my middle son can't have (artifical colors -- yuck)
9. I'm dreaming of the day the Lord blesses us with an 'upgrade' to some acerage so we can have chicken, lambs, etc....meanwhile, enjoying the contentment of what I have already been blessed with. :-D

What a beautiful thread -- I have enjoyed everyone's favorite moments.
Melissa

Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  6:09:20 PM  Show Profile
This is just a great thread...so I'll go ahead and join in too!

1. When I go out to greet my garden barefoot with hot coffee in hand. I love to just say hello to all the glories in my garden.
2.When I feel the excitement ( that only farmgirls do) when I try something new for the first time, like baking a pie from scratch, or growing a new vegetable in my garden.
3. When I approach life with a can do attitude knowing I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.
4. When I go out to check the chickens, and have a little chat while I fill the feeder...
5.When we visit our little summer place ( all solar ) where we hang thing to dry on the clothes line, shower out side, and watch the sunset on the porch.
6. When I hear the motor of my sewing machine humming along while I work on various home decorating projects.
7. When I make meals that are creative and healthy for my family.
8. When I make do with something I have in a new way like hand painting furniture or finding a new use for fabric.
9. Last but certainly not least, when I smell like a horse... this is my all time favorite feeling as a farmgirl...nothing beats it.... plain and simple!

I have loved reading all the " farmgirl feelings"...
You are all so inspiring!

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:25:14 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I am at the county fair, checking out the livestock, 4-H and open class exhibits, feeling like old home week seeing people I haven't in ages.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  8:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy Lou!

From one Lou to another...My nic name as a girl was Debbie Lou... I was born in Texas and one of my Uncles has always called me that. I think I owe him a call!

ps. I love your quote...!
Debbie Lou

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  8:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I feel most like a farm girl when....

I'm full of dirt from my veggie or flower garden and I get into my outside clawfoot tub and wash off before I go in to take a shower.

I get into my other outside clawfoot tub with my beagle to cool her off and we just stay in the water and chill out until we feel like getting out.

I'm already planning for a bigger garden for next year.

I recycle the water from my tubs to water my plants.

I find a bargain...58 plants for less than a dollar each. Lavender, shasta daisies, russian sage, astillbie, coneflowers, blanket flowers and then I'm in my glory planting them.

I'm reaping what I sowed. Thank you Lord for your Blessings!

Farmgirl Sister #1922
Darlene

I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me.
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile
When I'm reading my latest issue of MJ Farm magazine and taking notes about all the projects I'm going to try!!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  04:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
I always feel like a farm girl, because that's what I am. With a name like "Claudia Jean Wheeler", I was destined to be, no matter where life has taken me, now I'm living out my destiny, in the Adirondack mountains. Horses, chickens, rabbits, land...bear, mountain lion, moose....The awe of this part of the country is breathtaking, yet so rugged. I'm in farm girl heaven on earth.

Happy Trails,Claudia
Sisterhood #328
wwwwolfpondstables.com
www.friendsofwolfpond.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
-Garden dirt under my nails (finger and toes) is from my labor of love in the garden.
-Hands are stained purple from slipping skins off the beets I picked from my garden just this morning.

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  05:51:04 AM  Show Profile
I am a part time farmgirl, 13 acrea farm in Maine, my husband bought a DR and said u can use it to do the fields when I am using the bush hog, I said oh really. Little did I know I enjoy getting out in the field to cut them with MY DR. Spent the week in maine, just got back to Ma and miss the farm already. This is our retirement home and I can not wait.
jill
Go to Top of Page

iamacountrygirl
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kathy
Ohio
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile
lots of touching moments..I'm so glad I found you guys...I thought I was wierd for not minding a little dirt LOL

I feel like a farmgirl when
..my horse comes out to the gate to meet me
..when I rest my head on his shoulder while he's eating and he just stands there, content
..I head outside in shorts and hiking boots
..I realize that all my jeans have manure stains along the hems
..I mow around a batch of milkweed because the butterflies feed on it (my neighbors hate that!)
..I empty a canner full of tomato juice and feel very proud of my efforts
..I'm carrying two buckets full of water from the house to the barn..twice a day for 10 years now
..the swallows dive bomb me as I mow the yard
..I talk to the rabbits out in the pasture, and they stop to listen
..I realize I don't care if the house smells a little horsey!

and when I was younger:
..when I'd be out in the middle of a field on a tractor, and all the noise of traffic and people dissapears and you smell the earth...and it's so peaceful...

Some of my best friends are horses and dogs.

http://www.small-business-accounting-info.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when I wear my apron, I've worn them since I was really little. Also when I mend, make pies, bake bread, take time to teach others the farmgirl skills. I'm having a class in simple apron making this fall. If you live in the Minneapolis, MN area give me a jingle.
Also feel like a farmgirl when I make butter from real cream and quilt quilts by hand. So soothing. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I really felt "farmgirl" because I did lots of weeding, gardening, and trimming, seeing field mice, butterflies, hummingbirds, snakes, dragonflies, and deer. Then I baked a squash casserole with squash from my garden, and baked a from-scratch raspberry pie with raspberries picked from my yard (and a homemade crust, to boot). :)

It was a great day.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page