Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Anybody else trying to stop smoking?......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic
Page: of 5

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Jamie, My husband smoked for about 35 yrs. He quit, cold turkey, it will be 2 yrs in November. He had a very serious accident at work and almost lost his arm. Broke both bones and cut the arm almost off (only about 2 inches left holding his arm on) They (the team of Dr's that reattached the arm) told him that there was no way the arm would mend if the continued to smoke. Smoking causes the blood flow to slow and they told him he would need very good free flow for the vesseles to mend. The accident happened about 7:30 in the morning and he has not smoked one since. Did he want one? Yes, in fact, it was rough being at home and not able to work. But he knew if he wanted to keep that arm he had to try and he done it and you can too. He is so thankful that he is no longer a smoker. In fact, he thanks God daily. Hang in there girl. It is worth it. You and your family are worth it. Take it one day at a time.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Jul 30 2008 7:23:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Marly~
If you ever need someone to vent to, just holler. It's great your friend is coming to visit. I'm sure you two will have loads of catchin up to do. You will be surprised at how much the two of you hangin out will keep your mind of the smoking. My mom never could understand how I could go hours sometimes I could even go a day without a smoke when I was out with Jeremy. I really quit for me and the kids, well and him and his son too. But he was a really great distraction at times to get me through it. (That is as long as we were out and about and anywhere but sittin at home doin nothin.) I know this may sound kind of mean of him, but if I made a comment about how long it had been since I'd had a smoke, he would say shrug it off and tell me it wouldn't last. I know sounds mean, but he knows me so well. I hate to be told that I can't do something. I will do it out of spite every time. Me?? Stubborn??? Yeeaaahhhh.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jamie! How long has it been for you now since you quit? Eventually the cravings will let up and you won't miss that "friend" anymore.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Melanie:
Thanks for the kind reply post. I am thinking of quitting again. I may give you a shout! I am proud of you for quitting.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Melanie:
I forgot to ask you a question. You may not want to answer, and if you don't, I do understand. Did you gain any weight after you quit smoking? I don't have a weight problem.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Jamie - when I quit 4 years ago I attended online Nicotine Anonymous meetings. I found out so much about my addiction - it went way beyond the nicotine. Your cigarettes are your friend. The friend that is always there for you especially in those lonely, stressful times. I found out that I was stuffing a lot of emotions with my smoking - still do. Whenever there was an issue I did not want to deal with I'd go out on the porch and smoke. I went through a mourning period for my cigarettes and had a very hard time emotionally. You are doing great!!! Just keep up the good work. I have set my quit day for this coming Monday. I'll be using the patches and I'm sure I'll be knitting in the evening plus doing a lot of sewing. I found that I get so much more accomplished when I don't smoke! I don't have to take time for all those breaks during my day!

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  06:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie- You are doing awesome! Keep up the hard work! You are going to do this and never look back!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile
You can do it each day is a new day.

I quit 3 years ago.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Melanie!! I'm having a GOOD day!!! Zach has been with me all day, sweetly reminding of my goal. It is getting easier.......what a nice surprise too!!!! I wasn't expecting to be doing this well today!

Thanks for your story!! Everyone is so kind and inspiring!!!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like you are doing great Jamie! Zach is so lucky to have a momma that is so concerned about him!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Marly! That's ok we gals talk about everything. Everyone has aways told me that you put on weight when you stop smoking. And yeah I did. I put on about 25 ppunds. OUCH!! But I also have a bad sweet tooth and cigarettes used to be my comfort "food". So no smoke meant a big chocolate chip cookie. If you can find other ways to comfort your emotions in stressful times and aren't a junk-aholic like me I don't think you'll have a real problem with weight gain. I've been a big girl since my kiddos were born. I never totally dropped all my baby weight so I wasn't too concerned with putting a little on. I put on a little more than I hoped, but... Now I just need to muster up the same will power to quit my junkin as I had with the no smokin. *sigh*

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
What great news Jamie!! Enjoy your day!
I hope you have many more of them.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  7:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Jamie,
I was a smoker. I smoked for 6 years and quit using the patches... then i started again.... I became pregnant and that was it for me it was time to quit again! I quit cold turkey! that is the only way to do it. If you quit with helps than you are 50% more likley to start smoking again in the first year than if you do it on your own. least that is what i was told and it seems just about right for me. i am still a QUITER!!!!!!!! Kristy
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow I have been gone awhile. I quit Jan. 30th 2006. I took the Chantixfor three months. I had smoked for 12 years. I gained weight but my lungs feel better.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
My two sons made me so miserable with my smoking that I quit cold turkey after smoking for almost 20 years. I celebrated my 23rd year of not smoking in March of this year. It was hard and I haven't had a cigarette since. If I did, I'm sure I would be hooked again.

Bless my kids. They are great.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Alright....I'm ready for the whoopin! I fell off the wagon yesterday as it was my first day back to work again! I was disappointed with me about the whole thing! But I'm back on the wagon today! Starting from square one! Sorry guys. It won't happen again!!!!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no, Jamie! Well, this time will be even better! You are doing great to get right back on the Quitting Wagon. I know you can do it! Try to avoid situations where you would smoke. If you have to go outside to smoke when at work, try staying inside and doing something else. Maybe pick up something like tatting, knitting, or crocheting? Not only will you keep your hands busy, but you will keep your mind busy as well! With the added bonus of making something beautiful as you stomp down and defeat your addiction!

*big hugs!* I _know_ you can do this! Keep up the good work!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  1:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Jamie:
Hang in there. We are only human. Melanie and Aimee had great advice on weight gaining when one stops smoking. Thanks for that. I'm not worried about gaining weight. It seems when I chat with others about quitting, that's the first thing I usually hear. You girls are correct. Betty! Hurray for you. A strong woman. Jamie, keep us posted. Call out to these girls, they'll help you. I'll do my best to help out, too!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is it going, Jamie?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, it's wonderful that you've made the decision to be a nonsmoker. I did the same thing about twenty years ago, with the help of the nicotine patches that had just come out (prescription only). Because of the patches, which step you down gradually, I never really had a moment of serious nicotine craving. All I had to worry about was finding something else to do with my hands and mouth besides smoking, like while watching TV or working at the computer, and so on. Please think of what you're doing not so much as quitting something as beginning something better. A lot better. You'll love being clean. And it will be an accomplishment you can look back on with pride for the rest of your life. Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I stopped 16 years ago.....and started again last month YIKES!!
I know, me bad. But while on vacation visiting my brother and his partner in Thailand last month, the cigarettes just called my name DUH!
SO I started again, but I DO feel better with them, less stressed. And I have had a lot of stress in my life the past 6 or more years.
I know, excuses, excuses :D

"As you become secure in God's love, you will discover that you need not surrender to the opinions and judgments of others. GOD IS FOR YOU!" ~
Unknown

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  11:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy:
Stress will do it. Happened to me. I know without a doubt that smoking is not good. Every day I start out counting, trying, etc... I'm going to get my strength, or try, from Jamie. I'm reading her posts as often as I can. Today, I've had 3, and it's almost 2 PM. It's hard! Hang in there Dutchy.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I will, thanks!

I might quit again, some day. But not yet, duh!

Hugs

"As you become secure in God's love, you will discover that you need not surrender to the opinions and judgments of others. GOD IS FOR YOU!" ~
Unknown

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  05:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gals!
Stress is a pain in the butt!!! I did ok this weekend....just ok though.. I work at my family's diner on the weekends and it is an all smoking resturant! And to put the icing on the cake...everyone that works there smokes as well! Oh the temptaion was to great. I did have one sat. and then one on Sun. But I guess it is better than when I started this topic, b/c at that time it wasn't uncommon for me to smoke a whole pack in one day....

I need to be stronger, I can't let that little cigarette control my life!!

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  05:27:06 AM  Show Profile
I sometimes feel like I need to get a handle on the stressors in my life too. I guess the cig helps me hide behind the stress. Or so I think. Cause when I get back in from the garage....The problem is still there inside even when the cig is smoked and gone into the ashtray. The stress and problem doesn't go into the ashtray...the smoke just hides it for the time the cig is burning.....

Jamie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page