Page: of 27

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Julia I love the eagles wings verse. It has been my life saver many a time, it says so much and gives comfort.
Take care
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
welcome Winnie I know that you'll like it here:)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  03:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Grandma Winnie, I happened on this;
http://mag.thelife.com/youth/
It has some study guides for teens. This was one of the many web-sites I have book-marked, you might find it helpful.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Fellowship is hard enough to find, but, those who just accept you as you are even harder....

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Julia, my MIL had no college and just had her life experience as a wife and homemaker from the age of 19. a few years ago she needed to find work and she ended up finding work as a secretary for the vice president of a local Christian College. She managed her whold family and had a little side job working with computers in the early 90's, but computer had come quite a long ways since that time to the time she was applying. But it's the perfect job for her. Her life and God had perfectly prepared her to be a secretary at that job. It's just perfect. I'm praying the same for you! That God's perfect place for you is just around the corner. I have learned though, that many times our ideas of 'perfect' and God's ideas are very different. He may have you do something to prepare you for something else! I've been getting through my life as of late thinking about how glorious things will look on the other side of the mountain. this mountain that God will move for me. I know the other side of this will be glorious for you as well. I pray that you remain encouraged and excited to see God's hand moving mountains for you.

May God Richly Bless you, my beloved,

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Heather you said that beautifully!!!! How are things going Julia? I hold firm that God indeed always has plans. That is part of why I have decided to never deny my belief and love of my Lord, whether at work or where ever I am. I do not want to stand before him and have to say I denied when I was asked. He will protect us and guide us even though it is hard to see at times.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:11:54 PM  Show Profile
My go-to girls, have you ever been outright, verbally accosted for your beliefs? And if so, how did you handle it? What was your argument and was it persuasive?

Last night, two of my co-workers and I went to get something to eat together. Eventually, the conversation turned to our beliefs. The breakdown, I was brought-up in the Methodist church, one friend was brought-up extremely Pentecostal, the other wasn't brought-up in any church. I don't quite remember how the conversation got started, but the Pentecostal friend made a comment about how this life is all there is, there is nothing more. I told her that I didn't believe that. She asked what I believe and I told her that I believe that our earthly home is not our permanent home and that we are each bestowed with a spirit/soul that will leave this earthly home to our spiritual home when we "die". She told me to prove that. I can't. It's just what I believe. She told me that was right, it was just a belief and couldn't be proved. She told me she respected me, but that I was wrong because there is nothing more than the here and now and we should make the best of it. She warned me to not try to use Scripture on her because she knows the Bible better than I, she had no doubt. She told me that all I have is hope and that was beautiful, but it was wrong.

I was flabbergasted.

She had this pitying attitude, like "you poor stupid girl". Every time I tried to make a point, she interrupted me. What really floored me was when she asked me if I consider myself to be a Christian. I told her that I do. She said that I can't be. I asked what made her say that. She asked me if I believed the definition of being a Christian was to be Christ-like. I told her I did. She said she could say that I wasn't a Christian because I'm not Christ-like. What?! She said that if I were Christ-like, I wouldn't be sitting there having dinner with them, that I'd be giving the money I spent on dinner to someone in our very county who was going hungry; that I wouldn't be living in my house, I'd sell it and give the money to the less-fortunate or just give my home to those homeless in our area; that I would devote my entire life to the less-fortunate like Mother Teresa. She said that Mother Teresa is the only person to have ever lived who could be called a true Christian. I tried to argue that my husband and I do help the less-fortunate, only we believe in the Biblical principle of not letting our left hand know what our right hand does. She sadly shook her head and told me that we are all too selfish to be considered as or to think of ourselves as Christians. There was so much more to the conversation that I can't remember. She did tell me that I was not helping our other friend eating with us. That I was just confusing her. She came just short of calling me a hypocrite.

Ya'll, I have been wrestling with this since then. That's how we left each other. And I am so ashamed, feeling like I have let my God down. My concern is for the other friend. I had this opportunity to share with her and feel like I had Satan himself sitting at the table and he won. I can honestly say that I've never had this outright witnessing opportunity and I blew it. If you've read my post about my beach trip with a so-called friend, you know that I don't do well with a confrontation. My brain freezes up and I feel as though I'm yelling to get my point across when I'm being constantly interrupted. Yelling is no way to handle this type of situation. I'm praying for some way to "fix" this. The Pentecostal friend, she doesn't have ears to hear, I'm afraid. She's totally in God's hands. But the other friend, maybe not. The two of them are business partners and spend a lot of time together. I just don't know.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

www.cherrymedarlin.etsy.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  10:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Cherry, I don't think that you can or should attempt to argue with a person who claims to have all the answers. The only voice that they want to hear is their own.

Don't berate yourself because it's not in your nature to verbally duel with her. My style of faith is more private, and I've also been upset being accosted on the street.

If YOU shouldn't have been having dinner, why was SHE there?

I think there is something else going on here. Maybe a power play that you were not aware of.

I can understand your concern for the other person, but I don't think that I would initiate a conversation with her over this.

Just imagine--if she is right, you won't have to cope with her in the hereafter.

Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  04:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary You are soooooo right on that reply We need to pray for that lost one God Bless you all Bert Bush
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  04:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Cherry,
It is never our job to prove anything. If a person doesn't believe Scripture is the truth then it would do no good to bring it up. I always say " God's word says this....." I do not say I believe a certain thing unless I say it and then add because God's word says and what ever it is. Is it that there is one interpretation but many applications? I believe that is the way it goes.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 06 2009 04:32:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  05:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Cherry ouch that must have been tough!!! Your friend is way off base. The Bible talks about heaven, Jesus going ahead to prepare a place for us, in his mansion are many rooms....
Faith is believing what we can not see but know is true. Your friend obviously does not know the Bible and I feel for here. We live Christ like the best we can, we are human and will always fall short. I think the enemy uses people like that to try and throw us off and doubt our own faith. He often will try use the Bible against us knowing it is God's word.
It throws me for a loop when people come at me like that and I need to work on what I will say, in the end I just close with I believe in the Bible and what God says is so, everlasting life. I know in my heart it is so but I wish I was good with words.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  07:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, ladies. I am more at peace now. (Praying for me, huh?! It worked, of course!) Your response, Rosemary, is interesting to me. You described her perfectly. She does believe she has all the answers and that they are all the correct answers and there is something of a tug-of-war with the other friend caught in the middle. Well, not consciously on my part, but on her part, sure. My faith is a private matter, too. I think of that hymn we sang at camp, "they will know we are Christians by our love". Not because we told them so!

I need to remember that, Denise, that it's not my job to prove the Word of God. She made that age-old argument about the accuracy of the Bible. I told her that I study the direct Hebrew translation of the OT and she claimed THAT wasn't accurate either. Score one for me though (which just goes to show how WRONG the whole convo was), she asked if I was there when the Hebrew was written and that's how I know it's accurate and I shot back with, "Were you there to know that it's NOT accurate?" Silly of me, I know.

But you're right, Rae, I felt like the enemy was using her because I did waste too much time afterwards doubting my faith. Doubting whether I was being responsible with my faith.

What I've since told the other friend, the one not brought-up in church, is that if I am wrong about my faith and my beliefs, then I have nothing to lose, but if the other friend is wrong, then she has everything to lose. I don't feel there's anymore I can say.

Thank you so much to each of you!! I appreciate you!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Cherry I thought of you while I was in church this morning. God inspired/breathed every word of the Bible, doesn't matter if we were there or not. Abe Lincoln lived but I didn't see him but know he did... I think you actually were more of a threat to her than she will admit, otherwise wouldn't use that nonsense "were you there" or can you prove it. Actually you can prove it, your heart tells you so. Also has she ever felt God's presence I know I sure have. You did good really it just bugs me so I will be on a soap box for you Makes me realize I need to have my ideas clear, I usually get flustered and remember what I needed to say after the fact.
Ok good job my friend and God Bless you!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  8:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Cherry, sometimes people who are not happy push their feelings and beliefs on others. If she brings it up again ask her to "prove it." Those kind of people are unhappy and we as Christians can only pray for them, because they are "always right."
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  06:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that sure is a tough one isn't it?--the only thing that comes to my mind right now is "what would Jesus do?
Cherry, I think you handled the situation thebest you could.... I don't know if I could have been so calm

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile
LOL!!! Oh, Melanie, I was not calm! Far from it. I was a spittin' & a sputterin' because I felt trapped and cornered, having to defend beliefs that are as natural and unquestioning to me as breathing. Had she and I been alone, I would probably have been more calm, but I felt like I had to strongly make my case due to the undecided friend there and just felt that I failed miserably because I let my emotions get the best of me. I can never be accused of not being passionate about my beliefs! Ha!

Suzie, I don't know if her currently going through a divorce has anything to do with her beliefs, or lack thereof, but she does seem to be unhappy. I get the impression that she's simply acting. I don't know. I can admit that when I went through my divorce there were times I clung to my Father and times I ignored Him. But my husband and I worked things out and remarried, so I don't know. I just feel such sadness for her.

Rae, my sister said the same thing, that this girl had never felt God's presence. My sister said, "I know there is a God because I've felt His hands on me and I've seen how He's moved in my life." My sister had Lupus. It hit her hard and fast. Her pastor at the time came to her home and as he was praying for her healing, my sister felt a heat through-out her body and she said she just KNEW that the Lupus was gone. Within just a few weeks, her doctor began backing off of her treatments. Within a couple of months, all of her blood work was normal and she was declared in remission. Still, her ob/gyn insisted that my sister could never have children, that the pregnancy hormones would "re-activate" the Lupus and if her body didn't shut-down, she'd surely miscarry. Today, my sister has birthed three girls!!! My sister fussed at me for not telling about her healing during this conversation!!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Cherry maybe what happened was His way of showing that we don't have to prove anything about Him. It's not our job, it's the Holy Spirts job. I'm really serious, lets all look for scriptures where He instructs us to prove anything about Him.

This is the perfect kind of bible study.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile
good idea Melody June!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Cherry,
What a splendid and blessed testimony your sister has to share and with three living, breathing testimonies to boot!
I think we would be hard pressed to find anywhere in God's Word where we are told to prove anything. All we have to do is look around. God's presence is all around us, we just need to stop ignoring Him and it. I know I have a tendency to do that when things are going well and when things aren't going well I wonder. When in reality I wouldn't have to wonder if I were staying in communication with him and following his leading for me.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Denise, AMEN. Don't we forget when all goes good why it really is. I know I do and really am working on remembering where everything comes from and the bad usually produces some kind of good when I trust in God.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Rae,
I have trouble remembering that even when things are tough they are for my good as long as I am seeking God and His will.
We are so wrapped up in ourselves and tend to lose the focus. I have to purpose to keep my schedule of spending time reading and all. I get so easily side tracked. Reminds me of the verse when Paul is speaking about "that which I would, I do not and that which I would not, I do. That is me so much of the time. It can get discouraging but I am reminded that I am not supposed to be dependent on me. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  6:23:00 PM  Show Profile
That is part of why I really enjoy this because there are so many wonderful friends to remind me of this. I have been working really hard on finding God in everything. It isn't easy to remember but I am getting better than I was.
Part of why I love to read Christian fiction is because it really does help me keep focused on God. I love to read and this at least does focus on God.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  04:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
I can hardly believe that Fall is here. My most favorite time of the year. Something to think about. If you have not read Victory Over the Darkness or The Bondage Breaker by Dr Neil Anderson, about strongholds. I would encourage you to do so. These books will teach you how to live in freedom in these most trying times. Preparing you for difficulties that are sure to come. In daily life struggles as well as what we as a nation may face in the not so far off future. To learn who you really are in Christ, makes all the difference in the world. To live free from the evil one walking daily in forgiveness. Also, a book by Beth Moore, Praying Gods Word. Is along the same line as the two books I mentioned previously. Using Gods word to be free from certain strongholds. This is vital to live a Victorious Christian Life. 1 John 5:18 I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me. Most believers have not found this freedom because they have not been taught that they have the option.
Also check out:
Rom 8:1-2,2 Tim 1:7 I have not been given the spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...how many things? ALL things.
Be encouraged, God has not come to condemn us but to encourage us. Happy reading.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Sep 23 2009 04:15:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  04:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Beth Moore's Get out of that Pit is also good and about the strongholds in life.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  05:20:54 AM  Show Profile
Wow my book list just keeps growing I just hope I can find the time to read them all! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page