junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile

Due to Hurricane Katrina, the stores here in my town are all out of Folgers Coffee and don't know when they will be able to get any in, it seems a warehouse full of Folgers flooded and tons of coffee was lost, was wondering if anyone else is having a hard time finding the best coffee around, ( folgers) and what would be a close second? Us farmgirls need their morning cup of joe to get started so I'm hoping you can help me find a good replacement till Folgers comes back to our stores.....sigh.....Thanks......

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Sue, I like Yuban as well as Folgers -- maybe even better since it is 100% Colombian coffee.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  1:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Sue, Yikes!!! Have not heard this! Have you heard of Eight 'o Clock brand? Not bad, comparable to Folgers and lower priced.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  05:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I like Don Fransisco's better than Folger's. Most grocery stores carry it.
Eight o'Clock is also great stuff!
Go to Top of Page

dawndi-bird
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Dawndi

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:53:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if you have access to a Dunkin' Donuts, but they have great coffee!!!!
Dawndi-bird
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry - I'm a coffee snob, so I think you're lucky you're out of Folger's! May be the best thing that ever happened to you! Try going to Peets.com and ordering online. I'm not sure if they deliver everywhere, but they might. If not them, maybe somebody else delivers. That way, you can at least get some coffee!
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for the positive feedback, will have to try those mentioned above.

Sisterhood of the Traveling art.....

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
(quote)I'm sorry - I'm a coffee snob, so I think you're lucky you're out of Folger's! May be the best thing that ever happened to you! Try going to Peets.com and ordering online. I'm not sure if they deliver everywhere, but they might. If not them, maybe somebody else delivers. That way, you can at least get some coffee!
Marlene (endquote)

I wasn't going to say it - but I thought the same thing as I hate folger's! I rarely have coffee (I let myself have a cup when deadline gets bad), so I splurge on good stuff and it lasts me a few months. I will check out peets.com!

Edited by - greyghost on Sep 14 2005 4:00:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  03:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I refrained from posting as well!!! I join the ranks of the snobbiest...I even blend my own. Going to learn to roast my own one of these days.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  05:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Sue, I'm with ya, Folgers is the best

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm on the whole-bean, grind-your-own side. Susan, when you learn to roast your own, let me know. I'd like to sit in your kitchen and inhale!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  07:10:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello to you all, As I sit here and drink my coffee and read what you all have said I will add my own "coffee snobiness"(if there is such a word?) While working in a health food store awile ago, I learned a little bit about a lot of things and one thing that I am so thankful that I learned about is fair trade coffee.
Did you know that coffee is the second highest commodity next only to oil? Did you know that while companies are charging anywhere from $9.00 to $22.00 (maybe higher) for their coffee the farmers that grew that coffee receive pennies per pound? Also these big companies don't care if the little guy is there tomorrow because they can always find another coffee grower down the road that is desperate for money. Now heree's where fair trade is the better answer. The companies that buy fair trade coffee such as JUST US www.justuscoofee.com work directly with the coffee growers to help them continue on with their crops and help them to build their communities.
I suppose I could go on forever talking about this, I am so very passionate when it comes to fair trade anything, sugar, coffee, cocao. They all cost a wee bit more, but buy supporting these farmers we are sustaining their communities and as farmers ourselves, would we not want a fair price for what we have grow with the sweat of our brows?
Thanks for"listening" Mellaisbella

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  07:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi again, I just realized that I spelled websit wrong it is www.justuscoffee.com ( oops) mella

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  10:50:11 AM  Show Profile
I buy Folgers only because I have yet to find a good, rich, dark coffee..I had some once at a resturant that was soooo rich it tasted like chocolate~~ I keep buying everything that says dark, rich..but nothing is like what I had before..I dont want a "flavored" coffee tho~~

Anyone else like it that way?
Any suggestions?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Good point about the Fair Trade coffee, Melanie. I always buy the fair trade blend at Peet's. I think it's a dollar more or something; hardly going to break the bank!
I think it would be fun to roast my own coffee, too, Susan. In the interest of "buying locally" I'd even like to have my own coffee tree! Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? I think they can be indoor plants, too. The San Francisco Chronicle had an article about this a year or two ago, but I didn't save it.
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  12:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, good point for sure, I will look into fair trade coffee here, haven't seen it in any of our health food stores but will keep my eye out for it, I don't order online so hopefully I can find it locally and give it a try, I don't mind paying a bit extra esp. in this case. Thanks for pointing this out to us. Oh, can you imagine roasting your own coffee and how wonderful the house would smell......
Herblady, I understand.....I too don't care for the flavored coffee unless it's for dessert sometime. Someone told me all the good resturants use Cains coffee, something to check into. Thanks all!

Go to Top of Page

crazymoose
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Caryn
Auburn WA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile
My aunt bought some folgers thinking it was instant she opened it and found out it wasn't, but she said if ya want it we could mail it to you, she had bought it for her mom, but her mom doesn't come over anymore. Plus, my aunt is a tea drinker. It just sitting in the cupboard.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Edited by - crazymoose on Sep 15 2005 12:29:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile
About that smell...
The SF Chronicle article I mentioned talked about this part. It seems when coffee is roasted, it smokes a lot and has a really strong burning smell. They recommend doing it outside and let the neighbors know that nothing is on fire! It actually sounded pretty easy, though; they recommended using a hot air popcorn popper (I kid you not)! Just throw the beans in and let it go.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  11:01:35 AM  Show Profile
I too would certainly be considered a coffee snob. We don't really drink it really in our house but when we have guests I love to play in the coffee isle at our local co-op. ALways get organic fair trade. Buying organic guarantees no cutting of the rain forests. Because in order to grow oragniclly they grow the coffee the way it would grow naturally - under the canopy of the forest instead of cutting it down. And well fair trade means no slaves. Anyway we I just love the coffee isle and I don't even like the taste of coffee, but I sure love the smell. About not being able to get it, my Dad just saying there will be a lot that kind of stuff hasppening because everything that comes from South America comes in through the Gulf of Meixco and up the Mississippi, so since the the Miss. can't be traveled on right now we're going to have a hard time getting stuff from out of the counrty using that route.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, Your so right about fair trade coffee and I think sqrl added the importance of shade grown. I've been trying to buy fair trade shade grown and organic for some time but now I think it is time to cut way back. My trips to Trader Joes to buy good coffee will be fewer because of gas prices. and there may be shortages because of shipping problems hmmmmm. Have the Prices around the country been going up???? I've been buying tasty beans for $6.79 for 15 oz. but it is time to cut back, conserve, be frugal make the gas, coffee and paper towels ect. last.....I know this could be a good thing, My grandmother use to say -a woman could throw out more in a teaspoon than a man can bring in with a scoop shovel,- I took that to mean that not wasting things in the kitchen was the best way to be thrifty and not waste the income. How many of you have a variation of this quote??? I guess I'll quit rambling here maybe I've had to much coffee today((((((((((
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Right on Kathy A. We should all be cutting back on our purchasing. We as North Americans are so very blessed to be able to buy what we want, when we want. I think that this hurricane is a big wake up call for so many of us. I was witness to a hurricane last year ( certainly not the scale of Katrina) Hurricane Juan. I wasn't a farmer then (as now being a dairy farmer we have big generators), and lived in an apartment building. We were 8 days without power/water/heat and we thought we were so hard done by. That was the slap in the face that I needed to cut back on things. Most of the things we buy are just that, things. Maybe if we all tried our best to buy local first and that would help out our neighbours as well. Oh, shucks, I am rambling on but thanks for listening

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, there will be many more storages now, and being frugal will be the smart way to get by. I"ve always been thrify and I buy local when I can. Anything that was shipped into the port in New Orleans can be expected to go up, coffee being a big one and now sugar too. Buying Folrgers is a treat for us, so far I haven't found anything cheaper that tasted good. I was gifted with a small bag of organic coffee and I love it and will treat ourselves whenever we can. Were also tea drinkers too. I shop once a week at a local salvage grocery store where I can save BIG time on alot, even a good line of organic items. Lumber has gone up by 40% and will continue to, I think it's time to live by our grandmothers advice and start a trend, frugal is cool!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  10:24:38 AM  Show Profile
For all you coffee snobs: Check out Craven's coffee roasted and packaged in Spokane WA. They make a blend they call Earth and Sky which is full-bodied and delicious. I know they ship to Tennessee, so they probably ship anywhere.

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary~~ I found the website at www.cravenscoffee.com~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile
For grocery store coffee I like Yuban. CostCo's Kirkland brand is ok in a pinch.

A gas shortage I can handle, a coffee shortage is entirely different.

It's my drug of choice and I refuse to give up my life long addiction.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile
A gal with the same name and addiction, I"m with you! LOL Thanks for understanding. It's gotten better here, our stores are getting some folgers in, the big cans anyway so I will stock up and am eager to try others listed here. Thanks to all who posted and to the one who offered to send a can, bless you, but the postage would be crazy, your sweet to offer and I appreciate the thought! Weather it be coffee, sugar or gas, I think we can all agree, many more storages are ahead, sadly.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic coffee shortage? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page