Page: of 27

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Melanie.. I would say there are a lot of "blessing" on this thread.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  08:24:25 AM  Show Profile
I am reading a great book about uncluttering your life. It's about getting rid of physical clutter in your life such as papers lying around, extra clothes, stuff, etc...it is also about removing clutter that is stopping you from having a relationship with God. It is soooo good and it touching me in so many ways.
Who else is reading a good book?

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Blessings are sent to all this holiday weekend
Madison

We are all pumpkin people. Choose which face you carve.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
Wow you really got something going with this thread.
What is the name of the book on decluttering Sounds like one that I need to get
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  10:21:41 AM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful thread! I am really enjoying reading all the posts.
I am about to start (in June) a study of Matthew by Precept Ministries (Kay Arthur). I have taught Precept studies both at a church and online (I have a yahoogroup, though it is very quiet right now). They are wonderful studies!
After years of being very active in a mainline church (and even working for my church for several years) I find my husband and I worship at home a lot more these days. There is something peaceful and calming about that.I miss some of the fellowship but admit I don't miss other things like the strife. So, for now, we worship Him at home and are trying to really live our faith each day as He leads us.

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation".
Farmgirl Sister #254

Edited by - Caron on May 22 2009 10:22:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracy and everybody else.

I was raised in the church and am a Christian too.

Used to go to a non-denominational one. In fact, it's huge now to the tune of a congregation of 3,000! That's a lttle too big. By compairson, the one hubby goes to is dying and barely has a congregation of 80. Sadly, they only teach out of King James and pretty much shun anyone who deviates from this...including hubby. I stopped going there.

Hubby studies Apologetics and reads from authors like Norman Geisler and Frak Turek . These are big heavy hitting seminary type authors. He began listening to a speakier/teacher by the name of Ravi Zaccaraisus (sp) and has really turned hubby on to defending the Christian faith.

you'd be surprized how many untruths are out there when you are trained to listen for it and are prepared to defend the faith.

Unfortunately i just can't get into christian music ---although I still have a tape from Stryper.

It's very refreshing to see how many of us on this forum have a faith. I'm a little surprized....allbeit pleasantly. and i hate the stigma "religious". that just has a bad stigma
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
great to see this topic re-vived! Michelle, I will post the name/author of that book later (it's upstairs right now)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  6:52:06 PM  Show Profile
It is good to see this here. Thanks for pulling it back up, Madison.

I am in a Bible study group that has met for years. We have done every one of Beth Moore's studies. She is so good. I love how she makes everything so interesting. I really liked her study on Esther.

We have a realy good Christian music station here that I have gotten into. Just this past year. Before I could not listen to this new stuff. But now it's about all I listen to. Plus Moody radio.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  7:08:17 PM  Show Profile
it seems like you have alot of takers on this topic melanie, count me in too.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  7:45:48 PM  Show Profile
I listen to Christian radio most of the day and sometimes listen to Graham Cooke CDs. You can listen to the radio station I listen to anywhere
http://66.225.205.19/MediaPlayer-Spirit/
Madison

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  04:41:58 AM  Show Profile
I just jumped in to read this and have enjoyed all the comments. You'll laugh though, as until I read my own comment from last year I thought this was a new topic because it is sooooo relevant! Boy, this is a deep topic isn't it. I re-read all our posts from last year and am encouraged anew.
In the last 3 years I have "tried' three different churches. Each one had it's own plus and minus points in my mind and I'm okay with that. I have found a great church to attend, and personally would flounder if i didn't have that. We are all wired differently and so respond to different types of worship, teaching and fellowship. Just think about how many churches there are in this country!
I choose to listen to Christian music all the time, I have found that it permeates my day if I listen in the car on the way to work and smooths all the rough edges on the way home. If you feed the body good food, the body will be healthy.
Someone talked about passion, I agree, if you have "found" it, Jesus will shine through you regardless. People can tell (and you smile a lot too )
I do hope we can just keep this thread going. I think we are all on the same path and it is very encouraging to read of other's experiences.
May God Bless each of you.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  04:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Michele
the name of that book is "from clutter to clarity" by Nancy Twigg
I haven't finished reading it though as it got lost in the shuffle. I just found it when you asked about it. My lifeis OVERWHELMED with clutter and it is driving me nuts!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  05:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Anna, THIS made me laugh "Unfortunately i just can't get into christian music ---although I still have a tape from Stryper." We MUST be the same age! LOL!

Thank you, everyone, for all of your wonderful, wise, motivating and moving comments. I am so thankful to have found this thread!

I, too, love Beth Moore. Her energy and her love for the Lord and His word are so infectious. Plus, she is just so personable, funny and cute. I find myself wishing that I could be just like her.

I like Kay Arthur, also. Lovin' Man puts his stamp of approval on her Bible teaching and even goes so far as to say that she outdoes many men who assume to do the same. LOL!

I just read "Dinner with a Perfect Stranger" and found that was a wonderful book. Such an easy read and one that answers so many questions that a seeker might ask in a very straightforward way.

Right now I am reading "Faith Points", a book that a friend gave to me.

I go to a very small Bible church. I love to sing the old hymns, their depth and doctrine intertwined with beautiful melodies. Our pastor is a preacher/teacher and I am amazed at how skillfully he teaches so that old and young alike can learn and it is never dry.

I am so glad to have found this thread! And look forward to sharing in everyone's Christian walk, growth and struggles!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  05:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to you all! I am glad to see this topic revived (a revival!) and re-read the posts. God bless you all this Sunday morning, and I hope our sharing continues. Right now I have returned to Beth Moore's "Whispers of Hope". It is a scripture journal that encourages study and writing about your thoughts. Instead of doing it everyday, and being done in 70 days, I have spread mine out for literally years. I write in it, one day at a time, when I am led there. It is interesting to see my prayers and comments from two or three years ago, now that time has gone by. It gives me a sense of peace to sit with the book and my bible and spend time reading, praying, and writing.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  06:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean, I have got to go get that book now. It sounds really good. And our BS is over for the summer now so I need something to keep me focused. We have a really good book store in Chattanooga so I'll check there next week.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Kristen
I have ordered quite a few books from Amazon.com and with $3.99 shipping that is cheaper than gas.
Madison

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  7:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, let us know if you get a copy! It is a nice one to use if you are not doing a group BS. On Amazon, I saw over 30 new and used starting at 4.00 or so. But if you are going shopping anyway!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  04:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Good morning on this beautiful sunny day:)
I started this thread last year some time and I am soooooooo very glad that it has been "born again" (couldn't resist saying that LOL!!)
You gals feel like 'ol friends so I feel like I can share things with you.
I grew up going to a Catholic school and attending Catholic church. When I got old enough to start asking questions about GOd, Jesus and well, just about everything, I didn't fell I was taken seriously and i just kind of "grew out of" the Catholic church.
Later on in life, in my late 20's, I discovered different evengelical type churches. I just Loved the music and enjoyed the teaching and I learned so much. All of my questions were answered for sure!
Now I am married and have a child. We adopted Oliver when he was one hour old and he is the LOVE of my life. I want to raise him in a loving Christian home and to teach him about God. We are currently going to a United church as that is where my husband likes to go. I am not too fussy on it. Altough my minister is terrific and her teaching is terrific...the fellowship sucks (sorry , only word that can truly describe it) there is no bible study either.
So, I am not sure what "religion" I am. I only know in my heart that I love God and I feel so truly blessed and can feel Him in my life in so many ways.
I am so happy that we have a forum here to discus things in a positive way and to lift each other up.
Hugs to you all:)

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, you adopted a baby! What an answer to prayer. Oh, how wonderful for you! I am so glad to know that God gave you the desire of your heart, just as He said He would!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  08:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Melanie
I do believe that you are not any "religion" You are in relationship with Jesus who spread the news of the Kingdom of God.
Madison

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  10:16:01 AM  Show Profile
How does Amazon work? I've never done that before. But if I can get it there, I'd rather. I hate shopping and if I can get out of it I will. Do I just type in Amazon and search?

And I agree with you, Madison. "Religon" has gotten so messed up and so many rules and so much business anymore. I am slowly getting to where I don't want to go to church. I feel like I don't have a place there anymore. I have gone to a certain church for alost 30 yaers now. I love it and I love my church family, but lately I have just felt alienated for some reason. I know it's me . I am not the same person I was last year or even yesterday. I think I'm reverting back to my "hippiness" and really don't like crowds and not really liking to be around people. I know that's not a good thing. But if I didn't have to go check on a friend in town, I wouldn't even leave my property. It could be menopause, too. But I like being at home. And I can see God all over the place, not just in church. So I am ok with not going to "church".

Melanie, how is little Oliver doing? He's got to be close to a year old now? I bet he's all over the place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Count me in! I love discussing matters of faith. Right now I'm reading a couple of books by Scott Hahn (apologietics). For Christian fiction I like Beverly Lewis, Karen Kingsbury to name a couple. As long as it's contemporary fiction I generally like it or about ancient times.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Kris
you just go to www.amazon.com and then you can type in a title of a book.

Last year God led me out of my church of 10 years & showed me that He wanted me to take time with Him. Not on just Sunday but all of the time. It really freed me to be me in Him. There was not a set time but times that I chose to be with God which were actually more meaningful because it wasn't a time set for me. There was a grieving time of losing my "see you on Sunday" friends but as time has passed & I know that I have done what God wanted God has showed me who he wants me to be with & who was superficial. There was alot of warfare with people saying "you are not a Christian, why did you leave, are you mad, did you join a cult?" All such funny questions because I am so much more content in closer to God now than ever before.
Madison

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  1:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Kris - you will have to choose a password and an ID to buy I think, or to open an account with Amazon. But that is safe, I have had an account there for a long time. But you can just put the name of the book in the field and hit the word search or go, and it will bring up all the books with that name. There are two others by different authors. So you will choose the one by Beth Moore. Then if you pay, you can enter a credit card number and your info. It is fairly self explanatory as you go through the steps. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  6:08:37 PM  Show Profile
I just spent about an hour on Amazon.com ordering the Beth Moore book. ( I have dial-up) I got it for $8.01 total! And a hard cover, too. So thanks for the suggestion, ya'll. I can't wait to get it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page