Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Anybody else trying to stop smoking?......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic
Page: of 5

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am! And "trying" is the word. But am I really trying, or am I trying to make excuses as to why not to quit? I'm not sure. I could go to the doctor and get something to help......but I want to be strong enough to do this on my own. My son is almost 20 months old, I NEVER smoke around him. But I want to quit now b/c I don't want Zach to ever remember me smoking.

I remeber my dad smoking, he would always say "do as I say...not as I do." Well that didn't work, b/c I picked up his dirty habit when I turned 18. Now I'm 26, AND I WANT TO STOP!!!

Is anyone else going through this problem? Just wondering if there could be a support group here of women going through the same thing I am.

Thanks,
Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:52:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry and truly pulling for you, Jamie! I am not a smoker, never have been, but my father was and actually, sadly, it killed him. My husband just quit smoking last year, cold turkey. Actually, it was year in March, so we're a little over now. He COMPLETELY just quit and it was actually a bit easier than he thought--we had some rough patches where he just flipped out now and again, but overall, he was fine, and never even wanted a cigarette again. I think it was a "fixture" for him, and he's a server/bartender, so there's smokers everywhere. The only thing I remember was that we couldn't talk about it--I couldn't ask him how he was doing because it would overthrow the balance or something ;)

Give it a shot, but it's a hard row to hoe...and if you need the tools that are out there to help,use them. Just think about the final goal and how great you'll feel!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:56:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't smoke but I am pulling for you and wish the best for you. My issue is losing weight. I've tried for years and can't. I'm gonna see my doctor in August about it. I admire your attitude but remeber that asking for help isn't a sign of weakness! I think it takes more strength to ask for help than it does to go it alone! You go girl!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  07:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks!! I'm realllllllly going to do it! Next week, I have off from work. I will be with Zach all week. I'm going to take that opportunity to reflect on the reason I need to depart from the addition to smoking, and start an addition to living to take it's place.

I have to agree Jonni, when I have tried before and my husband would ask how it was going, it was like I was rehashing the feeling of it all. It was unbearable. So he just doesn't really talk about it. Although, he is always thinking about it....I know.

Julie, I really wish the best for you. Weight is a struggle throughout the family. I am the smallest of all the family members on my mom and dad's sides. I gaining weight a few years back but after time was able to lose it. I had to change everything I thought and did when it came to food. But I still struggle...

Thanks for the support. I need it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  07:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm pulling for you too, Jamie. Keep thinking of Zach. Not just about being there to see him grow up, but seeing his children grow up, too. Like Jonni and Julie say, use help if you need help. I've lost a long list of loved ones to smoking related illnesses. We're here to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Well...funny you should ask....I have been a smoker since I was 17 and I'm going to be 60 next year so I am definitely the one to talk to. I have quit several times and then somethng stressful would happen and I would start again...I had quit for 3 months and then went up north to visit my family and started again....that was several weeks ago and I have 2 cigs left and then I bought the nicotine patches and will use them. I have used the patches in the past and they have really helped me "jumpstart" quitting because otherwise I can't focus AT ALL! Take all the help you can but the patches have really helped me quit over time. Starting again was my choice when I just "didn't care" ....not a good attitude to have but you have a great motivator...your child but I would definitely recommend the patches. They cost but so do the cigs and that is the only way I have ever been able to really quit for any length of time! And I have quit for years at a time. Good luck and keep in touch with me..email me if you want. Some other "tricks" I've used is to take a full ashtray and put it in a jar with a lid and when you're tempted to smoke, open the jar and take a whiff! Also, maybe have a healthy snack available..popcorn, pretzels or something you can snack on when you have the "urge", also I always make sure I have a needlework project to pick up in the evening when I go to "sit"...that's the hard time for me...I'm okay as long as I stay busy but in the evening when I want to relax that's when I want them. Hope this helps! You CAN do this and actually...knowing I'm not alone quitting is going to help me too! You Go Girl!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sandra. It's good to know that you're here too!!! I already feel a little strong about the whole thing. I'm going to do that jar thing! That sounds like something that might get me through a fit. The last time I quit, it only lasted two days, by the end of the two days.....My husband looked me square in the face and said "LOOK, EITHER YOU RUN TO THE STORE AND BUY A PACK...OR I WILL BECAUSE I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!" And of course he was talking about my attitude which he couldn't take...although, everything I complained about in those two days was valid (but maybe....just maybe....I could have been nicer about it..). I felt bad about making him feel that way. Snacks are good to for fighting that craving...

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:11:59 AM  Show Profile
First pick a day 3 weeks away or so then only smoke in the most awful of places say the garage some place that is far enough away that is a real pain to go to. I got a cd that was a stop smoking meditation. I also kept a straw about cigarette size and used that to get over the really tought times. I did this 3 years ago and havn't looked back. But I also just threw out the last pack of cigaretts I had bought about 6 months ago. The thing is every day is a new day try try again. Thing of all the time you spend away from that baby that you won't ever get back.

Good luck Diana
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile
I did one private hypnotherapy session in January...and have not even had an urge to smoke. It's the strangest thing.....not one urge...desire...longing. None of that!!! I lucked out in finding the lady.....and one important part of my success is that I was waaaaay ready to quit. I smoked for years...but had always been a, shall I say, "polite smoker". None of the people I worked with knew I smoked......and I never smoked in my house, nor did anyone else. Never in the car, and I even sat in the non smoking section in restaurants.
So I have been smoke free for 6 months...and I know in my heart I will NEVER smoke again.

Good luck to you.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Ciao, Kate

Farmgirl sister

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile
I took Chantix. I suggest it to anyone who wants to quit. I tried for my kids, for my health what ever. Everytime I would go back. I rarely have cavings and have even took a puff the one time I have drank since quitting, I thought I was going to die.

Getting help is not a weakness, its you beigh strong enough to say you need it.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  10:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Aimee
How long did you have to take the Chantix? Tell me how long ago you quit. Hang in there Jamie.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  8:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, I am trying to quit also!!! My husband quit 6 months ago and I am still trying. I know what you are talking about 'trying'. I so often think okay if I am going to do this why don't I just do it! I really wish I had never started, but I did! I have quit a few times, but I always seem to fall back into it. I am trying to change my habits such as my morning coffee and cigarette before I start waking up the kids. My son tells me to get the stuff on t.v. with the rabbit and turtle because if I take it I will quit. Smart kid!!!! I would be totally up for supporting one another!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  8:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi All!!! I'm actually doing ok! I feel like I'm getting stronger about it. I have really been reflecting as to WHY I need to quit. B/c without thinking of the "why", I never really come to terms with wanting to quit.

How is it going Monica????

Jamie
P.s. Been out of the loop for a couple of days....I'm on vacation at home with Zach and LOVING OUR TIME TOGETHER!!!! (Even more, It's helping me think of that "WHY"!!!!!!)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay Jamie! Keep going for that sweet baby of yours!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  01:09:51 AM  Show Profile
I am a smoker too! I have tried to quit 5 times. But today I decided that I'm quitting for good. I found out that my 14 year old daughter has been sneaking cigarettes from me and smoking!! I caught her when I came home tonight. It really hit home that I'm not setting a good example for her and anyone in my family. How can I tell her not to smoke and continue to do so myself? Tomorrow will be day 1. I do have nicotine patches but it's still hard. I'm determined this time!

Kate - I smoke exactly like you. Never in my house, sit in non-smoking (although all of WA is non-smoking), try to be careful around non-smokers, etc. I hate the smell and the way I smell when I smoke. Makes me wonder why I still have this nasty habit.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 29 2008 01:13:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Keep going, Jamie! You can do it!

You can do it too, Kay. And so can you, Monica.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I feel EVEN stronger today!!!! Although, I have had my moments (just ask my husband!) I have had to AVOID COMPLETELY!!! the store that I always buy them from....I don't feel stong enough that I would be able to drive by there and not stop. I haven't even been on that road at all. I hope I get through the rest of the day...I think I can! We shall see?!?!?!

Thanks for all the needed support!
Jamie

Oh....P.s..To the gals that are trying to quit....I have noticed that the cravings do actually pass. It takes a moment or five but they do pass!! I have to keep busy!!!and they seem to juyst go away. However, they come back....BUT THEY DON'T LAST FOREVER!!! WOW! I'm glad!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Kate:
I am a polite smoker. I try to quit time and time again. Maybe the hynotist could help me, too. If something stresses me out the first thing I reach for is the darn cigs. I have quit for two years, silly me.
I will be reading Jamie's postings. She is being very strong about quitting, and I'm sure she'll quit. Good luck to you Jamie. Keep us posted.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to add something about being a "Polite Smoker". I would much rather be an XXXXXXXX-smoker. But, I don't smoke in front of anyone that doesn't, or that has quit. I know how hard that must be.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:34:48 PM  Show Profile
I am just like you Marly...when stress hits - I go for the cigs. I am a polite smoker. My hubby and I both smoke but not in the house, if we smoked in the house I would probably smoke more than I do. Good luck to all you gals who are stopping!!!! Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just had a test......It is my anniversary! WootWoot! As a gift from my parents, they took us to dinner at a very upscale resturant in Fredericksburg. Oh of course the meal was rediculously good and filling!.....And what tops off a ridiculously good and filling meal....A CIG OF COURSE!!! But I fought it tooth and nail...and commented on my husband's driving (it was just he and I in the car) all the way home...He would just glance at me and grin (he's so understanding!).

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Jamie... Good for you... Take it one hour at a time if you need to do that..
My father quit the day he had a stroke..He lived 15 years longer..He did pass away 5 years ago with lung problems.* Due to 60+ years of smoking.
My hubby quit the day he said that cigareetes really didn't taste good. He identified his habit and fortunately quit . Unfortunately 4 months later he had a stroke.. ( due to smoking for years, and 6 months later he had a quadruple heart-by-pass due to smoking..) Fortunately he is Healthy today and coping with the medications needed to keep him that way.. He said he will always love the smellof fresh cigarette smoke, But can really smell things now & taste food. He stated to me and I encouraged him to take it one hour, then one day and on week at atime.. He has no regrets and I have a healthier husband! You go girl!

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jul 29 2008 6:20:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Jamie, Keep it up gal!! It's rough and can be even rougher.

My last smoke was Feb. 290 this year. My guy and I were going to Lexington, KY for the George Strait concert. Ok Lexington is about a 3 hour drive from where I live. My guy doesn't smoke and we were taking his truck. And of course there's no smoking in his truck either. I rented the room. Whenever we have gone out of town I always rented us a non-smoking room cause the smoke smell aggravated him and I figured if I really had to have one I could just run outside for a quick one. Well I made it the whole weekend with no problems. I decided to see how much longer I could go without one. I couldn't be on the computer much at all for like the first two weeks. That's where I would smoke the most. So I found other things to do. I cleaned out every closet and cabinet. Deep cleaned the house front to back, top to bottom. I was very snippy with everyone at times. My kids actually told me that it would be ok with them if I went back to smoking. I apologized to them and asked to tough it out with me that evenutally the grouchies would pass and we would all be better and have more money to boot.
Then we started looking at items around the house we wanted to replace and figuring out how many packs of cigs I had to go without to have the extra money to buy those things. I wanted new pillows for my bed. I know I'm a pillow hog. Just me and I have four pillows. Cheap pillows are $5/ea, my smokes were close to $5/pack. That didn't seem that bad. It was when we counted up how many packs of smokes there would be in a new loveseat. We figured $300 for a good loveseat. 60 packs. What really did it was when I realized that was how many cigs I smoked in 2 months. I was so upset with myself. To realize how much I had put mine and kids health through with the smoking and then to find out how badly I had hurt our finances too.

Stay strong and it will get better!!
Keeping you in my prayers,
Melanie

I had smoked as a teenager, quit when I was pregnant with my oldest, then took it back up when I left my ex. I smoked for 2 years. But now I've been smoke free for 5 months today!! Every now and then I will have a slight craving, but it doesn't last but a second. I feel so much better. I have always loved to sing along with radio in the car, but couldn't get through two songs without going into a major coughin fit. Before i quit I had a horrible cough, a cough I had had for 6 months, now it's gone. I sing and sing and sing with the radio. I don't think the kids are so crazy about it, but oh well.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  05:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Well....day 2 of completely not smoking although before I went north I had gone 85 days via the patch from the beginning. I am back on the patch now and crocheting in the evening to keep my hands busy...that's the hardest time for me when I sit in the evening. As long as I keep busy and "break" that cycle/habit with the patch I am usually good to go...and of course as long as there is no stress in my life LOL!!!!! Ha! Ha!
Good luck everyone and God bless those who have already gone through this and are non-smokers!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile

Hi All,

I really do have to count the hours.....but I'm counting....and it is doable. However, it is so weird. It's like I'm missing a friend or something. Addiction is rough. I just keep cleaning, walking, spending time with Zach....and things are ok. Having the extra $$ a week is nice...not worrying about how to afford the habit. My husband is proud of me too. I think I have walked over 4 miles in the last 2 days. It helps pass the craving.

Thanks for the support. It's still needed!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  6:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Melanie:
I loved your post! Congrats to you. I wish I could say I quit smoking five months ago. I love George Strait. I'm going to save that post of yours, and everytime I smoke I'm going to read it. It was just so positive. Full of strong advice. Thanks for that. My best college friend is coming in from Wisconsin this Friday. She'll be visiting for about four days. She doesn't smoke. So, I will be on my best behavior with the cigs. I respect people who don't smoke. I'll keep your post handy to read often.
Have a great day. You have inspired me. Thanks.
Marly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Family Matters: Previous Topic Anybody else trying to stop smoking?...... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page