Page: of 2

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  06:42:03 AM  Show Profile
This is not a thread to start a debate about whether birth control is right or wrong morally but whether it is safe. While I would never use birth control due to my moral convictions I don't think I could ever use it even if I didn't think it was wrong. Why? Because I think that it really messes with a woman's natural body cycle and it is just totally unnatural. I am not talking about the women who need it for medical reasons (as I do think that it is more of a medicine then anything else) but those who use it purely for birth control.
So what does everyone else think, including those who have or are using it? Do you think it is safe? I especially think the one that makes your period disappear, or only happen once or twice a year is scary! As women aren't we meant to have a cycle each month? Aren't our overies supposed to eject an egg each month? What happens to our bodies when this is delayed or prevented? What happens to our bodies when all of these hormones are put into a normally healthy body? What is your take on the pill, patch, or an IUD?
-Elizabeth

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Those are all good questions. I'm certainly hoping it's safe because I've been using the pill for 8 years and probably will continue until I reach menopause. As far as I know, the research concludes that it's safe. No increased risk of any cancers, perhaps slightly lower risk of ovarian and breast cancer (vs natural childlessness).

I also saw an article once that suggested having a period every month was not the norm before birth control. In the days when most women spent their fertile years either pregnant or nursing, they might only have a few periods in their lifetime. This article suggested that perhaps the wear and tear on the uterus and ovaries from repeated monthly periods was a health concern itself. Wild, eh?

I try to keep informed about it, and if any new research comes out suggesting that the pill is not as safe as it currently is believed to be, I'll have to make some changes. But for now, I think I'm good.
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:05:33 AM  Show Profile
OK well I guess I'll jump into the pot of boiling water!!! I am a married mommy to three children under 3 and believe it or not I have no moral issue with MOST of the birth control PILLs out there. I have also been through some time in midwifery training, which is now on hold till my babies grow up. The shots and pills that make your menses disappear are not great for your health in my opinion. The IUD IS AN ABORTAFED. It will kill a fertilized egg and if you are not exceptionally careful you could lose a healthy uterus due to an IUD. The patch is no longer on the market due to severe health issues it caused...no need to comment on that!! If you are going to use a pill, just do some research on it or talk with your doc. I personally have a Christian doc. that holds to the same views that I do, so I feel as if she is being very honest with me. I have more of a moral issue with those who use "natural" family planning, but that is based purely on my view of the Bible and my religious beliefs. Anyway, I use the pill and have no difference in my health or menses while on or off. Each woman and each family have to function in these areas how they feel best.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Misty. I'd like to know more about your moral issues with natural birth control v. the pill. Seeing as how it's based on Christian beliefs and interpretation of the Bible, which might be sensitive to some folks here, you can email me off the message board. I sent you an email already.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I would like to hear your views on natural family planning vs. the pill too. It's funny because my moral views are agaisnt the pill and for natural family planning! lol So am just wondering why you think otherwise.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Ok. Well I'll go ahead and share my beliefs but 1. This is my interpretation of the Bible...and the way it was taught to me growing up-I am not a seminary grad. 2. I don't want to argue or cause controversy...just my point of view. OK. in the New Testament in the book of 1 Corinthians 7:2-5 the ONLY reason to not come together as husband and wife is for prayer and fasting. I see no mention that we have permission to deny our husbands to control having children. Say if your husband needs you during your ovulation and you've just had a baby....I personally feel as if it would be sinning for you to deny him on the basis of not wanting another baby. MOST birth control pills are not abortafeds, therefore I still get a period every month, it doesn't matter when my hubby needs me or I need him and when we want a baby which seems to be fairly often :-) I just discontinue the pill and usually within two months we have two lines on a pregnancy test!! I have had totally healthy pregnancy's and 3 perfect babies!! (Just a side note...nursing does not work for me as birth control....thus my second son!!! Wouldn't trade him for the world though!) Anyway, that's my view. The way it has been explained to me is that with the natural family planning there is the whole scheduled sex and the avoiding anything like that around ovulation. Sounds good...but for me it is against what I think the Lord would want. Any thoughts?!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I understand your point of view now. Before I was thinking, How can NFP be wrong? I will post my thoughts and views as well and am open to comments or questions but just want you to know that this is my moral understanding of NFP. I understand religion, and birth control, is a touchy subject but I think when we can share our thoughts and views without putting another view/thought down then it is productive and friendly conversation. Besides, I think that there is a lot of confusion and questions out there on NFP and while I am no expert I am Catholic which is one of the few religions which encourage it over other forms of birth control. So while my orignal question was just about the actual health concerns of artifical birth control I think maybe we can look at other forms of birth control (NFP being one) as well.
The Bible does mentions sexual abstinance as only being used during times of fasting and prayer. Those who practice NFP consider your fertile time as being a time of prayer if you are not ready to conceive that month. As a Catholic we believe that sexual relations between a husband and wife is not only meant to be a "fun, intimate time" but also a life making action. While sex does not always result in a pregnancy (thank heavens!) it is always open to life and there is no barrier between man and wife. So morally, in our church, sex should always be open to the idea of life. Now the church also practices that the number of children should not be limited unless of dire, or very important reasons. Health of mother, health of father, dire financial circumstances are all reason why a pregnancy can be avoided. When a pregnancy must/should be avoided the fertile time is a time in which to abstain and prayerfully consider whether this is/is not a good time to avoid a pregnancy. So abstaining in NFP is a time of prayer, which is going according to the Bible. It is also a self-less act as you and your husband decide together to abstain and have a "sexual fast". NFP when done right has a higher sucess rate then any other form of birth control. That is...when done right. Many people chart or track temperatures but don't do it all and that is why some people roll their eyes at NFP as being effective. It must be followed to the letter, though some couples have a much easier time with it then others.
My understanding with any form of birth control pill or IUD is that there is always a chance of aborting an already fertilized egg. I know that there are much better pills out there now but I thought the pill worked several ways, to supress ovulation but to also thin the lining of the uterus *just in case* you did ovulate and conceived the uterus would be a hostile place for the egg to grow. Even talking with some OB/GYN no one could say with 100% certainity that you would not ovulate, they just said it was a slight chance. So even if there was a .001% of ovulation and conception I personally couldn't take that chance. That is just my opinion. Any questions?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  1:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just a thought ladies- but I know the moderators have strongly requested that we not discuss things that can cause strife such as religion and politics. Perhaps such conversations are best via email?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Alee-
I considered that but so far I see the conversation as enlightening and friendly. I think sometimes it is places like these that we can learn new things and while I know that religion can be a very touchy subject I also think that we shouldn't always avoid conversations like these. I learned a few things today already from these posts and don't always find the religion topic hostile. So as long as MaryJane or the others allow it I hope we can post on this thread, as long as it is kept friendly and not putting others down. While I know there are women of other religions, and those who believe in other powers on this forum I don't see sharing my beliefs as wrong. I enjoy reading WHY other people believe the way they do and while I may not agree with them it is good to see the reasoning behind an action. NFP and birth control pills are probably on the minds of 99% of us here and whether we agree with one form or another I think, personally, that it should be okay to share why we believe the way we do. If this topic is decided to be wrong for this forum I will respect that decision as well.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  2:30:36 PM  Show Profile
OK well I see where you're coming from and appreciate you explaining your view. I just get concerned when people use the NFP as an excuse without really having a good explanation. If you truly use that time as a time of prayer then I see no reason why you would be off the mark biblically!! Thanks for sharing. While I totally respect your views, I personally have no problem using the birth control pill. I also feel we will come to a time when we will say we are done, and I will have permanent surgery. I also do not feel as if this is wrong. The Lord provides us with food, but we do not sit and gorge ourselves just because it is provided to us. God gives us the ability to have children, but I will have what I can handle, just like I stop eating when I am full. Anyway, thanks for a great and informative conversation!
I think that so far there is no reason to take the conversation to e-mail. If the moderators feel as such, I also do not have a problem with it. This issue applies to all religions, all political parties and for the most part all woman.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I have used birthcontril since I was 14(I'm 30 now). I have been using the patch for the last 4 years. Someone above said it wasn't available anymore but it is because I just purchased it last week. However I have seriously wondered about the safety of BC and by my own choice have quit using it since August. (I am still buying the patches monthly because it was"prepaid" by my insurance through January.). I have not felt "well" in a long time and began to think it was possibly hormone related. This month is the first month I have actually started to feel "normal". I have been trying to lose weight for years with no success but in the last two weeks I have lost over 5 pounds.

I think pharmasutical companies are quick to say things are safe because no one would buy them otherwise.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  5:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Julie,
The patch Ortho Evra is the one no longer available. I was on it for a month and was SICK. That is when I switched over to the pill. Not long after that it was removed from the market!!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  7:00:17 PM  Show Profile
I just purchased it last week! Thursday to be exact. Maybe it's not available in you area. You can get more info about the patch at www.orthoevra.com/orthoevra/home.html

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Nov 10 2008 7:03:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  04:01:48 AM  Show Profile
OK wow...I was totally mis-informed!!! Sorry!!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile
There has been A LOT of controversy over the patch. And for good reason in my opinion which is part of why I'm not using it anymore. There has been talk of possibly pulling it but after meeting with the FDA back in april they chose not to. I liked it while I was on it because of the convenience but I do think my not feeling well had to do with it. Supposedly it raises your estrogen levels by like 60%!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile
When I was young (19) I tried the pill and it caused serious problems and I couldn't take it. I had/have serious circulatory problems and the pill is very bad for women who do. But then, as it turns out, so is pregnancy.

I suffered blood clots after the birth of my first and the doc did tests every week on my second unborn son to determine how soon he could do a C-section to avoid the same problem. I was immediately put on blood thinners (Coumadin) to prevent clots. But he did not realize that the pill would be bad for me until I suffered blood clots again with them. I ended up having an IUD (Copper 7 which is no longer available) which, worked for me for 8 years. Then we decided to try for one more and hope for a girl. We got what we wanted, but I had to go through the same testing/procedures/Coumadin as with my last one. I was only 28 when I had my daughter, but my doc said that with my history, he highly recommended no more children and that I have tubal ligation. He said that any other means of birth control was too risky for me and that I was a very lucky woman, so far. So, that was it.

The pill and IUD may be fine for some, but not for everybody. If anyone is thinking of using these, they should have extensive testing done and family health history is certainly a factor, too. They didn't know it then, but I had Lupus and something they call anti-cardio lipin which were the cause of all my problems. They have specific tests for these, now. I highly recommend that anyone considering birth control, who has ANY family history of any auto-immune disease have these tests done as well.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com

Edited by - lisamarie508 on Nov 11 2008 08:39:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile
My nurse/midwife who is also my OB highly recommends the Mirena IUD, all the NM's in her group have used it successfully. I am on my 4th year with mine, and my thoughts are--where has this been all my life? Little to no hormones in my system (unlike the 16+ years I had with the pill), very light periods, no cramping, no hormonal rollercoaster when you have to double up after a missed pill. Do I think birthcontrol is safe...not really. I think some may be safer for some people than for others, but anything foreign in your system seems to be toying with health safety. I also believe (no basis for this, just a feeling) that many birth control methods may be contributing to infertility so as much as I love my IUD (and I really do), I would never recommend it to a women who hasn't had any children yet. This is just my humble opinion...I am no expert in this area by ANY means.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile
The reason I asked this question in the first place is because everywhere you turn (magazines, tv) the drug companies scream "Fewer periods a year!" and the whole nine yards but it seems, from those who have taken the pill the doctors just write out a prescription without giving them all the risks. My friend was on it as a teenager for her acne and developed a spot on her liver that needed lost of testing. It turned out to be okay but was due to the birth control pills. My aunt was on the pill from an early age and had a stroke in her early 40's which the doctors admitted could have been due to the pill. Now I hear of so many going on it for the convience of not having a period or being able to "know when their period will come" and it seems like it is messing with nature.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2269 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile
IUDs are dangerous. I have a daughter-in-law who ended up in the hospital and almost lost her life due to a migrating IUD.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  5:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I don't get the whole thing about not having your period. I agree about messing with nature. That freaks me out.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Having never wanting children, in my mid-20s I tried in vain to find an OB/GYN who would perform tubal ligation, let alone a hysterectomy. It was impossible; they all declined and told me get on the pill because I "would change my mind later." Since I was not comfortable w/taking artifical hormones, and I did not want to support the pharmaceutical industry to the tune of hundreds of dollars a year on principle, BC was condoms for over a decade. Now in my late 30s (and never "changed my mind" nor has DH) and dealing with severely heavy, painful, and highly irregular menses, my OB/GYN recommended the Mirena IUD. I was not 100% happy with the idea of artifical hormone regulation but I got over it real quick - I am more regulated & it is light years better than dealing with menses so awful I could not even leave the house. The contraception is an added perk but not the reason for it. Since menopause comes very early in the women in my family, by the time the IUD is schedueld for removal in almost 5 years I will probably go straight into it. I hope to also deal with that without pharma, but if push comes to shove it comes down to quality of life - when I cannot get out of bed due to symptoms, I will break down and take something.

As an aside, my grandmother married and had her first child at 15 and was pregnant almost constantly for the next 18 years, and had a total of 11 living children before age 33. She was a very petite lady and I can only imagine what stress that put on her physically and hormonally.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  12:01:41 AM  Show Profile
God designed women to have monthly periods. I do not think it is healthy for a woman to use drugs just for the convenience of not having a period. Having a period is the normal cycle of our bodies. That said - I think birth control is a matter of personal choice. Having children or not is a matter of personal choice. I used the pill for about 5 years after I had my first child. That was in the 70's and it was horrible - the one's now are more advanced and much easier on the body. Made me moody and just felt sick most of the time. I quit taking it and tried to have another baby but was unsuccessful. My husband and I divorced about 7 years later. I got remarried and at age 42 got pregnant again after being told I would never be able to have more children. Stephany is such a blessing. I've not really had to deal with birth control much over the years and now don't have to worry about it all. Menopause is a good thing!! I'm not sure what my choice would be. But I do know that I would not want to have 10 or 11 children! I admire those mother's that can handle that many children. I'm not personally wired that way!

Handmade Soap and More! http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  06:04:25 AM  Show Profile
"As an aside, my grandmother married and had her first child at 15 and was pregnant almost constantly for the next 18 years, and had a total of 11 living children before age 33. She was a very petite lady and I can only imagine what stress that put on her physically and hormonally."

My great-grandmother had 10 children who lived to adulthood and 3 miscarriages! I can't imagine. But she was healthy and active until her late 80s, so I guess all that childbearing didn't do any lasting damage.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  06:51:46 AM  Show Profile
While I think being pregnant and raising children is hard on a body there is research that our bodies are healthier for having children. For every pregnancy and length of time breastfeeding your chance of uterine and breast cancer is decreased. And I recently read a few studies about living past the age of 100 and they basically said that the majority of those were thin white women who have had more then 4 children. Of course nuns happen to live longer then the average person as well and they have no children but the majority of those living past the age of 100 had a lot in common. But then again, isn't being a homemaker/stay-at-home mother one of the worst professions since we are expected to die earlier then other professions? I read that it is due to the stress. HA! So anyway, not to say you should/shouldn't have a certain number of children but there are studies out there touting the benefits. My grandma had ten children and is healthy as a horse right now at the age of 80, even though she smokes like a chimney.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  6:59:26 PM  Show Profile
I've been on the pill for a very long time-22 years-early on because of debilitating cramping and nausea, and later because of choosing to not have children. I've done a lot of research on it. If a good doctor prescribes the pill, they should have also done a thorough physical exam and medical history. If you have certain conditions, then the pill may not be the best choice. For people like me, who can take it safely, it is perfectly safe.

As someone mentioned above, research shows that it is very safe. No increased risk of ANY cancer, and it lowers the risk of some types.

I use the type of pill that does cause you to skip periods. I tend towards anemia, and was often sick just after my period. It made me feel so much better to not have it every month. Much more energy and much less illness.

I really think there is no one hard and fast rule. It is about what works best for different people-personal beliefs, physical needs, etc.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  01:46:14 AM  Show Profile
I have been on the pill since I was 15 (I'm now 20) and I recently switched to the nuva ring. I have found no health problems with taking birth control and am very fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to use birth control. I have been in a commited relationship for almost 4 years now and we do not yet want children. I am waiting until I'm around 30 to really start thinking about having kids. I want to be financially stable with a job and a home before I have children.

I have noticed that birth control had helped my periods become lighter with less menses and cramping. I am never doubled over in pain from them.

I do not agree with the pills that make women have less or no periods per year. That scares me. I feel that it is natural and normal to have a period and it sounds unhealthy to not have one.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Birth Control Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page