Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hard Times Next Topic  

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  5:54:42 PM  Show Profile
What have you done during these hard times to get through?

I learned how to make bread and laundry detergent. I have also revised my budget so I can save some money and stock up our pantry a bit as well.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We are really cracking down on paying off our debt so that if/when we need credit (buying a house) we will be able to.

We are purchasing almost 100% from Costco right now as it is so much cheaper and we can still get some organics for the same price as conventional.

We make bread and laundry detergent as well as our own soap and cleaning products. We have cut out the little junk food and eating out that we used to do and are using any extra money that comes our way through financial aid to stock up the pantry.

We also still keep our driving to the minimum and when a gift giving opportunity rolls around I make sure to think first about what homemade thing I can give instead of what I could buy.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:05:52 PM  Show Profile
We have learned to pray hard and stick together as a family. We always knew how to pray, but I think when time gets rough, I've learn to get serious with God and learn to claim His promises in a mighty way. I'm of the firm belief that the family that sticks together can get through anything.:O)
I've also learned to find other resources to meet our needs rather than just buy buy buy all the time. I am an otherwise bad shopaholic with impulse buying tendency.
Hard times have been a good eye opener to see what a waster Ive been and how I should learn to be a better steward with my time and money. :O)
hugs!
jessie

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:24:53 PM  Show Profile
When we save on something it helps to put the original cost difference in a jug that we put all our loose change into. Amazing how quickly that change jar fills up. Making gifts & cards not purchasing them and trying to stick to a list when shopping. eating what is in the pantry & freezer. and using the phone instead of driving around to find items at diffferent places when we need things as well as make one trip out geoing to all the shops you need to go to and in the correct order of where they are located. like not back tracking to get to the store. Planning before you go.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  02:42:39 AM  Show Profile
We are saving our change!!! We also [even DH] clip coupons like crazy! We really concentrate on what we want verses what we need... With that in mind, we really save a lot of money every week.

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  02:45:12 AM  Show Profile
OH, AND I HAVE NOT SMOKED IN 5 DAYS!!! I'VE PROBABLY SAVED $9 IN THESE 5 DAYS. $9 IS LOTS OF FRESH VEGGIES AT THE STORE! OR A COUPLE GALLONS OF MILK!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  04:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie- That is so awesome! You are doing fantastic!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  06:52:48 AM  Show Profile
We're trying to cut costs by reviewing insurance policies, our cable, etc to see where we can cut back. We rarely eat out anymore, and when we do it's someplace where we have a coupon. We're working on paying off our credit card debt and are using cash. I consolidate my errands so I only make one trip out instead of several. I only cut coupons for the things that we regularly use. I grocery shop at Aldis or our local Shop N Save when it has $10 Thursday(you get $10 off when you spend $50).

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Clipping/using coupons, shopping thrift (especially for baby clothes!) and making weekly shopping trips instead of "daily"...making do with what's in the cupboard and getting creative with the slow cooker.

Bringing lunch to work instead of eating out-
Making cookies and other items to keep on hand instead of buying readymade-

Putting aside change in the Jameson's cannister (my husband found $20.00 worth last week for gas--cool!)

Getting my sewing machine together so I can learn how to do some quick "pick me ups" around the house for Spring instead of buying items at the stores.

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Diana, we have also been downsizing out bills. Cable, Cellphones, homephone, to get better rates. It has made a difference. I would go without a home phone but our cell doesnt get good reception out here. So we are bundling everything to get better rates. we dont have central heat and air. So we dont turn on the heaters at night. And just turn them on to take the chill off during the day. Coupon clipping and checking ads before I go to the store. And we dont go anywhere if we dont have to. to save on gas. It has to get better.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  10:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I have so much that I am really trying to make do use up reuse and go on.
We DH and I have also started a money journal every penny we spend goes in the journal and it relly opened out eyes to the amount of just stuff that we buy that we don't need. We also live a ways out from town so we were in the habit of get 2 we might need them later that has stopped. I have also taken the credit cards out of my wallet and also the check book.
It makes is very hard to get that extra stuff that is really not needed. I have given myself an amount of cash each week and can only use that for the week if I don't spend it all then I only withdraw the amount to make my budget and have seen a great savings that way too. I was really annoyed with all the computer generated phone calls about are you having trouble with your mortgage and then one bad check from a client and the house payment was late I don't ever want that to happen again. So it is budget budget budget. I have also checked all or our insurance to make sure we were getting the best rate. I saved about $700. a year on that.
I checked with our phone service and got that down by about $75. per month I cancelled our trash pick up $30. a month and take it my self. I have set up recycle bins and use them faithfully. I really I need to get things back on the good side and in a big hurry.

Diana

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile
DH used to be self employeed but saw the writting on the wall months ago when his work started to dry up. We had alread cut our expenses to the bone and it's been a real struggle for the past year. So he put out his resume and has taken a position that is 90 miles away and in another state. The pay is great and we no longer will have to pay 100% of our health insurance. He is going to be living in our Motor Home and since I have a job here I'll maintain our house until I can get a job where he'll be. Then we'll look for a bigger place. Other than that we're still cooking the majority of our meals, buying in bulk and making do with what we already have (although honestly, I don't know how much longer my undies will last! )

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  12:37:06 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Jesse ; prayer helps a lot
We have had to cut expenses here and ther as we are currentyly building our retirement home; on our small farm
I have learned to do without more things.
Make do with what ever is on hand
Our house payments are huge; but it will be worth it to get back in the country on a farm.
We or should I say me.
A lot of med to take to.
So, cut down, cut out , use cupons. etc.
This is nothing new.
We did this when we were younger.
Hugs pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I are both self employed, and the health insurance payments are murder and the coverage lousy. I try to occassionally shop health insurance rates/coverage, but there's not many deals out there for the self employed.

Other things we can do in hard times is pack instead of buy lunches. Lots of times I'll make extra portions of dinner so I can send hubby to his office with leftovers.

We shop at Sam's Club for lots of non perishible items, papergoods, pet food.

You can save $$$ by skipping the coffee shop java, cappuccino, latte etc by making your own. I got a Mr. Coffee expresso/cappuccino machine for only $25 and can make my own lots cheaper than the coffee houses!

Also, there are times you can renegotiate the interest payments on credit cards. It never hurts to try...all they can say is no, but if they lower the rates that's money in your pocket.

Freecycle & Craigslist are wonderful places to find free items.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  3:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What great ways to be thrifty!

I am getting a white cast iron looking day bed frame for Nora from Free Cycle (very farmgirl, eh?!) and 2 boxes of ornaments for next Christmas. Getting the bed frame alone is going to save us huge $$$

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  4:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I love thrifty ideas!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hard Times Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page