Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Farmgirl Gifts from the Kitchen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmgirl Gifts from the Kitchen Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  2:48:56 PM  Show Profile
well, girlfriends .. i roamed through 18 pages of 'kitchen' and didn't spy this topic before .. (coulda' missed it though!) but thought with the holidays upon us .. it would be fun to list our favorite recipes from our farm kitchens that we could package up and give as gifts. i love home-made, hand-did gifts from the heart.

I haven't tried this one .. but aim to make it for the 'men-folks' in my life!

BACKWOOD RICE
Dried fruits and nuts are common snacks in the woods .. here they are added to a seasoned rice mixture. Make sure you add a tag with the "recipe' for preparing this yummy sounding mix. (For a vegetarian dish, instant chicken-broth powder can be replaced with a vegetable broth powder.)

Makes four 1-1/3 cup jars

ingredients:
4 cups long-grain rice
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dark seedless or golden raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons instant chicken (or vegetable) broth powder
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.

recipe:
1. In large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Divide into four jars. Seal and label.

cooking directions:
in heavy 2-quart saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon butter over medium-low heat. Add 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped, and saute over medium heat until softened and just golden brown (2 to 5 minutes).
Add 1 jar of Backwoods Rice and stir to coat with oil.
Add 1-3/4 cups water.
Heat mixture to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low; cover with tight-fitting lid.
Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
Without uncovering, remove pot from heat and seet aside in warm area 10 minutes;
fluff rice with fork before serving.

This 'backpacker' .. or tent camper .. (or over your home stove) rice mix is so simple to create .. and so easy to prepare. Use your computer (or better yet .. hand-draw .. a 'personal' tag on one of those adhesive stickers and afix it to the jar.

Now .. what are your favorite recipes for 'Farmgirl Gifts from the Kitchen'?

It might be fun to 'swap' some of these gifts with each other!!!

True Friends, Frannie

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile
ooooohhhhhhhhh .. found 'nuther one that really makes you want to dive into it!

Cranberries and Walnuts in Sherry

This condiment can be used with meat or game, or as a garnish for ice cream, or as an accompaniment to a chees board. or if you are like me .. you'll just get a big 'ole kitchen spoon and dig in!

Makes Two Pint Jars
1 cup water
1 pound (approximately 4 coups)
fresh cranbeeries, washed and picked over for stems.
1-1/2 cups sugar
grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon \.
Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dry sherry

Prepare two pin jars, lids, and brands for processing.
Bring wtar to boiling; add cranberries and simmer until the skins pop open.
Add sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices and simmer together 15 minutes.
Remove from heat; add walnuts and sherry, stirring well to comibine.
Spoon into sel-sealing sterilized jars. Fill to within 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
Cool. Label jars and store in cool, drk dry place.

HA! to heck with the sterilizing and storing thingie .. soon's it comes offa' the stove and cools down enough not to singe your tongue outta' your mouth .. get yourself together a gallon of vanilla (or your favorite) ice cream .. one or two friends .. two or three big spoons and gobble it all down!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  3:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I like to give homemade gifts to my two wonderful girlfriends that also happen to be my neighbors! Can't get any better than that. Last year they got a breakfast basket with homemade bread, hm jam, some other stuff. This year I thought I'd keep it simple and bake them each a pie. Apple, I think, haven't decided yet. Also make potholders to go with it and put it in a basket or carrier of some kind? Any ideas what to put the pies it to take over warm? They both bake a little but know they will appreciate a homemade dessert. Baking is my forte so may as well go with what I know right? As opposed to doing some other craft that I stink at LOL!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  9:53:03 PM  Show Profile
The rice mix recipe sounds great I may have to try that one!!
The kids and I have a tradition since we moved here (the past 3 Christmases) we make cheeseballs and take a little flannel (Christmas print) bag with drawstring with the cheeseball in a cellaphane bag tied with raffia (I use lots of raffia) and a roll pack of ritz crackers to each family on our list..which gets longer each year) I think we did 25 last year..all the neighbors nearby, the kids teachers and sunday schoool teachers, close friends, family and just families that we think would enjoy it. I planned to do something different last year until my son who is 9 now wrote an essay that his teacher made sure I saw..about his favorite family tradition..He wrote that we made the best cheeseballs in the world and how fun it was to run to the doors with his brother and sisters and see everyone so happy to get something so good and he just knew we would do it forever...so I foresee at least 9more years until he is grown and won't mind maybe me making fudge..haha
this is the recipe we use...
Denise's cheeseball
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated jack cheese
1 8 oz block cream cheese
1/2 yellow or white onion, minced
1/2 small can chopped black olives
1 4 oz can diced green ortega chiles
mix up in a big bowl. ( I always make at least a triple batch) and shape into two
balls. You can roll it in chopped nuts if you want..I never do..chill for at least an hour before serving. Good with about any crackers.
I love to give pies too, Margret..I don't think many people bake pies anymore..they are always so stunned!! The potholders with them are a great idea.
One year years ago I made bread shaped like snowmen and delivered them on foil covered cardboard with a small jar of jam or honey butter..that was a big hit. I made a stocking cap for them from a cute new sock split up the back.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
In the past, I have made cappuccino mix with my class to give as gifts to their parents. This is a huge hit and takes no cooking( great if your class is 3)it is simple.
This year I am making a special bathtub basket. It will contain organic soaps from the soap maven, an embroidered washcloth, a scented candle and gift basket. i am making them for all the girls on my list( teachers, office co-workers, friends and relatives) I might add a small chocolate bar too, or maybe homemade fudge.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile
I love to make and get homemade goodies of all sorts! One of my favorite things to make and give are jams and jellies, fudge and cookies. Check out my herbalfarmstead blog for the recipe for Tea Jellies, it's a wonderful gift because it can be made with any tea of choice. Oh tea and coffee is tops on the list too. I'm hoping to get some ideas and recipes from here too, thanks for a good thread Frannie!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile
All of my holiday presents are homemade. But the ones coming from the kitchen this year are spiced peanuts, wasabi peanuts, Bee Briddle, this is DH's recipes it consists of sunflower seeds, shredded cocnut, seasame seed and honey it is baked in a thick layer on a baking sheet much like granola but you let it cool and then brake it up so you get big chuncks.
Back for a repeat this year since it was such a big hit last year is "cocoahuetes" which are peanuts coated in semi sweet chocolate with a hit of cayenne pepper a little salt. They are out of this world. We call them cocoahuetes because peanut in spanish is cacahuetes and well their covered in cocoa so they become cocoahuetes.
Other things this year are lip balm and may be some body creams but I did that last year so probably just lip balm.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melissa, care to share the recipes for the bee briddle and cocoahuetes with us, sounds yummy!! I love to try out new goodies for gift baskets, please........

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  4:55:16 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in your wasabi peanuts recipe! Something like wasabi peas? -Cat
Go to Top of Page

bluemoon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rose
Warrington PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile
I just tried this new recipe which would be great for a homemade gift. It's called
Cranberry Almond Choc. Bars w/Cranberry
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I used sliced didn't have slivered)
3 cups choc. morsel 12 oz. bag (I used ghiraldelli)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 tangerine zest
Preheat oven to 400
Line a 13x9 pan w/aluminum foil.
Lay out almond slices on baking sheet. Bake until light brown,shaking pan ocassionaly
to mix around.
Melt choc. in double boiler over over low heat. Mix in cranberries,almonds & tangerine zest. Pour in prepared pan. Smooh the choc. mixyute to an even layer. Cool to room temperature & than refrigerate until hard(1 hr). Use knife tp break up choc. into jagged varied size bars.
I used a little more cranberries and a whole tangerine for the zest. I love cranberries & orange flavor especially with choc.
If anyone tries it I would like to know if you liked it. I thought it was pretty good and would be an easy homemade gift.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Gonna try all the recipes!
I had such a great harvest from my garden this year that lots of jars of goodies will be given. But, although there are a lot of people to give to, only a select few get homemade stuff. Not because I'm cocky or stuck-up or think I'm all that great, but because it hurts my feelings when someone doesn't react positively to a homemade gift. I like giving things I've made to those that know however small in size or price, the gift they've received is from the heart.
I crocheted an afghan for my friend, Cristal. It cost me all of $10 for the yarn and about 10 hours of my time. It Blessed my heart so to see her eyes fill with tears. It wasn't something expensive or fancy, but it made her feel loved.
My daughters have made personalized soaps that I've added my crocheted rags to and the gifts have been a hit. Each soap depicts something unique about the person receiving it.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  5:24:36 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean..I have one relative (on my side..by marriage) who always sort of sneers and acts displeased with homemade gifts..she dosn't even try to hide it...and then there are others who are touched and love them..I won't waste all the time and love that goes into a homemade gift for someone who would rather have a walmart gift card..ugh!!
That takes all the fun out of it!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, glad to know I'm not alone. I also have a family member (hubby's side, mother!) that doesn't hide her displeasure, either. I wish she would like the things I give her. They're not cheesy or cheap looking. And I really do try to make her things that match her decor.
Today, I'll be seeing a friend that I've made several little goodies for. That should be a good time.
Good Day to All!
Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  05:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I make a rice very similar to that with a morroccan lamb stew. It was in Gourmet or BonAppetit a couple years back. I use beef instead of lamb most of the time. Here is the Stew recipe if someone wants it, to eat with the rice:

3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. blk. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
3 1/2 lbs. lamb or beef cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tblsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 tblsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/3 cups water
chopped apricots
2 lrg. blood oranges
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Mix salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice in bowl. Add Lamb and toss to coat. Heat oil in heavy lrg. pot. Working in batches, add lamb to pot and saute' until brown, about 4 minutes per batch. Return lamb to pot, add onion, garlic and ginger and saute' 5 minutes. Add 1 1/3 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, stir occasionally, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Grate peel from oranges. Cut off pith from oranges and discard. Coursely chop oranges. Add oranges and peel to lamb. Cover and simmer 20 minutes longer. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  06:23:31 AM  Show Profile
marianne .. that sounds really delicious! i've printed it out and will take it to ohio with us tomorrow and make it for the chilluns. i think i'll use beef too .. i just can't get 'mary's little lamb' outta' my head. (although, when we were in greece, we had LOTS of lamb dishes (and goat too!) and they were delicious! (guess that little lamb missed school after that trip!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmgirl Gifts from the Kitchen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page