Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Horsey rider wanted info on my welcoming garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Horsey rider wanted info on my welcoming garden Next Topic  

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  10:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for asking Horseyrider! What a great name, by the way! I didn't think I was a 'naming' person until I realized that all the rooms in my house have names and each of my gardens have names: The welcoming garden. The blueberry patch. The morning garden. Namaah's garden ( this is my main herb and perennial garden). The sacred garden. The vegetable garden. The pool garden. The fairy garden.. You get the idea now.. The welcoming garden is a large garden that one is greeted with when first pulling into the driveway. It lines the driveway as well as the main road that goes in front of our house. (main road is a bit of misnomer..if there are 5 cars that drive by in a day we're having a traffic jam!) I have vegetable stand placed in front of the welcoming garden in the summer time. It is a garden that I like to call 'managed chaos'..and not managed very well I'll add!!!! When we bought the place 6 years ago, it was a huge sand pit..I spent nearly 3 years just amending the soil and have slowly added perennials that have really taken off. It is a crazy, colorful, chaotic mix of flower, herbs, strawberries etc.. I have a great talent for growing things but absolutely no skill whatsoever at planning and landscape design. None of my gardens are very orderly and tidy. They are a hodge-podge of all kinds of things!! Still, the welcoming garden is the introduction to the farm...its a bit of energy that I hope says, "welcome, stay while, leave your worries at the door!"
Hope that helps!! enjoy, Julia Hayes
By the way, the name of our farm is "No Worries"

being simple to simply be

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile
What a lovely idea! I really like the idea of having areas of the yard with names. Hopefully I can remember to do this in the spring!

I like the name of your farm, too! Pretty self-explanatory, eh? We call ours Freestyle Farm, because the horse world can be contentious and difficult, but I believe everyone should be free to do their own thing without being ridiculed. There are so many ways to enjoy a horse!

But now I have to ask: What are the names of your rooms in the house?
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:55:16 PM  Show Profile
hee hee this made me so happy!!
When we bought this house (built 1915) the previous owners had 10 children! yikes!! My husband and I moved here from Seattle and didn't have children yet... The previous owners were real do it yourselfers, especially the mom. Unfortunately her taste and mine are completely different so I began my new job of basically overhauling each room. the bedrooms had their own themes that were pretty self-explanatory when we first moved in. I've since changed most of them. For instance, my bedroom was called "the wave room". It had huge hand painted wavey scrolls all over the walls.. Long gone now..Its now the "big bed room."

My daughter's room was called "the Brad Pitt" room since when we moved in there was a HUGE poster of Brad Pitt on the wall. There are still lipstick kisses on the wall in the closet that I think are adorable. Someone had been practicing maybe even think of ol' Brad himself..too cute.. BUT I have since painted that room floor, walls and ceiling and it is now, "The Farm Room"..pretty self-explanatory..Her closet and the wall that its on is a huge barn..the closet door is the barn darn. Very sweet. My mom is a painter so everything she painted looks real. I, on the other hand, am not a painter/drawer, so everything I painted looks like a cartoon!

Our guest room is "the Fairy Room". It has an east facing window that overlooks the fairy garden and is decorated with fairies, and Goddess imagery. The most significant goddess being a black and white photograph of my mother playing the piano when she was 12 or 14 in a gown she made herself! This room has an energy that is really calm and peaceful..at least I think so!!

My son's room is "the Woodland Room". It is the only room I have not completely redone. One of his walls has that photograph wallpaper of woods..birch trees and a leaf covered ground. I haven't figured out what kind of room that will become. We'll see when he gets a little older. I just tore out the disgusting carpet in that room, so I'll be refinishing the old wood floor in there this Spring.. I prefer wood floors and throw rugs to wall-to-wall carpeting. I am just to immature and a pig-pen type for that. Throw rugs are much easier to care for!! I really like the idea of having "the woods" inside, so I may take out the wallpaper and paint the entire room a woodland scene. There's a perfect wall to paint and fashion a cabin..we'll see..

The rest of the house is pretty basic.. but this should give you an idea.. Its odd to write it all down.. Its been a process of the last 6 years that its been amazing to consider all that we've accomplished here. Thank you for allowing me to do this exercise. Its been really wonderful. Naturally, if you are ever in the area, you must come by and visit and have a walk around the Sacred garden, burn your worries in the fire pit there and leave with a fairy ritual!!

Life is so good! Blessings, Julia Hayes
ps I've heard that the horse world has its challenges... I'm so happy to hear that you are an out of the box thinker and enjoying your horses the way you and they want!! wonderfun (a term we use often here on the farm)

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  09:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for 'showing' me around your house! It sounds beautiful and comfortable, and full of life and love.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh-I agree with Mary Ann (Horseyrider)-it sounds so comfy and full of welcoming/good/loving energy and I love that you name your gardens and your rooms. Such wonderful inspiration for my garden and room planning.
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Horsey rider wanted info on my welcoming garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page