cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello farmgirls!

2006 is the year for me to stop shying away from recipes that call for separated egg yolks and whites just because I don't know how to separate them. So I'm looking for advice. I technically know HOW to do it, but only tried it once and was NOT successful. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Many thanks! And Happy 2006 to everyone!

Catherine in (snowy) Minnesota

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Here's what I do.

I take a small glass pyrex dish and crack the egg in half. Holding one end cradling the yolk in it, I let the white run over the edges and drain out into the dish. I might pass the yolk gently back and forth between the two halves of shells to get the remainder of the white out. Then I flip the yolk in the dish I need.

Another method is to crack the egg, and let the white drizzle out between your clean fingers, cradling the yolk in your hand. It's messier, but surprisingly effective.

You'll be making mile high sponge cakes before you know it!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I do the first method that MaryAnn described...it works real well. I have tried using an "egg separator" tool..what a mess I made.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  8:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I use a butterknife and gently make a crack around the egg to try to get a nice even break, but on occassion, the egg breaks where it darn well pleases. But, whatever, I too find it very efficient to pass the egg from shell to shell, letting the white drip out into a bowl or measuring cup.

"God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on thy heart!"

Edited by - OregonGal on Dec 30 2005 8:47:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  09:24:11 AM  Show Profile
I use the shel halves and toss the egg back and for the between the shells and the white will drizzle out and leave only the yolk behind.

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  09:55:42 AM  Show Profile
I use a little contraption that I got at a Tupperware party years ago. It sits nicely over a cup and then you crack the egg into it. The yolk sits in a little indentation and that white runs through some slots on the side into the cup. If I didn't have that I'd just pour it between the shell halves like Missy.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need help separating eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page