True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  8:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls,
My name is Melissa. After much encouragement from my dh, I finally got up the nerve to join the sisterhood. My dh and I have been together since highschool. We have one daughter 12yrs and one son 9yrs. We live on a farm that has been in dh family for 150 years, at this point the only animals we have are a dog, 13 hens and a very handsome rooster. Hopefully we'll eventually get some other animals. I keep trying to talk dh into some goats but he's just not falling for it.
My new passion is embroidery, although I haven't done any since warm weather hit (it's just to hot to sit under a lamp). One of the girls at work showed me how to knit the square dishclothes. It is the first thing I have ever knitted, they are really quite fun to do.
I am very happy to be a member of the farmgirl sisterhood ! , and i can't wait to get to know all you wonderful girls . Take care, Melissa.

~Think happy thoughts~

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  9:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Melissa, Welcome. I love embroidery as well. I am new to it, but loving it. I am so glad that you found us... you will love it here I just know. R

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  9:28:07 PM  Show Profile
HI Melissa (one of my favorite names by the way!!) I love to embroider too. YOur place sounds perfect. I think chickens are the best place to start with animals. My husband didn't want goats for awhile when we got married..but he came around. Now I have a cow instead.
It will be fun to get to know you here...I am also very glad you found us!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  9:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa, welcome to the farmgirl club house =) I am trying to learn embroidery myself. I think you will love it here. So a BIG welcome!!!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  04:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa!
I am also a Pennsylvanian and I was wondering where Shinglehouse is? I've never heard of it. We are south...very close to the Maryland border. Welcome!!
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  05:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
Hey Melissa,
I have a riding student named Melissa, her best friends name is Lia, when they were younger, and when having my own stables was a mere dream. I told them if I ever have a mare that has a little filly, I would name her after them...well, last year I finally did, what an experience.....and so her name "Melia"
I too love embroidery, I will scan my sisterhood badge that I embroidered soon, I have it on my blog..
Pa is a great state...and welcome..

Claudia
Sisterhood #328
http://www.wolfpondstables.com
http://friendsofwolfpond.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  07:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for such a warm welcome, I was really nervous about posting my first comment (ever on-line). But you have all made it a wonderful expierence. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Misty, Shinglehouse is about five minutes from the New York border. We are two hours south of Buffalo, New York.
I think I will be very happy here. I finally have a whole bunch of girls to talk to that are interested in the same things I am. I think most of the girls at work think I'm off my rocker for having chickens and not wanting to go into town and spend money. Thank you all again for making me feel like I have found my way home. Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Hello Melissa, Welcome home! Looking forward to getting to know you. It is so good when we find a place that fits us and we recognize the kindred spirits there. I am glad you found us and come often...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile
HI, Melissa, welcome from another PA girl, I'm near Harrisburg, seems we are scattered all over! sounds like you are in NW PA, near what, Erie? My parents live in Marienville, in Forest County, that's where I was raised so I'm very familiar with NW PA. Hope you enjoy this group as much as I do!
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:03:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello from Gettysburg, PA!!!

Kim
Farmgirl #184
All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream....
http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Melissa, just looked on the map and see that shinglehouse is in Potter County - not near Erie at all! My husband was a game protector in Lycoming county and we have friends in Potter County. Actually, I think there is a gal here from Coudersport, too.
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Suzan,
Actually, we are just over the line in Mckean Co. but our address is Shinglehouse. A farmgirl right over in Coudersport ? Thats only a half hour away !
Kim,
Dh and were in Gettysburg at the beginning of August. We took a motorcycle trip down to York to see the Harley plant. Then the next day we went to Gettysburg, it was so hot and muggy we only wandered around for a little bit. We decided we would go back in the fall. Plus there are so many antique shops that I really need to be there in a car(so I have more room to bring back treasures);)
Oh darn, time to get ready for work. Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa,
What a blessing to live on land that has been in a family that long. We had pigmy goats, they love a friend so plan on getting two. I use to do x-stitch bookcover samples for "Vannesa-Ann" series author Jo Packham, (she has just released "Where Women Create" all about workspaces of creative women), but about 10 years ago I started embroidery because it lets you be more creative. I now make up my own patterns--I love how relaxing embroidery is. After some suggestions and encouragment from a few of the Farmgirls this summer I knitted my first dishcloths.
Your going to love it here.
KatyDo

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Melissa. This is the place to be because MJ has lots of cute embroidery ideas.
One of my great, greats, grandpa served in a PA regiment in the revolutionary war. I have a copy of his pension papers. Someday I'll get to that area.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  11:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Hello Melissa and Welcome!
Glad you have found this wonderful group of kindred spirits.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa. You are going to love this forum...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  12:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Melissa and it's very nice to meet you! I'm glad you joined the forum as this place is sooooo much fun! I love it here and I'm sure you will too.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile
A warm Southern welcome Melissa, from one of the Louisiana farmgirls. I feel your pain about the goats. I want some angoras, but my dh is adamant about not getting any. Oh, well. He's a great guy anyway, and I guess I'll keep him! Looking forward to getting to know you!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  07:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Melissa,

I am pretty new here too!! I love Pennsylvania and we visit there often. There are so many PA girls here. I would love to live in PA someday.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa from the Bluegrass State of Kentucky.
How long have you lived on your family farm? My dh and I bought his grandparents' farm back in 1970 and have lived here ever since. We have 3 daughters, but doubt that any of the 3 would want the farm (other than to sell it and spend the money!!!)
I like needle work. I do more in the winter than any other time.
I'm glad you have been enjoying this site. Hope to hear more from you.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Melissa. Welcome from Georgia!
That's great that the farm has stayed in the family. How many acres? You have got to get goats! They're so fun and the kids would love them. I've got 8 so far. I milk 5 of them. Got chickens, too. And a very handsome rooster, too, named Russell Crowe.Best rooster we've ever had.

So welcome again and have fun!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  04:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa,
Very familiar with PA. My husband grew up in Clarion county. We live in NJ so we are only minutes from Philly. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! The gals are very friendly and helpful.
I love to embroider. And the only thing I can knit is dishcloths...lol. I do love to crochet and sew. I hope you'll visit often and jump right into everything you find helpful here.
We have 14 hens and a rooster(whom I don't care for) but I think he's getting used to me. I have been around chickens all my life as my dad raised them for a living. 100's of them. Believe me when I got married having chickens did not appeal to me but I don't mind it with a small flock.
again welcome to the farm!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Kris, we have 175 acres, 1/4 is field and the rest is all beautiful woods. I keep asking about goats and dh keeps giving the same answer...no ! Maybe someday I'll get my way, he doesn't tell me no very often :) My roosters name is Wild Bill, he is an absolute love...when I pick him up he lays his head on my shoulder. He is looking kind of rough right now, he's molting and has lost his long fancy tail feathers.
Denise, I had always wanted to have chickens, and dh kept talling me as soon as we had our own land I could get some. We moved onto the land in late fall of 2004 and in the spring, as soon as we could we built a coop. The chicks arrived in May, and according to my father in law I have been the "crazy chicken lady" ever since, and loving every minute of it !

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Heritage Farmstead
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Brenda Lee
Pavilion NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Happy to have you here Melissa! I married my highschool sweetheart too nearly 17 yrs. ago. Our daughter is 8 and our son is 5. We both grew up farming and can't wait for our kids to grow up the same! I love to cross stitch along with gardening, sewing, quilting, crafting and my favorite hobby - antiquing! Hope you have as much fun as I've had here getting to know everyone!

Enjoy!
Brenda Lee
The Farmer's Wife

Keepin' my dreams alive!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  04:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Denise, Where in Clarion County - my husband and I are both from back there, me from Marienville in Forest County and he from New Bethlehem in Clarion County. I get so excited when someone actually knows where that area is....I find so few that are familiar with that area!!
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Brenda Lee, dh and I are going on 15 years of marriage and 18 years together total. We grew up not even a quarter of a mile apart, I could see his house from my back yard. He was such a mean brat when we were little...he would hit me when we were on the church bus. I really didn't like him back then! Its funny how things turn out, he means the world to me now, I think he hung moon just for me!! blush,blush,blush ;)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Pennsylvania Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page