tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  03:06:02 AM  Show Profile
After reading this thread on Sunday, I made a list of some of your suggestions, then scored big at the library yesterday during my lunch hour! Animal Vegetable Miracle on CD to listen to on my commute and Garden Spells. I jumped into Garden Spells and am almost half way done! I tried to read it before bed but I was too interested and it was keeping me up. After the first chapter of Animal Vegetable Miracle I was reading the labels of all the stuff in my 'fridge to see how far it came. Yikes!

Great suggestions everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  12:05:04 PM  Show Profile
I read lots of books. Always have one, sometimes 2 in progress. But my all time favorite, I have read it umpteen times, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Thanks for the suggestions. Need to make a trip to the Library.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Rene' I completely understand your post. I too under life's circumstance found MJ Idea book about the same way a few years ago. To this day when life seems to overwhelm me I get it out and digest it to help me find my way. (not a substitute for my bible) This year my children asked me what I wanted for my b-day and I said MJ Outpost book. When my b-day came it was really funny when I opened my present and there was MJ's Idea book. My daughter said after she was looking at the books she thought that I would enjoy The Idea book more. I had to laugh as I finally think she might just be understanding me and my simple life choice.

I also read The Secert and The Secret Life of Bees both were great books.

I hope to do more reading in 2009.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 1 with 3 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  08:57:09 AM  Show Profile
These days I just keep my Bible with my MaryJaneFarm Books, by my bed, makes things much easier. Also, very important, i keep my glasses with them too!

I didn't read a whole lot this year but I really enjoyed "Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon and "Dewey the library cat" by Vicki Myron.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  12:18:35 PM  Show Profile
For life-changing touchstone books MaryJane's Ideabook and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle are at the top of my list.
For purely entertainment The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
For info -The Omnivore's Dilemma
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I enjoyed those two books too!! Dewey was so adorable and sweet. I am reading Miss Read's book called Christmas Village and her other one The Christmas Mouse. They were both put into one volume. VERY nice and heartwarming.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Like Amy Grace, MaryJane's Ideabook and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle are my two go-to books. MaryJane's for getting in touch with my past and getting grounded. AVM for inspiring me to make a difference in my future.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  10:42:29 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I had started to read it earlier this year, but had to return it to the library after only reading the first fifty or so pages.

The next book on my to read list is the In Defense of Food.
I received both as a gift for Christmas.

I love Mr. Pollan's style of writing, he makes you feel like you are there with him, and doesn't "talk" down to/at you.

I am also going to utilize my bible-in-a-year this year as well. It has been collecting dust long enough.

I usually re read my favorites a lot.
I have read the "Outlander" series at least three times and still find stuff I miss.
I have also read the "Into the Wilderness" series a couple of times as well.

I am looking forward to reading my Mom's copy of "The Killer Angels" about Gettysburg.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jan 01 2009 10:55:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Kate: i just finished my bible-in-a-year!! It was the Charles Stanley version. I miss it now!

Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  06:36:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm tearing through Garden Spells and loving it! Deep in the Indiana winter, it helps me to feel the sun on my shoulders and smell the green from my garden. After I return it to the library I may need to purchase it.

I love the Outlander series too! I read it about once a year and have listened to it on CD.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:08:34 AM  Show Profile
I read the collected autobiographies of Maya Angelou. I really didn't know much about her or know how long she'd been around. Quite honestly I had only seen her on Sesame Street in the 90's when the kids were little! I happened to pick up I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (the first in the series) when I was working at the school. I was hooked by the first page and had to go out and buy my own copy. I went through that and the next four books of her life and was greatly inspired by a pretty incredible woman. I also learned something very important for my own life; I don't have to agree with every action/belief of another person to be inspired and changed by them.

Oh, thought of another one on a lighter note I LOVED The Geurnsey Potato Peel Pie & Literary Society (or is Literary & Potato Peel Pie)? anyhoo I picked it up for the title alone and was warmed by a wonderful read!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Beemoosie on Jan 03 2009 07:13:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Tiffany I love the Outlander series also. Just a fun series to read, it has everything, mystery, intrigue, lust, history, humor, love, yummy men in kilts, it's the whole deal, LOL!

Animal, Vegetable, and Miracle was the book that was so profound for me in 2008. The Secret Lives of Bees had a few passages in it that were quite to the spot for me also.

Another book that I read every other year since my daughter first introduced it to me is, Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It changed my life. It taught me how to be grateful. I don't think anyone can truely live until they learn that life lesson.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Yummy men in kilts, indeed. :) I always miss the characters after I finish the book, like close friends that have been to stay.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  5:37:49 PM  Show Profile
I forgot about Simple Abundance! I loved that book. Oh, and The Secret Life of Bees...loved it!!

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  7:39:40 PM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries this year. Also, after 20 years of watching/loving the movie Out of Africa, I've started reading the book by Isak Dinesen. I also constantly read cookbooks, if those count!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  9:47:35 PM  Show Profile
OMG - I can't remember all the books I read this past year. Let's see, just finished Animal, Vegetable Miracle. Great read.

I agree with Tracey about Sylvia's Farm. Read it prior to 2008 and loved it. Also good is "A Country Year", by Sue Hubbell. Similar to Sylvia's Farm, but takes place in the Ozarks. Another woman doing it alone.

Lately I've been drawn to books about people "doing it" on their own -what ever the "it" is; wilderness living, Amish country living, seaside living, etc. I find them inspiring.

I've also been making my way through the collected works of Henry David Thoreau. I love his insight into nature and how humans have pulled away from this basic connection and are suffering for it. Still sooo true today.

"Nickled and Dimed" (I think that's the title) was an interesting book. It's about a writer who challenges herself to live as a low-end wage earner and journals her experiences. She wanted to prove that in America it's impossible to live on minimum wage. A little depressing, but insightful.

"Chasing Shakespear" is a fun book. Is Shakespear real or...

And, of course, MJF
Go to Top of Page

gratefully0515
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Angela
Fort Wayne IN
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:30:51 AM  Show Profile
I love the suggestions. I read a lot and am always looking for a new author or title. Two of my favorite reads this year were by Ken Follett. Pillers of the Earth and World Without End. My husband and I both enjoyed them, and it was nice to read books we were both excited about discussing. I too read Garden Spells, and really enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I read the "Friday Night Knitting club" as suggested by farmgirls in Alees book forum. I liked it....felt like real people.
I also read "The Heart of a Soldier" true story written by a married woman soldier. It is fairly recent...she was in Iraq in 2004. It is realistic and I am still inspired by her.
Right now (it's Jan) I am reading "Thirty Days" about Tony Blair when England was voting whether to enter into war. True history and fascinating.

You gals have given me some ideas for the next read!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  3:56:21 PM  Show Profile

I absoulutely loved a book called the History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I would have not picked it out for myself but we read it for my book club. The main story is about a holocaust survivor and a young woman and the interface between them. I also enjoyed reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and a book called the Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  06:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Another Barbara Kingsolver fan of AVM - that book really got me to think and change my relationship with food.

Also loved Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me by Jon Katz. I love all of his books about his life with sheepdogs in rural NY & also read his blog daily.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Loved the book suggestions.
I have to agree that I loved "Garden spell" and the Maisie Dobbs series
Another series that I love is the Ladies of Covington. 3 ladies of a certain age move to North Carolina to a small community to live together. Wonderful books about family, frienndship
Also, just finished :The Monster of Templeton" a Locj ness type monster is found in a small town lake in upstate New York. Thinly veiled story about Cooperstown but so much more
Just finished "Little Heathens" a memoir of a young girl growing up on a farm in Iowa with her extended intergenerational family.
Great read for a farmgirl with some really useful information

Michele

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the great suggestions...I love to read and have read many of the one listed. I enjoyed "Saturday at Tiffany's" by James Patterson and )A woman). It is not my favorite book of the year, but different and real different for him. ( I love his mysteries)

Now I will keep my library busy getting the books you have recommended. I have yet to read AVM, but have it on my shelf...Tonight I NEED to begin.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile
The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin....In three minutes, the front subtracted eighteen degrees from the air's temperature. Then evening gathered in, and temperatures kept dropping in the northwest gale. By morning on Friday, January 13, 1888, more than a hundred children lay dead on the Dakota-Nebraska prairie...

I know sounds a tad gruesome, but I love anything to do with American History especially around that time. It's a very good book and well documented.

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  10:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Books I loved in 2008~~~here are a few...just because it's hard to pick just one.
Secret Life of Bees was a HUGE favorite. I also read Garden Spells and really enjoyed the easy read. But just finishing an older book, Beach Music by Pat Conroy, I believe is his name....was one I had a hard time putting down. Didn't want it to end! He did a great job with the characters and weaving a story from the South. I would recommend that.
Of course,,,,I have really enjoyed Mary Janes Lifebook too. Very motivating and inspiring. That's about all for now.
OH YEAH - Friday Night Knitting Club was really great too..and I don't even knit. Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile
I read a couple of Jon Katz's book last year. Loved them! Also read a Maisie Dobbs book. My favorite book for 2008 was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

Right now I'm reading The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald. I've only seen the movie once and found the book at the library last week. What a great book!

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Best Book You Read in 2008 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page