tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  12:33:42 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Beth Moore's new book and she is doing a book discussion over at her blog. I am reading Luke and Psalms right now. The book of Psalms is one of my favorites. As I was pondering things today I was thinking how amazing God's love is. Think of how much He love us...just humbles my heart.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  1:51:21 PM  Show Profile
What do you think of the book so far Tammy??

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
sorry that I haven't really added much to this post . Please know that I am so thankful to God that we are able to talk so freely about our faith:)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Melanie I am just glad you started this thread, it is one of my favorite ones
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  7:19:38 PM  Show Profile
well Rae, I have only read the first two chapters and have felt God nudging me to be a bit honest on my own insecurities, even though I have much to be thankful for. But I need to get more into it. I am reading it as she assigns it for the book discussion...so will let you know more as I get into it more. I will be going to the simulcast in April to hear her speak.

melanie I am so glad we have this link...it is one my favorites too :)

blessings
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Tammy my book came today. I haven't had time to read any yet but anxious to take a look.

Could us some prayer to stay strong with money right now. We are really trying hard to get some bills paid off so can get some more stuff done here at the farm. Most of the time I can stay pretty focused but some days can get rough if I am having a feel sorry for Rae day. Also trying to think of different things to do here to make some more money from things here on farm. Been selling eggs and have been making some potholder/dishrag sets to sell. Always open for ideas but know prayer is the most powerful. When I keep focused on God I do good but sometimes I am not so strong and think I can handle my life.... God certainly has a big laugh about then!!!

Well kind of went on and on here.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  6:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Rae,
I will certainly pray for you. I understand totally about trying to stay strong with money. We have been hit with some unexpected expenses and my hubby was without job for while so we are still in recovery from that. I think like you do...I thinkg I can handle life and then wham I see I am not so strong and God I am sure is having a giggle over this and waiting patiently for me to let HIm do things his way. I am stubborn sometimes. Hang in there.

Blessings
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  6:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I will keep you in my prayers. I know how easy it is to get lured to buy things

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I am so excited to find this thread and share my favorite author. Has anyone ever read any Catherine Marshall? She is my absolute, #1 favorite christian writer.
Several years ago I went through a seperation and divorce. I prayed and prayed for a Godly mentor. Didn't get one in the way I expected. I stumbled upon a Catherine Marshall book, "Meeting God at Every Turn" and read it. It was an answer to prayer. My "mentor" came in the form of an author (one who is no longer alive, but God works in ways we don't understand!).
She writes with such candor and honesty about her life and her faith. "Meeting God at Every Turn" is her life story. Other great ones are "A Closer Walk", which are her journal entries, and "Something More", which is a little more deep.

I have read most everything she has written since and I re-read them all them time. In fact, I buy old copies off ebay and give them to people.
You probably won't find copies of her books in bookstores, but your library might have some copies or you can usually find them on Ebay.
Thanks for letting me share!
Jamie Rose

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Jamie have you read Christy or Julie. I love Christy and have read it many times!!! She is a very good author. I only read Christian fiction and I love it, keeps me focused. Also it is in a way a friend when you feel alone and going through tough times. Don't know if that makes sense but you can go into the stories and find strength, hope and love.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Rae, yes, Christy is the first book I read by her. I loved it. I tried reading Julie, but never got into it. Then I discovered her non-fiction books. All her writing is wonderful and her non-fiction books tend to read like a story.

Jamie

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  03:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Jamie do you have any others you really like. I have so many that I enjoy. Too bad I couldn't make money reading the books I have

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile
I remember that my mother used to read Catherine Marshall. She even recommended her books to me, but I never took her up on it. I think I'll try to track some down through my library. I've used up my book budget for now, so I will have to see if they have any of her books in the system.

Farmgirl Sister #1191
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I'd really like to join you girls if there's room for one more. I love learning about the bible and Beth Moore is at the top of my list. I've lead several studies at church using Beth Moore books. Have a good evening girls.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  3:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is welcome and I love learning from other people as well. It is so fun to share with others and talk about the wonders God puts into our lives.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  3:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, I know I'm going to really enjoy being here!

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  04:25:18 AM  Show Profile
I have often asked for prayers regarding finances here and want to say I paid off a bill!!! Yipppeee to never be again so on to another one.
I do need continued prayers to stay strong and get us out of debt, then we can really hit the farming stuff

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm new here, but I'll thrilled that I found you. I have been reading all the post and you can't help but get excited. God is Good!!! And I believe he has led us all here to support and work through all topics. I've always been a believer in God and attended church from a young age. But have also had my times when I was just withdrawn from it all. Never did my faith slide but the whole going to church things bothered me. Several years ago our church build on and can hold alot of people and serve alot of causes in the community. Which is GOOD! But it got to where I felt that their goal was to get out there and the number of members was important. I felt the bible learning was taking second place. And I mentioned that we need to feed the one's we have so they can then grow and be able to plant the word elsewhere. Anyway, long story short I attended a weekend retreat, just for women and boy did I GET IT! Right in the middle of all the discussion did I truelly understand the meaning of GRACE! And when that happens you know that you whole life has changed. I always felt that Jesus has forgiven others if they have turned to him and asked forgiveness. But not for me, Because I felt guilty for some decisions that I had made. But I knew right then that he included me also! He was just waiting for me to accept that and hand it all over to him. And you know what, I've gone back to church and I know that is where he wants me. There is so much I can offer to other's just like me. And I try to see their side in the decisions they make as a church at large. Forgiveness, exceptance, and all the blessings we receive just pretty much is summed up to GRACE. Life is beautiful no matter where we are in it, when we know we are traveling with God. Thank you girls for being here so we can share this love with each other.

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I understand the church thing. Sometimes the Pastor at my church seems to wander off and the whole sermon looses me and then the next week It can be frustrating because I really do need that "word" with me. My church is very very small and the congregation is elderly. They are the nicest people in the world but miss some of the things that go on at other churches. But, I never lost my faith in God, maybe my faith in my at times but I know God is always there patiently waiting for me to get it together.
I do host a Bible Study at my house for a very small group of friends. It is nice because we can come to each other in prayer with our hurts and concerns as well as joys!!
That is cool you feel your really found a place within your church. Sometimes some, I think, get too big and do forget what they are there for. There is so much need though in communities as well, just hard to find the balance some days.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I read a lot of christian non-fiction. I like biographies, personal stories, and I tend to like the older stuff. I feel I learn more by the witness of other peoples lives and their stories than by a "How to be a better Christian" book.

My other favorites:
"No Compromise" by Melody Green (it's Keith Green's story, he was radical, and I love his music, too!),
anything about George Muller (he lived an amazing life of faith, they even made a Veggie Tale about him),
a book called "The Happiest People on Earth" by Demos Shakarian, and "The Cross and the Switchblade" by David Wilkerson (this is the story of how he founded Teen Challange).

Hope that gives you some good ideas of a few good reads. I always scour the book shelves at rummage sales and thrift stores in hopes of finding another "older" christian author to read.

Has anyone else read any of these? Most of these are probably not in print anymore, but you can find them online or at the library.

Jamie Rose

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is really good, I think. The book that really changed my life is In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, I recommend that book to people all the time and in fact bought quite a few and have passed them out. They were very cheap on Christian Book Distributors.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Jamie~
I have read No Compromise (excellent!!!) and will be reading about George Muller to my kiddos sometime in the future.

I have found that I am always inspired, strengthened and encouraged by the Christian witness in the books about Missionaries. This is not to say that there isn't any good Christian fiction out there, but I feel the Lord has really used the faith of those that have gone before us to teach us amazing lessons!

I have also read the Elizabeth Elliot books about her husband Jim and the other Missionaries. There are so many fascinating biographies to read about heroes of the faith! I am reading a book right now about the Reformation and the Puritans history. It's really interesting.

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  1:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know where I've been but somehow missed this thread . . . glad I found it!!!

I am in my 2nd time around of reading the entire Bible in one year. I discovered a Bible reading program put out by the Navigators group. Started is last year and am doing it again. You read 2 OT passages and 2 NT passages each day for 25 days each month. That gives you a few days at the end of the month to go back to something if you like, catch up if you've missed some days, etc. It has been a REALLY GOOD thing for me.

I also use Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost for His Highest" EVERY day . . . and go back through it each year, year after year. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO practical for me!!!
I like to read and have a lot of books, most of them Christian, however, I have so little time for reading. Hopefully I'll get more time someday!!!
THANKS FOR SHARING . . . and PRAYING!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  4:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I felt so good the first time I got through the Bible. I plan to read it again and again. Trying to take my time and really read and understand the best I can also.

Well prayers are needed finances again We are going to buy some of my sister-in-laws land, and trying to decide if we should go 40 acres and could pay off our bills, 80 acres and only half the bills. Kind of thinking if she wants to get rid of the other we could buy that in a few years and .... The land is family land and would be nice for the farming but additional 40 would also do us ok. Mmmmm kind of sounds like I am leaning one way Thoughts and prayers???
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  4:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Right now hubby and I are facing a scare with his job security. Sometimes I feel so distressed. It does not help me to sit down and read a book or watch TV, or even go outside and walk or work in the garden. I keep worrying. The only thing I can do to remove my worry is read the scriptures. I have a journal I love by Beth Moore, and I sit down with it and study the Word and write and pray, and then I find peace.

God is good! And I hope He gets us through this without a major life change. We will see.

Rae - I will pray with you about the land purchase. What a blessing to have that choice to make! More farmland. Wonderful

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page