Page: of 20

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Hi Frannie......just got back from the Post Office! Be expecting a little New Mexico "Sweets" and Recipes for the Gurfrenz Gathering......package should be there on Tuesday, October 7th.

Our NM International Balloon Fiesta starts this weekend and it is USUALLY starting to feel like Autumn this time of year!.... but,... Summer just doesn't seem to want to move out this year!!! Still pretty hot here today, however..... I have hopes that things will be cooling down very soon! Every year in conjunction with the Balloon Fiesta there is a BIG, wonderful Arts and Crafts fair with Artists from all over the country. ABSOLUTELY the Grandest of Artists bring their work! I Plan to take some photos of Balloon Fiesta and the Crafts Fair to share some of our New Mexico Finery!!! I do believe that October-December is when New Mexico is at it's BEST!

Tonight we are having a few friends over for Dinner and Debate Watching! Should be Really Interesting to watch!

Until Later,
xoxo
New Mexico Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Hey Frannie...is this your first art class or one of many? I have found myself all of the sudden into dance. I'm doing the belly dancing right now, but at the end of this class I am starting an African Tribal dance class. I never thought that it would be so excitin'...but I never thought about taking an art class...

Can't wait for you to post pics!

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  5:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Audrey .. what a sweetie pie! i'll try not to EAT THEM ALL before the gurlz arrive! Is that Hot Air Balloons? We saw a show in colorado when we lived there .. breath-taking!! it would be SUCH fun to go up in one .. i'd probably piddle my panties though! have you been up in one?

oh do "E-MAIL' me all about the debate and conversation afterwards! gonna' watch it tonight with honey hunk! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  5:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Sam i took one other course when i lived in maryland .. WELL .. i made it through about TWO classes .. when he turned a buncha' chairs upside down on a table and tried to teach me 'perspective' .. i ran screaming from the room and never went back! HA! out of a five day class .. i've only done '3 days' .. today .. i just piddled .. then went for a ride out to cathy cobblestones and visited glovers station! BUT .. what fun we did have afterwards .. i'll write all about it when i have a little moare time .. haf'ta make some din-din now!

i've discovered painting pictures of REAL stuff jus' ain't my THANG! i'm more of an 'illustrator' i think! i love the FANCY NANCY and Mary Engelbreit type art! xoxo

ohhh .. i did take some belly dancing lessons .. but didn't stick long with that either .. OH and TAP! what a scream! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Yes, Frannie .... they are Hot Air Balloons indeed! And the beauty in the sky is ABSOLUTELY breathe taking! After all the years I've lived here, it is still Totally Magnificant to me!!! We are truly lucky as we see them in the sky from our Master Bedroom (which is upstairs and has a big bay window)very early in the a.m. when they have Mass Assentions! For the next few weeks, they will be everywhere in the sky and it is a Glorious Sight! I will take photos to share with everyone, as I would so much enjoy having people understand the beauty of living in New Mexico.

Now have I ever been up in one?? Absolutely not!! We know several people who own Hot Air Balloons and the opportunity has been there.....but, I would be TERRIFIED!!! Ha! During the Festival if one would like, they do have tethered rides for people who just want to have the feel of what it is like! The Balloon is attached to a Very Long rope ........it is still not something I Dare to do!!!! I SOOOO enjoy the beauty of it all though!

Until Later,
xoxo
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile
WELL MIZ AUDREY .. ef'fen i come visit you ... we MUST be brave and do this TOGETHER! xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile
good afternoon gurlfrenz .. i'm playing 'hookey' from art class today! everyone from class is coming here for dinner tonight .. and i stayed home to make CHILI and CORNBREAD! (will take pics and send them along (with the recipes) soon. jus' hung a buncha' vintage aprons on the clothesline .. i LOVE vintage clothes on the line when visitors come!

well, i don't wanna' BURN that cornbread .. soooo .. i'm offa' here for now .. hope you are all having a wonderful day. it is GORGEOUS weather here in kentucky! xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  2:30:42 PM  Show Profile
I am still so sad that I cannot come next week. But I will be having a "Gurlz" weekend with my mother and two sisters so I will enjoy that. I do hope that we can plan a time to visit. With fall here dh is so excited about the leaves changing and I am sure it looks beautiful in Frannieville.

I think that if I ever took dh out there that I would have to leave him because you would NEVER get him out of your treehouse. That is his idea of sleeping heaven. I think he is part polar bear.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  3:03:49 PM  Show Profile
dear kathryn .. we shall gather soon .. soon's i get over my little 'operation-ette' .. i'll be wantin' visitors and to run the roads again. i think re-coup time is only about a week or less! (october 24 is my "O" date .. keep those prayers goin' heavenward!)

and DO plan on a 'camp-out' in the TREEHOUSE when you and honey-man visit! xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Oh Yes Frannie!!!.....going together would be such fun! I will go right up to the Hot Air Balloon with YOU ..... even be glad to help YOU get into the Gondola and will Enthusiastically Cheer YOU on!!!....But,.... I will be waving at ya from below and digging my feet in the sand!!!! Ha!

Off to meet my Hubby for some Mexican Food at one of our Fav Mexican food restaurants!

Until Later,
xoxo
New Mexico Audrey

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Shamey, shamey...you art class skipper!

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  05:51:02 AM  Show Profile
oh sam .. i have always been a big supporter of 'hookey day' .. i always allowed my gurlz to choose one day a schoolyear to play 'hookey' and do whatever they chose to do that day. they remember and smile. (we usually went on so fun day-trip together on these days). YESTERDAY .. i spent the entire day 'cookin' .. and absolutely RUINED my reputation for being a 'lousy cook'. Had a wonderfully delightful time last night with the gurlz from class and SWORE them to secrecy that every now and then i can actually accomplish a meal without BURNING EVERYTHING! i'll be posting some pics and writing of our time together .. HA! and i'll even be brave enuff to post some pics of 'my paintings'! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  06:08:28 AM  Show Profile
well, with art class finished now .. my attention turns to our fun Gurlfren Gathering! i'm pretty much ready .. jus' a few little 'finishin' touches here and there! can hardly wait to see olde friends and meet new ones. xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  07:09:41 AM  Show Profile
oh gosh! i jus' remembered! TODAY is the Janice Holt Giles festival at her log cabin in Knifley! ohhhhh .. i think i'll head that way .. i love going to this each year .. what with her being my very mos' fav Kentucky Author! and what a lovely day it is to roam the back roads of kentucky too!!! will take pics and post 'em when we get back home! xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  4:03:18 PM  Show Profile
got back home from my fun day! on my way there, i thought it would be fun to swing by and see if precious friends, bill and marylou would like to join me (i had forgotten that the honey-man had plans to go BIKE RIDING on his new bike today!) marylou just turned EIGHTY .. she celebrated by fulfillng a promise to 'SLIDE DOWN THE STAIR RAILING' in their wonderful olde home they are restoring!

Bill and Marylou both grew up in Greensburg, Kentucky .. knew each other but were not 'loves' at the time. (Bill is about ten years older than Marylou). They both ventured off in life and love .. falling passionately in love when they met later in life while living in Louisville. A move to Florida .. and a few other chapters in their life .. eventually led them back to their 'beginnings' here in Greensburg! They are honestly one of the most 'young at heart' people i have ever met! Full of life and love and adventure and talent and joy!!! They are completely remodelling a HUGE olde historic home in town (photo above).

Here are the 'lovebirds':

and a closer up ... of his 'lordship' and his lady!

aren't they DARLING!

and Marylou makes the most beautiful JEWELRY i have ever seen! (i have three pieces she made and have on order TWO more!) i'll post pics soon! She has gorgeous jewelry and someday soon i am going to go to her home to photograph it .. it is all for 'sale' .. you might find a special piece you would like for your own!

AND .. she is going to start giving classes soon too! (i have already signed up to be one of her very first students!)

well, i was delighted to be treated to running my fingers through all her necklaces, bracelets and earrings she has made! Then we went around the corner to their just renovated SLAVE QUARTERS in their olde home. (i thought i didn't have my camera with me .. and only discovered it half-way to the Janice Holt Giles log cabins!)

We stopped at the Country Club for a yummy lunch .. then took several wrong turns to KNIFLEY .. but we didn't mind at all . .the back roads with all the beautiful turning leaves and farms was eye candy on this lovely day!

We did indeed find our way to the Holt cabins ...

met new and olde frends .. drooled over all her books .. and just enjoyed a lovely, lovely day with dear friends!

Stopped for dinner on the way home. Hugged farewell until we meet again.

Honey Hunk was out in the woods running with the 'dawgs' when i got home .. soo .. i roamed down to The TREEHOUSE.. read a couple inspiring chapters from THE SECRET .. then ran upstairs to share my day with ya'll ya-ya's!

MY MAN jus' returned from the woods .. sooo .. i'm offa' here for now!

Have a Sumptuous Sunday gurlfrenz! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Janice Holt Giles
Books by Janice Holt Giles

Janice Holt Giles was born on March 28, 1909, in Altus, Arkansas, at the home of her maternal grandparents. Soon her mother, Lucy Elizabeth McGraw Holt, joined her father, John Albert Holt, who was teaching Choctaw children in what is now Oklahoma. In 1917, the Holt's moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where Janice graduated from high school and, in 1927, married Otto Moore. The next year a daughter, Libby, was born. The Moore's were divorced in 1939, and Janice and Libby moved to Frankfort and then Louisville, Kentucky, where Giles continued to work as she had in Arkansas as a secretary to church congregations, associations and seminaries.

In 1943, Janice met Henry Giles when he boarded her bus dressed in his Army uniform. They shared a seat on a trip that took him to a Texas Army base and her back home to Arkansas and began a spirited correspondence. The next year Libby married a G. I., named Nash Hancock, and in 1945 Janice and Henry Giles were wed. In 1949 the Giles' moved to a forty acre farm on the Green River in the hills of Adair County, Kentucky, on land first settled by a Giles ancestor in 1804 on a Revolutionary War Grant. It was here that she began her literary career with a trilogy of novels about life in the hills which remain to this day among her most popular works. While many others wrote of desperate mountain communities saved by outsiders, Giles wrote in The Enduring Hills, Miss Willie, and Tara's Healing of desperate outsiders who moved into mountain communities to "do good," but found that the strong hill folk could help them to get their own lives together! No wonder these books are so popular among native mountaineers! When Janice Holt Giles' husband became a little sensitive to the literary fame of his wife, she responded by working with him on a novel, Harbin's Ridge, which was initially published under his name alone. Janice Holt Giles' power as a historical novelist was clearly established by Hannah Fowler, the story of a strong pioneer woman, and The Believers, a novel of the Shaker religious community which presents a touching portrait of a woman oppressed by religious fanaticism.

When the Army Corps of Engineers dammed up the Green River, the Giles' were forced to rebuild, completing their new home in 1958. Almost all Giles books before were set in the Kentucky hills. After this move, Janice Holt Giles devoted most of her energy to writing about the West and to autobiographical writing. Here she produced six very popular Western novels, including three adopted by book clubs, Johnny Osage, Savanna, and Voyage to Santa Fe. Janice Holt Giles died at the home she described re-building in A Little Better Than Plumb on June 1, 1979 at the age of 70.

Janice Holt Giles was a farm wife whose avocation was writing. This gave her a true feeling for what life was really like for hill people, yet it probably also kept her from receiving the academic attention she deserves. Her much-loved non-fiction personal experience books, her trilogy of books which examine the hill country culture, and especially her historical novels of both the early and later West all are based on thorough scholarship. Her books deal with universal themes and display a deep and broad spectrum of thought and insight. They retain a devoted audience today and deserve more critical attention.

A Janice Holt Giles Bibliography

The Enduring Hills by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Westminister Press, 1950. 256-pages.
Giles' first novel , the story of a mountain boy who must come home. **Click here to order**

Miss Willie by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Westminister Press, 1951. 268-pages.
A novel of a woman that comes to the hills to teach and finds that she has even more to learn from the Kentucky hill community where she settles. This is a perennial favorite with Kentucky and Appalachian readers who love to see the "locals" come across as wiser than the outside "do-gooder." **Click here to order**

Tara's Healing by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Westminister, 1951. 253 pages.
The third in this trilogy, Giles’ third book centers on another professional, a doctor, who also finds he has more to receive than to give in caring for the simple folks of the Kentucky hills. **Click here to order**

Harbin's Ridge by Janice and Henry Giles. New York: Westminister, 1951.
This novel was first published under Henry's name and then reissued with Janice and Henry as co-authors. Commentators recount that Henry demanded that she stop writing, but ,when she let him on her glory train by making him as author as well, he relented. **Click here to order**

Forty Acres and No Mule by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Westminister, 1952. 215-pages.
A non-fiction account of the Giles' move to the country this has remained one of Giles’ most requested and enjoyed books. It is loved by both those who have actually moved to the country and those who have only dreamed of doing so. **Click here to order**

The Kentuckians by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1953. 272-pages.
A novel of frontier Kentucky, this was Giles’ very first historical novel. **Click here to order**

Hill Man by John Garth (pseudonym for Janice Holt Giles).
New York: Pyramid Books, 1954.
Giles' only book issued with a pen name--John Garth. **Click here to order**

The Plum Thicket by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1954. 284-pages.
A novel set out West following the pioneer days. **Click here to order**

Hannah Fowler by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1956. 312-pages.
Another of Giles’ most-loved books this is a novel of a strong Kentucky pioneer woman whose exciting adventures include being captured by Indians. **Click here to order**

The Believers by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1957. 302 pages.
This is a novel about the Shakers who settled in Kentucky. It illuminates the problems of religious fanaticism, particularly what a pain it is for a woman to be married to a religious fanatic. **Click here to order**

The Land Beyond the Mountains by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1958. 308 pages.
This is a novel of a family's westward trek. **Click here to order**

Johnny Osage by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1960. 313 pages.
A novel depicting the complicated relationships between Indians and Whites. Set in the Arkansas/Oklahoma country where Giles was born and raised. **Click here to order**

Savanna by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1961. 397 pages.
Another novel, featuring a strong woman, this one set in the West. **Click here to order**

Voyage to Santa Fe by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1962.
Another novel of a westward trek. **Click here to order**

A Little Better than Plumb by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1963. 265 pages.
This is a non-fiction account of the Giles' experience moving their home to make way for a Corps of Engineers Reservoir. Legions of readers found themselves sympathizing with the plight of the Giles’ and admiring their sense of humor and resourcefulness. **Click here to order**

Run Me a River by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1964. 337 pages.
This Civil War novel is set on Kentucky's Green River many miles downstream from the Giles' farm near Mamouth Cave. **Click here to order**

The G.I. Journal of Sgt. Giles by Henry and Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1965. 399-pages.
Janice and Henry met on a long bus trip when Henry was a World War II soldier. Their friendship was cemented by correspondence. Henry’s letters, which Janice kept, formed the basis for this non-fiction book about World War II. **Click here to order**

The Great Adventure by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1966. 370 pages.
Another historical novel of the Old West. **Click here to order**

Shady Grove by Janice Holt Giles. New York, Houghton-Mifflin, 1967. 260-
pages.
Giles' funniest and most requested novel, set in the hill country. **Click here to order**

Six-Horse Hitch by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1968.
436 pages .
Giles' last historical novel of the West. **Click here to order**

The Damned Engineers by Janice Hot Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1970.
A non-fiction critique of the world-wide policies and actions of the Army
Corps of Engineers, the agency that caused the Giles’ to have to move from their
beloved log cabin to make way for an Army Corp lake. **Click here to order**

Around Our House by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1971. 358 pages.
A collection of newspaper columns about life in rural Adair County, Kentucky. **Click here to order**

The Kinta Years by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1973. 337 pages.
This is an autobiographical book of the time Janice Holt Giles spent living in Kinta, Oklahoma, as a small girl. **Click here to order**

Wellspring by Janice Holt Giles. New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 1975. 262 pages.
Giles' last book, an eclectic gathering of non-fiction essays. **Click here to order**

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  5:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I play hookey with my girls as well! We all need a day off every once in a while. I for one am looking forward to seeing you art. BTW all art is real art! You have a great Sunday as well, and please keep us entertained with you stories!

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!

Edited by - whiteraven on Oct 04 2008 5:17:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  6:14:36 PM  Show Profile
thanks sweet christa! i adore that you like my stories!!! it's such fun 'journaling' my days and my adventures .. i've got to print all these out someday .. for my kids and grandes!!

jus' started tackling my 'pantry' .. oh my gosh! there is food in there from the year TEN B.C.!!! and kitchen appliances that i haven't used in YEARS! olde food .. in the TRASH .. appliances .. to GOOD WILL!

i swanee .. i'm only going to buy what we are going to eat THAT WEEK from now on!!!

gonna' try to upload some of those art class pictures now!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile
TO SEE PICTURES ... E-MAIL ME! TOO MANY TO PUT ONTO PHOTO BUCKET AND COPY HERE. XOXO

our Green County Arts Council visited the Mellwood Arts Center in Louisville .. and we discovered
watercolorist extraordinaire Jim Mahane! We asked if he would come to Greensburg to teach a week-long
art course to us. He accepted .. and this past week we had classes in our beautiful olde historic train DEPOT!
(see the new AND olde graffiti on the dock wall! And those are jim's fabulous paintings in the background.

jim i s a quiet spoken man .. and he sure had his hands full this week
with us 'wild-child' group of women!

The first day we all painted 'apples and a bucket' .. and i must admit ..
i think jim was ready to hand me a box of CRAYONS by week's end!

the second day .. we did this beautiful olde farmhouse from Shaker Village.

it was interesting to 'tape off certain parts of our painting before we did our backgrounds.

Sweet Peggy Jones on the left and new friend, Linda Puckett who bought
our gorgeous historic ACADEMY .. where Abraham Lincoln's teacher
MENTOR GRAHAM taught!!!

Sweet mimi lookin' all INTO her painting!

Frances in the 'painterly' jacket .. then Diane in the white shirt
and that's our Finola in the striped 'hoodie'.

i love the 'intense' looks on the gurlz faces!
on the left .. and our town 'wonder woman' .. Judy Weatherholt
who is our Mayor's RIGHT and LEFT hands woman!

i think this lovely be-jeweled arm belongs to precious Marylou!!

sky and fence and grass finished.

i loved how we all did the SAME picture .. but they all had our unique
style!

our first CASUALTY .. miz peggy cut her thumb with her X-ACTO knife!!
jus' wiped it off and kept on paintin'!

there's that x-acto knife in progress!

another one to share with you!

the 'masking off' process .. ONLY use 'drafting tape' for this .. NEVER
'manly-man' masking tape!

i think this white shirt means it's diane's painting!

love the billowy-ness of this one .. looks like a storm's a-brewing!

we all discovered that 'water coloring' is NOT as 'forgiving' as oils and acrylics!

another really different sky .. OHHHH .. this one is MINE!
i didn't even attempt to do that FENCE! i made my 'roof' too small!

'the gurlz' all around jim .. listenin' carefully! looks like mimi is sayin:
I JUS' DON'T GET IT! but TRUST ME .. she DID! her paintings were
WONDERFUL!

Jim is showing us how to do those 'rocks' that i wasn't willing to even TRY!
Actually, the painting had a 'winter feel' to it .. and i wanted a more spring or autumn look.

o.k. .. .i crapped up on that teensy dark roof! even though it is very hard to
paint over that layer of gold .. i'm gonna' try to make the roof LARGER .. and maybe even RED!

isn't this one MARVELOUS!! not sure who's it is!

i just loved watching as all these pictures 'came to life'!

sometimes .. i stood here and there and took the pics .. that's why they are
sometimes upside down or sideways!

cute diane with her wonderful picture .. looks like 'snow' is on it's way!

close up of diane's painting! she did GREAT ROCKS too!!!!

isn't this one DEVINE! looks a little 'folk-arty' to me .. MY FAV style!

the girls 'showin' and tellin'!!!!

t'other side of the room!

i think this is 'finola's ... another great sky . and love her 'landscape too!

frances is reeeeeeeely goooooooood at this art thing!

there's miz finola's paintin'!

and judy's!!

it was a delight meeting and getting to know sweet carol too!

dear little helen clark half-hidden behind her picture!

my seat-make Becky .. GOSH .. she was soooooooo GOOOOOOD!
if i weren't a really self-confident person .. i would have run screaming
from the room with all the talent surrounding me. AND .. i did indeed
love my paintings no matter what they came out looking like.
"My Momma .. She Say: Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder"

Now .. i gotta' admit .. WATER COLOR isn't my mos' fav 'medium' of art ..
but i do see where it could be fun if i'd mayhaps stick with it .. and i had such
a wonderful time with these 'wonder women' all week!

here's my little sweetie pie ... mary lou lingle! now .. marylou is a fabulous artist .. in
water/oil/acrylic and HOUSE paint! there is nothing this woman cannot do! she is
one of my life 'heroines'!

Patsy Kay started out saying she couldn't paint! oh my! did she ever surprize herself!
every day her paintings were incredibly wonderful! jus' wait t'il i post a photo of a 'child' she did!!!

well .. gurlfrenz .. this was DAY ONE of our fun WATER COLOR CLASS!

it jus' got better and better with each passing day.

We had our lunches 'brought in' .. every day was scrum-dillie-icious!
i think the first day we had BAKER BOYS bar-b-que!!!

keep watchin' .. cuz' i'll regale you with stories and pictures of every day! xoxo

P. K. Paxton, Diane Hall, Fanola Upton, Frances Durrett, Helen Clark, Judy Weatherholt, Mimi Moore, Frannie Meshorer, Christine Arsenault, Linda Puckett, Carol Fergerson, Rebecca Curry, Mary Lou Lingle, & Peggy Jones

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  7:41:22 PM  Show Profile
well now! actually THIS was our FIRST day .. how do i know? cuz' it was peggy and christine's BIRTHDAY!

jim and cutie-pie linda!

diane and finola

marylous and christine

miz peggy

THIS was our first painting .. apples and a wooden bucket!

in process!!

here we are .. all gathered around again!

jim is GREAT!!! he makes it all look sooooooo EASY!!!

we had a photo that had 'grids' .. then we enlarged it onto our paper!
we used really expensive paper .. jim told us not to 'scrinch' (i think mayhaps SCRINCH
is MY word!) or our paper or paints. you can get by with cheaper brushes though.

gosh .. we learned so many art 'terms' ... i can't remember them all!

a few of jim's paintings!!!

patsy kay and linda and peggy all lined up doin' that
PAINE'S GREY background! we used almost a whole tube of
that color during the week!

everyone gittin' into it!!

love mimi's TONGUE in this one! now THAT's 'concentration'!!

helen .. adding a dabble of ... ohhhh ... sumpthin' brown .. but it looks barn RED!

looks like diane dropped sumpthin'! finola sure looks pleased!

diane puts a dab of this and a dab of that! we learned all about combining colors!

frances starts on her 'apples'!

judy toooo!

carol puts just the right touches on her 'bucket'!

becky was a FAST painter in addition to be really good!

christine dabbles in 'paines' GREY'!!

marylou always had a marvelous painting by class end! she often
painted the to tune of her own drummer!

(the first e-mail i sent was actually DAY TWO!)

gosh .. they were all so wonderful and jus' ran together! i sooo looked forward
to each morning!

i adored bringing in little surprizes for everyone every day! xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
DAY THREE .. and we learned 'reflections' .. (well SOME of the gurlz did anyhoo!)

the girls did surprize me by putting everyone's art up on the wall .. and
it actually took me awhile to figure out WHICH one was mine! soooo .. i figgered
i wasn't ALL bad! not sure who's this one is.

jim showing us where to put 'reflections'

this dang boat was the hardest to paint all week! OH .. i think this one was mine ..
i chose not to mess with the 'oar' holder thingie! .. it's not finished here though.
HA! on REFLECTION .. looks like a kindergartener did it!

not sure who's these are .. i know they were not mine though!

still not mine!

we taped the boat before painting our background water and reflections

ANOTHER WONDERFULLY FUN DAY!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile
i reeeeeeeely thought this would be my least fav day!
i didn't want to paint a 'stranger' .. so i brought in an OLDE
photo of 'moi' .. wanted to paint it for honey-hunk .. had the
dangest time getting it on paper with that 'graph-blockie' thang ..
so i 'free-handed' it .. but jim went over it and god love him .. he
jus' didn't KNOW me .. he scribbled over it .. cutting my wild-child
very long hair to shoulder length in a 'controlled (i.e. COMBED) hair 'style'!
then he also didn't get my eyes and lips .. and i just could no longer see ME
in the picture .. and couldn't even .. take the first brush stroke .. sooo .. when the
goin' gets TOUGH .. the 'tough' goes SHOPPIN'!!!

well .. let's take the day as it went along.

that incredible artis marylou decided she wanted to do another olde building
instead of a 'person' too!

the faces all came out BEAUTIFUL! .. loved the 'penny
over the eye for size .. done by linda.
see the photo of the child .. now watch how everyone interpeted
this picture for themselves! AMAZING!
and REMEMBER .. some of these women have NEVER painted before!

i loved the 'shading' in the faces.

jim has just demonstrated 'shading' ... and all the gurlz
got down to 'biznezz'!!

this process was fascinating to watch!

mimi and a few other gurlz chose to do a little amish boy

again .. look how parts of the picture were 'taped off'

oh lordy! i had gone to BIG LOTS the night before .. and
just almost peed my underoos when i discovered this
PAINT BY NUMBER picture .. it even included a bucket and APPLES!
i got it for a 'drawing' .. Patsy Kay won it. i was laffin' at her laffin' and
the camera jiggled!

isn't this FABULOUS!!!!

my seat-mate, Becky did the wonderful Amish Boy!

i conjured up a fruit salad and croissants to share at lunch today.
it was kinda' yummy ... apples (red and green) grapes/mandarin oranges ..
pineapple ... peaches .. bananas .. walnuts and vanilla yogurt!

mimi being interviewed by our newspaper ... he asked us all
what we thought of our classes .. i told him that the ART CLASS
was the cake (and a delicious one at that) .. but the ICING on the cake
was the friendship, fun, comarderie and gurlfrenz getting together to create.

i loved how we all jus' sat down in the parking lot for lunch this day!
I brought my 'boom box' for 'relaxing painting music while we painted .. and
MAMA MIA at lunchtime!

o.k.! o.k.! since i wasn't gittin' anywhere with my 'face' painting .. i decided to
take a quick run after lunch down to Cathy Cobblestones! Her son Cason has a
PRECIOUS new puppy (Snowball)! he got it for his birthday and was so delightfully
surprized! (i jus' love Cathy!!) you can see more pictures of him on her 'blog':

isn't he ADORABLE .. makes you want one!

OH .. and i got more 'fleurs' at cathy's too!

after another quick stop at Glovers' Station antiques mall
to say hey to the gurlz .. i went back to class!

the girls mostly all bought 'white paintin' coats and
had everyone 'autograph' them!

be prepared to be DAZZLED!!!!

linda' red-headed child! gorgeous!

and i ADORED patsy' kay's more 'primitive farm child'!!!!!

look at those beautiful eyes and lips!

pensive beautiful child!

another amish boy!

OH .. and girls after class .. what a DELIGHTFUL time we did have!
we visited Mimi and Sam Moore's wonderful hotel that is being renovated.
my dang camera battery died while there .. so i could only take a coupla' pictures ..
will revisit and take more to show you! this is going to be the best thing ever to happen to our town!

THEN .. we walked over to OUR new 'arts center' to be!!! what grande plans we do have!

THEN .. sweet Linda Puckett invited us all back to her GLORIOUS new OLDE home .. The Academy .. remember .. earlier .. i told you that Abraham Lincoln's teacher (when he was an adult in Illinois) Mentor Graham both lived and taught in this very home when it was a school. Linda and her husband have made it truly grande and glorious!!! I can hardly wait for when the move here permanently. They live in Texas right now.

Mentor Graham (1800-1886)
Mentor Graham was born near Greensburg, Kentucky. He attended a one room school when he was very young and in 1812 enrolled in his uncle's Bush Creek Academy. After a few years Graham was employed as headmaster of Greensburg School. In 1825 Graham moved north to Illinois. Graham is credited with giving Abraham Lincoln whatever higher education he received, including surveying.

===========

Green County, Kentucky

William Herndon, Abraham Lincoln’s law partner, friend, and biographer, was born in Green County and his birthplace in Greensburg still stands. Lincoln’s teacher, Mentor Graham, was also from Green County. Graham taught classes at Greensburg Academy, which Mary Owens, who was romantically linked to Lincoln, attended. Mary was the daughter of well-to-do Green County landowner Nathaniel Owens. Mary Owens and Lincoln had an on again, off again romance that ended in 1837.

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  7:45:42 PM  Show Profile
REMEMBER GURLFRENZ ... to see the photos that go with the above 'stories' .. jus' E-MAIL me .. with your NAME and E-Mail addy in the body of your e-mail to me. xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  8:19:14 PM  Show Profile
i played 'hookey' from class today .. cuz' the class is comin' to supper!

used one of my two FAV cookbooks (both MARLBORO cookbooks!) to make
'cowgirl vittles' ... made a 'killer chili' ... a yummy egg/crumbled potato chips/green chilis'/cheese bake .. and a 'tart salad' and jalapeno cornbread (i cheated and BOUGHT 'cheese cake' for dessert! linda brought wine .. cheese and crackers ... . and a coupla' gurlz brought more cornbread!

They all threatened to tell that i 'reeeely CAN cook' .. ha! i do it so seldom . .i don't think it counts!

i probably have at least a THOUSAND cookbooks .. but this one is my fav!

jalopena cheese corn muffins .. (i forgot to take pics of the other dishes!!!)

set the table for 'autumn'!!

after showin' the cabins .. and walkin' everyone down to my
beloved TREE HOUSE .. we ambled back up and had supper on
the 'back porch' .. the whole table was filled with friends and laughter!

set a birdhouse on some hay bales.

planted some mums and ornamental cabbages
(got these from Cobblestone yesterday!) in our
olde tin cowboy bathtub!

hung pretty vintage aprons on the clothesline.

what a perfect ending to a perfect art class!

xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile
cleanin' kitchen pantry and runnin' outside from time to time to jus' enjoy the beautiful weather! excited to be getting 'rails' around the treehouse tomorrow to keep anyone from 'fallin' off the deep end!

also re-reading my book the SECRET .. am LOVING it! here's a few excerpts from it i wanted to share:

Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls." JOSEPH CAMPBELL

"When you follow your bliss .. you live in a constant space of joy. You 0open yourself to the abundance of the Universe. your'e excited to shre you life with those you love, and your excitement, you passion, your bliss become contagious."

Enjoy life, because life is phenomenal! It's a magnificent trip!

"This time on our glorious planet is the most exciting time in history. We are going to see and experience the impossible becoming possible, in every field of human endeavor and on every subject. As we let go of all thougts of limitation, and KNOW that we are unlimited, we will experience the limitless magnificence of human-kind, expressed through sport, health, art, technology, science, and every single filed of creation."

The secret is the answer to all that has been, all that is, and all that weill ever be." RALPH WALDO EMERSON

HAVE A HAPPY FUN-FILLED DAY GURLFRENZ! .. EVEN IF WE ARE CLEANING PANTRIES AND CLOSETS! XOXO

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frannieville, Kentucky Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page