Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile
AngiKay, what are the designs on the quilt blocks? Like Brenda, I have never quilted before so if these are something a total beginner could do and if the designs are not really modern, I could work on them as I sit in camp during our reenactments.
How long would we have to finish them? Remember, I know nothing about quilting so I am sure I'd be really slow.

Caron

"What a mighty God we serve!"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Caron- Here is a pic. It says on the back. For over 150 yrs. the Friendship Quilt has been used to celebrate special events in the lives of quilters. Teh hand signed squares personalize the quilt which might celebrate a birth, wedding, anniversary, farewell or family history. Requiring only basic sewing techniques this quilt project is one in which family and friends can participate included are directions to enlarge the quilt to any size.

it's really basic squares, and I think the signatures would celebrate our TX chapter.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  1:41:03 PM  Show Profile
That's cute! I like that!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  4:26:07 PM  Show Profile
That is cute! I think I could handle that. :O)

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Hotties:

Sorry for the long silence. I stuggle with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and these past few weeks have been sort of hard. But I finally got the children's schooling organinzed and got them going again...and that was load off my plate!!

I am a long time quilter, making my first quilt in 1981 right after the birth of my first baby. I would love to help with the Friendship quilt blocks. For those of you who are new to quilting, you will find this pattern very easy....full of straight stitching lines. One of the reasons that this pattern is so often used for Friendship quilts is because the ease of the pattern accomadates those with little or no sewing experience. So rest at ease you new stitchers....this pattern is not scary or hard. As with any quilt block, the most important, first step that eases the construction of every part of a block, is to cut accurately each square. If you are accurate in your cutting, all the pieces fit together like they were born to be together.

Do I have to join the henhouse to join in on the Friendship quilt?

It has rained here a ton since yesterday afternoon. Hope those of you who need the rain are finally getting it.

Hey Caron....how's the security system working out?

Take care ya'll
k

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kay,
Nice to meet you! Thanks for the helpful hints! I hope you won't mind if I have questions when we get started. What part of Ft. Worth are you? My husbands brother and kids live in Benbrook. We try to get up there at least 3 times a year. It rained some the first part of the week, but we really could use more! Take care...

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Brenda:

I am more than happy to help answer any questions you may have....and if I don't have the answers, we can laugh and figure it out together...sound good to you?

I live on the edge of Benbrook...how cool that you have family close to me. Maybe next time you come to visit we can meet up and grab lunch. Let me know when you will be in the area.

Be blessed
k

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Kay, the security system is working out quite well....we hardly ever remember to turn it on! LOL! It will be nice when we're away, though. Our pet sitter also has one so he will know how to turn it on and off,which will be nice.

Alright, if ya'll say the quilt is easy, then I will give it a try. Do I need one of those rotary cutters to cut out the squares?

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Kay,
I will definetely call you...we will be going up there sometime in the next couple of months for our niece's baby shower...can't believe I'm going to be a "Great" aunt! :O)

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Kay- That is great if you would help. If we don't get 12 TX farmgirls to sign up I guess we could each do 2 if there are 6 of us. I can copy all the patterns and scan them in to each one of you. I think it would be fun.

Heather, You are getting ready to get some good rain, it's coming from SA.

Brenda- You are getting that rain right now - huh?? !!

I am excited I am enjoying the rain.

www.angikay.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yep, getting the rain right now...the day I decide to run about 100 errands. I had to run up to Charlie's daycare with his nebulizer and the kids thought it was so cool he looked like a smoking dragon...ha!!

Off to sign up for school and then head to San Marcos...a Texas farmgal's work is never done...YEE HAW!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  8:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Caron:
You don't have to get a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat. You CAN cut the squares out the old fashioned way....with pencil, ruler and scissors. But I prefer a rotary cutter...the squares are more accurate, not to mention the time to cut is "cut" in half. After you buy the goods, practice first on some old fabric that won't hurt if you mess it up. With a little practice, it is so easy to use a rotary cutter, you'll be a pro in no time!!!

I love my security alarm system...he goes "woof, woof" :)) and as long as there is food in the bowl, I never have to worry about forgetting to turn him on!! ;)

AngiKay...just let me know how many folks you get involved for the friendship quilt...and count on me to help.

I have been so thankful for all the rain of late....at least until I went out back this morning. One of our largest trees, that was leaning over some, just went the rest of the way to the ground. :( I am so sorry to have to loose both the tree and its wonderful shade. We will have to cut it up for fire wood now....:((( I guess that is just the way it goes with nature sometimes!

love to ya'll
k

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  09:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks,Kay! The next time I go to town, I'll look for a rotary cutter and if I get it, start trying it on scrap fabric.
We have the "woof, woof" alarm system too. However we also have a neighbor who does not like our "woof woof" alarm, and has complained each time she barks at something, anything. Oh well.
Truthfully,we've got the indoor system and we'll use it sometimes, but I don't feel any more or less safe than before. It's just a nice thing to have I guess, and our insurance costs will reduce a bit, which is good.

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I am going to go get a rotary cutter too and practice. :O) I've been wanting one for other sewing projects. Lately I've been on an apron frenzy. I'm making aprons, matching pot holders and putting together a Family Heritage Cookbook for all my nieces, sisters and sister-in-law for Christmas gifts. The aprons are turning out really cute. I took one to work just to show some of the gals and I wound up with 8 orders!

We did receive quite a bit of much needed rain yesterday, like Heather it had to dump when I had errands to run all day! Even with my umbrella, I came home drenched!

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I was in your area again last night but it was 9p and I had to be at the airport or I would have emailed you. 8 orders! wow you go girl! You could have yourself a part time job, lol . I wanna see pics of your work. I love seeing what others are doing. Let me know after you all get your practice in and let's do the friendship quilt for the fall!

www.angikay.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  10:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Hotties:

Caron...so sorry to hear about your neighbor that doesn't like an old fashioned "woof, woof" alarm systems. Neighbors can be that way sometimes! We actually have two (and six puppies...any one want a pure-bred collie!!!???:))) The female is more "woofy" (is that a word??) than our male, but we love them both. We have been working with the pups to leash train them, and try to help them not to jump on us. But with all the rain, we haven't done anything since last week. We live on almost two acres in the city, so I don't worry too much about our "woofy" alarms causing an issue for others!!

I am up again tonight. This is two nights in a row. Seems as my body is healing from all it has been through this past year, I go through these stages where I just can't sleep. I am trying to use the time wisely...did six loads of laundry, and got my new coupon notebook organized last night. If sleep evades me again all night tonight, I will work on a quilt top for my new grandbaby expected in Sept. I really need to clean my desk, so we will see if I can get to that too.

Caron and AngiKay...you will love using the rotary cutter and mat. It changes the way you think about cutting out patterns. I have been using one since the early nineties, and am on my second or third round of mats. (they come in different sizes) And while the expense seems a little high compared to a good pair of sewing scissors, I wouldn't quilt or sew without the cutters and mats now. Saves me all kinds of time.

So, AngiKay, what are the colors you are thinking about for the quilt?? Can't wait to get it started. You know, I have been quilting since the early eighties, but I have NEVER done a friendship quilt. Can you tell I am excited??

Well, I best run for now....I hear that baby quilt calling my name.

Oh, Auntie Brenda, what neat thing to have happen for you...making aprons for sell. You keep it up!! I have been considering making custom tote bags for quite a while. If I do, I will post a pic here so ya'll can give me some feedback. Ok??

k

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  04:34:36 AM  Show Profile
AngiKay,
I will e-mail you my numbers so if you are in my area again and have some time you can call me. I am off on Monday's and Friday's and if it is on a day I work, you can always come there and I will give you a tour.

I will try to post pictures of my aprons this weekend. My husband 1/2 joking said, you should sell your aprons at Market Days and on the internet then maybe I can retire! :O) Yeah right!

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292

Edited by - Auntie Brenda on Aug 20 2008 04:48:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  04:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Hotties,

Caron, we have a Jack Russell "Terrorist" who barks at a leaf blowing by! :O) When we lived in the city, the neighbors would complain. So I know how it is. But now that we live out in the country with 9 acres, he can "woof woof" all he wants. :O)

Kay, I hope you can get some sleep tonight. I like the idea of getting feedback. When I post my pics of the aprons, I too would like feedback from you all.

I'm going to go to Wal-Mart today and get my rotary cutter and mat. I signed up for the mini apron swap and I think that will help me since I have to cut out 21 little aprons...

I'm off to get ready for work, have a great day!

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292

Edited by - Auntie Brenda on Aug 20 2008 04:50:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi all you H.O.T. sisters....
Sorry for my absence...and I'm soooo jealous I'm missing out on all the fun you ladies are seeming to have. I have been "fighting" with insurance for 6 months regarding some gnarly cataracts I have developed, waiting for them to determine "pre-existence"...or NOT. Well, they finally decided that they were NOT, so I took the plunge and had my cataracts removed, and Crystal-lens implants. The "early onset" of the cataracts is due to the many epidural blocks..with steroid...that I have been having on a pretty regular basis for my cervical spine and lumbar spine. It's kinda like going to the auto mechanic....he fixes one thing and then something else breaks down. I tell ya......getting old ain't for sissies or the faint of heart. LOL!!!!!
Anyhoo.......my sight has improved dramatically....going from being legally blind for the past 6 months, to being able to almost see a pimple on an gnats a$$. Still need some time for the two eyes to sync, as it's only been 2 and 3 weeks since the surgeries...but I might get away with just wearing "dime-store readers". I'm all about that since for I don't know how long, I've been wearing "tri-focals"...or what they call "progressive" eyewear. I knew something was up when I got glasses last October....and by mid November the prescription was no longer working for me. I went from being farsighted....to being really, really nearsighted in that time frame At $300.00 a pop for glasses......that get's expensive real quick.
If there are any of you who have had the surgery.....and have any insight....pardon the pun...please let me know. I am thrilled wih the results...but they are not quite what I was expecting. And I know that I'm still in the early stages of recovery....
I would love to participate in the Friendship Quilt...but I better not take on anything that I will be unable to finish at this juncture. I can't wait to be able to read and sew again. I just have to give it time.
I love reading all the posts......and am actually starting to feel like a "lurker"...as I have not contributed in a while.
And for the irony of the day...........Tomorrow I go and have a lumbar AND cervical spine epidurals. BUT...the good news is that with the artificial lens I WILL NOT develope cataracts again.
Hugs, Kate

Farmgirl sister

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  06:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kate,
Welcome back! It is so weird, I was thinking about you this morning! I was wondering where some of the Hotties have been. You were one of the first Texas Farmgirls to welcome me. :O) I am glad to hear your cataracts have been taken care of. I'm so thrilled that you want to be a part of the friendship quilt! Again, welcome back!

Hugs,

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  06:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Hotties! Hope everyone is feeling well this morning. Today, it is raining again so all my inside critters (basset hound and a couple of cats) are sleeping away the day. The basset is snoring loudly. LOL! The outside "alarm" dog and two other cats are safely tucked away in dry areas, sleeping too I would think.
I told my hubby that with it raining so much, there was no need in my even dressing today, just stay in my pajamas! But I'll probably dress anyway.
This will be a good day to work on a few little projects here in the house like re-stacking those paper/magazine piles that seem to form on any flat surface if I turn my back for a minute.
Hope you're having a good day today!

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  09:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I have been quilting for about 16 yrs on and off. I love to make tops and I am not good at binding. I have 2 different rotary cutters and 2 different mats and 3 different rulers. LOL I love all of them. They are much easier than scissors. I am not sure what colors to think of- I was thinking I would leave it up to the farmgirl sisters thinking it would be neat if all our different color scemes were in it. What do you think?

www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile
On colors I vote for putting in my favorite color,yellow,in there somewhere!

Hotties, lets make this friendship quilt our September Henhouse project. And for those Hotties who are not going to do the quilt, work on another handmade item in September!

Caron
H.O.T. Mama Hen

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Hey, everyone!

.... isn't there a Trace Adkins song about Hot Mamas?! lol

I inherited a TON of small quilting squares and such from my husband's grandmother (Nanny). I intend on at least making a baby blanket with it and I would like to get involved with the friendship quilt, but I have never quilted before! I think I am supposed to inherit her sewing machine and table .. from the 60's I believe.
It's not a very old one.

Any pointers?! I want to begin but I am overwhelmed. I could sew it by hand but because I have arthritis, I'd rather use the sewing machine. lol.

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  10:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
(Quintessential) Kate,
I had fibromyalgia but think I put it in check with a better diet and some other stuff. I still deal with CFS though(among other things - ugh). I am so sorry to hear this. :( It's so annoying and gets in the way with life!

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Texas Chapter? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page