Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  10:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I like to have little gifts on hand for friend' birthdays and like that. One thing I do alot is make little needle cases. I love to do a little tiny crazy quilt block and then make a little book and hand sew the "cover" on with felt for the "batting". They are a big hit. I buy some nice needles and "stock" the case before giving. Anyone have any other simple fun little ideas for gifts to have on hand?

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  9:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Depending on the ages of the girls, I used to make fairy crowns and wands. The crowns are just elastic covered with a tube of some silky purple or silvery fabric longer than the elastic so it bunches up. It has to be big enough to fit a bit like a head band. And then I would attach bits of ribbon, sequins, whatever you can think of. I would take a wooden dowel or for a woodland fairy, a stick, and sew a star from similar fabric and match the doodads I had put around the crown with lots of ribbon dripping from the bottom of the star. You can also add matching or contrasting bracelets for wrists or ankles with jingle bells attached.

Another less fanciful item was clothing for "Ken" dolls. There's never enough good clothing for Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  10:11:48 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea..actually both of them...I agree about poor ken..he is always sporting some of GI Joe's clothes at our house (good thing we have a boy AND girls!) but nothing for a date..haha.
My youngest (7 year old girl) got a party invite today....I think the fairy crown and wand will be perfect. We can make it in the morning. What fun!!! I think I will make 2 so I have a spare for the next party.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  12:08:37 AM  Show Profile
I went to a woman's retreat a few years ago and one of the craft projects that was offered was to make "crowns". The table that held all of the supplies looked more like junk table, but if you were creative there were all sorts of options. I made one for my grandaughter out of netting and purple sparkly star wire stuff. I made one for myself and daughter out of raffia and ribbons... the longer the tails the better. They now hang in my office as we haven't created a festive mood to wear them in for a while now... but they are so pretty..!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  5:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of finding little gifts and keeping them on hand, but I got a new idea today. Someone in my family mailed me, despite the warm weather, a box of chocolates!!! I've decided that was so nice of her, I'm going to start a trend, and mail something to people I know, instead of just waiting for birthdays and other occasions. I can just imagine the look on their face when they receive a little something in the mail. I was so surprised and thankful, it really cheered me up (I was having a bad day). So don't keep it to yourself, spread a little cheer.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  11:10:14 PM  Show Profile
My son in Calif who is 24 sent me a box of See's chocolates on valentines day...totally NOT like him. What a sweet surprize. I agree...I should do that too...it is so fun to be surprized..even more fun to surprize someone. I like to bake pies and usually bake an extra and take it to someone I know for a surprize now and then. Always someone different.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother knit me a beautiful cream and black poncho many years ago for my 13th birthday. It was oversized so I still wear it proudly to this day. She lost the pattern years ago. I would like to knit my daughter a poncho for her 13th next year. Does anyone have a source for poncho patterns? Many thanks and I love your posts. Meadowlark Jenny from Kansas
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  7:12:12 PM  Show Profile
MeadowLark...there are lots of poncho patterns out there. You may even try the Lion Brand Yarns website. lionbrand.com They have free crochet and knitting patterns available.

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  09:32:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MeadowLark

My mother knit me a beautiful cream and black poncho many years ago for my 13th birthday. It was oversized so I still wear it proudly to this day. She lost the pattern years ago. I would like to knit my daughter a poncho for her 13th next year. Does anyone have a source for poncho patterns? Many thanks and I love your posts. Meadowlark Jenny from Kansas

Meadowlark...a great book that has some wonderful ponchos in it, "The Yarn Girls Guide to Simple Knits". Check your local library to see if they have it on the shelf.

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  09:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sherrie! You've been a great help. MeadowLark
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  7:32:34 PM  Show Profile
I thought I'd renew this topic since the holidays are coming up and there are always those people on my list,like my massage therapist, who I want to give "a little something" to. It seems that cookies are so ubiquitous that they are not all that welcome these days.

I like to knit up pretty washcloths from cotton yarn. Then I wrap them around a special bar of soap and tie with a coordinating ribbon. Sometimes I add a little sprig of lavendar or rosemary.

This one is a little more lavish but I have used it for gift exchanges as long as I know the farmgirl/woman who will be the recipient:

I wrap the top and the bottom of a shoe box, separately, in wrapping paper. Then I by three of the hottest or newest paperbacks in whatever genre is this person's favorite and put them in a box with a new pair of Isotoner (or isotoner like) slippers and a mini box of chocolates and an invitation for her to take a day out for herself, put her feet up, and escape. I tie the box closed with a pretty ribbon. This is ALWAYS a hit.

Anyone else????

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Edited by - thehouseminder on Oct 01 2005 06:44:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile
I love that mini-spa shoebox idea, that's a keeper! I can picture all of us getting that and soaking in Blue Egg Babe's outdoor tub, how decadent!

As for my little gifts: I collect teacup and saucers all year and the fill them with a scented wax/ wick combo or put some tea bags a few nicely wrapped truffles and an antique teaspoon all wrapped up gift basket style.It has been a hit either way and I have had requests for repeats!
For the men-folk I usually make fudge which they all seem to like. One year for a newly single male friend we made a mini cookbook of things we knew he liked and a little gift basket with some of the more unusual things he would need (spices,etc..) Last year we made him canning jars of instant dinners (dry chili ingredients layered, bean or lentil soups layered with spices, etc and even a cookie jar that he could make easily with all the dry ingredients measured out.
He has NOT mastered the art of survival cooking yet, so he needs a little help!Each jar has the full recipe tied to it so he can attempt the recipe again. He already asked me if we would do that again for him because they came in so handy on nights when he worked late or just didn't feel like "cooking".We don't mind, he's a great guy and went through a horrendous divorce, it's the least we can do!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  11:47:04 PM  Show Profile
wow ,all these ideas are great. I usally knit something ,a hat or scarf
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  07:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Wow, these are all wonderful ideas! Aunt Jenny - happen to have a picture of your needle case? I'd love to see them.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  3:37:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't...but will take one of the next one I make. I should make some more up soon...alot of little things on hand is always a good idea. I have been knitting more this week and I am behind on sewing!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Years ago I joined a email list called RAK, random acts of kindness. We would have a master list of members where we would just send a small something to each other whenever, it was so much fun, more to send, the whole idea of making or finding a special token for a far off cyber friend was such a feel good reward. The list only lasted about a year, sure do miss it. Good thread ladies!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
That sounds so sweet...kind of like the friendship ball where you put a little something in it and send it to a friend.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  3:24:47 PM  Show Profile
The last two postings reminded me of something Mom and I do for each other.

It started when I was in college in Texas. She sent a wonderful tin filled with homemade chocolate chip cookies to me around midterm time. I was so thrilled! I filled it with little things I know Mom loves like vintage sewing notions I found at garage sales and pieces of fabric left over from sewing for her to use in quilts. I sent it with a "REFILL PLEASE NOTE" which I really meant as a joke but a few months later, it cam back with some buttons, a volume of Joan Walsh Anglund poetry, and a vintage sewing pattern for my 1964 Skipper Doll.

I also sent tiny vintage dolls when I could find them. That tin has been around the world a few times by now! We never know what will be in it but what fun. I always make sure I have all my chores done before opening it. Then I pour a glass of wine (or sherry if it is wintertime) and slowly savour all of the clever things she has fitted into the box too. It's fun too while collecting the little things to go in it.

Hmmm, it's just about time for another shipment....

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Edited by - thehouseminder on Oct 03 2005 06:12:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  3:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Why don't we start one among the farmgirls? Oh, good. ANother project!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  5:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
LOL!!!! I love the idea!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda: that sounds like so much fun, with you and your mom.
Yep a farmgirl one sounds like fun to, I love that kinda stuff :)
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  04:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, what a wonderful memory maker for you and your Mom, how sweet! I'd love to start something like that, or maybe a round robin with a theme? I belonged to many round robins a few years ago, same group that started the RAK list, we had seed RR going, herbal RR going, you name it! They are easy and so much fun! Count me in!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I love to send packages to people, it's so fun to think of their faces when they get a package in the mail. My Mom sends me the BEST packages. Their always filled with craft stuff, things she's made, german chocolate and homemade socks from my Grandmom. All wrapped up in colorful tissue paper and the box always smells like my home. I love it. She's always asking me when I'm moving back home and I say "but if I move back home I won't get packages in the mail" so I made her promis that even if I live around the corner she has to still send packages.
Things I like to make as little gifts -- I like to make mixtures of loose tea, especailly for women which I call "moon tea" or for pregant women I have a special pregancy or labor tea, I have many different mixes but those are my favorites. I also like to make scented dream pillows or secent pillows that you can heat up in the microwave. When I'm working in clay I like to make Goddesses for people, thats always a favorite. I espeically like to make handmade cards this is way I jumped on the mail art so quick.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  1:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Another "out there" gift idea that always seems to fit for people I know, young and old alike, is a box of crayons, pad of paper, or coloring book and bouncy balls! I know wierd, but we all need to destress, and the scent of crayons have been proven to lower blood pressures. Even adults get a kick out of it and if they dont use it long, they are grateful to have it around when children come to visit.
Sqrl, can you send me your recipes for tea, I am really interested in learning to make my own, I have only made mint so far, and what herbs do you put in your pillows, this is just what I was looking for for my sisters for christmas!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
BRAND new crayons and color book! I don't think we ever outgrow that! Too fun!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I asked Clare if we should do the round robin on our own or ask the Farm to do it and she suggested I bring it up to Kate when she returns, so that's what I'll do. I'll let you all know what she says!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic little gifts Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page