Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Brooke,

Starting out with a simple project like this Friendship Quilt will be a good place to start. The lines are all straight and the blocks are easy on the eyes. The main thing that I do in the sewing process of a block like this is when I am matching up seams, I turn the top seam to the right and the bottom seam to the left. This "nests" the seams right on top of each other and makes all the corners on the front side meet up perfectly.

I was diagnosed with CFS and Fibromyalgia after my immune system destroyed my platelets last year and I nearly died. It was scary to say the least.

Brenda, as far as colors go, I am a great fan of scrap quilts, and for this first project, we could allow each one to choose colors for their blocks that say something about themselves. You know, like if you are a passionate person, use shades of red. If you are happy and optomistic, use yellow. If you are "of royal blood" :)), use purple. I don't know, just an idea that popped into my head. But if we all contributed what different colors mean to us here on this forum, we could choose our colors that way. Then the completed project would truly be a reflection of who each of us are. What do ya'll think?

Well, I'm off to get the kids to bed early, and then I am going to try to get some sleep myself. I did finally sleep last night, but woke up several times. So, maybe tonight will be better.

Good snoozes to one and all!!
k

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh yea...we could even us some of those cute novelty fabrics that you see everywhere....each of us could choose a novelty that represents something about us.

Ok, Ok...I'm off to bed!!
k

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Kay...Oh, dear...was it you that had Fibro & CFS?! Where did I get Kate having it... or do you both? Or is it my fibro fog I still have. ;)

You make it sound really easy. lol. I hope it is. I am going to go back and see what is necessary for the project again .. I can be in on the HOTtie project if I am not signed up for the sisterhood yet?!???

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  01:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Hotties:

Yea, Caron...I'm with Brooke. Can she and I participate in the Friendship Quilt project even if we aren't in the henhouse yet?? I sure hope we can.

Brooke...yea...CFS and Fibro both. Sort of been a hard year physically and emotionally. It has been hard that I have had to face that I am just a shadow of what I used to be. But my husband and children are great. All very supportive and caring. Right now, I am attempting to change over from the prescription drugs the Doc has had me on to all herbs and supplements. I am sure this has accounted for a good deal of my sleeplessness of late. But having been a midwife and practicing herbalogist for 28 years, I am sure you can understand how difficult it has been for me to take prescription drugs this whole time. And although we needed the rain so badly, it caused much pain in my body. That brain fog can be something else, can't it??!!!!! I am amazed how I can't remember where I put something, and, at times, have to read something three and four times before it sticks. But I am thankful to be alive, considering the alternative!! ;) And I know that this "curve ball" the Lord threw my way was for the sole purpose of slowing me down.

You will find this quilt an easy one. But beware....once the quilt bug bites, it is the most cheerful of addictions one can suffer from...and there is no escape!!!! Once this bug lays hold of you, no piece of fabric, or shirt, skirt, etc. is immunne from the scissors.

They say that quilters must be nuts...we are the only people who take up a big piece of fabric and cut it into little pieces just to sew them back together into a big piece of fabric....lol lol!!!!!!!

Well, it may be 3 am but I am off to my sewing machine. I teach a bunch of third grade girls on Wednesday nights, and all the teachers are having a big meeting on Saturday. I need to finish the skirt I plan to wear.

Here's to a morning cup of tea...and a cheery wish for a great day to you all
k

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Hotties, any of you who are not in the Henhouse are members of the Heart of Texas Farmgirls just the same so you are welcome to join in anything we are doing, at any time.
Really, this forum is more our meeting place than the Henhouse so that everyone can join in.
Anything posted in the Henhouse will also be posted here, so no one will miss anything.
So, if you're interested in the friendship quilt project, let AngiKay know and she'll put you on the list of those working on the quilt blocks!

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

stitchinchickin
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Jan
Conroe Texas
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Send stitchinchickin a Yahoo! Message
Hi my name is Jan and I am new as of yesterday - found you guys and I am from Conroe, Texas. I am still trying to figure out how to do everything. JUST SAY.... I was interested in the friendship quilt project - how long do we have to complete it?
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Kay, I totally understand. The rain just kills me! Sometimes I call it arthritis because it's easier to say ...but actually, I am a little confused 'cause I thought I had got it under control .. but then this rain has been killing me lately. Ah, well, just when I think I understand Fibro and CFS (and my hereditary thing) at all,
I feel even more confused.

well, I have a ton of those quilt squares from Nanny just begging to be done something with, although, I have a feeling this project doesn't call for those ... lol... I'm a little nervous to start because I will get addicted. :P

Jan! Welcome! I know exactly where Conroe is at. lol! In fact, I go up there every weekend.

~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  12:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jan...and welcome to the Farm!!!
I have a niece who lives in Conroe...and last week I gave her my Mary Jane magazines...told her to look through them and check out the site. I told her there were probably a few gals from Conroe, but just wasn't sure. Anyhoo...welcome!

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

stitchinchickin
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Jan
Conroe Texas
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Send stitchinchickin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the warm welcome - maybe she will fall in love with Mary Jane and join the group!
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  7:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Caron, Yes all you Hotties that want to do the quilt let me know and I will see how many we have to do it therefore deciding how many blocks we will each have to make and we will enjoy Kay to give us any advice and tips she can. Sept is just around the corner so let me know and I will make a list, get the pattern copied and send it to each one of you.

Sorry I have not been around a couple of days- we are getting ready for Back to school!

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  11:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
How much is a rotary cutter?? I want to join in but I am a little intimidated. lol.

~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  07:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Brooke,
I just bought my rotary cutter yesterday at WalMart for $10.98. It is a Fiskar's brand. There are some that are a little bit more and some for less. I went for the middle of the road and also bougt a small cutting mat for $8.78. Last night I practiced on some scrap fabric. Boy, does it cut nice! :O) I'm a little intimated too, but there are several of us who haven't quilted so it will be fun learning together. :O) So please join!

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  07:49:20 AM  Show Profile

Welcome Jan!! Glad you found us! I look forward to getting to know you...

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  08:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jan- Great to have you with us! You will love it here and there is so much to learn. Grab some iced tea and let's see what fun things we can do today! hugs

www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  09:29:07 AM  Show Profile
AngiKay, how long will we have to complete our blocks?

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Caron, I think we should do the project as our Sept. project as you suggested and then get them to I by the end of Sept and then I can send them out. I have not thought this all through, it's been a while since I have done one of these. Depending on how many we have sign up depends on how many blocks each person makes then when the blocks are given back you each will have however long it takes to complete your quilt. Some may work faster than others. Does that make sense? When I know how many will be signing up I can make copies of the pattern.

www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  2:35:16 PM  Show Profile
O.K. I'll do my best!
I was looking at some cute novelty fabrics today. How much fabric would we need, lets say for two blocks each, and how many different fabrics are used on a block? I don't have any good fabric stores near me, so I might order some fabric from online.

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  3:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Caron, LOL You are ready to go- huh?! I so on my land want to have a place for others to come and spend the weekend and quilt, scrapbook whatever. I really wish I had that now!

FRIENDSHIP QUILT - OK LADIES HERE GOES.

I scanned the pattern into my computer. This is what the instructions say. Each block in the quilt is made with Muslin and one Calico fabric. ( so yes I guess we could each pic our own calico fabric) *remember to prewash all fabrics before starting* Make each block using a different color Calico and mix the different colored blocks in the completed quilt. Cut out Muslin pieces D, and have them signed iwth a laundry marking pen before you sew the squares. (this is where with the blocks we create we will sign all the ones we do) BLOCK SIZE: 7" QUILT SIZE: 39 1/2 X 46 1/2 BLOCKS REQUIRED: 12 EACH BLOCK REQUIRES: white muslin fabric-2 of pattern A 4 of pattern B 12 of pattern C 1 of pattern D **CALICO FABRIC-8 OF pattern A 4 of pattern D.
Yardage 44" wide ...........white : 1 1/2 yard blue: 1 1/2 yard (outside border) Beige: 1/2 yard (inner border) rose: 1/2 yard (inner border) calico: less than 1/4 yard for each block backing: 1 1/2 yard batting: 43" x 50"

OK SO NOONE GET WORRIED IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE ONE BEFORE - WE WILL ALL BE HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER AND GO SLOW.

www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter

Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  06:47:59 AM  Show Profile
HEY HOTTIES;

Sorry for the silence these last few days. I got the kids going back on their schoolwork last week, along with the district meeting (and set up and tear down) on Fri and Sat, then was in Waxahachie all day Sunday for a baby shower for my daughter-in-law, who is expecting our third grandbaby in a few weeks. I was expecting to be home all day yesterday, but got a call from my oldest daughter in Ennis about 9 am, and she just really needed a day with her mom. So, by noon, I was out the door again, and didn't get home until late last night.

So...a belated WELCOME

Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  06:50:43 AM  Show Profile
OPPS...I hit the submit reply button before I was ready!!!!!

Anyway....a belayed WELCOME to you Jan

I am looking forward to the Friendship Quilt, and will begin looking through my stash of fabric to see what I have that will work.

Can't 'talk' much this morning...need to try to catch up with the house and kids from yesterday. But ya'll have a great day...and I will check in later
k

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello Hotties! I had baby-sitting duty for my great niece Addison today. She's a cutie!
AngiKay, I had printer trouble but this morning I was finally able to print off the instructions to the Friendship Quilt. Now I just need to wrap my brain around it, and get the supplies for it and I'll get started. Good thing we like primitive things here at MaryJanes because I have a feeling my blocks will be primitive (and that's being optimistic). LOL!
Am I right that I will need to enlarge the blocks from what I printed off? And will the finished block consist of all the parts shown in step 7?
Is the calico material just for the backside?

I'll sit down and read the instructions over more tonight...

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:20:02 PM  Show Profile
OK Hotties,
I'm known by my family as being an "airhead" sometimes, I can't see where the pattern is? Caron, did you print an actual pattern? I see the instructions AngiKay gave, but where do we go for the pattern? Please help this "airhead". :O) I can't wait to get started. Do we know how many blocks to make yet?

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, she sent it to me. I thought it went to everyone already, but she may not have gotten to everyone yet. She'll be sending it to everyone who wants to do a quilt block, so if you want to do one, she'll get the pattern to you soon!
Sorry for the confusion!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Caron! No problem. I'm glad I'm not such an airhead after all, well...not this time anyways! LOL! :O)

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile
No I did not give it to everyone, I told those taht were interested to email me and I would send it to them. I need to start a list to see how many blocks we are going to make anyway. Hotties let me know. hugs

www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Texas Chapter? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page