True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  04:48:16 AM  Show Profile
Amie
WOW that would be so very lovely, any day except for Wednesday is good for me. I will private message you and we can figure out the details!!
Rachel, I will check out your website right now!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  05:39:48 AM  Show Profile
I AGREE! A good referance/study bible is so important and as Jeannie said nothing taste the place of Gods Word. Good books have their place but they can not take the place of studying the bible. So bible reading first then studies and good reads.

I would also recommend a good devotional. These provide a good starting point for studies too. Sometimes a good devotional can really get your bible study going. I love,My Utmost For His Highest, it is wonderful.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  07:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
If youre willing to go a little deeper get a strongs concordiance and or use the website www.blueletterbible.org
Also at Kay Arthurs website you can download for free the 1st week of any of her lessons to get an idea if you like them or not.. it is so worth doing..(www.precept.org) they also list classes in the area that teach inductive study. As for Beth Moore... She is into the inductive study as well.. but she does much of the "digging for you" ( where kay lets you dig away)... Beth Moore's website is www.lifeway.com .... the things I love about inductive study is it none denominatinal... they dont have Weslyian or Arminian or Calvinistic pre-sets.. Just you, the bible, and Greek and Hebrew (strongs).... it is worth looking up words that stand out to you as they can often have a deeper meaning when "dug out"....Kay Arthur has a book called how to study your bible - where she goes into all this... If your looking for a "fun, deep, Summer in the word" learning inductive is a great use of time (my opinion)...they use a color coding..... so for us visual learners it is perfect... My bible is full of COLOR. I also LOVE Nancy Misslers "The way of Agapa".. it is a stdy that was so helpful to me.. really shows that we cannot expect people to give to us what they do not have.. and how we can choose to love them inspite of it... Really life changing for me.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I get the "in touch" publication monthly. It is published by Charles Stanley. I have been gettin git for months and not reading it. I out it in a pile on my desk and there they would stay. Well last night after reading this thread, a little voice (whose voice could that be? hmmmm) told me to read one. So I picked up the one on the top of the pile. There was and article in there called "living in the power of the Holy Spirit"
It really spoke to my heart especially one line. "working hard to be a good person does not lead to salvation, just as saying a quick prayer before bed is a poor substitute for a personal relationship with the God of the universe"
WOW!!! That is what I have been doing lately. Kind of going through the motions of trying to be a good Christian. This has opened my eyes and this thread helps me too. All of you gals are giving such good support and good websites. Thanks!
Here is another good website www.intouch.org
have a great day!:)

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  06:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Rene, my mum has a copy of Strong's Concordance. It is really a handy tool for Bible study, especially when something catches your interest and you're not sure where exactly to go for verses that pertain to it. I should get my own copy, lol.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
jodi, you access the strongs on line too..... just google it... I wouldnt live without it.. I have one of those "inquiring minds", you know!

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  07:58:56 AM  Show Profile
Awesome!! I didn't know it could be accessed online! Thanks for letting me know. I totally understand the 'inquiring mind' thing, lol. My boyfriend and I usually pick a topic to death whenever we're studying. My favorite thing to do (much to the dismay of most around me, I've found), is to totally challenge ANY and all preconcieved ideas on something... whether it be doctrine, the way a verse is interpreted, etc. I usually consider the traditional way of thinking about those things, but more as a viewpoint rather than the absolute truth, because I think that we get lazy about actually seeking God's truth out for ourselves. We become too content and comfortable with what is spoon fed to us, and I think it can put us in a dangerous place spiritually. I just like to examine things from all sides, debate things a bit, pray about them, and then come up with a scripture-based answer. I have a hard time taking people's word on things--if it's not in the Bible, I don't accept it. So yeah, lol, concordances are really good...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  04:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gals
Just wondering.....any of you interested in being pen pals with me? If so....e-mail me...perhaps you might be interested in writting to others involved in this topic.
I was wondering....Who reads Joyce myer?

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  07:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love the idea of having 'Christian Fellowship' penpals... I'd be up for writing you or anyone else on the topic! My life is kinda crazy with moving right now (I still owe my other penpal a letter!! :/ ) But I'd still love to write if you'd have patience with my slow response time... :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you ladies know of free, online devotions for couples? I've Googled them, but not finding too much, so thought maybe you might know of some... :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't know of any jodi, but if I hear, I'll let you know or can you let me know if you hear? thanks:)

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Good Monday morning everyone...... While I was praying last night for something pretty big in my life.... I was wondering....Should I pray once for it, or continually ask for it over and over? My husband and I are having fertitlity issues and I ask God for children, should I ask every day? God know the desires of my heart, but do I ask anyway?
Thought I'd ask you gals to see how you all do such things.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melanie,
we are instructed to 1) come boldly before the thrown.. and 2) cast all our care on HIM. I would say this.. If it is laying heavy on your heart that day... lay it down - pray about it. But also be willing to pray God's will for your life. I know that for me, sometimes I hold on so tight to MY dreams - done my way and my timing that I cannot see the bigger plan. This much I DO know.. that God's plan will encompass all your dreams, somehow! Kids are such a blessing.. My husband and I had 6 miscarriages before a live birth- I was devistated, the doc. stold me to "stop trying". I did! and yet God blessed us with 4 kids.. 3 I carried and 1 God carried to me! His time, His plan!

As a christian mom - I will stand with you and pray for you and rejoice with you!

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rene, thank you so very much for your beautiful words. My heart goes out to you on your miscarriages.
When I pray, I pray for children in our lives. I know my husband wants babies and babies that come form the union of the two of us. But it is in my heart to adopt older children. I do believe that God has a plan for us....I just wish He would give me a hint!! LOL!!

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  9:00:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mellaisbella

Hello my dear farm gial friends. I am looking for some Christian Fellowship. I can't seem to find any Christian friends that want to talk about the bible or any good books that they have read. I am trying to grow as a Christian and would like to chat with others who feel the same

Melanie, I am a christian sahm. I read the Psalm alot and started reading the power of a praying wife again. I love christian fiction. hugs

AngiK

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  04:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Rene - that was one of the most beautiful and Godly responses I have ever read on this board. Bless you.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  8:19:22 PM  Show Profile
what a great supporting, wonderful group we have here. WOW!!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:26:15 PM  Show Profile
I went to so many different churches growing up, and, like MANY of you in this forum, I became so frustrated, angry, hurt and SCARED by the teachings of the ministers and pastors, and by the way all the other "Christians" behaved.
I went to a Baptist church, several Christian churches, a Morman church-- I even studied with Jehovah's Witnesses for FIVE years!! I hear some of you cringing, but you know what? They were the FIRST people to ever read a scripture with me and did not TELL me what it said. They always ASKED me "What do YOU believe that scripture means?" That opened my eyes to a lot of things that I never knew or understood before. It's also taken me to the place I am now. Which is a VERY happy, peaceful place.

I haven't studied with the Witnesses in years. I have never been back to a Mormon or Baptist Church, but I DO go to Church. Every Sunday (it's a non-denomiational TEACHING church where we are ALL accountable and the Pastor doesn't solve everybody else's problems FOR them-- we learn to do that ourselves. With God's help of course!) And every Sunday, I am glad I went. My life has changed SO MUCH. I realized too that God never once turned his back on ME, but that I had turned my back on HIM because I believed what EVERYONE ELSE was TELLING me! Now I listen for HIS voice and I shut out the voices of others. I know he will always lead me down the right path-- even if I DON'T want to go!!! Blessings to you all,

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I have to add this too-- Rene'-- What a wonderful reply. I am so glad that you were blessed with the children of your heart.

And Melanie-- have you ever sat down and talked to your husband about adopting older children? You never know, God may already have a child all picked out for you. Once you bring that child into your home and into your life, I bet He will bless you with a child of your OWN making! That way you and your husband will have TWO children to love!!! One who NEEDED someone to love them, and the other one born from the love you share with your husband. Remember, all things are done in GODS way and in HIS time, not ours, and he DOES work in mysterious ways.....(he..he...he..) HUGS-HUGS-HUGS ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Jun 05 2008 2:40:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  07:13:15 AM  Show Profile
hi Tracy
yes, I have talked to my husband about adopting older children, but he would really like "one of his own" so that is why we are trying the fertility treatments.
I do really believe that God does things in His own way and in His own time.
I really fell blessed to have you all to talk to about this. It is so welcoming and loving to have your words of wisdom.
Hugs to you all!!!:)

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I just now stumbled upon this thread and am amazed at the wonderful support and outpouring of Christian women! This is so exciting! Thank you so much for starting this thread, Melanie. You asked if you should just pray once for something big in your life or to keep asking continually. Our relationship with God should be one of intimacy . . . the relationship of a parent that cares more immensely than we could ever imagine. When we go through huge issues, we come to those we love repeatedly and they walk us through them. It is the same, only greater with God. He wants to share in our hurts and our joys. It is not a lack of faith to come to God and say, "I know I already asked you to bless us with children, but today, I feel so sad and desperate." God wants us to share that. He wants to envelope us with His love and sustaining power. So keep sharing your thoughts and feelings . . . weather they be desperation, sadness, impatience, whatever. While of course we need a reverence of God, he doesn't want to be kept at arms length. He wants to be our every breath. In order to be that, he needs you to share all your thoughts and concerns.

We are involved in good church, but I too can admit it sometimes becomes a bit "routine" or like a Christian Country Club. But where we really find our "meat" is in our small group that meets in our home each Sunday night. This is a group of about 14 of us that are all seeking a much deeper walk with the Lord. We share such intimate things and the power of God is so real in this group that I often get actual goosebumps. These "home churches" are where I believe God is really able to show His power.

The author who has most influenced me is John Bevere. He is an amazing speaker and author. His website is www.messengerintl.org. His books make you really look deeply at yourself and your Christian walk. You can't read his books and be okay to simply "play church." Driven by Eternity is one of his books that truly changed my life. These books are painful though. You realize you can't simply declare ignorance and live a carnal life and have any sense of freedom. You need to make the choice to walk as a true Christian . . . seeking to live a life that is pleasing to God, even if that means rejection by many here on earth. Anyway, just a thought of some great material.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and insights.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  11:07:16 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, you thanked me for starting this thread, and I believe that a few others have thanks me too. Well, it is all of you that I should thank. Thank you all for all of your incredibly wonderful posts.
I feel that God led me to start this post and by reading your words and praying more, I am feeling more spirit filled.
I like your ending Brenda....Hugs and blessings, very good indeed!!

Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  11:55:06 AM  Show Profile
God is so good all of the time. Ecclesiastes 7:14

We are all pumpkin people. Choose which face you carve.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melanie,
I would say this - Keep honoring your hubby and it will all work out. I am ado pted and I was 9 - which for some is two old a child to get, but I am so greatful that someone took the chance to give me life I may not otherwise have. So when God chose to bring me a child through adoption, it felt just so "full circle for me". I am a firm believer that your heart will know what is right for you...Leave your heart open and you will be amazed at what God can do with an open heart!

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile
AMEN!! Rene, AMEN!!
In another province in Canada...there is a big campaign on now about adopting older children. whenever I think about adopting older children, I "see" a group of three siblings. that is one thing that my husband and I agree on, that if and when we do adopt, it will be older children.
And Renee, one more thing....what a blessing you must be to all of your friends and family, I sure know that you are a blessing to me. Thanks BIG HUGS!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page