Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How is your canning coming along?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How is your canning coming along? Next Topic
Page: of 2

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  06:17:07 AM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if everyone was still in the thick of canning or are coming to the end? So far I've canned Mild & Hot Salsa, Tomatoes, and Spaghetti Sauce. I'm moving to peaches this week.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile
I have made a few jars of salsa and waiting for the tomaotes. They are just now getting with it. Will be making salsa this comming week. In the middle of doing apples. Apple butter the last couple of days. Will can some apple pie filling when I get tired of doing tomatoes. I cut and put okra in the freezer daily. I have been and will to continue to freeze bell peppers and hot peppers. Drying cayenne peppers for grinding. And my fall garden is comming right along. It is mostly for eating and not canning. I'm not ready for a frost yet but in another 6 weeks, I'll be ready when it gets here.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  08:31:48 AM  Show Profile
It is just now starting heavy duty canning season here. I have done a few things so far..jams and mixed veggies and meatballs and chicken canned, but the peaches, apples and tomatoes are just beginning....I am planning to can corn relish an a batch of salsa today if my plans don't get changed.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile
My canning has been much less than what I wanted to get done this year. Partly because my garden wasn't so good this year, but probably more out of sheer laziness. I had a huge list of things that I wanted to make, but I have only canned a few quarts of beans, peach pie filling, peach butter, peach syrup, blackberries, blackberry syrup, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chili sauce. Oh, and pickled peppers. Mostly, I have been freezing things as canning just hasn't agreed with me this summer. I am almost 6 months pregnant, and the heat and smell of canning most things has made me sick, so I decided to take the easy route and freeze alot more than usual. But now I have no space in our freezers for anything else! I have lots and lots of peppers and corn frozen, even some tomatoes that I just froze whole in the bag because I was running out of time with them. Hopefully that works out OK. I love hearing what other people are canning, it gives me motivation!
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  11:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I' going to wait a while, hit the farmer's market when they are ready to practically give away their tomatoes, and then maybe Ill make some salsa. I barely planted anything because I was feeling so lousy...next year!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
I will be slowing down a little in my canning because tomorrow is BACK TO SCHOOL! But I had a great summer - lots of jams, some chutneys and just did peach jam and then peach salsa. I want to try apple butter this year for the first time. I have made lots of applesauce, but want to try something new. It is so dry here my pickles are still in the patch, but I am looking forward to bread and butter pickles whenever we get some RAIN! Also hoping for some plum jam, so maybe I am not slowing down so much after all!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I haven't been able to can as much as I would like this year. So far I've only made a batch of rhubarb jam and a batch of rhubarb chutney. I'm getting ready to clean out the freezer in the next two weeks tho to get ready for this years beef. I'm going to can up all of last years beef, whatever chicken I have in there and what's left of last years pork. I hope to yet can peaches, pears, and appleslices.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  03:56:37 AM  Show Profile
Made grape jam yesterday. More to do today. Have to do a small batch of tomatoes, the first ones. Like everyone else, canning season is kicking into high gear now. One good thing, with 2 boys out of the house now, I don't need to do so much! But I am thinking of doing some as gifts!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  05:28:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm slowly gearing up. This is the first year where I've really had the time to get a whole lot canned. So far this summer I've done dill pickles, chili sauce, salsa, strawberry jam, strawberry banana jam, peach jam, and apricot jam. (We're big jam people in this house :)

Today I'm going to do another batch of peach jam, and maybe freeze some peach pie filling. Going to pick up some more tomatoes too. Figure I'll do Oven-dried tomatoes for throwing on pizzas etc, and attempt some freezer tomato sauce. Soon I'll be busy with pears! Yay!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  06:28:25 AM  Show Profile
I canned 36 jars of tuna yesterday. I'm not sure if those of you who live more in the central US can fresh tuna or not, but if you've never had it, you've missed a real treat. It tastes nothing like what comes in those little cans at the grocery store. I wish I could send each of you a jar! Delicious!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Been busy-busy this last month. It has been a slow summer for the produce to ripen up! So far in the freezer I have green beans, corn, zucchini, carrotts (more to come with them), peas, and peppers. As far as canning I have put up tons of berry jams, peaches, blackberries, cherries, jalapenos, dilly beans, hot pickle mix. The tomatos are just starting to ripen here too, so when they are ready I will be too! Still have to can pears and apples. Also we dehydrate a bunch of things too- beans, carrotts, potatos, peppers, apples, cabbage and whatever else doesn't get away from me!

With the produce being slow to come on this year, I really feel like I hadn't put much up. After looking at what I have done on "paper" I feel much better now. Also need to get a hold of a few more peaches, I am going to attempt peach butter this year, to mix in with my yogurt!

Happy canning everyone-Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Been canning tomatoes, and making tomato juice with all the cherry maters. The food mill does a fine job extracting the juice. Neighbor let me have all the apples I want so been storing the juice in the freezer for jelly making later. I love the harvest kitchen smells in the Autumn.

Drying hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes, squash chips,herbs, even okra

mikesgirl oh that fresh tuna sounds so good. My grandmother would can carp and it would even taste better then the can tuna we get nowadays.

Happy canning all
linda

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  07:05:51 AM  Show Profile
I did some canning this weekend, not as much as I would normaly due to the garden or lack thereof... I put up some plain tomaotes, spagetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa, dilly beans, sweet pickles and dill pickles.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  3:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I've canned tomatoes, green beans, hot peppers, and grape jelly so far. The tomato day was a full 12 hour day in the kitchen...I had picked 2 5 gallon buckets full! I was beat!
Yesterday I canned 16 pints of grape jelly...a friend from church brought me a bucket full of grapes...and it is really good! I've never really canned a lot until this year, and while it is a lot of work, I've really enjoyed it. Well, I should say that I enjoy the final product...gets tiring after 12 hours of work in the kitchen!

Tuna sounds good!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile
i kind of lost the fire this year when most everyting came on and off too quickly

I was able to can a few quarts of tomatoes.

Beans didn't do diddly, but we stil have jars left over from last summer

Same w/ corn. Enough came on for us to just eat and enjoy, but not near enough to fool w/ dragging out all the canning supplies and such.

Now for jams and jellies.....I'll be cranking these out in time for our employee craft fair the first week in December.

Last year I sold out, so a lttle at a time will decrease stress and the last minute rush.

Canning is one of those things I have to be in the mood for and feel inspired to do. Otherwise i don't care to fool w/ it. It also helps if it's kind of crummy outside and am more forced to find something to do inside.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I thought I had done alot of canning, then I saw what everyone esle has done. Goodness, people still do can. I went to get more jars a few weeks ago and most places I went to were sold out. So there are a lot of people putting up their own food. That's a good thing. That's weird to see that some of you are just getting started when I am done with summer stuff. All the tomatoes are gone and some of ya'lls are just coming in. I just thought everything came in at the same time everywhere. I've canned beans, plain tomatoes and sauce and juice, applesauce, spiced and gingered apples, apple butter, plum jelly, peppers, carrots and pickled okra. Also frozen corn apples, okra, brussels sprouts, peas. Drid tomatoes, squash zucchini, peppers. Sherri, where do you get tuna to can? Do you fish for it yourself? Sounds interesting.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Just getting into the thick of it. I have 3 jars dill spears, 4 jars sweet slices and 9 jars of sweet relish. We've had several frosts now and some of the cukes have been bit hard even though I cover. That's ok, I have plenty of pickles and relish now. I'll just downsize the garden a bit to finish off the stuff that I don't have enough of yet. I just finished canning 7 5-gallon buckets of elderberries into 10 quarts unsweetened juice and 19 pints of sweetened. We're set there. My cherry plums are ready and I'll tackle them this weekend. The bigger plums and apples around town aren't quite ready yet and the peaches won't be in for a couple more weeks (they come from out of town). Waiting for the tomatoes out of my garden. All of a sudden there are a ton of them! All small, of course, but I put the heater out there under this big tarp and I'm going to prolong the tomato and pepper beds as far into October as I can. I freeze everything else. No corn this year. The frost got it good; the silks had only just started turning brown. Oh, well, got lots of other stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile
I did alot of canning earlier in the summer and now I'm canning applesauce, peaches and apples in sauce together, making peach butter and apple butter (in the oven-much easier than constant stirring and watching on the stove), put up 22 pints of spiced peaches and 12 pints of mint-apple chutney last week. I've got a zillion green tomatoes-for jam, relish and pickles, along with pumpkin to process. Our grapes didn't do so hot this year. I only got 8 quarts of juice-last year I canned 30 quarts. But I've got alot in my pantry and life is good!
Bonnie
Farmgirl Sister #333
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  05:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I tried something new this year. I was given a box of apricots that were a little beyond the selling stage and made apricot butter. It turned out really good considering I don't much care for apricots. DH loves the stuff which I'm glad. I've canned far more this year than in years past and now it looks as though I will have to do a serious rearranging of my pantry to fit it all in. I have all the elderberry juice sitting out on the counter and some of the pickles on the floor in the pantry because the shelves are already full and I'm not done yet. What was that badge for fixing your pantry? I just might put in for that one.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  06:59:28 AM  Show Profile
Lisa
What do you do with Apricot Butter? I see 'butter' recipes in the Ball Canning Bible and I haven't an idea what I would do with it? Is it to be used like jelly?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile
I buy my canning supplies early and way more than I think I'll use. When our Walmart (only place in town) runs out of seasonal stuff, they don't get anymore in until next year. I run out of energy and/or produce before I run out of supplies.

People are getting back to canning and a whole new generation is learning how. There is a place in MO that teaches canning. My grandSONS are learning to can. They have been here learning to make pickles and salsa. Real life supporting food. WalMart is going to have to learn to stock more stuff cause canning is making a comeback.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Kim, butters are used like jam - you can put it on toast, your bagel, english muffin, pancakes and waffles. I usually make peach, apple and plum butters. I only made the apricot butter as something to do with them, but I actually like it. Butter recipes are so easy, you should try them. Oh, they're only called butters because they are spread on bread and such; not because they have butter in them. A lot of folks misunderstand that part. I grew up on Grandma's apple butter and I just can't live without it.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  12:04:59 PM  Show Profile
I wish I would have known you all were out there 3 years ago when I was teaching myself how to can from library books!

Nothing beats that feeling when your family sits down for dinner and you know where everything came from. I have never considered myself into "organic" but nothing is better than homemade & homegrown!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  2:12:41 PM  Show Profile
You can also stir fruit butters into plain yogurt, its yummy!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful, Lillian. Plain yogurt is a lot cheaper than the flavored ones and most of the flavored ones have chemicals or high fructose corn syrup in them. Your idea is much better!

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I find canning jars at the local DI (deseret industries) Sally's (Salavation Army) and othe second hand stores. I usually buy them for a dollor a box.

Lisa, thanks for the butter explanation. Now I will try some.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How is your canning coming along? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page