Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Quandry... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  4:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I started my new job last week. I was hired to be something similiar to a secretary to billing/collections/appeals, etc but this week, I have been put over in the actual billing, which is repetative, robotic and boring work. They are shorthanded, so they stuck me over there yet my job I applied for is in a complete different place. I did not apply for this billing job and nor do I like it. I keep asking when I am going to move over to my job I was hired for and they are acting like I need to learn this job before I can move over there. Now, I don't like to be a fussy details kinda gal but I would NEVER apply for what amounts to a data entry position as I had done this YEARS ago and hate, hate, hated it!!!

I am thinking of seeing what happens next week but I truly do not like doing this job but do not want to seem ungrateful nor do I want to be a pushover. Repetative work bores me to no end. Am I being difficult?I thought I was doing admin. work and Honestly, if something is done next week, I am thinking of telling them it is jut not working out and be on my way. This billing job is in no way related to what I was hired to do, but is in the same department and no one else had to go through this. What would you do??

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile
I would honestly give it time. Some companies have peculiar ways of training new employees. For example, at my job previous to this one, I was the HR Rep and backup receptionist. They made me do nothing but reception for TWO MONTHS before I ever got to even sit in the HR office. I thought my head would pop off but I managed to survive. I eventually took on the HR role completely.... But the bottom line is that if you're miserable and you don't see it changing, then it's time to do the Texas Two-Step and skeedaddle your way outta there!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
The way the manager was hinting, until I get this billing job down, I won't be moving on. Now, I would probably get the idea of it within the next week or so, but I wasn't planning on mastering it. I honestly don't think it is fair that I have to do another job I clearly wasn't hired for (as in being some sort of processor vice being a secretary to the department) I think that job description is clearly defined. Hmmm..I guess I shall see...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Heather - I am 59. I have been there and done that. If things do not change soon, make a decision. Many companies play this game.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  5:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jeannie!! How long should I hold out? I am a little bit of a "life is too short to waste" kinda gal and I don't like to play games. I am not inflexible but if someone hired you to be a hostess at restaraunt and you end up serving food all night, that is a clear difference to me. The pay is good but atmosphere is more important to me. I can pick up a housekeeping job for about $8 up the road and work about 30 hours, spend less on gas and clothing and have more time to be with Charlie. I am seriously thinking of telling them I am going to take the job if this doesn't change. It's not about money, which most people can't understand. I also could then apply for a school aide come fall. Hmm..will think this one over this weekend. Thanks...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  6:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Heather, If you think this job has possibilities, I would stick it out a little longer. They could be testing your versatility & willingness to help out in other areas. If it is a decent company, I would wait a little longer. Maybe at least until after the 4th holiday.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  6:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather, This is a hard one to answer as for me it would depend on what my "gut" was telling me... but this last year I have learned and am reaping the benefits of understanding that we are given more choices in life then we think. if something isnt working... we can make the choice to re-structure life to be working for us...The last job I had.. I knew 2 weeks into it that I had made a wrong turn... but the owners kept promising things would change.... I stayed 2 years. It was only when I had the courage to take control of my happiness that I found it... you can have a work like and be happy!

As someone who works in HR. I would say that there is NOTHING wrong with going to your supervisor and just laying it on the table - saying "one of my best assetts is that I know me.. I know what I do well and I know what I dont.. and I know that this isnt a fit for me.. Is there a bigger plan that I am aware of.. or is this what my job will be? then the choice is really thiers... to let you do what you know you can contribute the most to the company with or, should you find something else...In my view it is poor managment to not do all you can to insure that the right people are in the right posisitons.. maybe you would be doing them a favore by gently reminding them. Good luck.. but you know you.. what do you think?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Rene- that is truly how I feel!! When I went in for an interview, I told the lady that I wasn't interested in data processing yet would like the opportunity to learn all aspects of the department I was working in, along with my job, for reference. Honestly, I know this is going to sound snotty, but this job is way beneath my capability. I have over 10 years of supervisory experience in the military along with a strong executive level admin. abilities and I know my way around an office. I was working for a 3 star admiral before I left the military as one of his attaches. I have one degree already and a second on the way. I went to school to get away from these kinds of jobs, as far as for myself. I believe in aiming higher than I think I can achieve is possible because that keeps me moving forward. I can housekeep right now to keep money rolling in and it is flexible enough to allow me to interview. I know I am new but I don't hold back, never have. Getting where and what you want takes...well...you know...as far as I am concerned. I don't want to sit in a job for 6 months HOPING it will get better. I have been pondering this all day and I really think I am going to call it quits on Monday after talking with the supervisor and seeing if anything changes tomorrow. I have always held myself in great regard to how I feel about something and I just won't settle. Call me stubborn, a b****, stuck up, whatever but that is how I got where I am today and darn it, I deserve better!!! That is me shooting from the hip, the only way I can live. Thanks!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I think Rene's advice to go to your supervisor and lay it on the table is correct.

Also, go back and read the second sentence of your last post ... you ASKED to learn all aspects of the department! From the company's perspective, they might actually be in a tight spot right now and have you filling in temporarily, and as Lisa (nubidane) also said, they might be a decent company attempting to determine the versatility and more importantly, attitude, of their new hire. (They have not figured out how great you are...just give them time!)

It sounds like you have a strong personality .. nothing wrong with that, but from my point of view, YOU are the newbie, and as an HR manager of a small company I know I don't appreciate new hires challenging the company procedures in their first few weeks on the job. I do appreciate employees coming to me with their specific concerns. I would hate for you to rush to judgement and end up cutting your nose off to spite your face. It sounded like you did a lot of research before selecting this job, so I assume it's a good company. Give them a chance.

On the other hand, if your personality and schedule for Charlie is better suited to independent work like housekeeping, and you can make equal or better money, then maybe that's the better place for you.

Good luck with this!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I did ask to learn as much as I can but what I was told it would be a 2 hour, sit with someone, learn what they do, move on. Now they are telling me it is a 3 month probation just in this job alone not ever touching what I was actually hired for. I worked in HR for a few years and I know that the biggest problem we faced was hiring people for specific jobs then the higher ups would take the new hires and put them somewhere else forever, never giving them a chance to do what they thought they were hired for. Does that make sense???

I was offered the data entry position during my interview and I asked if they were on timers or had to meet quotas and she said yes and I said "No thank you."

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, telling you about two hour overviews vs. them now telling you it's a 3-month probation in that job are very different situations.

I see your point; you declined one job and accepted another; they hired you and then stuck you in the job you declined. Sort of a bait and switch, isn't it?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, that is why I am having such a problem with it. I am not trying to be difficult. I don't want an on the clock job, where I have to account for every minute. I like to do my job, work hard and go home. What I understand from the girl who was training me that this is very common practice there. I don't think it is a very nice one and I decided today, after talking with the supervisor, that we are not a good fit. They at first were nice then got a little angry but I reminded them that this was not what I was hired to do and they told me a true employee would do whatever it takes. Yes, I would, in my specific job but not filling a spot while you hire more people in the hopes I get to do what I was originally hired for. Does that make any sense?? HA!!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:14:57 AM  Show Profile
I would go lay it out and give them one week to move you to another area for the "cross training" they are requiring or to your actual position. These people misinterpreted the power pink blouse. Just because pink is the gender specific color, doesn't mean your a pushover! I think you should remind your supervisor of the position you were hired for, and this was not it!

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Heather~I may be wrong, but from reading your posts, you sould like you are geared to be a teacher! You have a take charge attitude--which is what is needed when it comes to wrangling the little ones in. You seem more creative and full of life--don't settle for a desk job! Actually, if you have a 4 year degree, you could fast track in a subject that correlates to your degree. Would prolly take about a year to get certified if you paced it right. I dunno...I could be TOTALLY wrong. I love it myself because I can be who I am personality wise and still have a schedule that benefits my family and my farm, while still paying the bills!

Just something to think about.

Samantha

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
HA Samantha you know me well!! I have always been told that and the fact that I am a 10 year child trapped in a 34 year old body does help!! HA!!! The used to call me "tank" at work becasue I roll in and get the job done and I take on leadership VERY quickly. I am not afraid to fail, laugh at myself nor take charge. I am VERY Creative but my degree is in Health Information Management (record management)- nothing "school" like about it though I know they do hire for aides and what not. I just checked out the local ISD page and they are hiring. I just won't settle for a desk job anymore. Could you send me some tips on getting hired, how to parlay my resume to get noticed, even though I have not educational background??? Thanks.

I have reminded them about 4 times now that they hired me for something else. I was actually told by 2 different people they could tell I spent time in the military because of the way I carried myself. I am way beyond an entry level job they are making me do. Sorry, but I just can't compromise and I know I will find something else. POWER TO THE PINK SHIRT!!! HA!!! I love it!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile
I am with the other ladies here. I think you should at least ASK what their intent was, and if they really don't offer any explanation that makes sense, I would move on. I don't think it makes sense to waste years of your life at a job you hate, advancing other people's causes, when there truly are so many opportunities in the world! Good luck

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by catscharm74

I decided today, after talking with the supervisor, that we are not a good fit. They at first were nice then got a little angry but I reminded them that this was not what I was hired to do and they told me a true employee would do whatever it takes. Yes, I would, in my specific job but not filling a spot while you hire more people in the hopes I get to do what I was originally hired for.
Heather

Heather, it looks like from this post you have already had the discussion with your supervisor and made your decision. And I support you in that. Life IS too short, and you are too young and full of potential to settle for some crummy job you don't want. I think they saw an intelligent, capable person and knew from the start what they were going to do with you. They didn't bank on getting someone with guts as well as smarts. So, go for it. Believe me, if they thought you weren't working out, then they would have not problem telling you it isn't a good fit. And a 3-month probation doing a job that you didn't hire on for is cr*p, in my humble opinion. At one time I supervised 20 people, and I would never have done this to any of them. Nor would I have stood for it to be done to me.
Oh, and another thing, you are no longer in the military, so They Don't Own You - and it just isn't right to bait and switch an employee - it just isn't done!!! If they had explained it to you before you signed on, and IF you had agreed, it would be one thing, but they didn't, so it's their loss!
So, good luck! Enjoy your weekend and start fresh on Monday. I know you'll let us know how it goes. FarmGirl Hugs! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yep...my thoughts exactly Judith!! I haven't been in the position to quit something in a long time (I liked most of my military jobs..most...: ) so it was a little scary but I dropped off my badge and walked out. Hmph!!! I can only imagine the gossip. I already applied for 5 more jobs online and by mail, so keep your fingers crossed. I was also a little miffed that when I told them I am capable of being a manager or doing something more challenging than entry level, they kinda downplayed my ability. I explained "IF you served, you are a manager, even fresh out of bootcamp, you are given the tools and then the opportunity to train and supervise."

Thanks for the support all!! Only hubby is the one supporting me right now but that is all that matters.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Quandry... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page