deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:21:11 AM  Show Profile
I have been posting on many topics lately. It seems as if I've done a lot in these 37 years! I guess once you write stuf down and really look at it, you dont realize all of what you've accomplished in your life. So what I'd like to know is... what had YOU done in your life? Have you worn as many hats as I have? or more? Let me start my list:
I've been: a butcher's apprentice, a manager at a mall store, a receptionist, a housewife, a Longaberger, Country Bunny, Mary Kay and a Tastefully Simple consultant, worked at a hydroponic greenhouse (dont ask, awful just awful), a regular greenhouse, a chicropractic assistant, rodeo representative/contestant, home health aide, hospice aide, medical assistant <certified>, fitness instructor <certified>, wellness consultant <certified>, nutrition coach <certified>, dental assistant (hated it!), personal assistant to a local big namer (hated it), worked at TSC, went to beauty school, licensed esthetician, make up artist/educator for Mirabella Cosmetics, worked in 3 different spa's/salon's, pumpkin farmer, farm market owner, agri-penuer, and now I'm a part-timer at a chicken hatchery! Phew!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile
WOW you did a lot!!

I was: a shoestore sales person and assistant manager for 14 years. Then worked in a Photography shop, also selling and assistant manager, then I moved to Australia.
Came back a few years later and started working in a bank for 1 year (one year too long duh) Then worked as a secretary to the bosses in an office, then in an office again, then another office, and then took care of my momma for the last 6 years of her life, 24/7.

Am now trying to get back into the work force. Have applied to a job, so keep those fingers crossed!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
How fun! Yep, Isnt it amazing dawn when we write it all down? I was a cashier, a trail ride guide, life guard, Merl Norman Cosmetic sales, Cosmotologist, Redkin show sylist, dental assistant, Personal Assistant to a Physician, Receptionist, Office Manager, Art Curator, Shipping clerk,a student, Licensed Crop Insurance Agent & Office manager, Assistant Farm Manager~ all while being a wife and mom of 4................Now I am sisterhood Coordinator for the farm and having the time of my LIFE!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  08:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Well I have worked at Michaels Arts&Crafts, 3 Retirement Home (LOVED IT) ,babysat, caregiver, housewife,mom, worked in a Funeral Home as a LimoDriver-bodypickerupper, got to help with embalming and grave work, that was probably my favorite.And now I am a para-pro, so I work at the schools doing little things here and there.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile
How interesting you all are! And the jobs you loved are interesting choices too! Makes us all quite diverse.

I've been a stall mucker/horse groomer, horse exerciser, dishwasher (teenager), waitress, gas station attendant, journeyman meat wrapper, secretary (over and over again, 20+ years combined), medical transcriptionist, parapro (teacher's aide), receptionist, sheep rancher, piano teacher...think that's it.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  09:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Let's see... irrigation pipe setter, babysitter, strawberry and raspberry picker, barn cleaner, fabric store clerk, office assistant, bookkeeper, homeschooling mommy of 5, toy seller, makeup peddler, teacher for a local craft store, book seller, seamstress for Equestrian riding gear, self-employed artisan of various crafty stuff, thrift/consignment store owner, more bookkeeping, still a homeschool mom of 5,Firefighter/EMT, Ambulance worker, Emergency room tech, Foster Mom, Administrative assistant to the Fire Chief, State Firefighter Evaluator, Recruit FF Instructor, EMT Instructor, still a homeschool teacher to one student, Mom to 5 teen-young adults.... I am tired now.

Oh- I forgot to add.... wedding cake decorator, catering....
Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?

Edited by - emsmommy5 on Sep 10 2008 1:52:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, I never really put it all down in a list but here goes:
Firefighter, Fire Chief, Fire Prevention Officer (yes, they really are three distinctly different jobs), cashier, grocery courtesy clerk "Would you like paper or plastic?" lol School teacher, instructional assistant, school bus driver, substitute teacher, care giver, Wildlife Field Technician, housekeeper, basketball coach, payroll clerk (hated the desk thing), EMT not to mention all my domestic duties...whew! And that's only 20 years worth, wonder what my next twenty years will bring?

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, here we go: cashier, secretary's assistant in school office, music library aide, teacher's aide (in college), teacher's aide (out of college), preschool teacher, bus driver (for day care), music teacher (1st-12th grade - two years; K-6th grade - four years; 2nd-5th grade - 3 years), video clerk, temp work (trucking company & plastic manufacturer), computer programmer, Longaberger consultant, caregiver (my dad), typist for title company, Young Living distributor (more like wholesale customer sharing the news), homemaker, and working toward setting up a CSA in a few years.

Yep, I think that's it!

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,
What a fun thread to see what you've all done and what you loved. I've never put it all in a list either...

Subway sandwich maker, Barista, Outdoor store sales clerk, Food packager, Receptionist, Photographer's office manager, Aveda Spa coordinator, Magazine editor...
It's really fun to look through my list and feel proud and thankful for it. The jobs I have held that I am most, most proud of are grain truck and combine driver, Momma to Stella, co-owner of a retail store and working alongside my entire family.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Meg,

Oh yea, I totally forgot about harvesting~ I guess I must not have thought that was a "Job"... ahahah :) oh how the memory fades...Kinda like the job I have now....So much fun you feel guilty calling it "work".....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  06:34:19 AM  Show Profile
I keep looking at everyone else's list and thinking. Man I must've been the ultimate job gypsy! But then.... I suppose I am very well rounded (in more ways than one!). I just dont beleive in not doing something because you havent qualifictions for it. How do you KNOW your'e not qualified if you've never TRIED it? I am 37 years young and I think I may have some more career switches in me!

PS: DUH! The most important job ever? Audrey's Mom.

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  07:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Well I haven't done a lot of different things. Mostly been a stay at home mom---then they all got in school. Well we lived 'out' and I didn't drive. I got a job as lunch lady at the elementary school and was head cook for 18 years (walked 4miles or rode a bike)and also worked at a wholesale nursery--production-transplanting etc and then worked 8 years as a supervisor and annuals (plants) buyer at a retail nursery. And then took care of my husband for 4years when he was sick. And now I am FREE-- although I need to get a job to survive and I will. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  07:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Page two---I guess I could ammend the above--when the kids were little I worked summers on a farm doing different stuff---how we forget the good stuff. And of course working at home--fencing--wrangling horses-raising chickens, sheep and a couple of calves and kids--mine and anyone else they brought home. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  12:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Let's see...... corn detassler on a walking crew as a teenager 14/15 y/o, nursing assistant from 16 to 19. College student for a yr. then took my boards and became a licensed practical nurse at 19. Worked at 4 different nursing homes ( I love geriatrics) until this past June when I officially retired from working due to health issues. Altogether 26 yrs. working in the geriatric/Alzheimers field. I did take a break off to have my 2 handsome sons and raise them till both were in school full time before returning to work. During the time I was off with the boys I did Mary Kay and also Rainbow vaccuum cleaners for a little extra cash. Oh yeah and a 6 month stint as a pharmacy technician when I thought I wanted a change from nursing...yuck...boring job. Least it was for me...no offense to any who might be in pharmaceuticals.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  06:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, here goes. Babysitter,waitress, cook, fast food server, seamstress,vetrinary assist., dry cleaner clerk, laundromat clerk, filling in on whatever construction jobs my husband was working on when his employees didn't show up:sheetrocking, cement pouring,etc,etc,etc, goat milker, hog farmer,nursing assist-hospital surgical floor, nursing assist.-nursing home, grain truck driver, fabric & craft store clerk/floor mgr, groc. store clerk, bakery/deli mgr, groc store assist mgr, groc store mgr. Now I work part time cooking at our small town cafe, but my main job is groundskeepeer for our small cemetery. Oh, I also have fabric in a small shop here in town. When we get moved to our 20 acres in Idaho I want to be an organic gardener, maybe try having a CSA once I have my garden/orchards set out and going.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile
Okay....
Babysitter, printer's assistant at city hall, motel maid, carhop, grocery store clerk, wreath maker, licensed daycare provider (for many years off and on) worker in large day care center, bath and brush person at two different dog grooming shops, clerk at kitchen shop, waitress (ALOT for many years) manager at fishing resort, tupperware lady, Longaberger basket consultant, house cleaning business, elderly care for a short time, dollmaker (had a business selling my handmade dolls both retail and wholesale..made cloth mannekins with wire armature for awhile too) and substitute teacher. I am fairly sure I am forgetting something here....so I will edit it if I think of any others. Most of the years I have done lisenced day care in my home or waitressed...and then other stuff when I needed to. I could see myself doing daycare again (but I LOVE to substitute at the elementary school and want to keep doing that for some time!!) but I think my waitress days are over.
edited to add...I have worked in two deli's too. One for my cousin...great fun and one at a tiny grocery store in the town I grew up in...made sandwiches for early morning fishermen mostly..it was the last stop on the way to the lake.
Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 13 2008 4:52:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  9:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow....I feel like such a slacker.

Let's see...babysitter, baked pies for a restaurant, roguer(pulling weeds out of wheat fields and grass fields), waitress, nurse's aide in a convalescent center, waitress, treatment nurse in same convalescent center, nurse--mostly a night nurse for 11 years, then OR nurse for 10 years, now an office nurse for a Urologist for the past 12 years. Now I'm also doing some fill-in work at an eye surgery center in the OR there. Plus I've taught sewing, knitting and quilting classes and been a caterer. And raised four great kids. My favorite job was the OR nurse job and if I ever went back to work in a hospital it would be in surgery. When I was 17 my mom told me I would be a terrible nurse and she didn't think I would be a very good mother either. Hmmmm...she's since apologized for that, many times. Seems she was wrong on both counts.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow! it is amazing how talented we all are....so here are my hats:
As a teen I started out baby sitting like most gals did, gleaned grapes on a farm then I worked at a donut shop. Worked as a factory-seamstress, a spot & seam welder. Worked the fabric dept at Gemco(luv'd), was a cashier at K-mart then worked the back office balancing registers there. Went to State Farm Ins(boring), did house cleaning, went back to college and got certified to teach pre-school which I did for 10 years & loved it. Then I went to work for the Sheriff's Dept working in Custody. Worked the Booking floor("Intake & Storage" as we liked to call it)-very interesting, Did purchasing for the department and then as a supervisor of volunteers for the Sheriff's Dept. Now I am retired and work harder then I ever have on my little 5 acre farmett. Who would have thought planting, watering, weeding & dreaming of the next thing to do around the property would be such hard work! But I have no regrets, and each job gives me an appreciation for the hard work others do. oh, and now the hats I wear are to keep the sun outta my eyes...
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Sep 13 2008 10:56:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  03:50:09 AM  Show Profile
We have a very diversified group of ladies here! It sounds like you all can do just about anything, and many have!

As for me, I have been a babysitter, pharmacy technician, worked in a gourmet cafe, worked at the University's farm while in college in the dairy, beef, and swine units, teaching assistant to undergrads while I was in grad school, managed a feedmill, payroll clerk in a county auditor's office, worked at a grain elevator, now I am a stay-at-home mom to my 19 month-old with another on the way. I also help on the farm that my husband works for when they need another tractor driver.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  6:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What interesting women you all are!! I love how diverse and active we all are. Let's see . . . I have been a waitress, a restaurant manager, a secretary, a copy-clerk, worked at two print shops, worked at a bindery, a trainee to become a stock-broker (which I quickly realized I hated!), got a degree in graphic design and a second in fine arts, worked at a large ad agency, did freelance graphic design, painted murals and stenciling professionally, taught art classes, taught sewing classes, an illustrator for the Spokesman-Review, free lance artist for various clients including Silverwood Theme Park, have had multiple antique booths, put on the Past Blessings Antique Shows, had my own antique shop, have been in multiple antique shows, helped my husband run a Real Estate Guide business, helped my husband run a first aid training business, have been a powerseller on ebay, was Women's Ministry Director at Church, currently run a coffee shop at our church, help my husband put on youth conferences, sing in the praise team at church, taught Sunday School, have been a pig farmer (which I actually miss!!), am a wife and a mother to three active teenaged boys . . . which also makes me a chauffer, a cheerleader at games, etc. I will be working with Rene (ProsserFarmgirl) and MaryJane to find and organize vendors for next Summer's Buggy, Barter & Boogie, so I am so excited about this new venture. Rene is an absolute doll! I have a website reserved (but have been slow getting moving!) and have some ideas up my sleeve for that too. Life is so exciting and I think trying new things only adds to it!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wow! We rock girls!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Now we know why we are so tired! I'm glad I started this thread! We are definately qualified for just about anything!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  8:10:43 PM  Show Profile
When I was a teen I started working in the kitchen of a nursing home, later I became a waitress(loved the tips), from there I moved on to being a nursing assistant(certified) and then became a phlebotomist(certified). When the hours at the hospital I worked got to be too much because of mandatory overtime I became a hospital unit secretary. From there I went on to teach kindergarten at the private school where my kids attended. Three years later, they switched me to teaching first grade. I did that for two years and decided to homeschool our kids. This is our third year of homeschooling.
That's it in a nutshell.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  01:07:59 AM  Show Profile
I have never thought of this, now, to try and write it all down, might take a few months(GRIN)....
Just have to stop and think....
I think I will write it later after I get it all on paper...
What have i been or done?...that is a BIG question....

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....
http://frocksfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am back...(grin).What have I been?
Mother, Wife, Homemaker, sales clerk, Poultry Processor, baker, log splitter, Horse Breaker,Goat keeper, Milkmaid, cheesemaker, Janitorial Service, Candy Striper.....
I think that is about it...I might think of more later...
Have a GREAT day!!!!

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....we can't help it! ;)
froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  9:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so I know that I am one of the younger farmgirls here but I thought I had a nice little list to add to the posting...
I started with babysitting, and shoveling horse manuere for the neighbors. Worked at a movie theater and then started to string pearls for a neighbor who did it for all the local jewlery stores, yes it was professional and I was able to be creative. I was in theater all throughout high school and was a major role in all of the costumes for all shows. I worked as a clerk for Big Lots, then moved to Hancock Fabrics, the worked as a busser for a local resterante. I then moved to LA where I was going to school and working retail at Macy's. I then went to serving table at Johnny Rockets, and then as a wardrob PA for the short live show Jericho, while also working for Starbucks. After Jericho I went to work at a small bakery for a short two month, went back to the resturante all while working for Starbucks. I know currently work at only Starbucks. But on the side I free lance costume designs for friends shows, make dresses for friends, and any other small project that I may pick up. I know that I don't have as much as some but I always thought I had a nice spread of everything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Jane's of all Trades.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page