graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  7:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Marcia - I love that book!! She wrote another one or two, one about living on Whidbey Island I think in the 50's - her books bring back memories of a Washington state and Seattle area that I only know in stories from my grandparents and dad. Plus she is funny as heck!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  5:26:08 PM  Show Profile
I read the best book this past year called The Gurnsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society. Such great characters and fascinating plot-- I was glad to see it somebody else's favorite.

I finished a book last week that was super! A Recipe for Bees by Gail Anderson-Dargatz. Its about farm life and love in Canada. I did some internet research on the author = Gail Anderson-Dargatz very interesting lady... looks like she has some other good reads as well.

Lila
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, the list for my library is growing and growing.
Even though I have a huge home library I can never resist finding new books recommended by friends.
My sister jokes that the library may name a wing for me HA
That's my biggest money saving tip lately. I try to get practically everything from the library and keep my book buying addiction at least somewhat under control.
But.... even after getting MJ's books from the library, I had to buy them
You know...there are just some books ya gotta own
Is anybody interested in a MJ book discussion club
We could decide on a book. set a deadline for reading (usually about 6 weeks) and then discuss it online.
Could be fun. Besides, we wouldn't have to clean the house and could do it in our 'jammies.
Michele

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  9:54:19 PM  Show Profile
I've been inspired by a book about Mother Theresa--"Come Be My Light". It's a collection of her private letters and the obstacles she faced and the darkness she had to overcome--it's not easy being a saint, and this book is testimony to that fact. It's personally enlightening to me to find out that she experienced great spiritual darkness, for years at a time. Everything she did, she did for love of her Savior--she wanted people to see Him and not her. As one person who met her commented:
"She isn't pretty, but she sure is beautiful".
Prairiehawk
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:01:15 PM  Show Profile
My scriptures!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile
I LOVED Animal Vegetable Miracle, and about 3 weeks ago came across Animal Dreams in my "books to read" pile. I read it in a day or two, and in the past 2 weeks have picked up everything else by Barbara Kingsolver at the library and read all of them. Just finished The Poisonwood Bible a few days ago and now I am just craving MORE Kingsolver!!!! So, in the end, my favorite author of 2008 was by far Ms. Kingsolver, but I can't pick a favorite book. Sorry :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  1:59:54 PM  Show Profile
I loved Garden Dreams, lovely read. One of my favorite re-reads is Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, and AVM by Ms. Kingsolver is also a good one.

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

StasiaSpins
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Stasia
Augusta (Eau Claire) WI
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile
"The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry. I have book-loving friends from very diverse backgrounds, and every one to whom I've recommended this book has loved it. It is simply too complicated (in a good way) to describe, and utterly unpredictable right through the end. The reader on the Audible.com verson did a fantastic job.

It's a mesmerizing book. I haven't stopped thinking about it since finishing it. In fact, I can't wait to "read" it again!

http://www.amazon.com/Lace-Reader-Novel-Brunonia-Barry/dp/0061624764/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238102990&sr=8-1

http://www.TuppinzFarm.com Heritage Sheep ~ Goats ~ Donkeys ~ Poultry
http://YarnAndABarn.blogspot.com Spinning ~ Knitting ~ Weaving ~ Quilting ~ Crocheting
Go to Top of Page

mrsdhayes
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  9:22:32 PM  Show Profile
I decided early in 2008 to read as many classics as I can. I didn't appreciate them when I was forced to read them in high school (many, many years ago!). I've loved Jane Austen's books (Emma, Northanger Abbey), Willa Cather's book (My Antonia) Edith Wharton's book (The Age of Innocence). You can pick them up at book sales or thrift stores! There's a reason many books remain classics! They add to an understanding of history, too. I've also enjoyed Beverly Lewis' books.
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  05:10:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MissWhit

I LOVED Animal Vegetable Miracle, and about 3 weeks ago came across Animal Dreams in my "books to read" pile. I read it in a day or two, and in the past 2 weeks have picked up everything else by Barbara Kingsolver at the library and read all of them. Just finished The Poisonwood Bible a few days ago and now I am just craving MORE Kingsolver!!!! So, in the end, my favorite author of 2008 was by far Ms. Kingsolver, but I can't pick a favorite book. Sorry :)

My favorite Barbara Kingsolver book is Prodigal Summer.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:40:21 PM  Show Profile
I loved My Antonia. Have you read Out of Africa?

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  4:29:38 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite books of all times was I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I could not put it down when I read it a few years back.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  5:00:56 PM  Show Profile
My favorite book was Three Cups of Tea. It touched my soul. What a good man - he is finally getting some well-deserved recognition for all the good work his organization does for children.
It's a must read.

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  04:47:13 AM  Show Profile
On wings of Eagles by Ken Follett

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.blujay.com
http://tinytaylorranch.ecrater.com/
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone else read "Little Bee"?
I was extremely disappointed in it. There is all thius hype about not revealing the ending and it was definitely nothing special
Would like to know what everyone else thinks.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  9:03:51 PM  Show Profile
My absolute fave was The Other Boley Girl. I couldn't put it down. I also really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Best Book You Read in 2008 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page