amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
My pastor has us reading a book a month... this month is 2nd Samuel.
I also read only christian novels, I feel it does not allow my thoughts to wander.

Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Rae,
My fiance has read the Bible in its entirty 3x listened to it 2x. Geesh! He explains that each time he reads it there is more understanding. That something you didnt think about or breezed by before stands out.

It def has a impact when you get the WHOLE story when you read the Bible not a book about the bible that someone else has written.

amomfly,
That is a wonderful way for you to guard yourself. I am proud of you! Many people would just think something secular would be ok and it wont affect them.

~Kayce~
Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  11:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Kayce I find each time I read things I get more out of it and sometimes after reading it and reading it all of a sudden it clicks like oh wow that is what they are saying, really amazing!!

I find lots of comfort in the gospels!

The secular can cause ones head/brain to wander. Besides I like things that a nice with good endings which I find in my Christian fiction. When there is a problem they turn to God and those little reminders are nice on a daily basis
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kayce! I learned long ago how secular reading and smutty shows can pull from my walk with God.
Rae, that is exactly what I meant! You took the words right out pf mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  12:38:44 AM  Show Profile
FYI on the barter section I have a topic books. My daughter and I have gone through some of our books, Christian Fiction, and are getting rid of quite a few. Later today I will try and list some of the titles if anyone is interested.

Sad how that secular junk can pull a person into it without one even realizing. Maybe because it is so accepted in society, really is a sad thing isn't it. I always feel much better during good and bad when my focus stays on God. It is like there is nothing We can't do together!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  3:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I DID IT!!! I can now say I have read the entire Bible! Just feels so good. Now will go back and read different areas, starting with the gospels because I really like them

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  05:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Rae! The gospels are great! Enjoy!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Yay!!! Way to go Rae!!!!

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  07:36:17 AM  Show Profile
ooo ooo Is there a badge for that. Well there oughta be

~Kayce~

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  08:06:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you !! It really feels so good. Now when I am reading again I plan to slow way down and do a little more study/though into it. Amazing how each time you read you get more out of it or actually get what it really is saying!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Edited by - Old Spirit on Jan 26 2010 08:08:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  7:25:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree RAe,
I am reading Luke and the book of Psalms. I find it so interesting when I read a verse I have read several times and then I learn something or see something I had not before.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it great, I have read and read and all of a sudden it is like oh wow that is what it is saying

My christian book barter is going pretty good, many books have found new homes!! I am donating some to a church for their library and another church that runs a second hand store. My little mission field
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Rae:
Praise and glory to you for completing the reading of the Bible. I am trying, half way through it. I have a special garden area outside, surrounded with stone angles. I call it the "Prayer Garden". It is there that I sit and read the Bible aloud. I love doing that. It is the only thing that calms me.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  12:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Marly that is how I feel about our place in the country. We live so simple in a one room garage turned into a home. My husband and I always remark as we go up the road to our driveway we feel like we are going back in time. We are in the middle of the woods, really, and are starting to farm. It is so peaceful. Before we moved here 3 years ago when I was really stressed out I would go out there and just feel the peace and sanity return.

We have dreamed of it for years and thank God for the blessings. We prayed before we even started building for God to bless it and I am sure that is where the peace comes from.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile
This is a most excellent thread! Thank you for starting it and continuing it.

For several years, I have been wondering what I would be like if I only read the Bible (gulp). I am a fast reader ( a Harlequin in 45 minutes) so I read voraciously, say 10 to 15 books in a three-week period and thick books, like Grisham, Crichton, Grafton, etc. Well, just after Christmas I took the plunge and determined to only read the Bible this year. In just over a month, I started at Revelation and read backwards, book by book, and am in Luke. Samething with the OT and am at Song of Solomon.

It really is true that different things stand out at different times. I have been raised in the church (my mother was the organist) and have gone all my life so a lot of the Bible is very familiar to me. But certain phrases or verses will impact me now. I underline them or star them. I can't wait to finish this go-round; start over; and see what I find new! Actually, the next go-round will be longest book to shortest book in each Testament.

Anybody else have different ways to read the Bible?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  03:23:49 AM  Show Profile
When I did mine it was broken into 6 sections, M - Sa so you read something different each day. Just feels good to say I have read the whole thing. As I said I am reading NT again and starting with Matt, slowly and really thinking about what I am reading.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  08:17:38 AM  Show Profile
hi all!

This is reminding me of a little story I read about once. A older man was telling it and it went something like this:

"I was walking through the woods just outside of town one day, when I met a young man that lived a little down the road from me. I was carrying my bible and looking for a good spot to sit and read it and he asked me if I had ever read Ephesians. He pulled out a copy of the single book, it was very small and said he was bored so he just read it through 15 times. I noticed that he was different somehow, more peaceful, and as he told me about the book I realized that I never met someone who so exemplified the book of Ephesians. I asked him why he read that book so many times instead of something else and he said, simply, it's the only book I had.

"I have since read Ephesians 15 times as well and I understand it so clearly. I feel like it's a part of me now. I have also read other books the same way. The first three times or so I'm picking up new things and nuances, the next 5-10 times I call the platau and it's just hard and dull and feels pointless. After the platau, however, the book just comes alive and, I believe, becomes a part of you."

-The End-

So, I haven't done this, yet. I get to that platau and I just don't have the hours and hours it takes to do that! I remember his story saying something about having to do it all at one time. And I don't know what I think about the wierd kind of mysticism mixed in there, but I'd still like to try it one day. Maybe you girls would too :) And a thought to make myself feel a bit better about their wierdness of it is that Jewish boys, all of them (in Old Testament times at least) were required to completely memorize the first 5 books of the bible. So, I can't imagine how many times they would have read them...

that's all, happy reading ladies!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:19:54 AM  Show Profile
This is great. I just found this thread and it encouraged me to see so many others excited about the bible. It really is the living word isnt it? Written so many years ago and yet pertians to today and what we are going thru now?
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  11:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is amazing that yet today it has answers to every question you have in life. When I read of the love God has for us and his forgiving heart it totally takes my breath away, so much love!!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile
I always am so pleased when I hear of others desiring to read God's word. So many christians never pick it up during the week, and now so many churches have the verses on power point, many don't even bother to take their bible to church. I don't know how peolpe can get through difficult times without having God's word in their heart. It is my anchor!

I just finished reading through Galatians - Colossians. Don't know where to go next, so I am reading the Psalms till the Lord says 'over here!'. Keep up the good work ladies. As iron sharpens iron...grateful for this thread!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

salliemae
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Freda
Loganville Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  3:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Dear Ladies,

I am new to this but I'm desperate for fellowship. Could you catch me up and pull me in?

Salliemae
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  5:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Salliemae!!!

We just throw out things of interest or need. Lately we have been discussing reading the Bible. I am also a huge fan of Christian fiction, in fact that is pretty much only what I read. It keeps me focused on God and his glory.

I am a fan of Beth Moore also, anyone else? I just ordered her newest book. We have done one the Getting out of the Pit one for Bible study and are currently doing her book John. I really enjoy her and tivo her on Wed. She is on James Robison or Life Today, it is listed 2 different ways depending on the channel.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

salliemae
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Freda
Loganville Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  04:22:44 AM  Show Profile
What is Beth Moore's newest book?

Also have you ever read the Ishbain Conspiracy by Randy Acorn? It is such a good book for teens. I couldn't put it down. I really don't read much fiction but this one had so much truth in it to me.

Thank you for the welcome.

Salliemae
Go to Top of Page

salliemae
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Freda
Loganville Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  04:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Julia---
I just read your blog for Friday,12th. You really have a way with words. Thank you so much for writing this. It really touched my heart.

Salliemae
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile
So Long Insecurity: You've been a bad friend to us is Beth Moores' new book.

No I haven't read the Randy Acorn book. I am besides my fiction reading the Bible again. I am reading the NT first this time and then will take some books from OT. Just feels good to say I have read the whole thing. Always amazes me how words written then pertain to today, our God is AMAZING!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page