Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Chores for a five year old Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am starting a chore chart for my five year old. What are some of the things that you let your five year old do??

She sets the table, picks up her room (usually), separates her dirty clothes into lights and darks.

We have dogs, so I might put feed the dogs on her list. I have her help me dust and such.

But since the end of school is coming, I want to give her a list of chores she must do. She gets an allowance.

Suggestions??

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:58:30 AM  Show Profile
helping you pull weeds
gathering eggs
picking ripe veggys

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:31:17 AM  Show Profile
I put mine on wagon duty. She has to pull the wagon of fresh veges to the house, pick up limbs from the yard and fill the wagon with them, pull the wagon full of canned goods from the kitchen door to the basement door, haul the plants to the garden, you could even have her pull the clothes back and forth from the clothes line. I also had her hauling the compost buckets out to the pile and adding them in. Watch her as she helps you through the day and you'll be able to see what she is capable of.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  03:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Emptying wastebaskets, clearing the table, setting the table, using a napkin, saying please and thank you w/o being prompted, picking up toys, turning lights off when leaving the room, making their bed

Am I a slave driver or what!?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
No Annab, not at all. Being an only, I think she needs to learn co operation and working as a team. She does good with this at school. She even picks up stuff people leave on the floor in stores.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you got a well behaved kiddo there! I'm still trying to convince mine that it doesn't matter if you made the mess if you can see it, clean it up.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  11:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
For the most part. She has her days. Being around some of the other kids at school, she tries some of the nonsense.

My Mom thinks that I am too hard on her. But I wasn't allow to touch anything. I learned how to do wash by reading the washing machine. I am glad I learned my way to do things.

Five is more than old enough to help out. She was making her bed at three.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  12:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Amy this is wonderful and I've gained some good suggestions for my kids too! My kids take their dirty clothes and throw them down the laundry shoot. They also help load the washing machine and dryer. My 3 year old LOVES to clean the lint trap. My daughter Aria LOVES to get the mail. I have my 8 year old son help water plants both indoors and out. LOVES it! Fun fun fun. Children love to be helpful and feel like they're contributing. Often at the dinner table, I'll make a toast in honor of one of the kids who did something extra special. It usually turns into something I recognize about each of them, which is so much fun too.

Have a wonderful weekend, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  12:34:28 PM  Show Profile
I think that you are doing a great thing. Chores make children feel like they are part of a "team" - your family. My boys did everything, now 25 and 21, inside and outside. They can change the oil in their cars to cooking a meal for 25 people. I am surprised when kids their own age don't know how to do basic stuff. I felt that chores also prepared them for life. Funny they have both dated girls that did not know how to boil water. But I know that my boys would not go hungry, have clean clothes, and don't forget a clean bathroom. The chores have given them the confidence in life that they could do anything that they wanted! I say let her direct you in what she is able to do and remember chores can be fun! Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Chores for a five year old Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page