Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Oh, how I've missed this sound!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oh, how I've missed this sound!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  6:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Trying not to make a big deal of it so he'll keep going....Jus is playing the guitar for the first time in about 5 months, since he sat on Miss Wilma's floor and played Sterl's Martin. It does my heart good, let me tell you.

A few of you know Jus is a talented singer-songwriter, and like some of those folks, is fairly tortured when it comes to "art"...I'm trying not to make a big deal because he quit playing music suddenly last summer after 19 years or so and I really miss it. So, I'm just going to cherish the sound...oh! he's singing now! Wonder what brought this on? No matter...I'm just thrilled it's happening. Playing on his 1970's Gibson Gospel that smells like my gran's attic. He's been missing a part of himself for some time, though he would never admit that...

Anyway, thanks for reading...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  7:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, what a beautiful sound that must be to your heart. Something inside him let him know it is time to make his soul sing again. What a beautiful thing!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  9:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie maybe he knows how much I love his cd

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  01:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Jonnie,
how truly a poignant a moment that is. Sweet truly sweet

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  05:15:44 AM  Show Profile
What a sweet little gift you received. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  05:36:55 AM  Show Profile
It surely was, girls...almost as soon as I finished typing, he stopped playing, said, "it's still a great guitar!" and took it into the bedroom. I said, "you don't have to quit, you know!"....his reply was, "I got what I wanted out of it." And that was that. Maybe this is a one time thing, or maybe it is a glimpse that he's not over it yet. Either way, what a very good night!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  07:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni-Lets pray he picks it back up again!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Why did he quit in the first place? Did he say? I can't imagine having so much talent and just letting is simmer inside. Seems like it would need to come out.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:06:49 AM  Show Profile
He said it wasn't fun anymore--that it wasn't a writers block or anything like that. He could write songs, he just didn't like the songs and didn't enjoy the process of creating and performing--and he had somewhere along the line, decided he didn't like the culture of live music--the phoney people and the egos, putting yourself out there and maybe it was received well, maybe it wasn't. But that was after a long bit of silence, really, where I was really just sort of at a loss and he didn't offer up any explanation other than, "I just don't want to". He's one of those folks who has to work the "why's" out in his head before he speaks, so I just gave him time (while I secretly thought it was a crime!)...and I'm hoping that he gets to a point where he doesn't see it as evil anymore. We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm....I can remember so many times, sitting and listening to our pals in the Juggernaut Jug Band and thinking to myself...how can these idiots be sitting there talking and not listening????? How can they not appreciate this cool music? My sweet Roscoe is singing.....why don't you LISTEN????? Why do people go to a place where there's live music and then talk over it?????

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I know...I've never understood why people go to see live music and then talk or sit with their backs to the performer.

I guess, though, there is a "thick" skin quality that a performer needs, and maybe an ego that says, "I don't care if only ONE person is listening...that's one" and he used to be that way...and, I've been a performer, but I've never had to deal with an uninterested audience--shoot, all I could see of my audience were the toes in the first row after the orchestra pit. Maybe after so long, your spirit gets broken and it takes a while to fix it....

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  4:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes in takes awhile to get the joy back. We all lose it for some reason or another. Sometimes the joy comes back in a different way. Maybe he will just play to please himself and you. That would be a wonderful thing.
Gifts or never lost sometimes just missplaced for awhile. Hopefully he will find his place again.

here's hoping
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  4:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Very well said, Linda....and admittedly, it took me a while to think of it like that...he's always played music. He played music before we met, so when he suddenly stopped, I had to catch up with him and his thought processes. I'm just grateful for the glimpses now and again, for sure.

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  04:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
what a sweetheart you are jonni.
when you posted about jus playing his guitar again, i could almost hear it here.
i think when you have that music in you, sometimes you just take a break from it. it is always an emotional thing to share your music, and i just sing, i dont write songs, so i cant imagine how emotional it must be to really "share" your music. i only sing songs that mean something to me, and believe me that itself can be draining, but to share a song that is truly yours, well that must be exhausting sometimes. i have put away my music at various times in my life,thinking well i am getting a little old and raggedy to be doing this, and then it will just come back to me.
but my music mentor, who was a songwriter as well, as "retired" from music many times. he is 78 now and still teaching but not performing, says he just isnt as good as he used to be, and doesnt play as well, but i have heard all this from him before, and if the right person came along for him to play with, he would probably be at it again.
i am glad that jus has you and that you have him. i hope he finds his music again real soon.
does he sell his cd? what kind of music does he play?
is there a place where we can hear it?
have a good day jonni, we love you and your sweet spirit here in texas!

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  05:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, he has a cd out there? I'd like to hear him. What's it called?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  05:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Frannie...you humble me. I am not a musician, and being a dancer seems to be different when it comes to the emotional sharing of your work, so it has taken me a bit to understand him. And thank you both, Lisa and Frannie for asking about his cd. It's called Borderlands, and you can get listen to a couple of tracts on Noisehead.com I highly recommend You'll Feel Better Soon, Borderlands and Miss Wilma's Favorite, Have you seen one? (or better known as number 9 to Miss Wilma...seriously...ask her!) http://www.noisehead.com/welcome.html

I would describe his music as what they call "roots rock" today...a little country influenced, little blues and r & B (like Stax era recordings from Detroit in the 1960's), mixed with a nice dose of the Brit invasion.

He used to have his cd for sale through CD Baby.com, and our local B & N, Borders, etc...but I haven't really had the courage to ask him on that one...If you give me your address, I'd be glad to send one your way--I love to share his work. The artwork is lovely--an old map on the front that we own from 1865, showing detail of the Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati areas and an old house we found on a drive.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonnie I would love one to. How much are they??? I did not know that he had a CD. I would love to hear a little bit of his music because every musician puts his heart and sould into their music.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile
I'd be so glad to send you one, Linda. Don't worry about cost. I will ship one tomorrow, along with Frannie's. Just thanks for your interest....he's got a beautiful voice (if I do say so myself:))....Just email me your address.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
That is so super cool. I am so excited. I can't wait to get his CD !!! Thank you so much Jonni. I can't wait to here his voice. Music is truly a special gift.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  10:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - what song did he choose to play and sing? My mom always told me she could tell a lot about my thoughts by the songs I sang to myself (and never knew she was listening to).

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile
It was Borderlands, Jeannie..the song he wrote about our excursions all through the Kentucky fields and places we've been together. It still makes the hair stand up on my arms (in a wonderful way :))...will never forget the first time I heard just the music, while he was plucking it out at Pleasant Hill.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  11:12:08 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you shared this loving experience with us. I suddenly feel 25 years younger!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow...thanks, Jeannie. It meant so much to me, and I was just bubbling over...who better to share it with, than you girls. I'm so happy that you all understand--of course you would.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  2:45:51 PM  Show Profile
You, girl, are in deep love with your hubby. That is wonderful. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Yep Shirly couldn't agree with you more. Kindrid spririts.......I believe some people are meant to be together and sometimes a miracle happens and they find each other.
The song Borderlands sounds intriquing....how cool is that. What a history and a story. Just can't wait to hear it and share it with my husband. He truly aprreciates music that has purpose and meaning.....its the best kind !!!

Hugs to you Jonni

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Sigh...and I'm truly in love with my farmgirl friends :)...we too, are all kindred spirits. And so lucky.

Linda, I hope you like the song after all the hoopla!!! It's a lovely, slow, sweeping ballad that moves like a lazy river. One of the places in the song (though not by name) is a lovely little village called "Ruddles Mill", in Bourbon County, that looks like civil war soldiers came walking through after the war was over, only just yesterday. It hasn't changed a bit...We happened upon this lovely little place after taking a 4 hour drive home through rushing creekbeds and curving lanes from Shakertown (normally an hour a 1/2)...Oh! If only gas was cheaper!!!

The Bellevue bottoms are referenced, though again, not by name, which is a low lying land in Northern Boone County, across from Rising Sun, Indiana, and very near Rabbit Hash. The song is full of images for me that I could pick out immediately, but it could be anywhere your heart belongs. We have a gazateer that has names of towns on it that, in some cases, no longer exist, or maybe the old storefront is left standing, or just the cemetery gate.

Anyway, you'll probably know by Saturday or Monday, anyway, and I hope that his music is something you can share with your husband. Don't be afraid to let me know yay or nay ;)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oh, how I've missed this sound!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page