Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How often do you make the same meal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How often do you make the same meal? Next Topic  

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Or, do you have a set rotation of meals that works its way in every few months?

I was reading through some recipes somewhere on the internet the other day and saw one for chicken fingers and the author said she made it at least twice a week. I thought to myself, WOW, I would be so tired of that! But she said her family loved them. So I started thinking about how often I make the same things for supper. Really, I feel bad if I make the same thing more than once a month or even two months. Now, leftovers don't bother me, but to just have the same thing again freshly made, I find hard to do. But, I find that I spend alot of time looking for new things to make, whereas if I just used a set rotation of meals I would have more time for other things, in theory. Then I could just add in a new meal here or there when I wanted to.

So what does everyone else do? Meatloaf every Tuesday? A two week block of meals on rotation? Or do you come up with something new most days?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  08:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow...twice a week...I would get complaints about THAT for sure!!
We have favorites for sure (mexican food..tacos in particular) but even those don't get repeated more than every 2 weeks. If I were to make tacos two weeks in a row I would make them different..like fish or chicken tacos for a change. I would be more likely to make enchiladas instead.
I don't have a set routine with meals...I sit down on Sunday nights and make the menu for the coming week...according to what I have on hand AND what we have going on each night. Tuesday nights are always a crock pot or quick meal since the two oldest kids at home have things to go to on Tuesday nights...Weds is an early supper since husband has to leave at 5:45. Otherwise..depends on the week. The set rotation thing may be a great idea though! I keep a list in the back of my recipe card box (basket in my case) of meal ideas. If I feel like I am in a total rut and can't think what to make I like to look down that list for ideas. I add to it often so it is a long list. Sometimes I just get out of the habit of making something that we all like alot..just gets out of the mix.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  09:35:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on a set rotation. I can go months with out repeating things! But....I would like to have a 12 month rotation plan ideally!

I'm working on that! I have a private yahoo group that I use to track and keep up with things.

That's where I am filing away my menu plans and such.

One day I will have it all down to 12 month rotation seasonal menu plan! lol haha

To me in my mind how the weather is this is how I break down the months-
Dec-Feb Winter (so winter foods!)
March-May Spring (so spring meals!)
June-Aug Summer (so summer foods)
Sept-Nov Fall (so fall menu)

I've been working on getting this 12 month rotation menu plan for about 3 years.

It takes a while, because I am always on the look out for new recipes, and incorporating them into our menus. They only get put on my list of rotation if we all LOVED the recipe/menu. If we didn't. Then it doesn't go into the rotation list...so this is taking a while. lol

Um.....I think I'll be dead before it's done. Maybe my daughter can use it on her family! lol haha

In my online file, is also links (that I have typed them in and stored them myself, so that they can't get lost) of all the recipes. Along with the book/page number it was from! Calories, and nutritional information I need to know as well, as I'm a diabetic.

What is ironic, is I haven't been working on it lately (although I worked on it diligently daily for 2 years!). And just yesterday I started work on it again, and just before coming here to MJ just now I was working on it some more! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  2:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
We have our favorite meals like most families, but I try to mix it up so we don't get bored...I am wanting to simplify things here too but that is easier said than done. I can't quite nail myself down to a rotation list, things get undone so easily here with schedules thatI think I would be the crazier for doing that. I don't have a set way, I guess I am a seat of the britches cook more than I want to admit...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  3:22:09 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to make something differnt every night. My hubby is a picky eater so we have about a four week "rotation". And that is really stretching it. My hubby would eat chicken strips every night if I let him. I think his mom only made 5 different meals when he was growing up. He lost a lot of weight our first year married because he was so afraid to try things. He learned though.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:26:53 PM  Show Profile
My husband wasn't very flexible at first either...after 12 years + now, he is getting better. He still won't eat chicken two nights in a row without a major tantrum (exagerating here) and don't like some veggies at all and hates meatless nights..which the kids and I love. About once a week I have to sigh and repeat these words...."there are six of us here..it isn't ALL about you" and show him that I am careful to think about him when I do the menu..but everyone gets their favorites. My youngest son was adopted at 7 and he would have been happy to eat hot dogs or mac and cheese every night. Since I rarely make either one (hot dogs are camping food to me..and mac and cheese..ick) he has adapted and now likes alot of things that surprize me.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  04:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I think my MIL probably made those same 5!

One night I baked pork chops, nothing special just with a few seasonings, and my husband thought they were great, but wanted to know what they were. When I told him, he said he didn't know you could bake pork chops. Huh? When I asked how his mom made them, he said she fried them. No other way, ever. She is a good cook, but not adventurous at all.

My husband doesn't understand the meatless nights, either. But, he does get credit for trying anything that I make, he is very good about that.

Earlier this spring I printed out a menu on a calendar from the computer for the whole month, really just 4 nights a week, but it was great. I got to make less trips to the store, and much less anxiety during the day trying to figure out what to make for supper. I really need to do that again. But we are about to hit the busy harvest season for my husband, so he won't get to eat with us much. I think that will be my goal for the day!
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  05:12:11 AM  Show Profile
I make a menu on the calander in the kitchen for two weeks at a time...then I shop for those two weeks. On average I try to have one new recipe to try on each two week cycle. All that really ends up having the same dish once a month except for the few big favorites...grilled hamburgers, taco's and chicken casserole!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile
I don't like boxed mac and cheese, but you have to have my uncles home made mac and cheese.......it's the best! People from all over come to eat it. Of course he had a restaurant too! lol haha Four cheeses I think is the secret.

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
We probably rotate the same or similar meals every three weeks or so. The fella's a creature of habit when it comes to food (at restaurants he always orders the same thing :) but when I find a new recipe or am inspired, or am just plain old trying to 'use it up' and get creative with what's left in the cupboards, different dishes get thrown in. And of course, the menu changes seasonally. Right now, it's pretty heavy on the zucchini :)

We always have homemade pizza every week. I make the dough in bulk and freeze it, so it's a pretty easy supper for me to get together. Plus the toppings change every week to make things interesting, and pizza leftovers are always eaten!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
My dh is a picky eater also. Now that he is diabetic it's really tricky. I like pretty much everything and would try all sorts of dishes but he just won't eat them. We have the same ole same ole. Sometimes I make two meals just so I can have something different, but most of the time it's just too much extra work. I do like to make a meal planner on the calendar tho, it sure is nice when you come home from work frazzled and at least you don't have to figure out what's for dinner. Just make what is on the calendar, hubby likes it planned out too. He had better hope I never get diabetes because I will be only making diabetic-friendly meals and he'll have no choice to eat them or starve. He doesn't eat sweets, but he refuses to eat vegetables. So what's left?
I don't like boxed mac and cheese either. I have a great home made, real food mac and cheese recipe I got off the food network, Tylers ulimate mac and cheese. It's to die for, but of course hubby won't eat it,lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  1:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Ha! I am so boring compared to you all! We eat just about the same lunch every day (with one or two variations) and dinner is whatever I feel like making. I'm lucky, though, DH just eats whatever it is.....even if it's cold cereal that night. ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
I use a 10 day rotation. But never fixed the same way. This may get lengthly.
1. Beans Main dish, So many way to fix beans and so good for you
2. Fish, Shrimp, cod, salmon, salmon patties, grilled salmon, salmon salad
3. Chicken, sooooo many ways to fix chicken
4. Roast beef, So many ways to use the left overs from freezer
5. Hamburger, something made with hamburger
6. Pork, Chops, roast, sausage, ribs
7. Mexican or Chinese, or Pizza
8. OPEN Usually have skipped one of the above for one reason or another
9. Hamburgers, grilled on a bun. Some times just a HB others do pepperjack cheese or pineapple.
10. Pasta, with sauce or cheese or new recipe. Lets see today is the 10th of the month. Yep pasta tonight.
Then I start over #1 and so on. I got so tired of going to the freezer and standing there with the door open trying to "find" something for supper. Now I just look at the list. And I have a waiting list of recipes.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile
we eat a lot of pasta. Hubby is a cyclist, so we have spaghetti or 4 way chili at least twice a week. and since I take care of chores while he rides after work, i'll go ahead and eat around 5 then come back in when he gets back to the house to chat and catch up on the days events

I made homemade pasta sause last week. I know it was good when hubby ate off it for 3 days! He is usually not one for leftovers, so that's good proof positive we have a winning recipe.

Other times we do sandwiches or saldas, or eat such a big lunch that all we need is a small filler around dinner time.

Hubby also has an affinity for PB&Js....hence my real need for canning jellies/jams. He'll eat 3 sandwiches throughout the course of a day sometimes. We may need to start growing p-nuts!

Our schedules are so flexible, i'll keep a stocked pantry and just fix whatever we are in to mood for. It makes cooking from scratch a pain sometimes, but all the processed stuff either doesn't come in big enough packages to be worth the money, or it just tastes bad.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:15:46 AM  Show Profile
Country wife, probably good he doesn't like the mac and cheese, not so great for diabetics. lol

What does he like? I'm a diabetic, maybe I can help with some recipes.

I ONLY make diabetic friendly meals. Not worth my life to eat any other way. I'm a type 1. And I could go into diabetic keytone acidoses too easily. Already been there done that before they knew I had diabetes. And I almost died that time. (50% die from it), a second time my chances rise of dying. And once you've been in it once, it is more easy to go into it again. So I'm pretty strict with my eating.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile
OH PS, my way of eating may be controversial-I know a lot of people disagree with a lot of the foods I eat. But, it works for me. So I don't push my way on any one, at the same time, no one will talk me out of it for myself! lol So I would rather not hear lectures about how I could eat "healthier" etc. I know this has put my diabetes into "remission", or what they call in the diabetes world, the "honey moon" period. And it helped me lose 100 lbs! (lots of weight gain on insulin). But, I've been off insulin now for 3 years cause of this way of eating! (doctors approved!).

If you are interested in the kind of recipes I use, you can go to my site-right now it's under construction so not ALL the pages will work right. lol But, I'm working on it-

www.heathersrecipereviews.blogspot.com

The thing is, I am moving my site from homestead (a site I have to pay for), to blogspot that is free. I've had this site for about 7 years (I've had homestead for 15, but the recipe part has been 7!). So it's taking me a while to get it all relocated! I've only been working on it for like 2 weeks. So... it will take a while longer.

Click on the menu plans, I'll be adding a new one daily, till I get them all transfered over there from my old site.

Then there's also tons of recipes on my sparkpeople.com team. (it's a free website, you may want to check out my team). It's here-
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individual.asp?gid=14777

Not trying to turn this thread into a diabetic infomericial. lol But, at the same time, I know how boring my food was before I found this way of eating. And how much happier, me and my HUSBAND is with this way! lol My husband will eat the food no problem! Especially the meatloafs.......hmmm, I don't think I have added his favorite meatloaf to a menu plan file! I'll have to work on that. His favorite if you are interested is-the American Cheese Meatloaf under Healthy Exchanges Monthly Newsletters, January. My favorite is Barbecued Meatloaf! I think under the same link! lol :)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How often do you make the same meal? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page