mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  05:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello my dear farm gial friends. I am looking for some Christian Fellowship. I can't seem to find any Christian friends that want to talk about the bible or any good books that they have read. I am trying to grow as a Christian and would like to chat with others who feel the same

"learn to watch snails" SARK

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  06:41:50 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to chat about the Bible and such. There's plenty of wisdom to be found in its pages. What kind of Christian books do you like to read??

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie, I am here if you would ever like to chat about anything.....I am trying to read the Bible more, but at times I just "get lost" and I don't get into it as much as I should.

On another note I am contimplating getting the book called "The Creative Call" by Janice Elsheimer again at the library (and really go though it this time). It is a Christian version of the Artist's Way book by Julia Cameron.

I like the SARK quote that you have in your signature line....we all need to learn to take the time and slow down in life...tho soooo hard to do at times.

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on May 14 2008 06:57:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  07:00:47 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy studing the bible and using other books to help me grow and understand. It was interesting to read that you were looking to grow in your faith. My DH and I just had that discussion last week. Until a few years ago we were very involved within our church community and had a close relationship with God. Over the last few years we have allowed bad experiences with other church members to effect our believes and judgement. To make a long story short we now realize that others are not responsible for our relationship with God, we are. So we are searching for a church and looking to grow.

Right now I am reading a book called SHINE - Be the Change You Want To See. It is written by a contemporary Christian music group called the Newsboys. Many years ago when they were starting in the Christian music industry, I was working for a Christian distributorship. I had the opportunity to see up close many of the people that are writters, singers, musicians, and ministers. The Newsboys inpressed me with their spirit of humbleness and yearning to know God. When this book came out I bought it for my 17 year old. Guess what? It has opened my eyes! The book covers their spiritual growth, the trial and tribulations they faced (and still do) as well as the joy in knowing God. The bigger thing is their experiences in seeking to live for Christ in an authentic way.So much of what they say rings true to me in my search. There is also a study guide in the back and lots of bible passage refereances.

What are you ladies reading??

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Tamara, that sounds like it must have been a fun job! There are some amazing Christians out there in the music business! I'm a fan of the Newsboys myself. My all time favorite is Casting Crowns...they have incredible lyrics.

I'm re-reading a book now called 'An Endless Falling in Love', by an author named Ty Gibson. It's focus is on developing that deep relationship with God, and it is the only book I've found so far that makes me feel so happy while I read it! It's worth looking into! I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the Newsboys' book, I'm always up for new reading. :) Especially love books with study guides, those are fun to work through.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  07:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ha.. count me in. Personally I think anything that Beth Moore and Kay Arthur write is awesome. I teach precepts bible studies and love them...If you want a real summer study look into kay Arthurs, "our covenant God"... very very very good!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! I haven't read any books lately that fit this category. I'd be interested in suggestions and discussions.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  09:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Rene, I love Kay Arthur and Beth Moore! I think their studies are wonderful. The Precept Studies by Kay Arthur really have you digging into the meaning of verses.

Tamara

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on May 14 2008 09:14:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
This is a topic I used to be very interested in, but like Tamara I've had a lot of bad experiences with other Christians/churches and that's put me off it. Haven't changed my beliefs, I just don't get along with evangelical Christianity and is there any other kind these days?

I'd be interested in books that have to do with history or biblical studies. I'm not so big on the kind of stuff you usually find in a "Christian bookstore". I worked at one all through high school and college, so I've had enough!
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Rene, I too like Kay Arthur precept studies! I like how she uses the truth from the Bible to speak for her and not so much of her own ideas. I am starting to read "Dangerous Surrender" by Kay Warren. I am very particular about what I like to read but, this is about working in ministry and I started one called Scarlet Lifeline last year, we help women in need and crisis, we partner with our local pregnancy help cntr., and crisis intervention agencies. www.scarletlifeline.org
So far it has been a good read, helpful. We really like our church. We have been going there for about 6 years. I understand about the "bad expirences" it is difficult to find a church that holds 'real' people, but once you do it is awesome!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  1:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had a bad experience with churches, per se, I'm just not overly fond of them myself. They become too routine, scheduled, and rehearsed. It becomes simply a habit to attend church, and can turn into a social hour, it seems, rather than a worship session.

I'm really trying to overcome that mindset, though, because churches also offer amazing support in our Christian walks, give us opportunities to serve others, etc.

But right now I'm more content spending the day out in the middle of nowhere...like hiking, horseback riding, etc. It helps clear my mind from the week, I can pray uninterrupted about things that are near and dear to me, and being close to nature helps me feel close to the Creator, as well.

What are some of your favorite things about church and church services? I should look at the positive...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  2:08:27 PM  Show Profile
I love to study and read the bible. My favorite book on faith, belief and relationship with God is called Knowing God, by J.I.Packer. It will take you to the scriptures, so have your bible handy and use it as you go. It is a thorough and sound read.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  2:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I know we're all posting our favorite reading recommendations here, lol, but this one is really, really worth reading and would be my suggestion...'An Endless Falling in Love'. :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  4:14:15 PM  Show Profile
You know one of the topics Jesus spoke very little about was Church. As a matter of fact he condemed the Priest for relying on rituals and laws too much (doing a little paraphrasing here). Sometime churches ( people) get lost in the rituals and lose site of the reason we come together. But when it is right it is a wonder to experience God move in a group of people.

I also like to remind people that you can Homechurch. That is kind of what Jodi is talking about. Some of my most moving experiences has been when it is just God and I.

We use to get together with a few friends and have worship, bible study and prayer. That was a very precious time for us.

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi and Ami - I am sorry - and I totally KNOW what you mean, there was a time where I was so frustrated. I guess for me, I finally decided it was less about others and more about me. Faith is as much me as anything... and I honor that just like I do the farmgirl in me....It was all much easier when I realized that GOD already knows me... warts and all.. So I dont have to pretend to be anything I am not, or fit into a cookie cutter mold of thoers.. I dont have to put on a sunday face, or be someone else at church.... My church (Nazarene) is just very accepting.. we all just come as we are.... we are very diverse... we seem to understand that this is a journey and we are all doing the very best we can do...Our denomination is big on GRACE and the fact that we all need it...So we spend very little time worrying about where someone else is.. and more time on our own walk.....My granddad had a saying that has always stuck with me and it goes like this.. "I never want to be so heavenly minded, that I am no earthly good".. and I love that. The bible is full of stories that talk about the pharocies - those people that were bathed in "the law" and were less concerned about Love then they were with law.. and Jesus condemned them....

My philosophy is this - People dont care what you know.. until they know how much you care. I feel I dont have the right to offer advice to anyone if I am not willing to meet the needs they have first....

There are two things I notice the most in churches (any denomination) that turn people off.. 1) Some actu holier then thou.... and 2) people are disappointed when they find we are less then perfect..both can cause a huge gap between people.

I think; for me faith is like being a farmgirl... we say it is a matter of the heart.... as a farmgirl we giv each other GRACE as we arent all at the same level in "whatever the topic is" and the same is with faith.. where ever you are is OK...it is the matter of the heart that matters...

So many of my "heart friends" friends of of different faiths, different levels of faith... but we all KNOW that we are on a journey and that God finds a way to speak to us.. even if it isnt from a pastor at a pulpit.

I am less than perfect (way less).. which I am so glad that God judges the heart...I love that you are willing to have the discussion. How cool is that!

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile
One author I remember liking is NT Wright. I read his very slim book called (if I remember correctly) "Who Was Jesus Really?" and then I got his much much longer book "Jesus and the Victory of God", but I have to admit I've only dipped into that one. He's very good at summing up the different major schools of thinking among New Testament scholars and weighing their strong and weak points. If you find that sort of thing intimidating or confusing, he's a helpful guide.

Jodi, I am in much the same place as you. I feel like I need freedom and open air to bring me close to God so much more than songs and a sermon. The work week is so full of obligations and sitting still that I just despair when I have to do more of the same on one of my precious weekend days. I wish I found church more fulfilling, but I don't see any way to make it different.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  03:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, Thank-you for beginning this topic. I cannot tell you how excited I am to see all of the girls encouraging each other. I had debated starting a topic like this and the Enemy took hold of my fear and ran with it. You have a desire in your heart to know the Lord more. He knows that and if you are open and willing he will fill all the nooks and crannies with Himself!

Remember, you have the rest of your life to walk with Him! (I get really impatient and think I have all this catching up to do!)Some days I open my bible and just sort of 'skim' and nothing seems to sink in. I have found that having a daily devotional tied to reading a bible verse or scripture really helps me. Makes it relevant. I have quite a few devotionals but love Daily Bread. You know, the little book by RBC ministries that comes in the mail every month?
As far as going to church, for me it is important to go. Not because I feel I 'have' to but because I need the fellowship of other Christians. Now, I know, we are all human and people will always let us down but God never will. I enjoy making the commitment to HIM, going to worship HIM and learning something from the lessson. I go to a contemporary church with traditional biblical values and love it! But, I do have to work at building relationships within the church because it is quite big. I have to be the change! So, I figure, I wil lstep out in faith and volunteer for some things that I might not normally do. That way, I can meet some fellow members at a more intimate level..even if it is while we are serving tea & coffee!
I have a stack of christian books still to read on my shelves and am hoping that maybe one day I will get to read them all! In the mean time, here is a scripture that my friend Vivian uses at the end of all her e-mails.

"We wait in Hope for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.
In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His Holy Name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put
our Hope in You!" Psalm 33: 20-22

I would like you all to know too, that I would love to keep you in prayer. If you have specific prayer needs, please e-mail me. I would be honored to stand with you in prayer.
Happy Thursday everyone!
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  03:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning To All

I had a question for Melanie who was led to start this thread. Are you reading anything right now.

And to all the Farm Girls - Are any of you studying any particular bible verse or book right now?

Have a Blessed Day

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Tamara,
I am doing "psalms of accent" study called Stepping up with beth Moore - it is awesome. I am also in the study called "the way of Agapa" by Nancy Missler.

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  07:40:44 AM  Show Profile
My boyfriend and I are working our way through the book of Revelation right now, Tamara. What I really love about that book is the amazing physical descriptions of God that it gives us. They make Him sound so awesome and beautiful...mighty. Like, Revelation 1:13-18. It's almost poetic--our God is incredible!! Also, in the first few chapters, it goes over God's addresses to the different churches. One thing I've really appreciated about those, is they point out some specific areas I can work on improving in my life through the grace of Jesus. It's like reading a constructive critique that an instructer might give a student. Here's an example, from chapter 2...'3. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. 4. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. 5. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.' He starts out encouraging them, and awknowledging their efforts. Then He gives some pointers for enhancing their relationship with Him. I kind of take the mentioned 'first love' as perhaps that first enthusiasm and even love-driven obsession that comes right after really seeing Jesus for the first time. So I can apply this here by making sure I don't get so caught up in running the race, so to speak, that I forget Whom it is I run for. The love for God is our motivation. If we loose that, we loose our vision.

Rene, I love the way you paralleled our Christian walk to our farmgirl spirit! Especially how you mentioned that we kind of extend a grace to one another here on the forum when we encounter our differences (and we ARE a VERY diverse group of people). I look at Christ's life here on earth, and you really see the way He gave us that grace. I mean, look at who He chose to be His disciples--they all came from different walks of life, everything from a tax collector to fishermen. They had one thing in common, though, and that was their desire to follow Jesus on the journey. They were a less-than-perfect bunch of people, but Jesus loved them until He took His last breath on the cross. It's humbling to think that He extends so much mercy and grace to us, to me...

But another thought, Tamara--thanks for bringing up how Jesus reacted to the organized church during His time on earth. I'd never really thought to look for His take on the matter. But really, He did have a hard time with the hypocrisy and routine/traditions of the church. And He spent more time out talking with His disciples about salvation and heaven than He spent in the synagogues, I think. Kinda the whole home church idea...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of trying to catch up and having time for God - check out a post I made on my blog last week!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi, Everything so beautifully stated. I think that "we" (people) spend way to much time trying to find what is different about us, then what we have in common. Like Ardis Eckel (writer for MJ mag- says, every woman has a story - and if I have Grace enough for your story and where you are, then I find enough Grace for my own "stuff".

I dont know that we can blame organized church - as it is like other "groups" filled with individuals. I think it is more basic then that. I think that if we as individuals can choose to walk in Grace daily, focus on the things God would have US change in our own hearts and lives then we would have less time to worry about what others are or arent doing... For some reason as humans we find it easier to focus on the issues others have and less on our own. Since we are all called to right living ( or righteousness).. and non of us here on earth will ever attain it.. it seems that we need to walk our walk.. share and support those that ask.. and leave judgments to "the father"..

Believing that being a christian is a personal relationship - with a real God - it is heart breaking to know that the "church" has wounded people.. although I KNOW it has.. So I would say this... FINE... build your own church, meet in a house, a barn, a wheat field.. a chair under your favorite tree........It reuly doesnt matter, just put the time in....to build the relationship.. the rest will work itself out.

I am anxious and eager to hear how gals are finding ways to invest the time and where they are doing it.. SO I hope we all continue to post....

for example, I had downloaded the bible study to my ipod and listened while I was riding the horse this morning....felt like church to me....

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  09:47:23 AM  Show Profile
In the gospels, we're instructed to not judge people, too. Which completely goes with what you're saying, Rene--leaving the judgement to God, because He knows the heart. I like how you pointed out that we still need to share and offer support, because that is what Jesus' mission was on earth, and He's our example. We just need to do it with a loving heart and open arms, and that's the part a lot of people miss. I think the reason churches hurt a lot of people is simply because the individuals within the church don't pay attention to the above point. I suppose that is where we need to take it upon ourselves to just keep in focus that God is what it's about, not others' opinions of us, our lives, and our relationship with Him. Cuz all that will do is hinder our view of the Savior.

Anybody here read a book called 'Fill My Cup, Lord'?? I can't remember who the author is, but it is such a wonderful book. I think those of us who like tea could really enjoy the parallels in it...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Mm, I remembered. The author is Emilie Barnes...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile
What a lovely thread! I've got to go back through and make a list of all the good books I've read about. You've all expressed to many worthy thoughts to ponder. I am currently reading "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God". It really speaks to me where I am at in my life.

Currently, we home church. We have a young one that because of his condition can't attend public forums right now. But my husband gathers us together and we read from God's word and talk and talk and talk about how it applies to our lives. We get out the old hymnals and sing praises. It is a glorious time of worship ... even though there only 5 of us here. I do miss the fellowship, however, and so look forward to when we can return see other smiling faces.

Love that verse, Angie. I may add that to my emails as well. I would be so happy to encourage others as it has encouraged me today!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Ladies so much of what you are saying rings with such truth. It is our own personal walk with God that is important. You can not judge nor should you judge others and their walk. I think that as a Christian community we sometimes use the church as a crutch.

I for one have been guilty of serving at the cost of my own relationship with God. I look back on the times that we were through the church doors everytime it opened, youth group leaders, bible studies, missions, choir, praise team.... You get the picture. Not that any of these are bad thing or that we should not do them BUT so many times we get caught up in the serving that we forget or cut back with our own one on one time with God. Now I know that even though I have a heart to serve, I can serve so much better when I slow down and take time to hear that small quiet voice of God. I know that God has revealed more to me when I have sought that precious private time before him in worship and prayer than at any other time.

As for finding time hmmmm.. I spend a lot of time driving (4 hours a day). So now I am looking for Christian books on cd. I now yearn to know truly know HIM and walk in his light so much that to me reading the bible and studying His word is as important as taking time to eat or sleep. I read with my first cup of coffee in the morning, I read during my lunch, I read at least a verse or two before bed. In between times I contemplate what I read earlier. This is the first time in my life this desire has been this strong.

I am so glad each of you are here!

Tamara

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on May 15 2008 11:09:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page