Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Anybody else trying to stop smoking?......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  06:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hugs Jamie-

You are doing TONS better! Working in a smoking environment is going to make is a bit harder to quit for sure, but I know you can do it! Just keep focused on why you are doing this!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  06:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  08:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Try meditation. Really take 2 mins and sit eyes closed and just breath and focus on your breathing and if you get off track tell your self to focus on your breathjing and just try to relax for those 2 min. Do it as often as you need for how ever long. If you can focus on something else the craving can and will go away. Smoked for a lot of years I quit 3 years ago. Good Luck YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Amejames
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Amy
Frankfort ME
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  3:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi there...I'm new to the MaryJane group, but wanted to say I just quit smoking in April (113 days ago to be exact) with Chantix. I was on that for only 10 weeks. I smoked for roughly 30 years as my memories when I was little was lighting my grandparents cigs for them (they didn't know back then), and smoked regularly since I was 15. I couldn't quit for my kids...tried that. Couldn't quit for hubby, etc. I have asthma (yep, I know) and got the flu in April, turned into pneumonia..well, asthma plus pneumonia=half dead. I will not EVER go through that again. The Chantix helps in such a huge way, I couldn't have done it without it. Now I'm learning how to "cope"..angry, sad, folded a load of laundry, happy, finished making the bed, stressed, etc...how to live my life as a non-smoker. I'm not saying I'm doing it well (just ask my hubby and kids), but I am learning how to deal with what life throws me without going to buy a pack of smokes. You should research the side effects before you take it and there is a Chantix email group on yahoogroups that is good for venting and questions. Good luck and God Bless! ~Amy
Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile
I successfully quit smoking with the assistance of Wellbutrin, an antidepressant that works really well when you are quitting. After a week on Wellbutrin the taste of a cigarette is so foul that you will not want one in your mouth! It also takes the edge off and you will not crave them anymore. My family can tell when I am not taking it. I am crankier. There are side effects, weight loss and increased sex drive.

Yep. Weight loss.
It may be worth discussing with your doctor. My husband is anti-medication, but even he is glad I did it.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  5:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Well I thought I would revive this topic again....I am facing this head on!!! I am doing it, and I think it is the hardest thing I've ever done! But I am almost at 24 whole hours and I'M REALLY HAPPY ABOUT ME RIGHT NOW!!! I'll post again in the morning. Mornings are the hardest...Now I have a piece of gum with my coffee!! ewwww....but better than a cig...

Jamie [p.s. thanks for all the support!!!!!!! {{HUGS}}]

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile
One of my resolutions is to quit......

I need to be able to afford the gum,first. I quit once (when I found out I was pregnant), and then started up again when my daughter was 2.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  7:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Jamie...you are MY inspiration....the kids were here for Christmas.....I know...an excuse but they are gone now and I will finish the ones I have and then back on the patch. Thanks for bumping this post again! We CAN do this!!!!! I'm saving my "butts" so I can put them in the jar again...LOL!!!! And I have some crochet ready to go! I did order a Kathy Smith exercise and food regimen that tells you each day for 6 weeks what exercises and menus to use with cd's for the exercises. I spent $70.00 on it and $20.00 on vitamins but my birthday is coming and it is the big 60 so it's now or never! I'm in pretty good shape compared to many my age but I could do better so that is my birthday present to myself! Good luck to us all and to all good night!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  03:41:51 AM  Show Profile
WootWoot Gals!!!!! I'm on morning #2.....smoking is on the back of my mind, however, it's not distracting me thus far. But it really doesn't matter, I HAVE NONE! THEY ARE GONE!! MY HUSBAND {per my request} took them out of my purse and threw them far away yesterday morning! And, I refuse to go to the store that I used to always buy them from....I will go to another store now. I know that sounds silly, but mental....that's where i'm at right now...

Well, I'm going to get a cup of coffee.....wish me mental piece of mind!! LOL!! [Mornings are the worst!!] :P

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  06:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, I'm wishing you luck and strength to stick to it! It's such a tough one to break. I am not trying to do it without help. I started Wellbutrin yesterday and it should kick in about the time all my cigarettes are gone. I've used Wellbutrin before and it works really well. But a certain someone would NOT smoke outside and as soon as I stopped taking it, I went right back to smoking! So beware of hanging around other smokers, it will pull you back in.

I have been smoking for OMG! I just counted it out...34 years! Yikes! They have got to go.

Not going back to the store you always bought them from is a good idea. You may be tempted to buy a pack while standing at the counter because you always have. Changing daily habits is a great way to eliminate those triggers. You hang in there. You can do this!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  06:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks....No one else really smokes here so I'll be ok with that. I'm going cold turkey without anything and am amazed at my ability to stop!! Wow!! And as well, I'm amazed at all there is to clean in this house. I CAN'T REST YET, I CAN'T SLOW DOWN! I can't be that comfortable yet b/c I'll want to smoke.....that's ok though....I've lots of things to do around here!! :P

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  06:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Well, I've made it through coffee this morning!! It's sooooo nice and sooo difficult al at the same time!! It's like I miss a terrible friend that only wants to harm me....

So anyhow, this morning before I got out of bed [I was dozing in and out of sleep] I had a dream that I smoked over 4 cigs in like 10 minutes....and in the dream I felt sooooo guilty. I woke up immediately and had one of those "was it real moments"....I even felt guilty for dreaming that...It was kinda funny. I told DH and he said he would have dreams to when he was quitting dipping. Ha...who knew?!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie- you are doing awesome! Every hour that you go without gives you that much more power over the addiction!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I saw this post yesterday and have thought about it for awhile now. Good for you, Jamie!!!!! You are doing great so far! And Lisa, you can do it, too. You've both got so much going for you and your health is the most important thing. You'll start to see clearer soon and smelling things will take on a whole new meaning. Smells are something I took for granted before I quit. Everything smells great when you don't smoke.

My last cigarette was July 4, 1987. That was the date I picked to stop. Cold turkey. No going back for me. That was it. Plus I made a promise to God. That kinda clenched it. I had smoked for years. I'd quit then start back when I'd go visit my sister. Off and on again for so long. I just got so tired of it. Thet had taken control of my life. Everything centered around when I could have a smoke. I never smoked inside or around my kids, but never realized the smell was all over me anyway. But I remember having to go outside in the freezing cold to smoke. How stupid is that? But once I finally made my mind up to QUIT for good, it was really easy then. I was a jerk for a few weeks and gained some weight, but it was worth it, for sure. And now I hate to be around the nasty things. It was the best thing I ever did for me and my family.

Both my DD's have smoked. The oldest, Heather, stops and start all the time. She hasn't come to the place yet where she can stop yet. She's one where stress takes her right to them. My youngest, Abby, quit a few years ago for good. Hasn't gone back at all. I'll have to get more info from her, but she called a place that helps people quit cold turkey. They get you to pick the day you want to quit. Then they call you all the time to check on your progress. You can call them anytime, too. It worked for her.

Now this part might offend some people here and I'm sorry. But my 2 granddaughters live with their Nana, Granny, 2 uncles and dad sometimes. Everyone in that house smokes. In the house, too. All day those kids are in this house with smoke. They smell just like they smoke, too. It's in their hair, it's on their clothes. It's nasty. No matter how long they stay here with me, I cannot get the smell out of their clothes or hair. It makes me so mad. They even pray to God to help them all stop smoking. It's so pitiful. And I've mentioned it so many times to them all about the smell and what it's doing to their health. They are always sick, too. They don't care, or they wouldn't do it. It's just that simple, they do not care. And they smoke in the car with them in it, too. Another thing I just cannot tolerate.

I am sorry if I hit a nerve with someone here, but I just had to say something about smoking and children. I believe they get just as much smoke in their little bodies as the person smoking does. Even if you don't smoke around them, it's still on your clothes and hair.

So I have to say how happy I am for you, Jamie, that you have made this huge descision to stop smoking. Just changing a few things here and there, doing things at different times so you won't be tempted is a good thing. Staying very busy, too. Lots of hand work. So keep it up and know there are so many people pulling for you all who are on this hard journey. You are not alone out there. You can use this forum like AA has the sponsers. That helps, too.

Lots of good luck on its way to you all! Kris

I'm sorry this is so long. And please don't take any of this the wrong way. It's just my opinion and not to be taken personally at all.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:33:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh thanks Kristin and Alee and EVERYONE!!!!! I agree with everything Kristin! Especially the children part. I never smoked around Zach but I felt bad when I would smell of a cig and then get around him. I never have to worry about that again though. I get mad at my step-son's mother for that reason though. She will smoke in the car with Billy and he already has breathing problems and is now using an inhaler. GRRRR.

OK, so I just got back from the gym....I only ran a mile or so [about 14 minutes] and then I came back home. But I feel good, like I did something for me......And actually I wasn't panting like a dog! I could breathe!!!

Edited by - simplyflowers on Jan 02 2009 08:35:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile
I am now going to get a cup of Lipton black tea..... and balance the bank account...then take a nice quiet bath!! [kids and DH went to an air and space museum in Dullus, VA] ahhh quiet..

Then I might finish my book...."The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln"...it's a good book!

Thanks for all the support [I need it]!!! I can't believe I've been able to come this far!! WOW!!

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  04:03:32 AM  Show Profile
[I hope I don't aggrivate people by continually posting here....but there is some strength in it foor me I guess...]

So, Morning #3! Still going strong. Overall ysterday was the hardest day [even harder than the first and I'm not sure why..?]. However, I did not cave. And I will not cave. I won't let myself down. I like the fresh smell...and being able to smell more....

Well, I'm getting ready for a semi-relaxed workout at the gym [don't want to be to overzelous and not want to do it after a couple of days]...

p.s. having a cup of coffee was a breeze this morning.....I only really thought about a cig for a moment....then I blocked it out!

Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  04:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Jamie,
YOU CAN DO IT! Hang in there girl. Will it be easy? Maybe not. But you can and will do it.

My husband quit cold turkey two years ago Nov. 18th. He had a very serious accident at work and almost lost his arm. In fact, going into surgery they(the Dr's) give us very little hope that they could save the arm. Several hours later when the Dr.s came out of surgery they were very pleased that they had saved the arm, but told us/him with as much nerve damage as he had his only hope would be to quit smoking. They said smoking is very bad on the blood flow. He knew how serious his arm was damaged and wanted to keep that arm...even if it never worked right. Well, he did quit, cold turkey. Today over 2 yrs later he is back at work, with almost full range of motion and use of that arm and hand. Thank God. He said sometimes even if just a split second he would have the urge to smoke but he said it passed very quickly and the urges very seldom came. He said being smoke free was wonderful!

Just hang in there.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Jan 03 2009 04:34:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Well, back from the gym.....It was a quick one. I ran harder than i had anticipated but it wasn't hard. I gave myself a limit because I don't want to burn out at all....BEING SMOKE FREE IS WONDERFUL!! WHO KNEW!!??

Thanks Jem! :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:21:14 AM  Show Profile
One more day added to your smoke-free life!!!! Yeah for you, Jamie! Keep it up!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, Girl, if you have made it this far, you're on the right road! I also read something about smokers and how the cigarettes can really affect your senses. Someone said something about being able to smell things more clearly, which I'm sure all those little sniffer cells are clogged with smoke, and I also read about smokers usually end up with higher blood pressure because they tend to use much more salt than they would if they didn't smoke. They also use more sugar and that also contributes to worse teeth, and all because the taste buds aren't working properly from smoke/tar/etc clogging the receptors.

I know you'll do good. It's a mind game, a self control game. And honestly, it's the Devil playing tricks with you. He wants you to smoke and be miserable, it makes him happy, happy that you are destroying the body God gave you. Don't give in! God gave you that wonderful body for a reason, and he wants to see you take good care of it.

I smoked from about 15/16 to 23. Even though it wasn't a life long habit, I had the same realization as you that it is gross and unhealthy. So I told myself this:
"If you can make it a few hours without a smoke, you can make it a full day, because a full day is really only a few hours x 2."
"If you can make it a day without smoking, you can make it another day."
"You went all day yesterday without a cigarette, why do you need one today?"
"if you haven't had a cigarette in three days, what makes you need one today? you can go three more days!"

See, you've made it so far, just think...that's half a week! If you've come this far, and can repeat what you've accomplished, you will have made it a whole week!

I know you can do it!
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile
I only just started the Wellbutrin on the 1st and it seems to be starting to work already. I only had 6 smokes today and normally I would have had 15 or so by now. I had set my quit date for the 10th but I may be able to do it sooner. Woohoo!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  03:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lisa!! How great!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! I CAN DO IT!!!! This has been much better than I thought it would ever be. I'm on morning #4....had my coffee and am getting ready to head off to the diner for weekend work.. [I'm a waitress] I'm a little worried that it will be a hard day because it is an all smoking resturant and everyone that works there smokes. [i only work there on the weekends though] BUT I CAN DO IT!!! I will just keep really busy even when the customers are slow!! I'll post again around 3pm or so when I get off work and truely let everyone know how it went today.....I WILL NOT GIVE IN!!! I may get cranky....but i will not let that little cig kick MY butt!!! WooHoo!

{hugs to all} ~Jamie~

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  03:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie you are doing awesome! Soon the smoke smell will be absolutely repulsive to you! Yesterday was probably harder as you body was probably purging the rest of the nicotine. I have heard that it only lingers for about 3 days and then it is the mental addiction that you have to kick. So you made it over the hump! That is awesome!

Remember to drink lots of water! Help you body flush out after today at work.

Lisa- That is awesome! Keep up the good work! I know you can kick this! Your life is just changing for the better each second! Do you feel like a butterfly that just now is coming out of her cocoon?! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, that is so neat! Day 4, who'd have thought you would be on day 4 without a smoke. This will be the big test for you today, being aroung all the other smokers. I will be thinking about you today. I am thinking it's going to make you sick to in all the smoke. You'll probably get a headache, too. So when you get home, jump in the shower so you can get the stench out of your hair! You'll feel much better after that. Good luck, girl. You'll be fine!

And Lisa Marie, my thoughts and prayers are with you, too. You are so strong to even be able to do such a big thing while going through all you are right now. You will be able to do this because you really are wanting to do it. And now's a good time too. Jan. 10th is a good day to quit smoking! Who knows, it may even be before the 10th now!

Keep it up, ya'll!!! Kris

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page