Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Best Book You Read in 2008 Next Topic
Page: of 3

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile
What is the best book you have read this year?
I asked this last year for 2007 and LOVED the responses.
So what was it this year? The very, very best one?

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Can I add just one?? I read quite a few really good ones, so will mention the writer ;)

Terri Blackstock. I love her books, Christian suspense, the best combination!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  6:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Looking back through the books I've read I think I'm going to say-

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible
by A.J. Jacobs

It was such an interesting, funny, thinker of a book. Loved it.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  7:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Coraline by Neil Gaiman was my all time favorite of the year.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:40:01 AM  Show Profile
I think the best one I've read is The Wild Irish by Robin Maxwell. Two powerful women of indomitable will-Elizabeth I and the sea-loving Irish pirate, Grace O'Malley-collide in this vivid but ungainly historical drama.
I could barely put it down. This is one book I would like to see made into a movie but I love big epic historical tales and especially Irish history.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  09:02:01 AM  Show Profile
I have read SO MANY books this year it's FRIGHTENING! It's hard to choose just one.

I would have to say, though, that the book I'm reading right now is very good. I'm not quite finished, but will be by tomorrow. It's called "Sylvia's Farm -- The Journal of An Improbable Shepherd" by Sylvia Jorrin. The book was written based on Farm articles she wrote for her rural New York paper. She owned an old 85 acre farm in the Catskills and decided to make a full time business of sheep farming on the encouragement of her "Business partner" and nieghbor. She got a starter flock of 9 sheep from a local gov't agency -- on contract -- and so her adventures began. After only a year, and several sheep added to the mix, her partner bailed on her and left the workings of the operation totally on her shoulders.

The story chronicals 15yrs of shepherd life and all that entails -- the joys, heartaches, disasters and triumphs. Anyone who's ever lived the life knows what I mean.

She has the most wonderful names for all of her critters! "Miss Pettigill", "Ophelia Applebasher," "Lady Collette du Bac," "Allie McBeal," "Sir Pegasus," "Fiona MacDonald" etc... and a Guard Donkey (who never seemed to guard at all, since he didn't like sheep!) named "Guiseppe Nunzio Patrick MacGuire" --- isn't THAT a name? It's a rather insiring story for me-- a shepherdess myself for the past 10yrs. Makes me realize that I'm not the ONLY one who has no idea what I'm doing!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  09:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have been watching this thread, and being an avid reader I know that I can come up with some quaint "perfect", politically correct response, avoiding those that would say, if I were to answer this question honestly, Oh, she is suppose to say that!

And since most of you are getting to know me really well, you will not be surprised that I am not going to take the "politically correct" route... Instead, I will speak MY truth and I will know that you will understand it.

In the list of 36 books I have read this year.... My best and the one that has produced the most fruit and change in the core of me... is MaryJanes Idea book...

I bought it at a time in my life where I was having this internal discussion with myself... that went like this "Lucy you have some "Esplainin' to do". You know what I mean... you wake up one day and go... "OHMYGOSH" how did I GET HERE...I was questioning everything; my career path, my marriage, my faith, my successes and failures... and drowning in it. I felt that I was being strangled by all the "titles" that I had allowed others to put on me and yet not really knowing what title I wanted to be defined in.... If any! I recall sitting on the floor of the isle in the local Barnes and Noble (my favorite thinking place) Book in hand and reading page 8... "what is a farmgirl" and in those pages... for the 1st time maybe, finding myself.............Somewhere in there, I saw that all that I am... sinner, saint, friend, sister, daughter, parent, wife, artist, writer.....all of the things that I longed to be, do, and obtain.... finally there was a title big enough to engulf it all..........FARMGIRL!

I sat there that morning thumbing through and gaining new energy, new vitality and new purpose... Well Ok. Not new purpose... really old purpose.... being "re-purposed" into something that was usable.

Later that evening as I read every word I stumbled across the section in the book called "dedications". And for whatever the reason, my brain was able,in that moment, to interject women that I had in my life into those squares... and for the 1st time in a very long time I could see the asset column of my life Larger than the losses and it was a turning point in my life.

Short of the Bible, for me... I cannot think of another book, which just in its 1st 17 pages ignited this kind of change for me. A magical place where you’re present runs smack into destiny. And here I am 12 months later... and another birthday approaching, and another year behind and the blessing from this year are quickly spilling over into the next. I can easily reflect to all the amazing people that I have encountered, the things I have learned to do, that I didn’t know I could do, the personal challenges that I have faced... and won. I love the feeling of being surrounded by sisters that "get it"! And I love the knowing that this title I now wear proudly isn’t defined by any one thing, it is both wings and roots... it looks as different as all of us that wear it... it is stilettos one day, and muck boots another... it is silk and flannel and embraces ANYTHING I can come up with.

That day, sitting in Barnes and Noble... I didn’t go there with any one thing in mind... I was looking for answers to how to fix everything that felt "broken". IN the last year as a farmgirl, I have been "mothered" by some of the best, I have sisters that have embraced me and allowed me access to their lives in real and tangible ways and I have been touched, stretched, and found profound joy. I have been able to bring my limited talents to the farm and been allowed to serve other farmgirls... and anyone who walks into my home, the 1st thing they will see is MaryJanes Idea book on a table in my entry way. The best change is that my world seems bigger, brighter and somehow better. I guess it is truly just a condition of MY heart!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile
WOW Rene, what a wonderful testimony!! That is ONE book I would love to read, but alas.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  10:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, I gotta get that book. I've heard about it. Time to hit the library I guess. I just don't read as much as I'd like due to my knitting obsession--thanks for sharing though.

Fun when a book can inspire us so much to think outside of ourselves.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  12:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh you must get if Jami! I know you're a "shepherd girl" too, so I think you will appreciate it. I got my copy on Amazon-- it was a former libraray book, but in excellent condition. (not to mention inexpensive)

I have to say, the book is not for everyone. Those who have never had a live encounter with sheep, let alone spent sleepless nights in the lambing barn, wading through the muck in freezing winter just to check on pregnant ewes or to bottle feed lambs, nursing ailing old sheep etc... would quickly become bored with it. I can also understand why a few of the books "critics" thought it was a cold hearted and cruel account of the farm life Sylvia talks about. But those of us who REALLY KNOW that life -- all those emotions a shepherd experiences are just too numerous (and sometimes too intense) to put into so few words. It's like seeing (or rather READING) a part of my OWN life through someone else's eyes. I think once you read it you will agree with me Jami. **Hugs**

Rene-- I was touched by your words and so thankful that you have reached this point of freedom in your life. Me, Myself and I have ALWAYS danced to the beat of "our" own drum-- so much so that I thought I was a FREAK- (though I know now that I'm NOT). Living my dream in the country (where my heart has ALWAYS been) has allowed me to be just who I am. No apologies, no excueses-- just free to be-- simply-- ME! It's a grand feeling isn't it? Now that that door has been opened for you, don't let ANYONE try to slam it shut! Embrace who you are and keep those wings spread and riding high on the currents of life!! Hugs~~Hugs~~Hugs! ~~Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  7:05:17 PM  Show Profile
I loved "Three cups of Tea... One mans mission to promote peace... one school at a time" The true story of Greg Mortenson just may change your life and encourage you that one person can make a difference.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  9:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is the one that really stands out. I really need to start writing down the books as I read them. I have read ALOT of books this year.
I am reading Messenger by Lois Lowry right now..after finishing her The Giver and Gathering Blue...both awesome...especailly The Giver.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile
I read "The Shack" by William Paul Young--it is causing a stir in religious circles, but I loved it...it made me understand better how much God loves me and I have a deeper desire to exercise forgiveness! I strongly recommend it to anyone who's earthly father was a disappointment. Our heavenly Father is soooo different!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile
It's hard to keep track I read A LOT. I really liked "The Shack" by William Paul Young, that was one that made me think. I always like the Cape Light series by Thomas Kinkade (light reads).

Right now am reading a biography about Mother Theresa.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:07:33 PM  Show Profile
My goodness, I have read so many books this year that I can't pick just one. I love to read.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle was a real eye opener for me.

Rene~I read MaryJane's book in three days and then reread it a few more times before I had to return it to the library. I can't wait to buy it. I love Barnes and Noble, too.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AprilRain
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

April
MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile
What a terrific question! Probably high up on the list is the Fairacre series of books by Miss Read. These gentle and humorous stories from a simpler time and place always make me feel quieter inside. ;) I can't wait to get the next ones, which I'll order shortly. I've only read the first three, and they were wonderful companions when I was in Europe over the summer.

For health, I've really loved "One Body, One Life" by Gregory Joujon-Roche. It just makes so much sense and helps me address the more mental aspects of why I don't take better care of myself. ;)

And finally (for general non-fiction), "The Gentle Art of Domesticity" by Jane Brocket is a wonderful and colorful read, sure to inspire some domestic adventuring of one's own. :D Here is the author's blog: http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

proudnanaof3
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Kim
Denton NC
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:18:12 PM  Show Profile
This year I really got into serious reading and I read a large variety of types. My favorite would have to be the "Twilight" series. I had a difficult time in putting the books down. Stephene Myers really did a great job in creating a book for Young Adults that adults can also enjoy. Next on my list would have to be "The Shack" by William Paul Young that is a controversial book but if you are strong in your faith it is an inspiring book getting a person closer to knowing the Trinity. Of course the 3 MaryJane books were introduced to me and I was hooked.

Farmgirl Sister #295

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  9:15:21 PM  Show Profile
April,
I will look for One Body One Life. Sounds like something I could use to read right now since it is the time of year to eat goodies and slack a little on exercise.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

AprilRain
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

April
MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin~

The book may be difficult to find in stores; I had to get mine from Amazon. But if you'd like to see some of what his approach is about, his blog and website might be useful. :)

http://www.onebodyonelife.com/

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

flatheadlakegirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Marilyn
Polson MT
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  3:58:25 PM  Show Profile
My goodness, I have to agree that it would be impossible to choose just one favorite. I notice alot of you are reading the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer. I'm afraid its NOT my pick. Never mind me if you enjoy it. If you are looking for some books with a bit of romance, a little magic and lots of fun I recommend "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen, or "The Mistress of Spices" by Chitra Divakaruni. You'll be delighted by the stories and the QUALITY of the writing. If you enjoyed the "Maisie Dobbs" mystery series try to find Suzanne Arruda's Jade del Cameron series. The first is "Mark of the Lion" I really couldn't put this one down!She makes adventures in Africa come alive. Are any of you reading the very charming "Elm Creek Quilters" series by Jennifer Chiaverini? "Hattie Big Sky" by Kirby Larson is the "One Book Montana" selection for 2008 and a Newberry Honors winner and deservedly so. This is wonderful story of a teenage girl coming our to Montana to homestead. If your family enjoys reaading aloud together this is perfect for you. Hope you enjoy some of these too.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  9:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I'd have to say my favorite book of the year was a non-fiction book about the Civil War battle of Gettysburg, "Twilight at Little Round Top" by Glen W. LaFantasie. He makes a very complicated event seem much clearer, and he does that by synthesizing the eyewitness accounts of a number of soldiers and civilians into a logical sequence. He pretty much follows a collection of individuals step by step over the battlefield and explains what they were seeing and experiencing. I've visited Gettysburg a number of times, after taking a whole class on the Civil War in college, and this is the one book that really made the foggy general idea of what happened there come into focus for me. I especially appreciate that he spends a good bit of time on the contribution of Rochester's 140th NY regiment.

If you are looking for a Christmas present for someone who's interested in the Civil War, or in general military history, I would highly recommend this book.
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hey Marilyn, you and I like the same kinds of books. I LOVED Garden Spells. It reminded me a bit of Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, one of my all time favorites. And I also read (and watched the movie)The Mistress of Spices. Awesome story!
My favorite book this year is called Sarah's Key. It is a very moving story about the Holocaust, one young girl's story pf survival intertwined with a modern writer who is researching the Holocaust. It was sooooo good. I was in Target the other day and saw a woman looking at the book, and when I told her I loved it, she bought it!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Last night I finished reading a book I started the night before, Before Women Had Wings. What a powerful story, what an incredible writer. I read so many books, because I don't sleep all that well, but this one was a dazzler...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  07:35:11 AM  Show Profile

"Grace" by Richard Paul Evans. It is a quick read, absorbing, and leaves you in tears in the sad parts.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
The Shack is my best book of 2008. After that it's Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I have to admit that I have not read this year like I usually do. Another thing to add to my list for 2009 - make more time for myself to sit and read!

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn,
I have to agree with you... I loved Garden Spells but read it in 2007. Everyone I have recommended it to has loved it also. It is just an easy to read, fun story.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Best Book You Read in 2008 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page