Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to work on the remodel of my kitchen and know I will forget something really important. I like to cook and can quite alot. My kitchen was designed by a man I am sure or at least someone who never spends time in the kitchen. My counters are split up by appliances so I can't really have a large area to roll out dough. Plus I am always hitting my head on the counters. I have lots of gadgets and small appliances that I use.

So if you could redo your kitchen with endless budget, what would you do to make the space work better for you?

Tania in Boise

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Tatiana, Good subject! A few ideas really pop into my mind... A kitchen floor made of black slate that slopes toward a drain so i could just hose it down when needed. The hose would be attatched to a huge stainless steel potting sink (one of 3 or 4). I would also have a large white porceline apron sink with those big bronze fawcets with more hose attachments for cleaning BIG pots and pans. The black slate floor is black because it would never look grungy. I would have a giant center multi use island. A large antique bakers table from France made of iron and marble to roll pastry on. A trough sink out of copper in the island for a makeshift wine cooler. As you can see I am big on sinks and hoses. That is all I can think of for now...more will come to me. Oh. one more thing...an old screen door off the kitchen that makes that slamming noise... and old fashioned fly swaters hanging next to it. ( WE have tons of flies in Kansas)

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 26 2005 1:50:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a gas-fired commercial range with 6 burners and a really wide oven with a small warming oven on the side. I simply adored it.
Alas, when the husband and I went our separate ways, he decided he would keep it(knowing how much I loved it) and then he proceeded to buy and cook in the microwave that I never wanted! He never used the range.
Anyhoo, gas is the best.....works when the electric goes out and I did all of my canning, etc with plenty of room to spare. Also could do my whole holiday meal and get everything done at the same time.
Double batches of cookies eveytime, too.
Boy, I have a standard electric range for 10 years now and nary a day goes buy that I don't think about that commercial range.
Loved it...just loved it.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I am facing this dilema at the moment as well. 5 years ago our house caught fire and I was able to do a bit of my 3-phase plan for the kitchen when we rebuilt. The best thing I did? Put open shelving above my countertops. Everything has a place, I have to keep it neat and I can grab and go as I need. The one thing I would change? Putting a built-in island with a small sink (I like them too!) in the center. I have to be careful of the size as my kitchen is not that big. I think that shelves along one side where I can place my canisters of cereal, rice, flour etc. will be ideal. I love the idea of a slate floor! Doesn't every woman dream of hosing down her kitchen at the end of the day?
Now how about a bathroom redo?
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  5:48:21 PM  Show Profile
OK,first i would get a AGA stove then open the kitchen up with more windows .thats it i guess .when we moved in we slate tiled the floors riped out cabnets and put in big old farm cuboards and for counter and drawers we put in a antique pharm. counter.looks pretty good not much counter space but good enough.the tiles arent real slate (thats what they were called) randi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile
New counters...it is on the top of my to do list anyway!! I have the retro green speckly formica all picked out and carry the sample in my purse...and if money were no object they would be taller too..I swear my kitchen was made for people no taller than 5 ft!! (I am 5'8") so that would be nice. A wonderful old 40's gas stove and better fridge would be great.
I have that screen door you talked about Meadowlark...and I am grateful. There are lots I love about my kitchen..but it does need an overhaul!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  7:08:28 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful topic!
One thing I would do is basecoat my floor in a pretty slate blue and then spatter paint it with a bit of black and red and a fair amount of white. It makes the baking and cooking stuff on the floor invisible. My DH and I volunteer at Living History Farms near Des Moines and the Tangen House has this. I love it! I am amazed at the amount of stuff I didn't realize we had spilt at the end of the day.
I would absolutely have a big old cookstove! and a woodbox to match. In fact, I'd have a cookstove instead of a regular stove if I didn't also teach away from home. Someday...
I love my faucet that pulls out and over the edge of the sink to fill water coolers, canners, etc. I think it is a Delta faucet. It switches from stream to spray at the touch of a button.
I would also put in radiant(sp) heat in the floors! I love my maple butcher block even if it does make my kitchen a bit crowded. Above all else WINDOWS and a pantry with shallow, open shelves!
There! Aaaaah to dream!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:37:40 PM  Show Profile
I like meadowlark's idea of a screen door, and Aunt Jenny's idea of a 40's range, I would add to that an vintage looking fridge, and lots of red and black with roosters and hens everywhere and good old fashioned linoleum.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  9:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark you crack me up! HOwever, the slopping floor and center drain would be great. We just bought our home in Dec and didn't so much to the kitchen other than paint and redo the Island. I got both ends of the island with outlets. It is great! It is a must.
The kitchen already had Corian counter tops, yeah! And fortunatly it is a color that works for me. I love it. I can put hot pots on the counter and it doesn't leave marks. If I am lazy and don't get out a cutting board, all I have to do in clean up is use a green scrubby, and any marks are gone. The other thing I like about the Corian is the sink is part of the counter. No metal lip for food to get stuck under.It has a goose neck faucet and a deep sink, great for filling stock pots.
I would love to have a bigger stove. I don't like mine. It has a lip around the edge that prevents my canner from sitting flush on the element.

I have my fridge and stove close to the island,few steps is best. I have had kitchens where the appliances could have been in different rooms they seemed so far apart.
I like having space for sitting and visiting with those I love over tea and scones. It makes the kitchen warmer even on the coldest day.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Is it true roosters in the kitchen bring the cook good fortune?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:33:00 PM  Show Profile
I am so clumsy that if I had sloping floors..even the slightest bit I would need that drain..I would be spilling and falling all the time!!! (more than now I mean...as I sit here with 3 burn marks on my right arm from ironing while sewing..)

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  12:15:05 AM  Show Profile
aaaaawww A big walk in pantry
It would be sooooo handy!!
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  06:43:42 AM  Show Profile
sometimes I think one of those things (something "butler"..I can't think) that is like a food elevator would be great for taking my jars of canned stuff down to my cellar..which is always a pain..lots of trips when there are lots of full jars..down stairs with three dogs "helping".

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny - I think that's a "dumbwaiter". We recently re-did our kitchen and money IS an object, so this is what we did - a few years ago, we put wood floors in the entire downstairs, so that was already done. We took off all our cabinet fronts and painted them cream-colored and got new hinges. Had gotten new pulls and knobs a couple of years ago, so kept them. We have electric, so don't have my dream gas stove yet, but got a black flat stovetop. My husband went to the hardware store and bought tons of redwood. He measured and cut, then stained to the color I had in my mind, countertops out of this. They are more beautiful than I could imagine. Got a new fridge and microwave that are stainless, and are interesting with the otherwise country look of the kitchen. Only thing left - new wall ovens - mine are original to the house, 30 years old and smoke like crazy, even though perfectly clean. We can't leave the smoke alarm up because of this - the one in the kitchen, I mean. This isn't my ideal, money is no object kitchen yet, but for this house, it's the best it could be and I love it!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Can't believe I forgot - my beautiful big white farm sink - love it!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Well I kinda re-did my kitchen over the winter, took off the doors to the cabinets to creat the open shelf farm look, and added a stainless coffee maker and microwave to start. I would LOVE to have old wood plank floors, a wood cookstove in addition to my gas stove, a huge pantry and a old hoiser to hold flour and grains. A hanging pot rack would be a plus since I have little storage for pots and pans. I have plenty of windows but would LOVE a greenhouse window. I painted a checker board on my old wood tile ceiling and that alone has really made my little kitchen feel open. My dream kitchen would be in my dream house but that's another topic! Loved everyones ideas and can't wait to hear what you end up with Tania!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny..
OH YES! A dumbwaiter is the greatest idea!
I hate that trip down with cases of jars and up with loads from the freezer. My old farmhouse has very questionable and rickety steps to the basement. Each step is different: width, depth, thickness ...and you are right, add a few animals and ducking your head so you don't bang it going down and it's like your doing the "basement limbo".
I am very grateful, however to have my laundry equipment right in my kitchen and not in the basement, but it's not exactly the ideal aethsetic look I prefer. However it is convenient...the washer is right next to my screen door and straight ahead to the line.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Dumbwaiter...I knew that and kept thinking silent butler..pathetic!! I really need more sleep!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  8:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Excellent ideas. I hear all of you saying that the big range is a dream. I thought about a gas cook top and double wall ovens. As to the slop floor: Yah baby!! I always am dreaming of something like that when I finish my canning for the season and sometimes in the midst of it. I keep saying that I will mop when I am done, but it never seems like it gets done very fast. Hosing would be a dream come true. As to the dumb waiter, I need something more horizontal, like a conveyer belt, because my canning pantry is in the garage. I know what you mean about pets though. It seems that my dog has to follow me in and out of the garage while I'm carring five jars. Amazing I got them all in there.

I am going to print off all these great ideas, and maybe there is some sort of compromise on the slop floor .

Thanks and Keep those ideas rolling in,

Tania
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I think the silent butler is a sort of covered dish thing that people uded to empty ashtrays into. I could be off. My aunt had a dumbwaiter and once my cousin, sister and I gave my little cousin a ride up and down in it. Boy, did we get in trouble! Laundry chutes are so much fun too! I have one in the window seat of my kitchen. ODD place for it. Who wants to drag the dirties into the kitchen to dump them down a chute? Mine doesn't even empty into the end of the basement with the washer, so we have never used it. I somehow doubt the original "lady of the house" designed that one!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  06:20:09 AM  Show Profile
My grandma used to have a laundry chute where a little window should be in her bathroom...sort of just behind and to the side of the toilet (but about chest level) since her laundry room was outside and the room was just beyond that...handy place, but we used to it to sneak outside...or inside..we would slide it open and go through and from the laundry room there was only a door to the outside. I guess we thought it was easier than a trip through the house to the back door..but we sure got in trouble if she caught us!
I have had double ovens alot over the years and will sure miss it this year at holiday time. I am spoiled and like to bake my bread while the turkey is in, and like that. This year I had to get a new oven and it is much smaller (newer ones seem to be!) and only one oven which means baking on Christmas eve I guess.. I should be able to handle that!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile
First I would say BIG! Then I would say SUNNY! cabinets everywhere with window pane glass upper cabinets and bead board shaker type lower cabinets, butcherblock countertops with a section of marble for rolling out pastry , dough etc... SubZero Fridge with a seperate beverage cooler, Viking or AGA six burner range and double mounted wall ovens to bake til my hearts desire. I would have a rolling island that has one side you can sit at stools (comfy ones ) and the ability to do prep, etc. When you have a party it could be used as a beverage center, buffet counter, or just rolled out of the way. There would be a substantial pantry that you entered through a Victorian gingerbread screen door and there would be lower cabinets and upper shelves to house all my vintage dishes, glassware, baking dishes and pottery. There would also be plenty of room on one whole side for all our food supplies, dry, canned, with baskets to hold potatoes, onions and things that are used daily.There would be one area filled with windows and skylights where we would place a long farmhouse/rectory style table in with lots of chairs for whoever drops in. The floors would be wide planked wood, a warm honey color and I would have french blue walls with cheery yellow thrown in somewhere for good measure.Well ...you said $$$ was no object and a girl can dream can't she?!!!

PS..Jenny my grandparents had a dumbwaiter that went up and down so it worked like a laundry shoot too! A silent butler is what men used to place their coat and accessories on in the "dressing area", sometimes you still see them at thrift shops . My Dad had one and never used it, we used to dress it up at Halloween and scare people!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  11:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Upgraded and Refurbished Retro. Older professional appliances that have higher BTU's and new refrigerant. A huge farm table that you can work and gather around. A Hoosier Cabinet. I always wanted one. Lot's of light and windows. A pantry room.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  08:56:47 AM  Show Profile
you know it is cheaper to have a commerical stove then to separate the ovens and range and microwaves. so think about that cabinet spacing twice.

we gutted our kitchen. we still got to hang the pendant lights then we'll be done.what an adventure you are undertaking!I do have an outdoor kitchen with sink and cookers and where the chopping block gets the hose or an afternoon shower works real well too that kept us fed for the months this project took.
started at the top with cedar tongue and groove ceiling, ceiling fans, then put in electric and oops <edit>water to a brick island with herb planter box, hung pot and glassware racks and thats where the glass pendants will be hungover,added marble pastry and butchers block spots and a two deep hole sinks with goose neck faucets.i handpainted tiles for the backsplashes, white cabinets with up lighting hidden on top.next rag offed what little plaster walls we got with 3 colors of peach to make a terra cotta look and laid oak floor.my one splurge is the yaki griddle put in the chimmney where we had charcoal grill. my pantry with freezer and then my mudroom is off the kitchen. got no basement.

bramble my great uncle who worked ata bank had a valet that was built over a chair and the chair seat had a lid where he put his wallet, silver cigarette case,and cufflinks.

Silent butlers are ashtrays emptiers with a lid. I got pewter one for a wedding gift. It hold matches by our fireplace.

About the height of cabinets we put them in for a wheel chair at one end because we are fixinta to get old here.
Jenny do you have long arms?

Edited by - ByHzGrace on Sep 29 2005 08:59:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, Love, love your kitchen, This Jenny does not have long arms...wish I did though then I wouldn't dream of wanting so many hoses for washing in my dream kitchen... I thought of another wish thing...an outdoor "piazza" style kitchen patio with a big pizza oven and a huge old stone long table under a pergola dripping with grapevines and wisteria. A life sized stone statue of a hunky Italian god/man with very little on holding a sign saying "dinner is served" or "pizza's on...". And a little herb kitchen garden in the shape of a pizza next to the statue.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark you are a Jenny too? Do you have Italian heritage or like the grape arbour and look?
My outdoor kitchen looks more like gilligans island. I got the palm frond umbrella around a lashed up table. We put in an arbor, my beams are old surfboards. Used old surfboards too as my walls to an outdoor shower which you need sometime after scaling fish or plucking birds.We cook pizza in a chimnea with wood chips.Do you have a fire ring? I like the herb garden pizza idea! Do you ever dry and premix your like Italino herbs?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How would you redo your kitchen Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page