Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How is your canning coming along?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How is your canning coming along? Next Topic
Page: of 2

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I wish we had a DI or SA closer to us! At that price, I could afford to give away lots to everybody! The next time I'm in Boise (later this month, maybe) I'll have to make a special to trip to those places.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  11:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I moved on to peaches this week. They are soooo expensive but I did make three batches of Peach Vanilla jam, several quarts and pints of canned peaches, and the remainer went into us for dinner. I thought that I would get a day or two off from canning but the Corn man called and now I have 5 dozen ears of corn to freeze. I'll do tomato juice when I clean out the garden, and in a few more weeks, I'll start with apples.
Oh yes - Aunt Jenny - my Gazpacho Soup turned out just fine for the first year of trying to can that.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I've got 30 jars of tomatoes put up and am doing more today. Our corn was terrible this year, so I haven't gotten any of that done, but I did get done peaches, peach jam, zucchini and squash...I want to do apple butter today, but am trying to find my recipe. Does anyone have an easy one??

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Didn't have a garden this year but have canned 5 batches of cinnamon peach butter and two batches of peach/pear/lime jam. I'm still planning on doing pear honey, pear mincemeat, plum butter, applesauce and apple butter.
I have a fairly large extended family and either make cookies or give them home-canned stuff for christmas. Well last summer was awful and I didn't get any canning done, figuring that I would just do more baking.
That totally backfired on me and the week before christmas I was a basket case trying to bake eleventy dozen batches of cookies - so this year I am canning again!!
I love canning - the pops of the lids sealing are one of my favorite sounds.
The batches of jam I did today were the most prompt sealers ever - every single jar sealed within about 10 seconds of the others - so fun to listen to
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  2:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
My garden didn't impress me much this year. Those stupid tomato cages aren't worth a dime! Mine fell over even though I had a wooden stake for stability. Not enough rain either. Even jalapenos didn't do anything. Now that is surprising. Usually you can't even kill these things with a frost here. Sooo, I did what I could. I canned pickles, hot banana peppers, tomatoes, and squash. I don't like squash frozen because it gets rubbery. Today, I canned 9 qts of tomatoes that I got pretty cheap at our local farmer's market.

I also tried my hand at peach preserves. I failed. And plum preserves. Failed at that too. oh well, there's always next year. I have peach and plum trees and I hate to see them go to waste. I figure if I can just get my tomatoes canned, then I can turn them into something else further down the line. Right?

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  6:27:25 PM  Show Profile
I am with you graciegreeneyes- love that popping sound! My whole family starts to cheer when they hear the first one go! I too would love to get a good tried and true apple butter recipe!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  06:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shirley,
Don't give up girl! Re-trace your steps on your peach preserves and try again. If your family is bugging you during canning to where you can't concentrate, just throw them out of the kitchen! I've had to do that a few times and they've learned to leave me and my canner alone ; )
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Shirley - what happened with your preserves?? Sometimes my jams have taken months to set up so don't give up. Also if stuff stays liquidy I have just decided it was sauce for ice cream:)
Mary - that kind of turns canning into a team sport - I love it!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I made jam earlier in the summer and will probably break everything out to can some tomatoes within the next couple of days. I'm like Anna,I have to have a bounty of harvest to get motivated to drag everything out to can.

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Canned applesauce today - my day off from the fair. I looked at the apples, looked at the fabric, and decided fabric wouldn't spoil, but apples would. Nice change from being lashed to the sewing machine for the last month!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:35:53 PM  Show Profile
spiced peaches, what recipe? I did lots of peaches, just plan though. I didn't have a garden this year so I bought a box of seconds at the farmer's market for a great price! My neighbor has a surplus of cherry tomatoes. She's been begging me to take as many as I want. I lent her my dehydrator as I left town and said have fun. She didn't know you could dry them. She did chirp up. "Like sun-dried tomatoes" I can't wait to get home and see how she did. I did chili a month or so ago. It's just nice to have on hand for those not cooking nights. And I bought a basket of wild grapes and made up a few jars of jam. They hadn't set when I left, but they had only been out of hte canner for an hour. Hopefully. If not syrup!! you are all an inspiration.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  10:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I taught a food preservation class at my house tonight. Sixteen women came and we had a great time.

The handout for it will be posted on my blog.

Now we have 10 boxes of peaches & 8 boxes of tomaoes to do up this week.
Salsa here we come....

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  03:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Kristine~ I wish I lived close to you so I could come to your class, it sounds like so much fun! I just looked at your blog, your granddaughters are too cute!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Toni
It would have been fun for you to be there.

I just posted what we canned today on my blog. Boy am I tired.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  05:26:14 AM  Show Profile
My neighbors brought us some peaches last night. I have never canned peaches before. Does anyone have a great recipe for canning peaches. I sure would like to try.

Thanks
Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tina and Amy Grace: Thanks for the pep talk! My peaches and plums came out like syrup. I'm with you....vanilla ice cream and syrup. Yum! They just didn't seem to set up.

Hey Laurie - those cherry tomatoes.... I like to take the green ones with some garlic and some oil and some vinegar and maked pickled green tomatoes to eat. Yummy. Kinda like pickles only tomatoes.

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, I had some um, issues, with my first batch of peach butter that I made, so it got christened "peach syrup" and it is wonderful on vanilla ice cream!

Kristine, you should be tired! That is alot of work. Good thing you have such willing helpers! Last night my husband and I were talking about how many kids we wanted to have (many) and I told him that I was going to need that much help with all of my plans for our little homestead! Your porch looks like a great place to set up for canning, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How is your canning coming along? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page