Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 5

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:38:33 PM  Show Profile
I think I have a serious "problem" girls.

I cannot walk away from most of these items at the thrift store. I usually only go once a week, but as a treat to myself tonight, I allowed myself to stop on the way home from work.

Here's what I picked up tonight: 16 yards of mainly cotton material; 10 cotton napkins, 5 match, 2 match and 3 match all in plaids; 6 new knitted potholders, and 56 crocheted granny squares that were in a 25 cent bargin bin, spread hither and yon. Took me 15 minutes to dig them all out and I was charged 50 cents for the lot of them. Now all that has to be done is join them up. I just have visions of how all these things were meant to be used, especially all those granny squares. Some wonderful woman put alot of work into them... and I think it would be an honor to finish it for her.

Although I didn't get any tonight, I also can't seem to pass up some of the rustic type placemats... those that are woven especially appeal to me.

Is there a remedy to this situation or should I just allow it to "live"? It's not like I'm gathering these things up or hoarding them without any intentions to use them, because I truly do intend to... BUT, (thank goodness) I don't have a spouse, because I know I'd be catching flack for all this "gathering up" I've been doing!!

And, if any of you are also afflicted with this condition, please join in, pipe right up and confess. Misery loves company, or maybe it's bliss loves company??!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 01 2005 7:40:20 PM

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Can I be a charter member Clare???? How bout one for vintage aprons and tablecloths? Ebay needs to offer a hotline for women like me!!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 01 2005 7:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Of course those are included, Meadowlark... they just haven't been available to me lately, or I'm sure I would've snapped them up too! This is our hotline!!! I've found if I do not "subscribe" to a favorite search, then I do much better at avoiding the bargains. I was following two apron patterns over the weekend, but did not bid.. one was a 1930's the other a 1950 's. By the end, or near end, the total was up to $120.00!!!!!!!!!!! One silly new person was really bidding it up... It must've been the 1930's pattern that she wanted because 1950's patterns don't usually get pricey.

By comparsion, my $14.36 I spent tonight is pretty small potatoes!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 01 2005 7:49:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Clare, I hear ya! As a first timer on ebay I was bidding on the red bib gingham apron and it bidded up to 76.00 bucks! Reason took over and the lady got her mint bib apron... learning curve for sure! Some things ya have to walk away from...even if it hurts!

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Clare Bless you!! Did you read my plea for just such a place in the chatelaines forum. Right now I'm on a Mary Engelbreit tear. But since my house is in such a mess and I have no place to comfortably craft I've managed not to buy any fabric but it's not the same for patterns and my biggest downfall books and books and books and magazines. But I'm weakening and I'm being drawn to ebay and thrift stores hearing all your stories about the bargains and wonderful textiles you find. And now it's hankies! I found a neat little book about making crazy quilts out of hankies - can you imagine how much fun it's going to be looking for those!!!

And of course, I'll never have a nice place to craft if I'm too busy shopping to clean this house plus of course, I've just finished one crochet project and I have yarn to make some dishclothes for friends. Oh and did I mention that I found that we have a new Joanne's super store in my city. I wish I had never found that - of course I got some great yarn on sale and clearance. And I have an idea to design a crochet chatelaine and I'd like to incorporate some beads in it.

So I think I have a triple problem - Time management, money management and organizational problems. And I haven't even mentioned the new puppy coming in January. Maybe I should change my nick name to toobusy!!

But to make you all feel better I live alone so at least I'm not neglecting any children or a husband. The dogs make sure I feed them but two of them could use a good brush. One more thing to put on the to do list.

Serious - I've written this to be kind of funny but I am feeling overwhelmed and I don't have anything on my plate compared to many women. How do you guys do it? How do you establish routines? Do you use to do lists? Give me some hints.

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I tend to be the "queen of routine". I get teased about it. I do alot of lists too, but don't always follow through with the whole list. Just write alot of them. I have an extremely unorganized laundry room/sewing room, and a pretty bad bedroom (no closet..old house) but have a real routine with the rest to keep it at least not too bad. The kids have a regular chore chart that changes weekly (every saturday morning) and that helps with surface cleaning and getting trash put out and pets fed..and like that. It is sure easy to get overwhelmed, isn't it?
I need to be a member of your club too Clare!! Sometimes I think if I just finished all the projects I bought the patterns and materials for, or used only the craft kits, materials and stuff I already have on had I would be set for life, but does that stop me? NO!!!!!!!!
Oh well. I guess we could be addicted to alot worse things..right?

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi, my name is Kay and I'm a textile and stitchaholic. I admit that when I go into any place that has fabric I start to hyperventilate. I can hardly wait to go over and touch the fabric, run my hands over it to feel the texture. I am also addicted to old fabric, tablecloths, and linens. I never need to have a specific project in mind -- I just want to buy the fabric because I love it. I love bringing it home, opening the bag, and pulling out the nice folded squares of fabric. Then I carefully carry it to my sewing room, place it on the shelf (with the folded side out), and stand back to admire all the neat stacks of my beloved cloth!!!

Yes, I'm sick! And I'm sure there is a 12 step program out there for people like us but do we really want to be cured? I don't!!!

Jenny -- my sewing room is usually a mess. I just say that I'm in "creative mode" most of the time. I clean it up about once every two weeks, then the sewing bug hits again, and it's a mess once more!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Sisters!!!!!I need intervention and fast!!! Just put in two bids on ebay on 2 vintage aprons with wine bottle and cheese print!!!!! Help me!!!!!!!!!...NOT!!!!

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 01 2005 10:23:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  11:46:33 PM  Show Profile
As an addict to thrift shops, fabrics and craft items I am not alot of help. I just love going back thru boxes of stuff I have bought and squirrled away. It like finding treasure all over again.

Meadowlark, you slow down sister, you got to save your money for mate visiting!!!!

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  04:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Sigh, okay, here is how I justify my addiction......but maybe I am seriously in denial:
When I come across and pick up a well-made, well-loved apron, piece of needlework,quilt square,feedsack, napkins or tablecloth I immediately think of the woman that it belonged to or who stitched it.It makes me happy to think of her and the time she spent working on it or the creative spark she had when she bought the fabric.
It also makes me hopeful that someday, when I am long gone, yet another woman will appreciate what I have left behind and jump for joy when she pays 50 cents for it but treasures it like it was a priceless piece of art.
We are a sensitive bunch of women appreciating the belongings of other women who also took pride in making their homes a place of beauty.
As long as I can execute my "appreciation" and still pay my rent and
feed my family, I will continue.
By the way, I do occaisonally go through and recycle what I don't thoroughly love once and awhile and donate it back to a thrift shop, just so I can make room for new finds.
It is such an inexpensive, wonderful source of pleasure.....
I hope I am never "cured".
I hope none of us are....

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Aug 02 2005 06:54:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:11:19 AM  Show Profile
Okay, confession time here, too. A month ago I got the cutest apron (terry) on Ebay with a pink and brown rooster on it (only $5.00). Not too long ago, any apron bid on was usually a bargain, and the craze must be catching on, because the bid prices are rising.

Yesterday, I spent $35.00 in Jo-Ann Fabrics. And I passed up these neat kits from which you can make a beautiful purse that looks like oriental silk. They were gorgeous!

I cannot pass up anything that looks rustic, like hand-woven tablecloths and placemats, or throw blankets. But I use them everyday!

Over the years, I have spent a lot of hours going through piles of linens at antique and estate sales. I don't know about other parts of the country and world, but in the South, old table linens are plentiful and pretty inexpensive.

And don't even get me started on quilts!

I have a pie safe/bin in my sewing/art room that is filled with fabric. I love to look through the screen covered doors and see the different colors of the stacked fabric. Life's small pleasures!

Clare, good for you for giving yourself that treat - those kinds of treasure hunts make the day more fun.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - if you are online (it is 7:25 your time in the am), there is a wonderful bib apron on Ebay from England that is about to end. It is bid at $26.00.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! I thought I was the only one and this was my dirty little secret.

One of my big weaknesses is packaged trim of all kinds. I buy it by the box and bag full. I also use it. For example: I found four packages of "peppermint" striped bias tape which dates from the thirties last year. I just recently used it to trim a green Christmas apron I made for myself from a vintage apron pattern.

I think the reason I can't leave it alone is they used to make much nice colors and even patterns. When I was little, there were bias tapes with tiny flowers printed on them. My poor mother had to use it on every outfit one year to keep me happy. The other thing is IT"S COTTON. What has happened to the good old durable, natural cotton. It's prettier and feels nicer against the skin.

CONFESSION, I have this dream of opening up my own, unique fabric shop with vintage trims, buttons, patterns, and fabrics. I'd mix in wonderful new calicos and decorator prints like that wonderful stuff designed by Amy Butler of "Country Living." I'd have rescued hanks of hand crocheted, knitted, and tatted lace. No Polyester Trims or cheap looking laces. Wouldn't that be FUN!?!?! I don't mind sharing the idea because if any or all of you want to do the same, I'll be outside anxiously waiting for the door to open the very first day!

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, me too, me too!! I have a small collection of old aprons & hankies. Several of the aprons were clearly hand-stitched, and one is made from 5 large hankies pieced together. I use a few of them, but some are just for pretty. I don't sew *yet*, but I'm really really wanting to learn! I'd love to make my own aprons, and I'd LOVE a dress from the 30's to wear under them.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I gave up my Ebay fascination after several bad episodes, but I always say if I ever come up lost, the first places the police should check should be fabric and book stores, thrift and antique shops because it is certain that's where I was before I disappeared!
I don't believe I have ever walked away from a good vintage textile because they are just too hard to find again if you have regrets. I always figure now that if it doesn't work out, I can always resell it. I recently sold some vintage bedspreads (chenille and those Bates matelasse type) that women were fighting over at my table. Who knew they would start a bidding war and one of them (a Bates) would go for 280.00!)I usually set a limit on what I spend since money is an issue, $20.00 and under for smaller things ( and usually as low as possible!) but have made exceptions for a few things( my Gardiner Maine) all silk honeycomb quilt was $40.oo, but that was for me!And that was a BIG splurge even though it really was a steal!
I have gotten better about fabric and am convinced that I must use some of it before I can justify buying anymore. That doesn't rule out that absolutely fabulous, you'll never find this again yardage! ( $2.00 yd English chintz patterned Sunbrella outdoor fabric - 25 yds).
So do you see a pattern developing here? I am trying to walk the straight and narrow but I am frequently led astray! I have to say I was very good while up at camp, I did not go to town with the intention of buying more than a few grocery supplies, and sent my friends off to the quilt shop without me! I stayed behind and worked on a project that I have been working on for too long, and now I am almost finished!But I must confess ...we did go junking with great success!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  06:59:27 AM  Show Profile
I need to be a member of this group as well-i have all the symptoms; overflowing drawers and baskets, bits of old quilts and lace, jars and jars and tins and buckets of old buttons! i even have a button "string", about 18 inches long, strung with old buttons that i sit at my desk and run through my fingers as i'm studying or trying to write!

it's so bad, the little ladies at the Catholic thrift store i go to every week have started setting stuff back for me-last week, i bought a immaculate linen tablecloth with 8 napkins for $3.00 that they had saved for me.

i love vintage clothes as well. they don't fit me-i'm a generous size 18 but i love the style and feel of the fabrics.

i echo the sentiments from BlueEggBabe-i love to imagine who made this quilt or apron, what was their life like, etc? that's why i love to get stuff from aunts and cousins; they usually have stories to go along with their stuff.

better go-school stuff today. you guys make me laugh and feel like i'm not so alone anymore!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh well -- it's good to know that I'm not alone. Yes the apron prices are definitely rising on eBay. The craze is catching on because of the article in Country Living saying that aprons are a chic fashion statement. As soon as the little fashionistas are tired of the trend I'm sure the prices will go back down again. Unless, of course, Meadowlark keeps bidding and driving the prices up!!! The ladies in my Joann fabric store know me on a first name basis. I don't go as much as I used to since we moved out here. When the new store had it's grand opening I went to check it out. I had 2 sales people come up to me and give me hugs telling me that they had missed seeing me!! Now when that happens you know you've been hanging out in a certain store way too much.

I'm going to Portland today to see Steve's grandma. And Portland has Fabric Depot!!! It's like the Home Depot of fabric and is supposedly the largest fabric store on the West Coast. For some reason my car always starts to turn into the parking lot when I drive by!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  07:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I want to join the fabraholics club! I have a small 3 shelf bookcase in the corner of my dining/sewing room, with each shelf filled with fabrics and hankies , and even a big wicker laundry basket to the side filled with yarn for crocheting and even more fabric and batting! I bought two great round tablecloths at a yard sale (they both have these fabulous ruffles at the bottom), for $1.00 each, and my reason for getting them? For the fabric, of course!!! ROFL, I only use them for tablecloths right now until I can find a project for them! So good to know I am not alone (but with this group of ladies, I am not surprised a bit!)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  07:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
You guys give me hope. Thank you Aunt Jenny for your tip about to do lists. I did have some to do list early in the year and they did help me. I even put things down that I knew I would do even without a reminder but then it felt good to have the pleasure of marking the item done. I think I will also start a separate to do list for projects that I want to do. And I may subdivide that into house projects and craft projects. That way when I'm ready for a new project I'll have a place to go where I will know what I want to do - if I have any of the materials purchased already. That way I can make sure I make a decision rather then just picking up what I see next!

I think I know why I'm feeling so overwhelmed lately. I suddenly have my whole day to me. I have worked for years with mixed connective tissue disease and over the last 6 years I added a rotten commute and rapidly deteriorating back. It finally got to the point where even I couldn't take the pain any more and I am in the process of going out on long term disability. I guess I thought with my whole day even working at my very slow pace I would get a lot done. Was I ever wrong!!!

But that's neither here nor there. I know I have to baby my back and I can't do anything heavy or that involves lifting or sitting for any particular length of time in one position and I have to be on alert for letting the MCTD fatigue wipe me out. I have to get organized and get my priorities in order.

Thanks for giving me a place to sound off!! I know my "problem" is a little different then most every one elses but part of the reason I'm feeling overwhelmed is because my creativity has been so sparked by all the wonderful messages from all these wonderful women on these forums. I'm open to any and all suggestions because I do want to sell my suburban ranch and move somewhere I have to find time for a garden and probably some chickens too!!!

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Kathy--Have you checked out FlyLady.com yet? She's very good at giving ideas for time management and "project" accomplishment. It's also very funny! I deal w/ fibromyalgia so I have been slowed way down at times too and you get to feeling overwhelmed. She helps you not feel guilty and gives small increments of jobs at a time so you realize at the end of the day, week, month that you are getting things in hand. My problem is I have only one closet in this whole house. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile
I will add to my true confessions list of hoarding: checkered tablecloths which are too big for any of my tables...lots of aprons, cotton dishtowels, even bath towels (people give away pretty good stuff sometimes!). Lately I've picked up some curtain valences with cute ruffles because I'm sure I can incorporate them into aprons!!!, potholders- knitted, crocheted or quilted- doesn't matter!, old curtain valances - the lacey type- must be going out of style because sometimes you see lots of that available. Needlework kits that haven't even been opened!! Sewing, needlework books too! Some of these projects I pick up I need tips on how to finish them! Yesterday I also picked up the cutest homemade (I think) thread display board. It's made of peg board in the shape of a house with cute wood trim and in the attic section are short pegs for small spools, and the main house has large pegs for full size spools of thread! Too cute! Ohhh, aaaaaaannnnnnnnddddd.... I cannot resist woolen fabric... for all those braided rugs that are I'm going to make in my future. I have them all washed and semi-felted and boxed up nicely according to color groupings.... I think I have about 5 boxes of those... and about 6 boxes of cotton fabric....(these are the boxes that reams of paper come in, so they are good sized! ) plus some old flannel shirts that I just cannot justify using for rags, so I'm thinking maybe some cute country/farm type pillows are in their future! Definately old vintage dresser scarves and cute little table cloths and doiles... got a drawer full of those too! Plus I use those around the house. My place has a very cottage/country/farm feel to it. Can't help it, that's who I am. I'm with Kay and Kathigene, too... my whole house looks like my "craft studio"!!!

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile
hey kathy-sending you a big old hug!

it's good to have priorities, goodness knows we need them but don't let the "i oughta" rule your life. when you deal w/a chronic disease such as yours (MCTD) and mine (lupus), somedays the priority has to be "what can I do today?"

lots of changes going on in my life lately. I saw an episode of Oprah yesterday and this lady asked the question "who am I now?" as she dealt with her children growing up and her role changing. That question has just resounded with me-who am I now?

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hello fellow fabric fondlers and textile touchers!!
Ok IM in too!!It started with the handmade linen/crochet doilies.Then on to baggies of vintage fabrics 30's mostly..then quilt blocks(very small 4 patch .25 pc then on to sets of quilt blocks , random orphaned blocks an occaisonal piece of clothing..night gown,apron a table cloth here and there pillowcases
a few quilt tops.....PLus 6.5 years of discontinued drapery/upholstery showroom samples and memos.I wouldnt ber surprised if the floor in my room/porch gave way!!!My theory was I had to collect while the gettin was good and then when I retire or have free time I will start sewing..!! well Ive been out of work since April ( though I am doing machine quilting part time)I cant seem to get things finished.Cant seem to stay off this website either!!I LOVE chatting with my farmgirls!!!!!!Ok heres a proposal. how about we pick a project( organizing, cleaning or creative) GEt up on the mountaintop and declare it to the world.."here ye here ye all Farmgirls I do here now proclaim
that I will ....? until its finished!!"Then maybe we can encourage and inspire one another to " gir er done!Maybe post a pic if we can to show all our lovely accomplishment!?Its easy to get overwhemed. Lets just start with ONE MANAGEABLE THING!!
Who is up for it girls????
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
OH! I'm so HAPPY!
My Husband thinks I'm crazy- I have project after project, needle point, knitting, quilting, sewing, you name it. As well as the fabric and yarn and all the books and mags too.
I have to keep myself out of the fabric and craft stores. Walnut Creek has some of the most amazing yarn and quilting stores! Beautiful colors and materials. I'm a sucker for natural materials- oh, and they have to be soft!
I have currently three quilts to make, one for each of my boys- a shawl for a sick friend that I knit when my hand isn't aching, a lap quilt that needs the finishing touches for my Grandma, oh, and I think only two needle points that I've actually started.
Now, that doesn't even touch all the "pending" projects that I'm collecting for.
Now- after signing on here, I am adding aprons and mail art to my list.
My Husband is actually restoring an antique trunk- it's HUGE. For me to store at least some of my collection on fabric, yarn, mags, books, knitting needles, sewing needles, leather needles- crochet hooks because I am bound and determined to learn how.
Oh, I'm sure you get the picture.
I'm lucky he is so supportive! He even bought me a new sewing machine for Mother's Day. I'm sure he was tired of hearing me gripe about the snags my old worn out machine were causing in my quilting.

Thanks to all of y'all who open up and share- It's so good to know that while Steve may be right that I am crazy- I know now that I'm in some REALLY WONDERFUL company!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:19:35 AM  Show Profile
We are all so alike on this topic! I did not even confess this yet - after the needlework company I worked for closed, they had a big sale. Of course, after working there for 15 years, I got to choose what I wanted at no cost. So, I have baskets full of all thread counts of beautiful linen fabric for samplers and embroidery and cross-stitching. Thennnnnnnn.... there are the three plastic boxes of needlework pattern books. We published over 100 of them, and I collected others too. Thennnnnn......there are the two antique sewing boxes full of floss and perle cotton yarn.

I used to talk to our customers at needlework shows and they would tell me they had four drawer filing cabinets full of alphabetized needlework books! Nobody could ever stitch that much!!! But I loved those gals. They knew the beauty of textiles and handwork.

Showmemom - you will find yourself again, but it will take a little time. After my daughter married, and that is when she really began her own life, I went through that feeling of "who am I now?" Then I found my old loves and interests - and had time to enjoy them again. You will too, plus you will always have those babies of yours, just in a different aspect of when you were raising them.

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 02 2005 11:23:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Well girls, providence has stepped in...My computer crashed this am!!!! I am on my parents puter...Ebay and my credit card will be getting a break! Soooo, I have been scrubbing floors in my house like a mad women, and next will be cleaning out closets. I'll be checkin in as time allows. I love reading your "true confessions". I am sitting here laughing so hard...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page