Page: of 27

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
This is a great thread to read. I love seeing everyones passion. I have been slowing down. Running a ministry (www.scarletlifeline.org)keeps me very busy. And even though I know I am doing what I know God called me to do, I get too busy sometimes and forget to put Him first. So, I have really been trying to simplify. I find God and I worship in the daily things I do.

When I hang clothes out on the line, that is totally spiritual to me...quiet time with God.
When I am working in the kitchen, baking, or cleaning...that is quiet time with God.
When I take walks in my garden...I talk with God.

I like my church and the friends I have there and I think fellowship with like minded people is great. Just like we do here on this chat. But I feel I am really developing a closeness with the Lord when I slow down and listen and remember all the ways He has blessed me, even in my daily chores. Then I am renewed to go out into the world and do the work He asks of me.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Jessica you are so right! Slowing down is the key. I call it being thoughtful where you are. So many times we are doing one thing and thinking of the 20 other things we need to do. When I focus on the here an now I feel a piece and commune with God.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I am enjoying reading this thread ladies. What a great way to encourage one another. You all have mentioned some real good books. I enjoy Emilie Barnes books a lot. I find for myself I have trouble with the really indepth stuff so I have a tendency to just mostly read God's Word. I think fellowshipping is very important or God wouldn't have said not to forske the gathering together of ourselves. Looking forward to moreof this discussion. I am very familiar with home `church and the aspects of finding a church. There is no perfect church until Christ comes to bring His church back to himself. We have found a place we are comfortable with in worship and the preaching is biblical,straightforward. No tippytoeing around. We are grateful for a Pastor who tells it from the Word.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Great thread...I love to attend church but with taking care of fragile wee ones the last year has kept me from going regularly. My husband takes the children each week. I struggle with a large gathering and would prefer a small group. I love our church tho', great teaching and worship. I believe in the scripture "of not forsaking the gathering of saints", but I do not think it means for corporate gathering on Sunday. DH does not agree and does not want to home church at this time, tho we have when we are sick or snowed in.

While DH and children are attending I listen to recordings from Vision Forum. I miss the fellowship and usually make up for that during the summer at a ladies bible study. I am currently reading "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God" too. It has been a great read! Just completed "Family Driven Faith" by Voddie Baucham.

My bible study time consists of "Women of Faith" study guides. I seem to do better with this type of study, staying focused. I am doing "Living above Worry and Stress".

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jessica,
I checked out your ministry website. very cool. I am adopted. My bio mom died when I was 8 - this type of ministry would have been exactly what she needed. When I attend Northwest Univercity in the 80's I was involved in Street Ministries and I really loved it, since then I have been a volunteer helping with domestic violence so on a small scale I know it can be both rewarding and exhausting, so thanks for what you do.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  6:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Thanks Rene,
Yeah, it can be exhausting and heartbreaking sometimes more than rewarding but I know it is where I am suppose to be. I just have to always remember to put God first, tend to my family and, like I posted before, really slow down. I tend to worry about the girls I help and I have to remind myself that they aren't really 'mine' to worry after. Having farmgirl roots and a farmgirl mindset, I think, keeps me real and I can pull from that simplicity and values when I counsel girls. Being a part of this sisterhood and chat really gives me encouragement! So, Thank you gals...This is christian fellowship at it's best!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  7:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jessica,
I know the slowing down thing is HUGE..Last year I quit a career that was totally stressing me out, I was working WAY to much. now I am working 3/4 time at a local winery ( which I love), am the assistant manager of the local farmers market, and am on the women's ministry council board at our church and have time for our farmgirl chapter....(Matter of fact - we are talking about a second chapter of farmgirls for the ladies at my church, how fun is that?.........I have never regretted slowing down. and restructuring my life to "FIT" my dreams and goals. We are finding so many young mom 's in our church are wanting the experience we can offer through the chapter.. "homemakeing skills", etc. SO it is fun!

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  11:56:49 PM  Show Profile
I just decided to look here and what do I find but this wonderful topic.
I have been in organized church, in home church and now quietly in a commnuity of belivers, small gathering. Not communue gals, just on a journey with fellow believers about truly what did the gospel mean. That Jesus was involved in community and was passionate. This is what I am discovering that God gave me my passions, whether they are in the work place, at home, that they are a part of who I am. That following those passions is living out the gospel for me. If I am passionate about whatever I do, his love shines through when I least expect it, in ways that surprize me constantly. I find myself more passionate about my relationship with him. That I am so much tolerant of myself to myself and to to others.
What started this for me was 6 years finally "getting it about this one fact"
That Jesus loves me no matter what I do or don't do. It was that don't do that I hadn't really truly understood. Yes, have walked this walk a long time but goodness that hit me like a ton of bricks. If Christ really did it all on the cross, then why did I feel like I had to do "things" or not do things to have his acceptance when he so already accepted me regardless. So often we acquait our walks with perfomance and don't even know that we have. My focus is so different now and I truly am not sure I know how to put it into words. Finally, I have let myself be "human". That he made me "human" in all my quirps and mistakes and falling on my face it is okay to just be that human.

You talked of the pain that we give each other in churches, we have so many expectations at times, I know that I did, and no church organization or human beings can fullfill those, but Jesus sure can. What a comfort.

Accepting those around me where they are at, accepting myself where I am at has been as Martha would say a very good thing.
Night ladies,
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:51:10 AM  Show Profile
WOW! WOW! WOW! I started this topic thinking that it would be nice to talk to some people about our faith and our relationship (or lack of, in my case) with Jesus. And you gals sure did respond BIG TIME!! Someone asked me (I'm sorry, I just read all three pages and can't remember who asked) if I am reading anything right now. Well see, that is kind of part of my struggle right now. I buy all of the books that I want to read to help me "grow" and never read them. I have 7 or 8 Joyce Myer books, 4 different types of bibles, thinking that one might be "better" than the others. Then I have about 25 other Christian books by assorted authors.
I attend church almost every Sunday (I work shift work taking care of Alzhimer patients) so I do miss church occasionally. But since we are all bein honest here, I feel that I don't get anything from my church. My minister is terrific, as a person, but I leave there feeling the same way I did when I entered. The people there are not friendly and there are no bible studies, or fellowship. The only reason why I go to that church is because my husband loves it. For he teenage years, he was angry with God and when he reached his early 30's he decided that he needed more in his life and decided to go to church and has been going to the same church since. He enjoys it, but My spiritual cup seems empty.
Years ago, I attended a church that was the "full meal deal" I looked forward to going, I truly enjoyed the message and left there reflecting for days about what was said. One of the best parts too was the fact that the fellowship was so good.(this church was in another province, so I can't go back:( )
Now I feel that I have rambled quite a bit...so I'll go for now, but I just want to add how wonderfully hopeful I feel now that I have all of your spirit filled arms around me and each other and I do have hope that I can, and we can all grow together......Peace be with you all:)

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, I do the same thing with the books. I actually overwhelm myself! I really like my NIV Women's devotional bible beause there is a devotional to read every day along with a scripture and some 'points to ponder'. That way, I don't have to sit there and try and decide what to read. Also, it has different reading programs listed in the back so that you can keep track. I tend to be a list maker so that helps me a lot. I have made a promise to myself that I am not going to buy any more books until I have read the ones I already have. I love to own lots of books but I think I am over-burdening myself with too much to choose from.Oh boy, I just posted today looking for books on the Civil War.Man, do I need help!)
Anyway, my suggestion is to choose one bible to use for right now, one devotional and make little notes in a note-book. The 'keep it simple...' rule really is a good idea!
Thank-you again for starting this topic.
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  1:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Did you ever hear of a group called "Women of Faith" It is Echumenical.I am member of small group here in NY They have once a year conferences. The Speakers are very Christ like and You meet many many people just like you. Believe me you'll find a lot of Women Of Faith friends Go on-line Womanoffaith.com

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  3:45:45 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Linda! Awesome conferences and a good organization. I went last year in Rochester and am sooo excited to be going agian in 3 weeks! Again, another way to worship, fellowship, encourage and learn. The more we do this the more we soak up HIS word.
I am a member of Aglow International, another great organization with chapters (Lighthouses) all over the world. I have found our monthly get together to be very beneficial as you fellowship with ladies from other churches around your area.
Here is the web-site. www.aglow.org
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  4:00:25 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I have been to see Beth Moore in person two times. The weekend conferences were so great. 20,000 Christian women in one place at one time. You should have heard the sound of all those bible pages turning at once! It was awesome!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  4:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
Sometimes it isn't what you get out of church but what you put in that makes a difference. I know there are times that I have an attitude of well I'm here what will I get out of it this week when really I need to ask what does God want me to do. Be it giving Him something such as a certain area in my life or being there for someone else. There are lots of good reads out there but making sure those books don't take the place of God's Word is important. Sometimes I fall into that and so I need to be careful that I am taking the time to read the Bible first.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  8:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing when woman get together, I think as I grow older I have realized more and more how important that has been for me. Years ago I was in Aglow and really enjoyed it, it was when my kids were younger and they were a great support.
I have heard about the Woman of Faith Conferences and the gals that have gone have been very uplifted and encouraged.

I have found that devotionals that had verses to go to, or Devotional bibles were helpful when you don't know where to start and it gets overwhelming to figure out where to start and open up to, espcially on days that are busy and crazy and I just don't want to have to make one more decision. Yep, I can tell on myself.

Amazing what a bit of honesty begins....lol

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile
I just began reading this thread and I am so excited. When I read Rene say that she was in Beth Moore's study on Stepping up, I just had to stop and type. Thank all of you for suggesting the different books that have blessed you. Kay Aruthur is another favorite.

I am in a 'main line ' church and I am comfortable. However, I am not uncomfortable with other that choose to worship the way they are most comfortable with. sometimes we forget that the main prupose is just that to worship. We get caught on in all the "stuff" and the real calling that Christ taught was love and you farm girls have certainly responded to that call.

I will be writing and listening more and a hughe thanks for this thread.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  6:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I am a big fan of Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen. Why? Because when I get done listening to and watching them on tv I am so excited about being a Christian that I can hardly stand it! I start my mornings at 6am with Joyce and wind up with Joel at 9pm. I open and close my day in the word and it sure does help! Susan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Great thread!!! I'm here too! I love Kay Arthur but haven't read much Beth Moore. Have any of you read The Shack? It is just the best book.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  07:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kay - what is the Shack and who is it by? I am looking for a new "read" for the summer.

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Angie
Thanks for your advice....thans everyone for responding in such a huge way. The Spirit really is moving in us!! This is what I need. I was looking for fellowship in my community, I was just looking in the wrong community. I thought that I need the people to help me with my walk with Christ to be people that I see every day. But here you all are and although I can't physically see you and sit down with you in person to talk about what is in my heart, I can do that in a different way. Oh how much joy in in my heart now that I have you all. Blessings to us all and may we all grow in the spirit of the Lord together!!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile
The Shack is by William P. Young. It is a fictional book about a man who loses his daughter to an abductor. For 4 years this man suffers through the "Great Sadness" and just goes through the motions of life, angry at God, etc. Then he receives a note in his mailbox inviting him to go back to the cabin where his daughter was held and it is signed "Papa". That is the name that is wife calls God. He can't believe that God would send him a note much less invite him to that cabin but he goes anyway. I'll not tell more except to say that after you read it you will see God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in a whole new way. It is one of the best books I have ever read. Go to www.theshackbook.com and there is more information.

I love Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen too. I watch them both on TV. Joyce Meyer was in Portland not too long ago and I wanted to go see her so badly but couldn't.

Edited by - therusticcottage on May 19 2008 1:53:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:29:55 AM  Show Profile
I want to encourage everyone to own a reference bible. That is a bible that has a lot of maps, explanations, and helps in it. As I read the scriptures, since I am not a bible scholar, it is so helpful to look at notes below which describe certain passages, give a translation definition, or give a cross references which deepens your understanding of what a particular verse or passage is saying and the context it was written in. There is so much material out there, and great bible studies, but being grounded in the scripture needs to come first, and reading the bible is key. I started to study the bible seriously only about 6 years ago, and it has been the most glorious experience, and one that I know will never end!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Amen to that Jeannie!! About 3 years ago I got a Women of Faith Study Bible which has helped so much. I also like because it has spaces on the pages where I can write in the margins. When I feel particularly touched by a passage or when the pastor teaches about a scripture, I like to write in my bible about it.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  11:41:03 AM  Show Profile
If anyone's looking for a good fiction book, I would recommend "Gilead" by Marylinne Robinson. Hard to sum up the plot, but it's such a wise and kind book. It's a quiet story. It's got tragedy and love but not a lot of violence or crime.

Hey, Melanie, I'm actually going to be in PEI for a vacation next week. Maybe we could meet for lunch or coffee?
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little late to this topic but I'm always looking for fellowship with other Christian women. I started a website called The Catholic Wife, which is designed to contain articles/recipes/tips/etc. for living as a Christian woman in today's society (which makes it difficult.) I also created a message board that is accessible through my main site. I hear from people all over the country who have left encouraging messages on my website and I really appreciate it. Makes me feel like the labor of love is worth it!

Another great study is called "Women of Grace" by Johnette Benkovich.

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page