Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 how about another apron and cookbook ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic how about another apron and cookbook ... Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  05:18:57 AM  Show Profile
i've got so many vintage aprons and cookbooks! thought i'd do another december drawing .. and to make it fun .. when you submit your name .. in this topic 'thread' .. ALSO .. please tell us of a warm winter memory from sometime in your lifetime.

No particular amount of names needed .. no particular ending date .. before the 'drawing' is held ... it will just be a 'surprize' ending date sometime during december .. so hurry! hurry! tell us your story.

True Friends, Frannie

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I would love to be included. I wish I could remember a favorite winter memory! My memories of childhood winters are really more feelings - I remember loving how quiet everything is when we got snow. Going outside and listening to the quiet, playing and then coming inside where it was warm - so fun.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie! I was just reading all the entries from your last apron/cookbook drawing that I missed. Just my luck to find that you're offering another chance! Please include me!

One of my favorite winter memories is when we get a good snow here in Seattle. We don't get it often, but when we do the city just about shuts down! If we get a really good, fat snow everything is blanketed in white and our bustling city becomes soft and quiet. "Dead Man's Hill" in our neighborhood gets closed and the kids slide down it on whatever they can find. Our dogs love to romp in the white stuff and come in the house with snowballs between their toes! It brings back all my memories of growing up in Michigan winters!

Fondly,
Susan Kate
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  2:01:56 PM  Show Profile
julia .. did you live in an area that had a great 'hill' for sledding or tubing? i remember when our kids were little and we lived in evergreen, colorado .. there was a HUGE hill that ended at the lake (which froze over and lots of families came to skate and drink hot chocolate and socialize) .. this big hill was mostly used for 'tubing' .. which could be kinda' dangerous .. our local 'judge' also drove the ambulance .. and he often brought it to the bottom of the hill .. 'just in case'.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  2:06:57 PM  Show Profile
got your name in the basket miz susan kate (what a beautiful name .. i love that you combine them .. is your middle name Katherine .. or is it actually Kate?) Were your Michigan winters a LOT colder than your Seattle ones? When we lived in Colorado .. we had two Olde English Sheepdogs (named: Rugby and Nannie) .. and i swear .. they would come in from the snow with snowballs hanging from every strand of fur! We were remembering the other day about the time our daughter had a 'spaghetti party' ... she was about 6 and invited about 8 little girls for a winter picnic dinner (they were all lined up on the floor in the hallway from the door to the living room .. the door came busting wide open and in trounced to VERY wet, soggy, snow-clad sheepdogs .. and i swear .. they did NOT miss one spaghetti plate! Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  3:53:13 PM  Show Profile
You're a sweetie to do these little drawings, Frannie! You can put my name in.

A winter memory? I remember going for a ride alone, years ago, on my little dun mare. We had just had a snowstorm the in the night. I got up early one Sunday morning, and everything was cloudy and silent. I rode her down the farm lane between the fields, on back, back to the woods.

Every single tree, every branch, each twig, was outlined in white. It was like the world was suddenly spun of the finest lace. Everything was black and white except the brown and white flashes of deer, who would suddenly rise and crash through the woods. Everything was silent except the squeaking of the snow under my mare's feet, and her occasional puff of steamy breath. The snow was beautiful, unmarked on the floor of the woods, and we made a trail.

After a bit, the sun came out, and the lace looked irridescent blue and white. It was breathtaking, and only lasted a matter of minutes before the warmth of the sun began to dissolve the lace. I felt like I'd been to a concert, and the symphony had played for an audience of one--- me.

By the time I rode back home, it was mostly gone. So beautiful!

Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  3:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Please add me to the drawing!
Warm Winter memory??? Probably building "snow forts" in our Pennsylvania backyard. We'd build a fort and the kids next door would build one and then we'd have a great snowball battle! I wish we got enough snow here to do that with my kids...

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  8:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann .. what a lovely memory! i do so love seeing ice on the bare tree limbs in the wintertime .. it glistens like the world has turned into an ice sculpture. and i soooooooooooooooo admire anyone who has 'horse riding abilities'. the first (and pretty much the LAST time i rode a horse was at a 'dude ranch' .. (i was 16 yeas old) .. we were on a 'trail ride' .. the horse in front of the one in front of me kicked .. the horse in front of me reared up and threw the girl off (she broke BOTH arms) .. i think i screamed and wailed louder than she did .. they pulled me off of my horse and had ME walk the 'wild' horse and MY horse back to the barn! i got between them and started running while holding the reins .. they, of course, clippity-clopped after me at a fast pace .. by this time, i was off in the woods just me and the 'wild stallions' .. i screamed and threw the reins down and ran into the woods .. (the horses found their way back to the barn a lot faster than i did!) (luckily this was NOT wintertime!) .. again .. thanks for the beautiful story! frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile
sleepless reader ... where do you live in PA? we lived in maryland and would some years get enough snow to build igloos!
i remember with fondness, our childhood snowball battles too! frannie
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I would love to be entered!

As I kid, I loved snow days when school was cancelled. My siblings and I played board games and baked cookies. Oh, yes and shoveling the driveway, no snowblowers in those days!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  9:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh please add me!

Whimsy_girl
Bobbi

A warm winter memory I have is when I was a kid was when I was in CampFire. My mom was the troop leader and we would put oh santa hats and go sing Christmas carols to the elderly people in the nursing homes. They were always so happy to see us. First we would wander the halls singing for anyone who would listen, and then we would lead a sing-a-long in the little activity room they had there. As 1st and 2nd graders, we never saw the homes as negitive or depressing places, I think we were just to young to understand that it was anything more than a place full of people who really really liked seeing us.

I did something similar with my moms group this Halloween, we took the toddlers trick-or-treating through the nursing home, and once again the old folks just got such a thrill out of seeing all the cute little kids.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  06:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi .. your name is in the basket. I have found memories of taking our girls to nursing homes to visit and at christmastime, to sing carols to them. I learned early on .. that if we all live long enough .. someday, that will be us. And i've found a deep wisdom and peace in the eyes of some of the older folk .. and such sadness and lonliness in others.

We have a sweet home for the elderly in our little town of Greensburg, Kentucky .. and our garden club takes flowers to them each month .. and our homemaker's clubs rotate at visiting them and doing 'crafts' or just sitting and talking each month too. They have so much to share. Frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  10:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Add my name to the list. I love all the winter memories. Living in Idaho, I have lots of snow stories. When I was a kid, my uncle rode a big Appaloosa gelding, named, (are you ready?) Frosty. When we had all gotten tired of just sliding down the hill, and making snowmen, and sliding on the canal, he would saddle Frosty, tie his lariet rope to a flying saucer and scare us kids to death. He would pull us for a while to make sure we were hanging on, and then start spinning the horse in a circle, fast. A saucer on the end of a 40 foot rope, with a 60 pound kid on it, really does fly. It was thrilling and scary, and oh so much fun.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Please enter my name too! I LOVE vintage aprons and can always use a new cookbook! My fondest winter memory would be my first winter in Arkansas after moving out from Nevada where you never get snow, so to see my young boys playing in their first snow is special and I think about it with each snowfall.

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  12:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, how nice to have a small town that does things for the elderly, my mother is 85 and most all her friends are gone, she still lives by herself, but she has mentioned she gets very lonely at times now.
Went we were kids most of our close relatives didnt live very far so on week ends we all got together on the hill in back of my moms and dads place. late afternoon they would make a big fire to keep warm and slide down the hill on inner tubes, couldnt afford sleds then. It was so much fun, but I remeber if ya got cold, it was REALLY cold so off to the house they would take us.
I would love to be put into the drawing for the apron and book.
Thanks much
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile
That's a really good idea about the flowers Frannie.. perhaps I will try to incorperate something like that into my chapter once we get up and running.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  4:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Kristen .. board games .. nice memories ... When our girls were little .. "Monopoly" was played with a vengeance! (Honey Hunk almost ALWAYS won .. the man is gooooooooooood with money! The 'girls' used to pass money under the table to each other .. and when a BIG deal was about to 'go down' by the 'dad' .. i always reminded them: "I'm your mother!" ... i alwo liked 'scrabble' a lot! what were your childhood favorites?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Please add me to your drawing, too! Annie (anniet).

When I was little, my dad built a house out in the woods of southern Oregon. Since we were already living in the cabin, it was a really a race against winter to get the roof on. One night, with the roof half sheathed, it snowed! It wasn't that cold, but the next day daddy made me lots of hot chocolate while we built a snowman in our living room! He sheathed the other half of the roof in record time!!

Annie

Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
See what I have for sale: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Well the first one I think of is is building forts with my brother. We grow up in PA so we have a lot of winter memories. What I remember the most is after a whole day of playing out in the snow making forts (we were always so proud of our creations) coming inside and my Mom would draw us bath and the burning feeling you would get it your fingers and toes when you would climb into that hot bath. I'll never forget that feeling, it kind of hard a little.
Also I just thought of another, my brother and I along with some other nieghborhood friends used to go the cemetry near our house and go sleading. This cemetry had some really great hills one in particular called "Dead mans hill" (Grandmom hated it when we called it that) this is called this not just because it was located in a cemetry but because it was SO steap. As a kid it was always so scarey and exciting, it was liking you were risking your life to go down this hill and when you got to the bottom it was like you survived some great expedition. We had such great imaginations, it was so much fun.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Annie, it's so nice to you on Etsy. I so badly want to open an account with them. How do you like it far?

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Edited by - sqrl on Nov 29 2005 10:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  11:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

Please enter me, too! I have so many great memories, but the best is: When I was a single Mom in NY State, I would take one of my week vacations during Christmas break so that I could be home with my two beautiful daughters. After lunch, we would bundle up and go for long walks in the woods through the snow. When we got home, we would light a fire and have hot chocolate, popcorn, watch movies and cuddle. I am so happy for the good memories. Even though sometimes we didn't have much, we tried to create memories and traditions together.

Debbie
"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe

Edited by - blueroses on Nov 29 2005 11:51:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  6:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Debbie .. sweet memories. Did you ever get to Radio City Music Hall for their Christmas show? WOWZER!!!!!!!! it was sooooooo amazing .. only saw it once .. but the memories are a lifetime!

hot chocolate, popcrn, movies, cuddles, children .. what more could a woman ask for!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
gonna' do the drawing tomorrow (Thursday) .. so .. hurry hurry if you'd like to be in the drawing.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  6:43:18 PM  Show Profile
here's a picture of the apron and cookbook for this little game .. thanks for all your sweet wintertime stories .. drawing will be tomorrow.

chose a christmasy green and red apron piped in red .. and a 'better homes and gardens' cookbook from my collection.

hope you will find some good 'down home farm' recipes in it!

edit: hmmmmmmmm .. i think i've just discovered that if you DELETE your photo from photo-bucket .. it no longer will show up here in the forum .. soooooo .. don't delete it right after posting it.
True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 01 2005 04:41:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  8:07:12 PM  Show Profile
A wintery memory for a draw ticket? I'm in!

I loved going skating with my Dad and my younger sister. He'd tie our skates for us (often too tight!) and we'd go around and around the skating rink. They would play music over the loud speakers, but I was more interested in the sound the skates made as they sliced into the ice as I glided along. And afterward, we some times got treated to hot chocolate which would warm the fingers and burn the tongue. If we didn't get hot chocolate at the skating rink, my Mom would make us hot chocolate complete with milk scum. mmmm... hot chocolate.... - Cat
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  04:39:56 AM  Show Profile
oh my gosh cat .. that 'scum milk' just brought back a warm memory .. when we were kids .. we didn't think it was gross (but my girls did!) .. it was like 'cream on the top' .. and would sometimes stick to our upper lips like a milk-mustache! (GOT MILK?)

do you ever go ice skating now? i remember when ponds froze over and we'd all head there .. one of the very best 'new year's eves' we ever had was in the mountains of colorado when a bunch of friends and all our chilluns traveled to a remote lake and skated into the new year. thanks for sharing!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic how about another apron and cookbook ... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page