True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile

I wondered how long it would take until we were blessed with another
Meadow-Vision! And here it is...
I have fantasized for a long while about an outdoor wood-fired bread oven and wood fired sauna. I bought the book on making the sauna and pull it out once or twice a year to get me going.I must admit, though, that the sauna would probably get used more than the bread oven!
Well, Meadowlark, now that we followed you outside, I will tell you about my outdoor claw foot bathtub hidden in an alcove of climbing roses.AAhh pure bliss when the roses are in bloom and the moon is full.Hauling warm water to it is challenging but well worth the effort.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I am a Jenny...Not an ounce of Italian blood in these veins, unless my German/English relatives had a brief fling on Ellis Island...that could account for my life long love affair with the Italian people and their culture and foods. I have a 2 acre grape vinyard too with dreams of becoming a winemaker. Love the look of antiquity of Italy. I love Gilligan's Island!!!! Your outdoor shower surrounded by surfboards is so cool! On my list is a fire ring. I do dry the herbs I manage to grow. I once had a 2 foot tall rosemary bush that survived our midwest winter. Alas she gave up the ghost the next winter. Your place sounds awesome!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Sue, Is the claw foot tub a fantasy or reality? Oh my gosh, THAT is bliss! To have the rose petals just automatically drop in your bath...

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 29 2005 09:58:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile

It's real, Hon!
I bought the tub for $30 a few years back thinking I'd use it for the sheep pasture. The sheep fantasy still hasn't manifested so I planted climbers around the tub and called it my space in the summer months.I might only use it a few times per summer but you are right, it is so lovely to have rose petals rain down on you! I used to have candles on rounds of wood and the whole deal but have let it get more rustic lately.
Hmmm,maybe it's time for a re-do up there.
Hauling water is a pretty big deterrent, because the tub is sooo deep.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Susan what a plan. You all got best imagines. I got a gardenia bush that is the size of a tree. I drug out a rocker underneath to pray and play my mandolin here.A tub would be divine.

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  11:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Jenny aka Meadowlark my great granny is a Jenny not Jennifer or middle name just Jenny. Always wanted a girl to name after her. do you have daughters?
I wouldn't know how to pull off any kind of European look with a shack.How old are your vines?
Do you save wine bottles for winemaking?Did you see the guy on the news who was building his house out of wine bottles?
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:27:49 PM  Show Profile
WOW, I love the outside bathtub idea, how cool! I also love the idea of a outside bread/pizza oven and while I'm dreaming I have to add a outside canning kitchen. What I wouldn't give to see your places Blue Egg Babe and Meadowlark, got any pics?

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile

Junebug,
I am gathering some home/garden pics together for website........
will keep you posted. Hopefully next week, sometime.
I don't have any bathtub pics, however.
Will have to wait until June/July,2006. In full bloom and all gussied up!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, I have 2 daughters, oldest turns 23 next week and youngest will be 13 in Nov. Childbearing almost did me in the first time around...took 10 years to get the nerve the try again and was blessed with #2 girl. Never regretted it...LOVE havin my girls. My legal name is Jennifer...never liked it though, always got called Jennifer when I was in trouble with the parents which was ALL the time. Jenny is just a better name for me. To me the European look is just a sense of PLACE...it is the personality of the owner, and my place is a little overgrown and wildish, prairie dirt and old boots by the back door. My back deck is semi rotted, and the siding needs paint. The elements are doing their own decorating here... besides perfect is soooo boring. My vines are 7 years. I do save bottles, and have for 6 years. Got several boxes in my garage. Looks like we threw one heck of a party. DH hates it...but I won't let anyone touch my winebottles! Someday, they will come in really handy, and save lots of money. A house of wine bottles??? Now that would be a trip! drink and build, drink and build...sounds good to me!!! Junebug, I have a few pics of the old dirt patch posted under Pics of my Dexters, Home and Vineyard in the Barnyard Buddies Topic, or the Farm of my Own. Took these this last summer.

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
OK - "Jenny" - you save wine bottles; I save corks - hundreds!! I know an idea for their use will smack me in the head one day!! Can't throw a single one away. Write dates and special occasions on those appropriate ones, but as every afternoon is a special occasion, I have hundreds just the same...
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
LOL
The drink build hangover is what the newscasters were joking about too, I have uncorked the start of mine with a sparkling vouray.

This guy made his house with champagne bottles cuz they were the strongest. he had like 30,ooo! And KJD he used the corks for door knobs and drawer pulls. I tried to find it on the web but can't remeber what station my hubby had on last night. Look at this guy in Russia

http://english.pravda.ru/fun/2002/01/03/24890.html

I was thinking it would be a groovy way to raise a garden bed for some bunch grapes or strawberry beds.

Thanks for sharing about your daughters. Jenny, I have two boys. Oldest was 23 last March and youngest will be 19 in 11 days Yikes I didn't realize it was sneaking up on me! They are in Gainesville.
My place never been painted just graying cypress. I think I said I had I had cedar on the ceiling but I'm daffy it is cypress too. I knew it was a c word. When you say prairie dirt i got me half a swamp prairie back by the lagoon. For you is that like the grasslands? do your goats keep them in check? Do you have goat wagons?

Back to the kitchen part of this how many drawers do you absolutely have to have to run your dream kitchen? I only have 4 this was an oops mistake. I have to walk to the pantry or over to a cabinet hutch now.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  6:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, My gosh that is a palace of glass! thanks for the link...this Alexander has his stuff together! Champagne is THE best wine bottle for the task...wide at the bottom( like I am built LOL). Beautiful place! I have not gone to dumps yet to collect bottles, maybe some of my "German" relatives can help me out with more wine bottles. My grandmother was a Krug...have you heard of Krug Champagne? On the border of France and Germany...big HOUSE and very pricey...another place to visit before I push up daisies.
Always wanted a son...girls just run in 3 generations...my sis has 2 daughters...Aunts had daughters...Girls everywhere! Lots of estrogen!
Used to have some goats...have Dexter cattle to keep the hay trimmed. Heirloom Irish kitchen cattle...small, and sweet and black as night. Garbage eaters. And hardy and tough.
For the dream kitchen...I would have shelves...and lots of sturdy baskets to store things...hate drawers. I would love a mudroom...and cubbies to stash all the gear in. And a hose and sink to wash all the dirt and dust and grass and stickers and bugs away! What kind of wood is cypress? Sounds exotic. Wine bottles for a bed of grapes and strawberries...I like that!

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  04:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, can't wait to see the pictures BEB, looking forward to it and will check out yours too Meadowlark, I'm sure there's some ideas to steal!! LOL In the Nevada desert where I grew up there is a old ghost town that has many houses made of old bottles since the main attraction was the saloon, so neat and I can imagine how pretty when the sun light hits them, thanks for the link!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile
cypress isn't exotic here it is one of the natives.
how about another link
while this is nothing like my shack, the wood is
http://www.floridacypress.com/Gallery.htm

I only have unitl the end of next month to get the strawberries planted. Guess I may have to ask the restaurants I drop my mangos off at if I can rummage through their dump for empties.I have drank me some Krug! My hubby insists the strength of the bottle would be with it standing but probably better insulator laying down.
Didn't know about the Dexter cows will have to find your link. Wow what grand manure for the vineyard!I come from a family of Brown Swiss Dairy Farmers. Big brown eyers.How many calves you have this spring?
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  6:59:01 PM  Show Profile
If I could wish for improvements to my kitchen, I would definitely want more drawers and more counter space. I'd make silverware drawers the right width and depth to hold nice divider inserts, or get drawers that came with dividers. It would be nice to have countertop heights that worked for my height. And good lighting. Wide, deep sinks with drainboard areas and tall back splashes would be nice, too. Okay, I'd like to wish for Alice from the Brady Bunch to come hang out and cook with me, too. Wow, what a dream!

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:41:50 AM  Show Profile
well, i think our kitchen is just about as perfect as i would want it to be .. i will sometimes find a 'treasure' to add .. but the basic bones are already there .. will sometimes shift furniture around too .. but no major changes. it's quite primitive and thats the way i love it.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I'd fill it with farmgirl pals.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile
i often fill mine with farm girls and city girls. nothing like a gathering of good gurlfrenz! xo
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  6:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, a full kitchen is the way to go! We call it bumpin' butts because we always seem to be running into each other (mine does get in the way of me quite often) while one of us farmgirls is cleaning dishes and one of us is measuring and one is mixing and so on. You should have seen all us girls canning together. What fun! My perfect kitchen always starts with a BIG window over the sink, then a big sink because that's where I spend much of my time! So fun to read everyone's perfect kitchen!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  7:43:00 PM  Show Profile
A big island to do my baking at and kitchen counters that were built higher. Mine are so low I get a back ache after doing a few dishes or rolling out any dough. A dishwasher, DH and I are the washer and we are tired of doing it. A six burner gas stove with warming drawer and double gas ovens - boy could I cook up some holiday meals with that set up - Yahoo! Also would like room to have my round pine table in the kitchen for eating breakfast, sitting around drinking coffee, etc. Someday, when we get some $$$ together, we will remodel that whole kitchen area - hopefully before I am old and gray.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  05:17:56 AM  Show Profile
I was climbing up on the counters and finally cleaning above my cabinets on Sunday and I thought-boy, would I love tall cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. It was so nasty-greasy, dusty, yucky up there and so hard to clean. I even decided to find a new spot for my pottery and dishes because they are so hard to clean if I don't get to them often. And, it has certainly been too long since my last cleaning up there.
My dream cabinets would be just like grandma had-beautfil white-some solid and some with glass fronts-all went to the ceiling. She had a nice step stool to get to the top shelves too-red and white metal-very sturdy.

So, I add this to my list of dream things for my kitchen. I've gotten some good ideas from the rest of you. One day! :)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile
i deleted the cast iron photos from photobucket and they disappeared here on the forum. guess you can't do that!

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 01 2005 12:34:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:37:58 AM  Show Profile
deleted this .. cuz' the picture disappeared when i deleted it from photobucket. soooooooo .. if you want a photo to stay .. keep it in photobucket!

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 01 2005 12:36:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Frannie-that is all so neat-I love it all-thanks so much for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Ellen .. i will probably become absolutely obnoxious (but in a good way) with posting pictures! i love showing and telling .. and adore seeing the lives of my girlfriends too! look forward to lots of pictures being posted .. lordy! if "I" can figure it out .. anyone can! LOVE that photobucket.com site. thanks to you girls who suggested it to me!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How would you redo your kitchen Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page