Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  03:22:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been off and on the pill since 1997 and have had no ill effects.

If we remain active and take care of our bodies, there's not much threat these days.

the dosages are much lower than they were say back in the 60's.

I don't smoke anymore and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

All the pill is-is synthetic hormone that tricks your body into not releasing an egg every month

I'm nearly 40 and am still debating about the child issue. To me it's being responsible.

Mood swings are a bit more evened out and cramping is minimized

I understand others' reasons. Same could be said for pad -vs-tampn too.

it's personal issues, but good to see what others think and their reasons

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I'm on the pill and have been since I was 19 (personal reasons and medical) the personal is not sexual so please don't think that. It has helped me because I had cramps throughout the month and it was not fun at all. That middlesprigger or whatever its called. I'm more regular and balanced. In a way it has been a blessing.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  01:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I do know for a fact that NO medication is 100% safe no matter WHAT the drug companies say! I have worked on/off in the Medical field as an MA for 14yrs now and I have NEVER heard a drug company, or their representatives say their medications are NOT safe--- not even when the drugs are under investigation by the FDA for very bad "undocumented" side affects and too many "coincidental" deaths.

My first doctor (whom I worked with for 10yrs) was pulling his patients off of medications that have just been RECENTLY (within the last 5yrs) pulled from the market. (Celebrex was one and my doc took his patients off of it 11 or 12 YEARS ago!) He kept up with all the medical research and paid close attention to the statistics pertaining to each drug he prescribed. His first concern was his patients. Who knows how many lives he saved by taking those patients OFF the pills at the first HINT that something was wrong with them. Don't be fooled when the drug companies say their products are 100% safe. They will tell the public ANYTHING to keep the cash flow going.

My last doctor had a patient he was treating for severe depression and alcoholism. He did everything he could for the patient who responded VERY WELL to treatment. Once the patient had his life back under control he wanted to stop smoking so we got his insurance to agree to cover the drug "Chantix" -- the "stop smoking wonder gum" He took it for just a few months (if even THAT long) and "out of the blue" (according to his family) committed suicide. I was SHOCKED when I got the call! I had to tell my doctor what happened. If any of you had seen my doctors reaction to that, oh boy .... He coverd his face with his hands and groaned "He was doing so WELL!!! What HAPPENED?!!!" He was devastated. And we were all heartbroken. At the time, there was no DOCUMENTED side affect of "Suicide" for that drug. I saw the tv commercials for that drug recently and was not really surprised when they said it may "increase the risk of suicide." Unfortunatley, that warning came a little too late for our poor patient.

My take on medication of ANY kind is this-- listen to your OWN body. Don't take a pill just because you're TOLD it's safe. If you have ANY issues or concerns whatsoever-- no matter HOW SMALL they may seem-- talk to your doctor about it. If he/she won't listen, then FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR who WILL!!! you're not married to them! You don't have to stay with them, and for goodness sakes ladies! Don't stay just becaue they're NICE! (oh, how many times have I heard THAT?) Nice does NOT a good doctor make, nor does it save lives! I've worked with some VERY nice doctors-- but they were not GOOD doctors and I wouldn't go to them myself if they were the last doctor on earth!! I've also worked with some real jerks that--- if my life were at stake-- I would not HESITATE to call on for help. Though their bedside manner really stinks, they KNOW how to save lives! Do your homework, weigh the risks and decide for yourself what to do. Sorry I'm so windy, but I felt it was important to share these things with you all. Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  01:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and I HAVE taken birth control pills-- in my early 20's in between babies. While I don't recall any side affects with ONE type I took, there was another that was just HORRIBLE! I took it 3 months and the hormone levels were not balanced right for ME. I was taken off them VERY quickly and put back on the ones I had taken before.

I had my tubes tied almost 9yrs ago when son #3 was 4yrs old and, while I don't regret it, I DO have some serious issues from the surgery (hot flashes, heavy periods that last at least 7 days, pain etc...) Would I take the PILLS today? Use the patches or get and IUD? Not on my life!!!

As I've gotten older my allergies to medications have increased dramatically-- even my DENTIST cringes when he sees me walk into his office. I had a severe allergic reaction to one of the most commonly used dental anesthetics in his office a few years ago-- NOT FUN for anyone involved!! VERY scary in fact- so much so that I went to an allergy doctor for help, couldn't take ANY of the pills they tried me on, and ended up on "immunotherapy" --- two allergy shots every week for nearly 2yrs until the therapy started causing some serious reactions. The allergy doctors were baffeled and didn't know what to do with me either-- so, for me, no more meds-- it's especailly worse with OTC's! FREAKY! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile
We use the Natural Family Planning method as I'm not able to take oral contraceptives. It's a combination of taking your basal temperature and watching your body's signs. If you keep accurate records it is very, very effective. The upside no medical treatments.

The book I used as a reference is "A Cooperative Method of Natural Birth Control" by Margaret Nofziger. It's a short volume but very well written and easy to understand.

There are many references written on this subject.

I don't think it's really healthy to play with hormones for long periods of time, even if the drug companies insist that contraceptives are safe.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

Edited by - knittingmom on Dec 11 2008 12:32:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  12:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I had to use birth control, when I was old enough to get it myself as my mother wouldn't help me, because I literally became trapped in my home, not being able to leave for 2 days due to heavy HEAVY painful periods, even with OTC medicines to help. I had clotting the size of quarters and larger and I would go through a pad and tampon in an hour. Docs said is was normal??? and I decided to help reduce the severity. I also had just joined the military and you really can't call in sick- you have to go to medical first, get a note and most likely, they will only let you out of one day of work, or worse, imagine this happenning while deployed- not fun!!! It is a horrible thing we women have to endure just to be women. I worked out, changed my diet, did all the "right" things and nothing helped, except that dang pill. I have been off them for 4 years now and will not go back. I do want to get my tubes tied but fall under the too young umbrella. **SIGH** It is darn frustrating, to say the least. Darned if you do and darned if you don't!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  07:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Here's my two cents as informational only, really. I got pregnant through every form of birth control I ever used including the pill (the only one available at the time that I didn't use was an IUD). The only birth control that ever prevented a pregnancy when I wanted to prevent a pregnancy was NFP.

I ended up getting a tubal ligation which has also worked just so I could stop thinking about it. I don't really know the moral applications of that one except to say that Chinese medicine, yogic traditions, and Buddhist prana work within the subtle body is a little more difficult when you change physical channels.

For another 2 cents I can say that in Buddhism, consciousness is said to enter the "body" at the moment the 2 cells from man and woman meet.

I second Margaret Nofziger's book as the best on NFP. I met Margaret "back in the day" at the Farm in Tennessee. And the only real personal opinion I've ever held about birth control is that it simply doesn't work. And then there's the reality of the human body which is that we actually conceive many more times than we are aware of but more than half of those blastocysts never implant and are washed out of the body and we never know. A study of menstrual tissue and hormones over 10 years in the 70s/80s showed this.

I was a midwife and a childbirth educator and I have always been fascinated by reproduction and families. It's never a bad thing when women openly discuss what's available and what works to help them achieve their goals as mothers and wives and citizens - and also what's not working for them. Personal beliefs can be stated in a respectful way so we honor each others beliefs without stepping on toes as we discuss.

I really appreciate your discussions here.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  08:13:02 AM  Show Profile
I was placed on birth control pills at 15 because of a sporadic cycle (I was a ballerina and didn't have enough body fat to support a healthy cycle). The doctor advised me that I might not care about fertility at that time, but I would when I was older....

I continued on birth control pills until a small break in 2000, after my divorce. I really never had any side effects from them, but I will be quite honest, my libido REALLY suffered (and continued to do so). I adored that my cycles were 2 days max, and that I could get away with panty liners. When I stopped taking them, my cycle stayed very much the same.

When I met my (now) husband, I decided I should probably get back on them, because we were getting married, and I wanted to head off any chance of pregnancy. At the time, there were some new pills on the market, that were advertised as "low dose" and my doctor recommended one to me. I went from a size 2 to a 6 over a period of 3 months, and after a time, I told my husband I just didn't think it was the right pill for me...to which he replied, "Um, when you talk with the doc, will you ask her about a pill that makes you want to kill me less?" Apparently, my mood swings were LEGION, and I hadn't the slightest idea. I went through several different pills, but the libido issue still loomed, and I never lost the weight I gained. Didn't gain any more, just couldn't really lose the weight that I had gained.

We decided that we would try for a family this year, so I was advised when to stop taking my pill and that it would take a very long time for my body to essentially "come down". Um, long time, like 2 weeks? I was pregnant in two weeks, but here's the thing. Almost instantly after stopping the pill, I could actually FEEL again. I mean, feel sexy, want to be intimate. Before, I could have cared less. I was really happy with that, and well, you can imagine my husband felt similarly :)

We are both excited about the baby, but both somewhat mourn the fact that we were just starting to get our "groove" back when I conceived!!!

Now, after the baby is born, I am debating. I think I will probably not do the pill again...just simply because I really enjoyed those brief couple of weeks where I actually felt and enjoyed my sexuality again.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Such a conundrum isn't it? I never had any trouble getting pregnant either-- just LOOKING at my husband seemed to cause it!!! (LOL!!) Your baby is-- and WILL BE -- such a blessing. Yes, it will kind of put a "damper" on the romance, but not as bad as the pills did (and not until the child gets older). The BIGGEST problem is going to be what to do for birthcontrol later? Unless you want LOTS of kids, you wouldn't have to worry about that. Good luck hon. And Congratulations on the new little love soon to light up your world!!! ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Birth Control Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page